Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 09-21-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Default 100 - Tech's magic number?

Can Tech hit the century mark?
After an 80-point week, can 100 be next for Tech?

By Randy Riggs
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Some call it running up the score. But in reality, all Texas Tech is doing is running its offense.

When Mike Leach's spread formation is clicking, like last Saturday and surely again this Saturday, you can get scores like 80-21 vs. Sam Houston State and heaven-knows-what against Indiana State this week.

And for the record, the Red Raiders don't short out scoreboard fuses only against Division I-AA teams. Just ask California. Or Nebraska. Or Texas Christian. The Cornhuskers and Horned Frogs each allowed 70 points to the red-and-black steamroller last year. Cal, the nation's fourth-ranked team, surrendered "only" 45 points in the Holiday Bowl.

What might transpire this weekend against the Sycamores has mind-boggling potential. Indiana State (0-3), after all, gave up 42 points in a home loss to St. Francis, an NAIA school from Fort Wayne, Ind.

Tech's first-year starting quarterback, Cody Hodges, has even dared to mention the "H" word -- hundred. As in 100 points in a game.

The last Division I-A team to do that was Houston in a 100-6 nail-biter over Tulsa in 1968.

"If we play well and we capitalize on every drive, I think we could score a hundred points," Hodges told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. "I think if we're going to do it, we need to do it next week (vs. Indiana State). But we're not worried about points. As long as we're moving the ball and getting first downs, the points are going to come."

Hodges, a fifth-year senior, later sought to clarify his comments. He said he meant no disrespect toward the Sycamores and that the Red Raiders' goal is to score a touchdown on each possession.

Name an offense that doesn't have that as its goal. The thing is, Tech seems more capable of batting .1000 than just about any other team out there because when the Raiders get rolling, it's a fearsome thing to behold. It's also fun to behold, as long as you're not on the receiving end.

Leach has insisted forever that it's not his goal to run up scores. Rather, it's his goal to get his spread-the-wealth offense running as smoothly as possible, even with the backups on the field. Tech throws the ball, so the backups are going to be playing catch, too. That's what they do.

And if the score approaches triple digits?

"I don't think about it," Leach said. "If you happen to put some points on somebody, it affects who you play out there, but it doesn't affect how you play or how hard you play."

The eternal question, though, is when is enough enough? That, suggested third-year Baylor Coach Guy Morriss -- whose Bears have allowed an average of 57.2 points to the Raiders over the last four seasons -- shouldn't be Leach's concern.

"I've always thought it's not the opponent's problem, it's our problem to get them stopped," said Morriss. "I don't have a problem with people scoring points, because that's what you ask people to do."

And the Raiders certainly can do it, even against good defenses. The season is young and the opponents will improve, but Tech currently leads the nation in scoring, passing offense and total offense.

That's nothing new, either. It doesn't matter if it's Hodges, Sonny Cumbie, B.J. Symons or Kliff Kingsbury, Leach's quarterbacks are going to throw the ball. And they have a wealth of wide receivers, this year headed by Robert Johnson and Jarrett Hicks, who are going to catch it.

That's what they do, folks. And as Morriss noted, if you can't stop it, that's your problem.

rriggs@statesman.com
Old 09-21-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 100 - Tech's magic number?

talk about going overboard with this one..

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:06 PM   #3
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I'm not going to waste my time reading this...but is this some sort of reference to their strength of schedule? 'Cause if that's the case it should be closer to 112 or so.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:100 - Tech's magic number?

No it will be higher by the time the conference slate rolls around and you add in the two other texas teams but hey we could of always scheduled a hard team and given up 70.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:14 AM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
I'm not going to waste my time reading this...but is this some sort of reference to their strength of schedule? 'Cause if that's the case it should be closer to 112 or so.
It speaks more to their style of play regardless of opponent.

By the way, how's that strength of schedule working out for the Hogs? Oh... I see.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:59 AM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
Quote:

By the way, how's that strength of schedule working out for the Hogs? Oh... I see.
I'm with Ocelot. I see no reaon why they couldn't score 105 or even 108.

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:53 AM   #7
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
Quote:

I'm with Ocelot. I see no reaon why they couldn't score 105 or even 108.
I thought he was saying Tech's strength of schedule ranked the lowest among Divison I schools.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

He was. Like I said earlier Id rather be the monstrously better team beating the crap out of someone than the team that doesnt deserve to be on the field with the team that is beating the crap out of me. I guess our friends from arkansas would rather have it the other way around.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:23 PM   #9
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Nope. Arkanas football is an embarrassment and Houston Nutt will not be here next year (finally). HOWEVER, Tech will never get respect with their schedule. Never. You guys know it so you trash Arkansas...nice.

FYI: The USC/Arkansas series was scheduled when USC was a doormat. Just seems the tides have turned.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:43 PM   #10
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Teasing not Trashing Ark.

Tech will always be the Big 12 south's stepchild. UT, A&M and OU will always get more press, more hype and more respect. The Raiders killed Nebraska last year and what did the headlines read?

"Nebraska loses to Tech"
"Huskers downed by Raiders"
or somesuch... basically stating the Husker game was a fluke. That was on national TV and what should have been a TT coming out party turned into a pity party for Callahan.

The point is Leach has been building something special out in the south plains and nobody cares. Any hype is good hype at this point. The raiders deserve some pub, and if they get it by scheduling and demolishing creampuffs then so be it.

I would love for a 10-1 TT to sneak into the BCS picture. If their only loss of the year comes at the hands of the No. 2 team in the country then let the debate begin. Bashing or Praising - Tech needs some media attention.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:43 PM   #11
yukmunky

yukmunky is on a distinguished road

Kansas St. has scheduled nothing but doormats for years and they have received plenty of respect. The big risk for Tech is in costing themselves positioning in the BCS rankings should they be in competition for a BCS spot. That may sound unlikey, but at this point in time it appears Tech will be favored in every game from here on out except for the game in Austin.
yukmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:35 PM   #12
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

I definitely think Tech is good. Don't get me wrong. If they played my Razorbacks, they'd probably put up 90+. The Hog's defense is ATROCIOUS. Vomit inducing. Ugh.

Leach would be in my top 5 to replace Houston Nutt WHEN he gets fired. It'd be so much fun to watch that offense.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:24 AM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Tech's schedule improves greatly next year. I believe they play TCU, SMU and UTEP non-conference. They could easily lose to UTEP.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:35 AM   #14
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Tech's schedule improves greatly next year. I believe they play TCU, SMU and UTEP non-conference. They could easily lose to UTEP.
The 'stangs are coming to Lubbock. I know they play in Ft. Worth... are they at El-Paso too?

Old 09-23-2005, 11:51 AM   #15
yukmunky

yukmunky is on a distinguished road

That is pretty much the same level of competition as their non-conference schedule last year and they play 2 out of 3 on the road again. All that happens is that UTEP replaces New Mexico which are very similar programs. Both schools are good mid-majors, relatively close to Lubbock, and have a history of bad blood with Tech in both football and basketball. The game will be in El Paso and you can count on the crowd being plenty large and rowdy.
yukmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 12:18 PM   #16
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Amon Carter only seats like 45K. That's gonna be a damn hard ticket to get.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:53 PM   #17
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

TX state narrowly missed pulling a huge upset against the Aggies. A few years ago the aggies lost to Mcneese St. Both schools are double a opponents. in football you can't take teams for granted no matter how bad they might be.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:56 PM   #18
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

UTEP's program is on the upswing, though. That's a dangerous game for Tech. Mike Price is a damn good coach.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:33 PM   #19
Five-ofan
Guru

Off to go watch the slaughter. I really hope we either pull of at around 56(my personal preference) or go all the way and score 100. I mean if were not gonna pull off we may as well completely destroy them. All the same I would rather us pull of at around 56
Old 09-24-2005, 05:58 PM   #20
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nope. Arkanas football is an embarrassment and Houston Nutt will not be here next year (finally).
Doesn't seem that long ago when Nutt was considered to be one of the better college coaches in the nation. As recently as two years ago they beat Texas in Austin and had a pretty nice team. What happened and why have the Arkansas faithful turned on him?
Old 09-24-2005, 06:15 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

If Tech tries to run up 100, Leach should be fired.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 03:45 AM   #22
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
Nope. Arkanas football is an embarrassment and Houston Nutt will not be here next year (finally).
Doesn't seem that long ago when Nutt was considered to be one of the better college coaches in the nation. As recently as two years ago they beat Texas in Austin and had a pretty nice team. What happened and why have the Arkansas faithful turned on him?
I've never liked him. Never. His resume for getting that job was being a good salesmen to the BOT. The man was freaking 4-7 at Boise State the previous year before taking over at Arkansas. Boise State has won just about every game since he left. I could have lived with him up until that 2003 season. That team, after beating Texas, had a great shot at a BCS game. Then Nutthugger comes out and tries to revolutionize the offense and throw against Auburn when we've been running with gusto all year long (and ran, in small doses, well against Auburn). That was my absolute turning point...that game. Now the rest of the fans are turning on him.

I know most here won't believe it, but Arkansas could be an elite program with the right coach. The fan support, facilities, and money are all there. The next step? Butch Davis. It'll probably take >$2mill a year to get it done, but if that's what it takes...by all means do it.