Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-01-2008, 02:10 AM   #41
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I'll go ahead and say it:

Romo. And by the end of the season, I think most here are going to agree with me. I certainly can't argue with Brees or even Warner. But I think Romo proved how valuable the guy is when he was injured (although some of that was obviously Brad Johnson's ineptness). Still, even with four fingers, he's putting up numbers as good as anyone. Now with the splint will be gone, the smile back, and new weapons at his disposal (Roy Williams continuing to learn the Cowboys system and Bennett gradually developing into a usable tight end), I think he's going to cement his place atop the NFL these last four weeks. He's gotta do it against tough competition, but I do think he's got it in him. We'll see.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 12-01-2008 at 02:11 AM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #42
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post

Romo. And by the end of the season, I think most here are going to agree with me. I certainly can't argue with Brees or even Warner. But I think Romo proved how valuable the guy is when he was injured (although some of that was obviously Brad Johnson's ineptness). Still, even with four fingers, he's putting up numbers as good as anyone. Now with the splint will be gone, the smile back, and new weapons at his disposal (Roy Williams continuing to learn the Cowboys system and Bennett gradually developing into a usable tight end), I think he's going to cement his place atop the NFL these last four weeks. He's gotta do it against tough competition, but I do think he's got it in him. We'll see.
If we can win 3 of the next 4, then I think Romo will make a very strong case for MVP (especially the way Brees & Warner have been playing lately - they both threw picks at pivotal points this week that ultimately cost their team the game...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:01 AM   #43
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post

Better if you go by passing efficiency. Warner and Brees are putting up gaudy yardage totals but they're only 3 TD's ahead of Romo. Plus he's throwing for more yards per attempt than both of them.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:15 AM   #44
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Yea I agree. I overrate Romo I admit but there's no qb in this league i'd take over Romo other than Brady and Peyton. And in a year or two I may be able to cross those two guys off the list. I don't think fans really know what we have in Romo. I guess it became reality when he went down and we had to rely on Brad Johnson.

I wouldn't even rule out MVP for Romo even missing 3 games this season. If Romo goes 3-1 in this stretch or.....gulp.......4-0 he's MVP of the league. Any qb who makes it out of this stretch alive deserves MVP.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:17 AM   #45
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
If we can win 3 of the next 4, then I think Romo will make a very strong case for MVP (especially the way Brees & Warner have been playing lately - they both threw picks at pivotal points this week that ultimately cost their team the game...)
One of the most underrated things about Romo is that he doesn't fold in the clutch. At quarterback anyway. A minor complaint guys have on him is he throws a pick or a fumble a game but they always happen in the 1st half it seems. It never happens at terrible points in the game.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:28 AM   #46
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quick comparison of Tony Romo to NFC Pro Bowl QB candidates

Hall of Fame scribe Rick "Goose" Gosselin doesn't think Tony Romo will get a ticket to Hawaii this winter. He might be right, but let's not be blinded by the historic yardage paces of New Orleans' Drew Brees and Arizona's Kurt Warner. Those guys aren't necessarily having better seasons than Romo. (We'll leave Eli Manning out of it, since the QB of the league's best team basically is guaranteed a Pro Bowl spot.)

Let's compare some stats that look past the fact that Brees and Warner play in pass-happy offenses:

Yards per attempt:
Romo 8.5, Brees 8.2, Warner 7.9.

Touchdown percentage:
Romo 7.0, Brees 5.1, Warner 5.1.

Interception percentage:
Warner 2.3, Romo 2.7, Brees 3.0.

QB rating:
Romo 103.2, Warner 99.4, Brees 95.9.

W-L:
Romo 7-2, Warner 7-5, Brees 6-6.
Romo owns.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 12-02-2008 at 02:28 AM.
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:01 AM   #47
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

To answer this question for real, I generally am of the opinion that the best QB in the league is Peyton. Yes, even better than a healthy Brady.

That said, this obviously has not been Peyton's best year. So, for 2008, I'm going to say: 1) Warner, 2) Brees, 3) Romo. Warner gets the slight nod over Brees because his team has more wins. If they had about the same record, Brees would be the clear-cut #1 for me.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #48
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

Brees has put up historic numbers despite losing his three top weapons for considerable amounts of time - Bush, Colston, and Shockey have all missed games and really haven't been 100% all year. It's hard to ignore what he's done. His team may not make the playoffs, but the fact that they are still even in the playoff discussion this late in the season is a testament to how great Brees is. He's the league MVP.
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #49
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

I don't believe the MVP award should go to a loser and right now unless Brees wins out the Saints will be losers. You can't deny what he's done without help around him but at the same time I don't think that's a good enough of an excuse just to give it to him. If we were giving out the Most Valuable Loser award Brees would win hands down. Maybe even Andre Johnson. But if we're talking about the MVP award i'd have to give it to a guy who's team is still in contention. I wouldn't even mind giving it to guys who aren't quarterbacks like Haynesworth or Harrison or Polumala for the Steelers. Maybe even Justin Tuck.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #50
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Don't get too excited about turnover numbers. Those are the same for any QB. Concentrate on TD's and on wins.

Give extra credit to wins.
you got favre sneaking into the top 10 now? And i happen to think turnovers are a huge part of being a qb.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:06 AM   #51
aquaadverse

aquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to all

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...nningtons-game

We are far from a great team, and I'm not saying he's the best. He isn't going to put up huge numbers, but it's nice to not cringe and wonder what bone headed screwup is coming next. For 2008 he should be in the top ten. I wasn't real happy when we got him, but now it's "Thanks Green Bay and the Jets". We would be closer to the Lions than having a shot at winning our division without him. Not going deep in the playoffs should we get there, but I'd be happy with it.

Even so, feel free to give us your mental midget, cause we wouldn't even hesitate.
aquaadverse is offline   Reply With Quote