Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default What's spinning in your DVD PLAYER? eh? eh?

I have watched two movies this week that I felt were worth mentioning...so, being a good little D-M'er I searched for them first. Neiter registered, so from now, why not make your recommendations in one thread...much like the CD player thread?

Anyway, the reason I had to start this thread was to tell everyone to go rent Sideways. That's a GREAT movie. I've always liked Paul Giamatti, but he was at his best in this. I know this movie generated a lot of Oscar buzz and has probably already been discussed in some obscure thread that I missed, but DANG...I just loved it.

I also watched Closer. Now, this had more to do with my fascination of Natalie Portman. Anything she does...I watch. I was disappointed. The whole movie was unbelievable to me. Two. TWO American women falling for Brits? Sheesh - yeah, right [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Seriously, I just thought the whole thing was unrealistic. I HOPE there aren't people out there that actually function remotely close to these 4.

And, even though I saw it a long time ago, I don't think it has been discussed either. Garden State. This movie is gold. Factor in the soundtrack and it goes Platinum. Probably my favorite movie of the last year+. I'm sure you have seen it already, but if you have it..I give it a definite "must rent."
Old 04-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough
Default RE:What's spinning in your DVD PLAYER? eh? eh? General Movie Discussion

i watched Saved the other day and laughed out loud.

AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: What's spinning in your DVD PLAYER? eh? eh? General Movie Discussion

That's a good one, AnMan21.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What's spinning in your DVD PLAYER? eh? eh? General Movie Discussion

The last movie I bought on DVD was the Dawn of the Dead remake, and I enjoyed it greatly...
Old 04-13-2005, 07:40 PM   #5
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Lately I've watched:

Chappelle's Show season 1 DVD
Almost Famous
Garden State
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I lost my Mr. Show Season 3 DVD, and I'm super pissed, because I always watch Mr. Show.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:55 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
The last movie I bought on DVD was the Dawn of the Dead remake, and I enjoyed it greatly...
Genius

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Napoleon Dynamite
Garden State
Lost in Translation
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Little Otik (a STRANGE film, but Im a sucker for Eastern European, Jewish folklore)
Motorcycle Diaries
Closer
Old 04-13-2005, 08:17 PM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Hey EL,
I know you liked Closer...why?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

Closer was my favorite movie of 2004... either that or Walking Tall. Take that for what it's worth.

Right now, I have the Star Wars: Clone Wars cartoon DVD in.. badass stuff right there.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #10
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

U571
Thirteen Days
Hunt for Red October
Suicide Kings
Old 04-14-2005, 12:11 AM   #11
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

I rented Spanglish and Suspect Zero today, I'll let you guys know if either one was good or not.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:29 AM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

sawa movie called Star Wars the other day....it may have lasting power...but we'll see.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:47 AM   #13
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

Spirited Away - usually can't get into animated movies (aside from the original Fantasia) but this one looks like a keeper.
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:49 AM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: mercury_rev
Spirited Away - usually can't get into animated movies (aside from the original Fantasia) but this one looks like a keeper.
I have friends that have told me that that movie is their favorite movie of the year/of all time/of all foreign films.

I maybe should check it out.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:51 AM   #15
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I hear there is a Shark movie that's coming out that will scare us all from the beach....yeah right.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-14-2005, 02:05 AM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Shark's Tale? I still havent seen it.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:12 AM   #17
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Shark's Tale? I still havent seen it.
haha, Shark's Tale scaring people away from the beach? I think Sike is talking about Open Water. I havent seen it, but friends have told me it sucked.

I just rented Saw. I thought it was going to be a blood and gore horror movie, but it was more of a psychological thriller. It had potential but the acting was just really bad, it had a good ending though.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:02 AM   #18
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I liked saw and i agree the ending was cool. One reason i probably liked it is from the lowered expectations that recent horror films have given me. They have been crappy so i figured it probably would be too. I like the comic book movies (Elektra is not very good but jennifer garner is well jennifer garner) Also i liked underworld and the two best military movies since at least 95 We were soldiers and tears of the sun.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:44 AM   #19
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

I absolutely loved Saw... I'm a huge psyh thriller fan.

The Village is pretty decent, nice twist in the story.

Team America - I love South Park so go figure.

TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:09 PM   #20
sike
The Preacha

there is suposed to be some WWII war movie coming out...where a bunch of soldiers go looking for Matt Damon...an odd plot I thought...but I'll see it none the less

Old 04-14-2005, 01:11 PM   #21
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Collateral was surprisingly fantastic.
Big Fish

those are the only recent movies I can contribute
Old 04-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #22
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: TripleDipping
I absolutely loved Saw... I'm a huge psyh thriller fan.

The Village is pretty decent, nice twist in the story.

Team America - I love South Park so go figure.
Village was awesome, Saw was better, and Team America was absolutely the funniest movie I've ever seen. I also have 54 episodes of South Park downloaded onto my hard drive right now.

If you liked Saw, watch Se7en. It's the same concept only longer.

I'm not into drama flicks a whole lot, but Road to Perdition was amazing, as was the Green Mile.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:21 PM   #23
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
and far better.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:25 PM   #24
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Five-ofan
I liked saw and i agree the ending was cool. One reason i probably liked it is from the lowered expectations that recent horror films have given me. They have been crappy so i figured it probably would be too. I like the comic book movies (Elektra is not very good but jennifer garner is well jennifer garner) Also i liked underworld and the two best military movies since at least 95 We were soldiers and tears of the sun.
Military movies? Man, I could go on and on and on about those. There has been some excellent movies in the last 10 years, depending on how loosely you define military.

Buffalo Soldiers
Gladiator
Braveheart
Just off the top of my head...
Old 04-14-2005, 02:56 PM   #25
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
and far better.
Definitely agree with you on that one, Sikey muh boy, there's things from that movie that still creep me out like crazy, and last time I saw this movie was about 7 or so years ago... (like the 'sloth' victim [shudders])
Old 04-14-2005, 03:30 PM   #26
sike
The Preacha

one of the greatest crime dramas ever... I know of few better.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:47 PM   #27
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

I truly think Se7en is the blue print of all the new pschological thriller involving a serial killer... that and Silence of the Lambs. There're similarities between Se7en and Saw but Se7en is far better.

By the way, you're not a fan of Se7en of you spell it Seven. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2005, 06:05 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Good call Evil...it was surprisingly solid.

And good call to whoever said Saved and Sideways.... brilliant.

Has anyone seen Mean Creek?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:27 PM   #29
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

I have, Murphy. I thought it was awesome. I love those low budget movies like that.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:09 AM   #30
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Loved gladiator and braveheart not including them because i wasnt specific enough. Meant modern military. Was more comparing them to saving private ryan(Good but not as good as the hype), like the thin red line and things like that.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:53 AM   #31
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

Although it received negative reviews, I like A.I. and rented the DVD twice. The ending is so out of whack that I think it's brilliant.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:09 PM   #32
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Suspect Zero - I've seen worse. I liked the whole idea behind the movie. I wasn't really paying too close attention while I watched it, though.

Spanglish - I thought this was a great movie, in spite of itself. It was as if they were TRYING to make it stupid just because the stupid narration had nothing to do with the movie. BUT, I still liked it. I thought Tea Leonni (sp?) did a great job. PAZ VEGA....drool.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:45 AM   #33
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Rambo III.

Good Stuff.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:58 AM   #34
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Orgazmo
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 12:19 PM   #35
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
Orgazmo
HAHA. Everything by those guys is funny.

DId you see Baseketball?
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 12:46 PM   #36
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
Orgazmo
did they have an R-rated version of that movie or just the NC-17?
Old 04-17-2005, 01:54 PM   #37
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see, Shaun of the Dead, A Clockwork Orange (for the first time actually), revisiting the Ring, Spiderman 2 on the PSP [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img], and I'm starting Band of Brothers again this afternoon, probably after the Mavs game I won't be able to see because of the tyrant big wigs at ABC sports.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:36 PM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought Hotel Rwanda.... Cheadle was screwed big time in the Oscar race last year.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 07:23 PM   #39
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Sideways
The Machinist
Shaun of the dead

and a whole lot of asian movies like:

Pornostar (no not a porn movie at all just goes by that title)
One night in mongkok
Oldboy
House of flying daggers
3-Iron
Dolls
Barking dogs never bite
Ichi the killer

I´m pretty much into asian movies right now. Those above are some of the ones that I´ve seen recently and did like. Takeshi Miikes Black Society trilogy also wasn´t bad.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 08:18 PM   #40
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

You have good taste, Fidel. Ichi the Killer is a great movie, and an even better manga...

Tags
annoying thread title, cadfail goes to work, flash fluff warning, got a bit fluffy in here, inception geeks..., stupidgookisstupid, what the fluff?