Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 09-30-2003, 11:06 PM   #1
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kill Bill

I haven't started a thread in the lounge in a skillion years, but I was just inspired.

Anybody else seen the trailer for Kill Bill? I honestly could not want to see a movie any less. I'd rather watch one of those old art videos we used to have to watch in 10th grade, with the pretentious British narrator who says, "re-NAY-sance" when he says Renaissance. Honestly. I can't imagine getting any sort of even perverse entertainment from this movie. And.. can someone send Uma Thurman to the glue factory?

Okay, I'm done.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2003, 11:12 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kill Bill

I read about this movie in some magazine (maybe Fangoria?). It will either be a GREAT movie with lots of twists or it will be an incoherent flop. There is so much going on in this movie that they had to split it in half and release it in two parts.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 11:33 PM   #3
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Kill Bill

Here's a link for those of you who haven't seen it. Actually, I really want to see it. Here's a quick premise:

After being shot and left for dead by her lover, a woman only known as "The Bride" emerges from a five-year coma with just a single thought on her mind: get revenge on the bastard that did this to her. It's time to kill Bill.

If you haven't seen the teaser poster, the tagline is "Here Comes the Bride." Clever.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:33 PM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kill Bill

Yup, throughout the whole trailer, I was more or less just thinking, "how goofy..." but then, at the end when it said part two coming in whatever 2004, I thought, oh man, this is going to be Ishtaresque. I dunno [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I really just have it out for Uma Thurman.. that's probably clouding my reasoning.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 11:37 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kill Bill

can't tell too much about the movie..but, the trailer seems to be mostly action..and the action looks rather mundane
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 11:39 PM   #6
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Kill Bill

I'm with ames. i'm looking forward to seeing it.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 11:42 PM   #7
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Kill Bill

I don't know why, it's just that much cooler b/c it's from Quentin Tarantino. I've always kind of liked his movies.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:11 AM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The scene I'm talking about is in the trailer, but in case no one wants to see or read anything about it, I'll put this up.

****Spoiler Alert****

The scene where Thurman and Vivica A. Fox are fighting in the house. They're tearing stuff up, things are shattered all over, and both are sweaty from fighting. The little girl comes home and they hide their weapons behind their backs and Fox asks, 'how was your day sweetie.'

Hilarious.

****End Spoiler Alert****

Chalk me up as waiting to see this movie.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:17 AM   #9
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road
Default Kill Bill

i've watched all of tarantino's movie multiple times, these 2 won't be exception.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:42 AM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Kill Bill

OK, well, I understand the teaser trailer was underwhelming. The new trailer is pretty good, IMO. As a lot of you know, I follow films in production pretty closely, and this is no exception. The press screanings are going on now. Foxnews posted on their website a pre-review. Their critic said it was the most amazing thing he'd ever seen. Every on-line review I have read said it is absolutely incredible and unlike anything seen in american film.

I know nothing about the grindhouse and kung fu films that are the source material and inspiration for this movie, but I gather this is a film you will either love or hate.

Harry Knowls (an admitted friend of Tarantino) posted his review and said that it is a landmark of american cinema. His comments were basically two-fold. First, the trailers show you nothing. The trailers are edited to reveal nothing about the story, and the shots are digitally altered to hide certain aspects of the film. Second, he is shocked this movie has an 'R' rating; he said the MPAA had to have been drugged not to demand this thing be re-edited. As to the first point, the shots in the trailer are digitally altered to hide, well, basically... blood and body parts.

I do know one thing. People where agast at the shocking violence in "The Wild Bunch". But it is now considered an american classic and a landmark film. I expect 'Kill Bill' to be the same and I will see it as soon as I can.

Just an aside. When I was in college, Pulp Fiction came out. Some friends of mine went and saw it the night it came out. Afterwards, they came over to this house we were all hanging out at and raved and raved. They the demanded that we, including them, all pile in the car and catch the late night showing immediately, which we did. I saw it again a week later. I saw it 5 times in the theater. It was robbed for Best Picture by Forrest freakin' Gump. Tarantino has directed just one film since then. I need to see this movie.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:58 AM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i've heard kill bill is super violent.

my view on this is that this movie will get two types of fans: tarantino fans (who have been waiting eagerly for his next film), and kung fu fans. i don't think the avergae movie goer will go to see this, especially since it has been broken up into 2 parts.

i like tarantino's other films (i've never seen jackie brown), so i'll probably see it. but i am not keen on the idea that i would have to see 2 movies to get the entire story (and before anyone says LOTR, that is totally different... most knew that the movies would have to be done in a trilogy style.)

anyway, i'll see it, probably... but after i hear some word of mouth about it.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:01 AM   #12
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Kill Bill

Matrix Reloaded. That just ends, too.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 09:11 AM   #13
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

right, and i did have a problem with matrix being like that. but the word got out pretty well that it was going to be a trilogy.

i understand that it's long enough to warrant 2 movies, but the only way anyone knows this is two parts is if they pay enough attention to the end of the trailer.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:43 AM   #14
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all
Default Kill Bill

According to Dunham and Miller this morning Tarantino was pretty loaded on Leno last night.

I originally was a bit dissapointed in what I had seen heard, but in the last few weeks I am hearing some positive buzz. So I'm looking forward to it.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 11:43 AM   #15
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

oh man, he was completely sauced. normally you can kind of tell that someone is drunk... but he was blatantly obvious to the point that jay had to comment on it... something like "been drinking a little tonight, quentin?" kevin bacon's expression behind tarantino was pretty funny. also, tarantino had a pimp cane with him. not sure what that was about.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:45 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kill Bill

bump
Old 10-10-2003, 05:51 PM   #17
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road
Default Kill Bill

I just went to see it and I was really impressed. If you like long fight scenes that are reminiscent of old kung fu movies this is the one to see. I have been beaten down with Tarrantino at points but this movie was great. I cant wait for Feb for the second one to come out.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:03 PM   #18
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default Kill Bill

It looks like a VERY strange movie, I haven't heard any critics that have liked it so far.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 03:17 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kill Bill

I saw it last night to get away from the depressing old-person house with all the doilies. It is the goriest movie I have seen in years, but somehow it is enjoyable if you can hold back vomiting. Don't take kids to see this one as it is one of the most disturbing movies I've seen since American History X

One scene you see the protagonist get shot in the head in slow-mo

another scene you see someone ram a knife into someones ribs with the young daughter watching

beheadings/decapitations galore

one villain is killed by cutting the top of his/her head off

another one is mutilated into a quadrapalegic

A character is raped, etc...

not a movie to share with grandma or the kids. I actually would have prefered not having watched it.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 05:55 PM   #20
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough
Default Kill Bill

IT SUCKED, it is the worst movie I have been to.

No surprises, and to much blood squirting 20 feet into the air.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:57 PM   #21
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default Kill Bill

Quote:
one villain is killed by cutting the top of his/her head off
So much for asking for a little off the top. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2003, 06:10 PM   #22
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I held off on seeing it this weekend. I wanted some opinions and the majority said how bloody and violent it is. More than it need be. Not to mention disturbing.

Now, I'm torn between seeing it or not.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:14 PM   #23
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default Kill Bill

MFF just don't bring any red Koolaid to drink. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2003, 11:34 PM   #24
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road
Default Kill Bill

Quote:
I wanted some opinions and the majority said how bloody and violent it is.
go to

rotten tomatoes, and u can see 81% of critics think it is a good movie.

however, even they agree this movie is ultra violent, although i believe those violence has a comic or cartoon feel.

personally, i think if the violence level in reservior dogs and pulp fiction disturbs u, u better keep away from kill bill.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:38 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Default Kill Bill

cool, superheadcat, i posted a link to that site before..
it's a wonderful site....
Old 10-13-2003, 09:21 AM   #26
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I liked it, but I like all of his movies, plus I knew what to expect going in. It it extremly violent. However, like Superheadcat said, it has a comic book feel to it. The violence doesn't seem real, so I didn't find it that disturbing.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:39 AM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Default Kill Bill

hell, since when has 'disturbing' been a negative connotation (sp?) with regards to movies?
Old 10-13-2003, 09:40 AM   #28
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, although it can go overboard. I like disturbing but I'll never watch Sleepers again. Most disturbing movie ever.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:11 AM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

Default Kill Bill

I love that movie..have it on DVD
Old 10-20-2003, 10:20 AM   #30
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ok... not a horrible movie, but certainly not a good movie.

tarantino better be glad he has his reputation, cause if this had been his first movie, it would never have seen the light of day.

i didn't know that blood could shoot out of the body like it was being shot out of a fire hose...

the major disappointing thing is the dialogue. it's really not very good at all. one of the best things about reservoir dogs and pulp fiction is the dialogue. good mix of humor and drama. there was nothing like that in this movie. the only times i laughed was at the ridiculousness of the blood-flow.

acting was good, but there wasn't much to work with. it was pretty stoic the whole way through. and it makes it even worse that we didn't get the whole story.

there is absolutely no reason this couldn't have been one movie. tarantino is so in love with himself, he thinks everything he shoots deserves to be in the movie. there were a number of useless scenes and waaaaaaaaaay too many scenes went on waaaaaaaaaaay too long. edit the damn movie!
Old 10-20-2003, 10:29 AM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Default RE:Kill Bill

i thought it was pretty good.
but, i didn't necessarily see why such a big deal was made out of it. Thurman was pleasant to look at when she wasn't covered in blood

i saw runaway jury this weekend as well..definitely a more enjoyable movie than kill bill
Old 10-20-2003, 10:53 AM   #32
LRB
Guru

I thought it was OK, but not great. Definitely gory. Worth afternoon admission price but not much more IMO.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:13 PM   #33
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

forgot to mention the one excellent thing about this movie. the soundtrack. very good.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:25 PM   #34
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
forgot to mention the one excellent thing about this movie. the soundtrack. very good.
I'd agree with that BBL. The soundtrack was very good.

Old 10-22-2003, 04:55 PM   #35
LRB
Guru

'Kill Bill' mocks innate revulsion toward cruelty

By Michael Medved
Has Hollywood finally gone too far in its dark obsession with exploitative gore?
Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill, which opened to surprisingly strong business on Oct. 10, represents a new low in its jeering, pseudo-sophisticated celebration of meaningless brutality.

Widely described as the bloodiest feature film ever released by a major studio (in this case, Disney's Miramax division), the movie stands out not because of the presence of graphic violence but due to the absence of anything else.

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 offers no characters, no relationships, no plot, no suspense, no clever dialogue and no resolution. Instead, it plays like an extended, unspeakably gory trailer for Kill Bill: Vol. 2, scheduled to be released in February. Other films will deploy extreme brutality to advance or intensify a story, but this one concentrates on violence as a substitute for story or intensity.

The main character, a pointedly unnamed, pregnant bride played by Uma Thurman, survives an unexplained wedding day assault, then arises from a coma to pursue an orgy of revenge. Tarantino delivers a buffet of murder and mayhem, with more than 100 performers slaughtered on screen — not just killed, but also horribly mutilated. One gets his tongue chewed off during an attempted rape of the comatose heroine; another dies as his skull is crushed repeatedly in a slamming door. Countless others watch their limbs being sliced off, with the director highlighting splashy (literally) technology that simulates spurting arteries that spray blood in a delicate, fine mist. Lucy Liu, playing a crime boss in Tokyo, punishes a fellow gangster for his disrespectful remark by slicing off his head with a single stroke of her sword and watching the still-grimacing face thud and bounce on a table.

"It's so violent," Liu proudly announced to reporters. "People will leave the movie theater or get sick in the movie theater. But there's so much violence that it becomes not numbing, but almost comedic."

Tarantino himself justifies his latest work in similar terms, denying any effort at realism. "This is definitely not taking place on planet Earth," he declared, insisting that the true setting for his blood-spattered martial-arts extravaganza is "fantasy land." This argument ignores the obvious fact that even though fantasies may not kill or maim, they still can corrupt and degrade. Treating graphic violence as a joke doesn't make it less disturbing or damaging.

In terms of mutilated bodies and splattering brains, Saving Private Ryan assaulted its audience with imagery far more realistic than anything in Kill Bill, and its Normandy battle scenes involved a higher body count. The horror, however, served an obvious purpose: not only dramatizing an historic turning point in World War II, but also unfolding a gripping story about fictional characters that Steven Spielberg depicts with affection and intimacy. Similar artistry informs Clint Eastwood's Mystic River, another shocking film about murder released the same week as Kill Bill. Unlike Tarantino's gore fest, Mystic River focuses on the emotional cost of violence, not just its anatomical impact. Even Tarantino's previous blockbuster, Pulp Fiction, interrupted violent set pieces with unforgettable characterizations and tangy, eccentric dialogue.

This time, the overpraised auteur and his star take perverse pride in the shallow, sadistic nature of their project. Tarantino calls it a "black comedy," and Thurman admits, "It's so violent I don't think the (Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences) will like it. It doesn't pander to the Oscar community."

Nevertheless, some influential critics (including Roger Ebert and USA TODAY's Mike Clark) hailed the movie for its bravura style. The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) awarded it the mainstream "R" designation, rather than the more restrictive (and vastly more appropriate) "NC-17," which would have banned viewers younger than 18. As a matter of policy, the MPAA never explains or justifies its rating decisions, but if this picture's unspeakably violent excesses didn't provoke an "adults only" rating, it's hard to imagine what additional gore a director must display to provoke that NC-17.

Kill Bill's most dangerous impact isn't the remote possibility that deranged moviegoers will imitate its bloody rampages, but rather that greedy filmmakers will imitate its soulless sadism. The movie represents another step in the desensitization process that erodes cultural standards and mocks our innate, healthy revulsion toward cruelty.

"I actually want 13-year-old girls to see this movie," Tarantino told Reuters Television. "I think this will be very empowering for them."

Just two years after Sept. 11 purportedly "changed everything," inspiring a short-lived sense of national seriousness that made it temporarily difficult to smirk at mass murder, Tarantino feels empowered once again to revel in context-free brutality for its own sweet sake. At a time when thousands of young Americans in uniform put themselves at risk to defend us against real-life killers, the entertainment industry promotes and praises a degenerate movie suggesting that death and combat are essentially trivial — worthy only of stylish artifice and winking, film-geek references to earlier exploitation flicks.

This cynical posture threatens to make us number and dumber, coarsening sensibilities and lowering the expectations of all moviegoers. Kill Bill also will generate new skepticism toward a pop-culture elite that hypes controversial violence not to send a message, but to distract attention from the lack of any message and to hide the essential emptiness of its enterprise.

Film critic Michael Medved hosts a nationally syndicated radio show on politics and pop culture. He is a member of USA TODAY's board of contributors.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:02 PM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Kill Bill's most dangerous impact isn't the remote possibility that deranged moviegoers will imitate its bloody rampages, but rather that greedy filmmakers will imitate its soulless sadism. The movie represents another step in the desensitization process that erodes cultural standards and mocks our innate, healthy revulsion toward cruelty.
Why? It's not like the movies doing all that great at the box office.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:35 AM   #37
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

did you guys read about the columnist for espn page 2 (gregg easterbrook - he does Tuesday Morning Quarterback) was fired from espn because of remarks he made about michael eisner and Kill Bill?

Easterbrook does other things besides football columns, pretty much writing about anything. anyway, he basically said that he's surprised that a jewish man (eisner) would agree to release a movie that glorifies violence (Kill Bill), because of the holocaust... the article kind of came across as "jewish people only care about money, so they don't care about glorifying the holocaust." so yeah, he was fired.

edit: found an article about it:

The Perils of Writing Before Thinking
Old 04-17-2004, 08:31 PM   #38
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

bump.

Saw Kill Bill Volume 2 yesterday afternoon. I loved the first one. I thought it was the most stylistic thing to come out of Hollywood in a long time. The music was fantastic, the cinematography was beautiful, I loved everything about it.

The second one, I would have to say was just as good, and quite different stylistically from the first one. Uma, Carradine, and Madsen are all great in the movie, and Tarantino did another excellent job directing. The scene with Budd and Uma (you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it) is one of the more disturbing things put on film, only because QT makes it so. I felt what Uma felt.

Great great movie.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 12:24 PM   #39
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

I'm actually curious to see this movie.
My question is...do I have to have already seen the first one to understand this one?
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 01:25 PM   #40
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

The first movie is pure revenge, and not a whole lot of story. Backstory is provided, but briefly. They flesh out the backstory a bit in the second movie. You could get away with just seeing the second, but I wouldn't recommend it. The scenes in the second movie involving Bill are much more powerful given that the viewer had not seen him before in the first movie.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote