Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-05-2003, 03:22 PM   #41
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vladimir Stepania

No one player is going to make a difference. So why sign this one?

I'll try a third or fourth time: Why sign any player? There is no magical "one missing piece" out there.

On a lighter note, I notice KGveteran give Kudos to certain posts. Are these due to the fact that they are thought provoking or due to the fact that they agree with you

In the particular case you're referring to, both.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:34 PM   #42
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: mikeinrowlett
I ask myself when considering Stepania....what if Sacramento or Minnesota or Lakers signed him. I'd think to myself....yeah and...so. I'm not sure Step is "the bulk" we are looking for. I think dooby if I got that right has made my point for me. No one player is going to make a difference. So why sign this one?
Then why ever sign anybody? We still need pieces and Stepania may be one piece of the puzzle. Why did we sign Marquis Daniels? Why bother drafting Josh Howard at no. 29? Other than because they are cheap, I mean.

No single move made by SAC over the last few years, or by Minn this year, really scare me. It is the sum total of their moves that made SAC a top team. Casell alone does nothing for me, but Casell, Sprewell, Jim Jackson and Kandi does worry me more than "yeah and...so".

We had holes last year which could have been filled easily, but we chose to ignore them and regretted it all year even though no single move would have put us over the top. Stepania alone doesn't mean much, but Stepania this year, plus Matt Harpring or Donyell Marshall last year, plus ___ next year might scare the tar out of people.

Quote:
On a lighter note, I notice KGveteran give Kudos to certain posts. Are these due to the fact that they are thought provoking or due to the fact that they agree with you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Everyone agrees with me because I am always right. If you don't agree with me, I will start typing LOUDER. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 05:00 PM   #43
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Looking at Player splits and so forth, I would take Stepania over Dampier, Foyle or Ostertag which are 3rd tier centers. Stepania looks like he has the ability to avg 6pt and 7brd in 28 minutes for the Mavs. Can he defend? I don't have a clue. If we were a poor shooting team he would avg 8 and 10, but we are not. I would definately give him a try because from what I did see of him against the Mavs, he tears up poor rebounding teams and will help us continue to beat all of the have nots and will probably help against a team like Sac. Lakers, Spurs and Minni are questions, but I say give him 2 years.

Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:23 PM   #44
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
I'd rather have Raef. He's much more athletic. Much more skilled. His upside is much higher.

Miller is a utility man - a lumbering bruising thug. Is he any better than Stepania? Probably not. The numbers say Step is a better rebounder. He's definitely got more range on his shot. Step is taller. He's more skilled. I'm not saying that Step is anything more than a backup center in the West, but that's about all I can say for Miller, too. Raef? I think he has the potential to be a very nice player in this league. We can likely get Step for around $8 mil for two years. Much closer to what he's worth than the ridiculous contract given to Miller.
Seriously, you would rather have Raef, who has shown that he has an inability to effectively play post defense against any premier PF or C in the Western conference, than Brad Miller? Brad Miller, whom the Mavs wanted to acquire, provides the intangibles the Mavs are looking for in a PF or C...he rebounds the ball effectively, he throws his weight around on defense, and he operates effectively out of the high post.

Raef, on the other hand, operates best on offense standing out at the three point line, picks up many silly fouls, and doesn't really rebound to save his own life, forcing Dirk to often collect 20 rebounds in games.

Granted, Miller did a great job in getting $68 million for himself...he's probably being overpaid to play C in the Western conference. But Raef isn't a C in the Western conference. His best years in Denver were playing PF and not guarding the other team's best post player, which is really what the Mavs need. The Mavs need "a lumbering bruising thug".

Also, to say Stepania has an offensive game comparable to Miller's is ridiculous. The guy hasn't shown that he has any offensive capabilities, and that was in the weak Eastern conference. In the West Stepania will be merely a defender and a rebounder...a perfect fit for the Mavs, but Miller would have also added a little offense. The offense Raef adds is the same type of offense Dirk adds, but not half as effectively since Raef doesn't move very well with the ball in his hands.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:40 PM   #45
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Why do we consider Raef and Bradley or even Esch not the centers that are going to save the Mavs? They are all considered soft. Why? Because they don't bang. When you talk about centerse you talk about a guy who can pass out of the post to guys like Dirk or Nash or Fin. This team can benefit so much out of that. Stepania doesn't fit that role. He rebounds well. Popeye rebounded well and the Mavs did not benefit from him. Stepania just another Bradley and Raef that can board. Matter of fact Stepania isn't even as good as Bradley and Raef he just does one thing they don't do very well and thats rebound.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 08:37 PM   #46
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why do we consider Raef and Bradley or even Esch not the centers that are going to save the Mavs? They are all considered soft. Why? Because they don't bang. When you talk about centerse you talk about a guy who can pass out of the post to guys like Dirk or Nash or Fin. This team can benefit so much out of that. Stepania doesn't fit that role. He rebounds well. Popeye rebounded well and the Mavs did not benefit from him. Stepania just another Bradley and Raef that can board. Matter of fact Stepania isn't even as good as Bradley and Raef he just does one thing they don't do very well and thats rebound.
Step is a much better banger than Raef or Bradley. He will throw his body around to go after the ball. Can you say the same about Raef or Bradley? Has Raefdley ever thrown his body around?

And Stepania might not ever be a superstar. But he does give us a better post defensive option than Raef and Bradley... and he does help with rebounding. Something that Raef cannot do... and something that Bradley can do against weaker competition.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 08:54 PM   #47
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Quote:
Step is a much better banger than Raef or Bradley. He will throw his body around to go after the ball. Can you say the same about Raef or Bradley? Has Raefdley ever thrown his body around?

And Stepania might not ever be a superstar. But he does give us a better post defensive option than Raef and Bradley... and he does help with rebounding. Something that Raef cannot do... and something that Bradley can do against weaker competition.

Bayliss I'm sold (I was already sold). Lets get him. Trouble is that the Mavs seem to have the same thinking(being cheap) as MikeinRowlett.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:09 PM   #48
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:

Thats my point. Just because Stepania bangs better than Raef and Bradley doesn't necessarily mean he is a good fit. If your getting rid of Bradley or Esch than you can talk Step but you have 3 centers on this team now that all do something that the other doesn't and thats not what we need. We need just one guy who can bring the bang, rebounding and shot blocking. I think Step is just adding on to the mess at the center position unless you plan on getting rid of one of the centers.

1996-2005
Old 08-05-2003, 10:16 PM   #49
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thats my point. Just because Stepania bangs better than Raef and Bradley doesn't necessarily mean he is a good fit.
But isn't that what we are lacking?I

Quote:
If your getting rid of Bradley or Esch than you can talk Step but you have 3 centers on this team now that all do something that the other doesn't and thats not what we need.
Actually... what Raef brings we don't need. And Bradley brings something that needs to be as a backup.

Quote:
We need just one guy who can bring the bang, rebounding and shot blocking.
You will not find one guy to bring all of those things.

Quote:
I think Step is just adding on to the mess at the center position unless you plan on getting rid of one of the centers.
Why do you have to get rid of one? Isn't Esch going to be on IR like he was all of last year? If Esch is on IR... then that means signing Step would be a very good pickup as a player playing 25 minutes a game as a center.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 10:21 PM   #50
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Can't we just trade for Shaq? Peter Vescey said the Knicks were gonna trade Charlie Ward for Shaq [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 10:23 PM   #51
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan
Can't we just trade for Shaq? Peter Vescey said the Knicks were gonna trade Charlie Ward for Shaq [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Sorry, salaries don't match Rhylan.
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 10:25 PM   #52
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road

"Why do you have to get rid of one? Isn't Esch going to be on IR like he was all of last year? If Esch is on IR... then that means signing Step would be a very good pickup as a player playing 25 minutes a game as a center. "

My problem is, I could, unfortunately, never see a guy like Nellie play a guy like Step 25 minutes.
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:40 AM   #53
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I consider them centers that will not save the Mavs because they are either not skilled enough to do so, or are not confident enough to use their skill. Whether Stepania is either of those things, I don't know.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:51 AM   #54
mikeinrowlett

mikeinrowlett is on a distinguished road

Cheap? Mark Cuban.....be cheap? Are the Jail Blazers cheap? Making some bad decisions and trying to make sure they don't happen again (signing step) is not being cheap it is being prudent. I don't care how much money Mark Cuban loses but I do care if he decides that decisions in the past and now in the present effect the futures moves of this team.

As Tom Hicks how bad decisions can effect all of that. He wants to win but reality has set in. I think this is true for Cuban as well.
mikeinrowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:08 AM   #55
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Another point to consider in comparing Cuban and Hicks is how big contracts are weighing down their respective franchises. A-Rod is the best all around player in baseball, but he wasn't (and isn't) worth $250 million over 10 years. Raef's contract has had the same chilling effect on Cuban...he has made mistakes in the past, and now he is a little more hesitant to throw money around...no crime there. It's not an apples to apples comparison, but I think each contract is having a similar effect.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:57 AM   #56
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Stolen from one of Madape's posts in "around the NBA" :

Stepania, 27, second in the league in rebounds per 48 minutes, made $1.35 million last year. Fleisher (his agent) compared Stepania's numbers to Elden Campbell's, who signed a two-year deal worth a reported $8.4 million with the Pistons.

Step...5.6 ppg; 7rpg with an 9.24 efficiency rating. 20.2 minutes....

So what kind of contract should he really get ? Not advocating that we sign him, just asking a question...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to NBA.com yesterday and used their "comaparison " feature....I HAVE NOT included blocks per game...Step is under . 5 per game and the others are well above that...no comparison...his shooting % is also pretty bad for a 5....

A comparison to Adonal Foyle..5.4 ppg; 6 rpg and an 11.52 efficieny rating. 21.8 minutes
Adonal Foyle $4,400,000

A comparison to Dampier:
Dampier...8.2 ppg; 6.6 rpg and a 12.35 efficiency rating. 24 minutes
Erick Dampier $7,842,000

A comparison to Nesterovic:
Nesterovic: 11.2 ppg; 6.5 rpg and a 14.9 efficiency rating. 30.4 minutes
Nesterovic: (new contract) 6 years for $42 million

A comparison to Kandi:
Kandi....12.3 ppg; 9.10 rpg and a 14.69 efficiency rating. 38 minutes
Kandi...(new contract) 3 years for $16.2 million.

And finally, a comparison to Shawn:
Shawn...6.7 ppg; 5.9 ppg and a 12.75 efficiency rating. 21.4 minutes.
Shawn Bradley .............. $4,000,000 (as reported by Patricia's for last year)

So let's just say that we DO sign Stepania....

What should he be paid ?

Old 08-06-2003, 10:34 AM   #57
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

I simply can't believe we're even discussing signing <u>Vladimir Stepania</u>.....jeez we're desperate.
He's OK, the only difference I see between him and a guy like Esch is his athleticism.

Sure why not, it could'nt hurt to sign him. He has size and athleticism, and you can't teach that.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:30 PM   #58
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Thats my point. Just because Stepania bangs better than Raef and Bradley doesn't necessarily mean he is a good fit.
But isn't that what we are lacking?I

Quote:
If your getting rid of Bradley or Esch than you can talk Step but you have 3 centers on this team now that all do something that the other doesn't and thats not what we need.
Actually... what Raef brings we don't need. And Bradley brings something that needs to be as a backup.

Quote:
We need just one guy who can bring the bang, rebounding and shot blocking.
You will not find one guy to bring all of those things.

Quote:
I think Step is just adding on to the mess at the center position unless you plan on getting rid of one of the centers.
Why do you have to get rid of one? Isn't Esch going to be on IR like he was all of last year? If Esch is on IR... then that means signing Step would be a very good pickup as a player playing 25 minutes a game as a center.

You have to get rid of one because you are full of centers who don't bring anything to the table. Bradley, Stepania and Esch are all backup centers. We are going to have a mess at that center position and alot of money tied up into underachievers. You can find a guy in this league who can bang, shot block and rebound. You won't find one who can shot block, rebound and bang exceptionally well but you can find one. Dampier is what I have in mind. Foyle fits that description but not sure if he is on the market. Stepania just isn't that guy. I think the Mavs have took the approach of "Well this center is better than the one we currently have so lets go after him" when they see big men and that needs to stop. Just because Stepania is out there doesn't mean the Mavs should sign him. His rebounding stats in 48 minutes look good but he isn't going to be playing 48 minutes here.

1996-2005
Old 08-06-2003, 04:21 PM   #59
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Vladimir Stepania

Quote:
What should he be paid ?
A couple of season tickets in the Platinum section, all we can afford.

Old 08-12-2003, 07:55 AM   #60
ZueriMav

ZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really nice

Just found on DFW.com Didn't want to make an extra thread of it. Some interesting comments of Donny: "Guys, take it easy: The off season has just started [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] "

Posted on Tue, Aug. 12, 2003 story[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]UB_DESC
Mavericks considering Stepania or a trade
By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The Mavericks remain interested in free agent Vladimir Stepania and might sign him, according to league sources, if they can't trade for a big man soon.

Among the possible trade targets for the Mavs are Dale Davis, Antonio Davis, Kurt Thomas, Vitali Potopenko, Brian Grant, Eric Dampier, Adonal Foyle, Danny Fortson and Marcus Camby.

Two bigger-name big men, Rasheed Wallace and Kenyon Martin, are not realistic targets for the Mavs, sources said.

Wallace is on the trading block in Portland, and Martin has said he wants to be traded. However, Wallace's contract (worth more than $15 million next season) and Martin's situation (he's a restricted free agent after the season and the Nets likely want to throw high-priced Dikembe Mutombo into any trade) make the chances of the Mavs dealing for either slim.

Mavs president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said the team is in no hurry to make a trade.

"It's a waiting game," Nelson said Monday from Lithuania. "Each team has a different set of circumstances. There are times when you think you're close to something and someone gets cold feet, the deal is too rich or someone throws a zinger into it.

"It's so tough to predict what's going to happen."

As far as available big men go, Stepania is probably at the top of what remains on the free-agent market. The 7-foot-1, 255-pounder just completed his fifth season in the league and averaged a career-best 7.0 rebounds per game for Miami.

Stepania, who made $1.35 million last season, is seeking a multi-year deal. Several teams, in addition to the Mavs, have shown preliminary interest.

"We've been in touch with Dallas," said Mark Fleisher, Stepania's agent. "They've expressed interest, and we've agreed to continue talking."

Nelson said the perception around the league that the Mavs are desperate to make a move for a low-post presence has affected negotiations.

"Everyone thinks we're desperate. We're not desperate," said Nelson, who returns from a coaching stint with the Lithuanian national team Friday. "We're ready to go to war with what we have. We're a good team, and we're not going to get pushed into a corner.

"We don't need to make a deal. Our best tactic may be to keep this team together and see what we have at the trading deadline. Pressure is self-inflicted, and we're feeling no pressure."

Nelson said the Mavericks would prefer to keep Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Michael Finley and Nick Van Exel together. But he said no player is off-limits.

"To get better you have to trade significant pieces to get significant pieces, usually," Nelson said. "In some form or fashion, everyone's name gets thrown into a scenario. That's the way the game is played.

"Of course, our preference is to keep the core together. But it's not like that's going to prevent us for making a deal that makes sense."

The Mavs are scheduled to resume talks with free agent Raja Bell after Nelson returns. Herb Rudoy, Bell's agent, said negotiations have gone slowly.

"Right now their offer is not very satisfactory," Rudoy said. "We're going to continue talking to other teams.

"Donnie and I have agreed to talk next week. Raja really wants to come back to Dallas. We'll just see what happens."

In his first season with the team, the defensive-minded swingman proved a valuable contributor, starting 32 times. Utah, Atlanta and San Antonio are also believed to have interest in Bell.

Insurance issues bug Cuban

Before the World Championships last summer, Mark Cuban voiced concern over the lack adequate insurance covering Mavericks playing in the tournament. Michael Finley and Raef LaFrentz (Team USA) and Dirk Nowitzki (Germany) participated.

Steve Nash (Canada) and Eduardo Najera (Mexico) are scheduled to play in an Olympic qualifying tournament that begins Aug. 20 in Puerto Rico. The Mavs' owner said his position on insurance covering his investments in players hasn't changed.

"Reggie Miller last year was the perfect example of why I am concerned," Cuban said. "Unfortunately, I have no say in the matter at all."

Miller sprained an ankle last summer playing for Team USA and missed the first 14 games of the NBA season.
ZueriMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 09:20 AM   #61
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Sounds like the Mavs will have to overpay Stepania in order to obtain his services. The Mavs have lost all bargaining power. At this point, the Mavs should just tell his agent to call back when he gets all the offers from other teams to see if they are willing to match or improve. The Mavs shouldn't panic like they did with Evan Eschmeyer...I can't justify paying Stepania more than $2 million/year, 3 yrs. There will be other free agents, rookies, mid-season trades that will make better sense, during the upcoming season or off-season a year from now...

Old 08-12-2003, 09:27 AM   #62
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

STepania is going to help. I would rather have him than Bradley or Esch.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:34 AM   #63
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nelson said the perception around the league that the Mavs are desperate to make a move for a low-post presence has affected negotiations.

"Everyone thinks we're desperate. We're not desperate," said Nelson, who returns from a coaching stint with the Lithuanian national team Friday
The reason everyone thinks the Mav's are desperate, is because they only had one plan, ZO. When that fell apart they did look desperate, calling on every available FA they could think of.
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:08 AM   #64
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
[i]
"Everyone thinks we're desperate. We're not desperate," said Nelson,[i]
Yeah! that looks like it all the way! BUt Nellie, whats your point?

Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:18 AM   #65
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
On a lighter note, I notice KGveteran give Kudos to certain posts. Are these due to the fact that they are thought provoking or due to the fact that they agree with you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Hehehe, I haven't noticed this. You're clever, mikeinrowlett, and learning quick about the connections. Keep doing it.

Getting in topic, what was the ZO plan? I don't remember well but did it include to pay him the 4.8 exception?

I mean, I think it wasn't even a plan. Yes, he said "yes" but not "when".

As MFF has suggested, we only can afford "plans" for drafted or rookies. Or old not good veterans.

Or renting them.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:47 AM   #66
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing new in this article that we haven't heard already.

Same tune, different day.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:04 AM   #67
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

Stepania does good work, isn't obsessed with taking jumpers,PLAYS HARD, and isn't on the IR all the time. Stepania should be a taller version of Eddie Najera, and thats what the Mavs need, someone who concentrates on rebounding and defense, and has no problem letting his teammates get the points.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:05 AM   #68
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
STepania is going to help. I would rather have him than Bradley or Esch.
I'd rather bring James Donaldson back than count on Bradley and Esch.

Old 08-12-2003, 05:55 PM   #69
Mavsgreatness

Mavsgreatness is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have any news on Stepania? I think he would be a nice addition
Mavsgreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 04:24 PM   #70
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

I hope they get Stephania. He is probably one of the best backup center's as far as rebounding goes. I'm sure the Mav's staff can help him with his offense, but he would be a big body that would move Raef Lafrenz to PF...
Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 06:13 PM   #71
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

He would be an ok addition, but not good enough to get more then 4.5, the Mavs already have 3 back up centers.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:30 PM   #72
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

I don't think the Mavs should sign Stepania. He would barely help the Mavs, if at all.

I don't get why everybody is on board with signing him. It seems you are all so desperate to make a move your becoming high. With almost every other player in the eastern conference getting bashed on this board simply for playing in the east, when you think you have a chance of signing one he is considered a great pickup.

He only grabs seven rebounds per game in the east, while not having to gaurd the other teams best post player, and Brian Grant gaurds the other teams best player, no matter how tall he is. Also, he plays for the Heat, one of the biggest bricklayers in the NBA. They have many more chances at rebounds than teams that can shoot the ball.

All in all, I don't see how a player that could only play 20 minutes a game against the easts second tier big men bang with the power players from the west.

I don't think he could help us when the playoffs come around, and when adding a player to a sixty win team, thats all that matters.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 07:57 PM   #73
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Well the Mavs are under the roster limit with letting Griffin, Williams, Jones, and Bell go.

They need someone to sign, and since they have added Daniels and Howard, I think they have enough depth in the back court.

But signing Stepania would allow Bradley and Raef to play in the game at the same time. For being a backup, and averaging 7.00 rebounds a game would make the Mavs alot better. With the line-up of 2 of those 3 in the games, the other players would have to worry about them alot more, and stop focusing on Dirk's attempt for the rebounds, so he would probably get a better number.

Having said that, he isn't worth more then 4 mill.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:38 PM   #74
S'nasty13

S'nasty13 is on a distinguished road

Money is the problem for the Mavs. Mark Cuban doesn't want to shell out 8 mil on a could be, Mark wants a sure thing. He offered Zo and Malone the MLE b/c he wants to save money from the luxary tax. I say trade raef and AJ for two or three role players. I am thinking why not deepen the bench. Make some cap room to get great players next year.
S'nasty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:41 PM   #75
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Well they just let 4 role players go, and Raef AJ are role players.

They need an impact player at center, they have enough role players.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:41 PM   #76
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

there is not going to be cap room next year or even the next year. we are way over it.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:43 PM   #77
one long blue sock
Golden Member

MLE? He is asking for 4 mil
Old 08-14-2003, 11:58 PM   #78
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Quote:
there is not going to be cap room next year or even the next year. we are way over it.
Absolutely fact, Mandy. Unless we unload Raef, Taw, NVE, etc...and don't resign Nash...ROFLMAO

so yes...we're going to be capped out.

Refer to my previous post in this thread....if the Mavs were to make a move for him...what should he be paid ? The closest comparison that I could find (and, admittedly it's not the closest comparison) among the so-called "availables" is Adonal Foyle...and that's a 4.4 mil contract....

My suspicion is that Stepania looks for that exact kind of money....(MLE type money)....it's just a question of whether he gets it from someone or not. I don't think he deserves that...but someone may bite.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:03 AM   #79
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

who besides Dallas is really interested in stephania? If Miami renounced him, and is low balling him, then why would Dallas pay over 4 mil for him?
I say no more than 2 mil for this guy, unless more teams step up to his plate.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:08 AM   #80
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Utah is looking at centers and can certainly offer more than what teams consider he's worth. I thought I read about Denver looking at him as well.