Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default Remaking the Mavs Bench

Rumors are that Utah wants to trade Boozer, and that Detroit wants to get rid of Darko, so how about the following two trades:

1. Utah trades: Carlos Boozer

Utah receives: Jason Terry and Shawn Bradley

Dallas trades: Jason Terry and Shawn Bradley

Dallas receives: Carlos Boozer

Utah does this to get a point guard, which they badly need, while Dallas does this to get a strong inside player to team with Dirk and Dampier

2. Detroit trades: Carlos Delfino, Carlos Arroyo, Darko Milicic and #26 pick

Detroit receives: Marquis Daniels, Devin Harris and DJ MBenga

Dallas trades: Marquis Daniels, Devin Harris and DJ MBenga

Dallas receives: Carlos Delfino, Carlos Arroyo, Darko Milicic and #26 pick

Detroit picks up a significant a upgrade for its bench and future at the guard position, while ridding itself of three internationals that haven't seen much playing time. Dallas picks up the potential of Darko, the toughness of Arroyo and Delfino, who will be Finley's eventual replacement.

Dallas line up after these changes:

PG: Arroyo/Armstrong
SG: Finley/Delfino
SF: Howard/Stackhouse
PF: Dirk/Boozer/KVH/Henderson
C: Dampier/Darko/Pavel

Dallas then cuts Armstrong and Henderson. Dallas signs Sarunas Jasikevicius with the mid-level exception and drafts Julius Hodge with the #26 pick, leading to this roster:

PG: Jasikevicius/Arroyo/Hodge
SG: Finley/Delfino
SF: Howard/Stackhouse
PF: Dirk/Boozer/KVH
C: Dampier/Darko/Pavel

Inside play is strengthened immediately by bring in Boozer, who is bigger and more athletic than Henderson, who ended up as the Mavs de facto reserve center. At least a combination of Dirk and Boozer should be able to compete physically with most front lines, while Henderson couldn't. KVH is still available to go to a smaller line up and for additional reserve strength. Darko and Pavel may be the future, at least one can hope.

The point guard position has been completely revamped. Jasikevicius is a proven player and a proven winner. He'll control the game and make sure Dallas gets the right shots. Arroyo will be a change of pace as a back up--tough defensively and tough all the way around. Hodge has enormous potential, can play three positions and is likely to be available at #26. If he isn't available, then either Jarrett Jack or Roko-Leni Ukic are likely to have fallen and be available.

I don't think Dallas can compete for a title with its current point guard rotation. Terry is a scorer, Harris is too young and unpolished, and Marquis is a make do at point. At the same time, Dallas clearly needs more inside strength to help Dirk--especially when Damp is in foul trouble or off his game. This set of changes brings in that inside strength for both the present and future. It also brings in a real, experienced point guard, an experienced back up and a future prospect. The only other change is bringing in Delfino as the new back up and successor to Finley. That's just a case of taking advantage of his unhappiness to steal a talented player.

Finally, if you could pull off a scenario where you traded TAW for something, then you'd be golden. Maybe you could pull off a deal likely Finley/TAW/#26 for Theo Ratliff/NVE with a little adjustment. Then you're really golden:

PG: Jasikevicius/Arroyo/NVE
SG: Stackhouse/Delfino
SF: Howard/KVH
PF: Dirk/Boozer
C: Dampier/Ratliff/Darko/Pavel

Now you're stronger at the point, stronger inside, and still have young players with talent at every position.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2005, 12:36 PM   #2
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default RE:Remaking the Mavs Bench and Point Guard position

That's the worst point guard position in the whole league - ranking right with Utah this season.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 01:52 PM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Remaking the Mavs Bench and Point Guard position

IMO, too much change. Keep them coming though.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

Boozer should go to LA. He is a great low post threat to complement Kobe. Lamar's Game requires him to handle the ball more which makes him more effective. In LA he can't do that. In utah, they need a guy like him especially if they were not abe to trade up in the draft to get a top point guard. I have been thinking about this trade for the last year and I believe it will be PERFECT for BOTH teams.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 03:27 PM   #5
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I Boozer is just an antwan walker clone. A guy that can get you easy points, but is undersized and can't d it up. Terry was arguably the best player in the playoffs so no way. Arroyo hasn't hardly seen the breath of day from two outstanding coaches. There is a big difference in being great in the Olympics and being great in the NBA.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

No way, too much change, and IMO this would at best be a lateral move in talent. I'm all for no moves over a move that is lateral in talent.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

they are not trading Harris.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:20 PM   #8
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

That is yucky. Harris for a bag of backups, yuck. Jet for Boozer is yucky too, you need to check Boozers contract, yuck.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:27 AM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see how this benefits us in any way shape or form. If it was just Boozer for KVH straight up, I might think about it. And Darko is intriguing. But so far, our weakest position has been PG and this makes us much worse.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:52 AM   #10
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I think some of you underestimate just how good Jasikevicius is--on the other hand, if (as Nellie said) Harris will be ready to take over this year, then we don't need to do much of anything about point guard (I still think we need some more bigs). I don't think we can win playing our current style (Avery style) with Terry at point.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:16 PM   #11
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of questions out there about whether Jasikevicius has the athleticism to be more than a backup in the NBA. I even seem to remember hearing Donnie, who's coached the guy, express doubts.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:11 PM   #12
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Harris for Arroyo No Way... No Deal
Old 06-21-2005, 08:16 AM   #13
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

It's more like Harris/Mbenga for Arroyo/Milicic + #26. You might not want to do that either, but it's not the same thing as just Harris for Arroyo (and btw, did you see the game in the Olympic qualifier where Arroyo outplayed Steve Nash?).
Old 06-21-2005, 12:46 PM   #14
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to just razz peoples ideas but this is an insane trade. True i love darko's potential but he wont be any better here than detroit because we wont play him either. Jasekivicius is not proven. If he were he would be getting a whole lot more than the mle. Boozer is a pf. Seems to me we already have one. Plus he is not bigger than henderson and he is horrible defensively. IF you can look bad defensively on a team with kirilenko (even though he didnt play alot) then you are horrible defensively. Delfino? You would rather have him being the heir to fin than marquis? I think that is a little iffy. Actually that is alot iffy. that brings me to arroyo.

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
(and btw, did you see the game in the Olympic qualifier where Arroyo outplayed Steve Nash?).
I did and did you see this year where every other nba point guard outplayed arroyo. Hell lindsey hunter is playing instead of him. That is essentially the equivalent of darrel armstrong playing in front of you. (I know he played in front of DH but ill get to that) If we were to trade Harris i feel that we need to get a superstar for him. Since i doubt that happens keep him here. He will be awesome. By superstar btw i mean your garnetts, tmacs, and kobes, or someone of their ilk. I like ideas but in general this is a terrible trade scenario.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 02:59 PM   #15
LuckyNumber5

LuckyNumber5 is on a distinguished road

I dont see why we'd give Harris and Daniels to Detroit...
LuckyNumber5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:05 PM   #16
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

It's not "giving", it's trading. I still think Darko has the potential to be a star in this league--better than Harris, and this is mainly a potential for potential trade, neither player has proved anything yet. The same goes for a swap of Delfino and Daniels.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:42 PM   #17
riDIRKulous41

riDIRKulous41 is on a distinguished road

Harris will be a star PG in the NBA. Just look at his highlights in limited play last year. He is a good shooter, explosive off the dribble (see the dunk over 2 bigs at Indiana) and a good defender (check his steals). He just needs a year or two of playing to stop making mistakes. Don't forget, you all booed Steve Nash his first year in Dallas too...now he won the league MVP.
Harris isn't going anywhere. He was the #5 pick in the draft last year, you don't just give up on a guy like that after one year and it isn't like he didn't play really well at times. It would be different if he stunk it up every time he went in, or couldn't get on the floor at all.

riDIRKulous41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 12:49 PM   #18
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

I didn't boo Steve Nash--even though I was at the game where he was booed so outrageously.

Harris was a #5, but Darko was a #2.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:52 PM   #19
riDIRKulous41

riDIRKulous41 is on a distinguished road

Harris has played and exceled.
Darko is a Dirk clone that hasn't been able to get on the floor. It is pure speculation on his potential. We have actually SEEN Harris play very well. Even if Darko fulfills his promise, you then have 2 of the same guy on the floor.

riDIRKulous41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:07 PM   #20
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Ridiculous trade. Mavs end up with too many guys named Carlos.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:40 PM   #21
Mavs Maniac

Mavs Maniac has a spectacular aura aboutMavs Maniac has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
Harris was a #5, but Darko was a #2.
Yes, Darko was a #2, so was Bradley... so was Sam Bowie (He went before MJ!). Olowokandi was a #1 as was Joe Smith and Kwame Brown. Don't get to caught up in the order of draft picks. They are all based on potential.
Mavs Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:22 AM   #22
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

Quote:
Ridiculous trade. Mavs end up with too many guys named Carlos.
I was trying to corner the market . . .