Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-09-2007, 01:13 AM   #41
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
In general I agree chum, the player can provide his services or not and should maximize his revenue.

I'm not sure about going back to china and retrying the NBA again. I think milwaukee retains his NBA rights forever.
The Bucks retain his rights for one year. As long as he doesn't play pro ball anywhere else he can enter the draft again next season.

That's why I don't have an issue with what he is doing. He is playing by the rules that are in place and he isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before (although very rarely). He just happens to be foreign. Actually, a few years ago one of Orlando's picks told them he wasn't reporting, so he isn't even the first foreigner to pull this. If you don't like where you get drafted you have the right to walk away from the money and not play....

Chum...good point about college kids being able to go back to school if they don't like where they were picked.
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2007, 02:31 AM   #42
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

That would be a great loss for the Bucks to have this high of draft pick and lose it. Yi hasn't looked all that good so far but i notice he is shooting alot of ft's. He must drive alot and get fouled.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #43
Henry_VIII

Henry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Is there any discernable difference between "sport" and "reality TV"? There is none that I am aware of. Sport is real, right?
If you believe reality tv is real, then I guess not
Henry_VIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:10 AM   #44
Henry_VIII

Henry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Without marketing and sponsorships, there would be no NBA.

On that note...there would be no "many things".
That's not entirely true. The survival of the game of basketball is not dependent upon money. However, the amount of cash flowing into the business does make it tempting to put the game on the back burner.

I don't see it as all business or all sport. I see it as a mixture of both. However, the sport side must be allowed to play out without interference. So far, I think the system is working fine. Yi's agents (ie the Chinese government) are throwing a hissy-fit and the Bucks are holding ground. As long as Stern doesn't interfere and force the Bucks into a trade, I have no problems with how this is playing out.
But my original point still stands. The draft is primarily for the benefit of the teams. If the team and Yi can't come to an agreement then the Bucks can trade him away or let him sit out for a year. The only outcome that would tick me off is where the Bucks get stiff-armed into giving up Yi for practically nothing for the sake of the NBA business.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #45
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry_VIII
That's not entirely true. The survival of the game of basketball is not dependent upon money. However, the amount of cash flowing into the business does make it tempting to put the game on the back burner.

I don't see it as all business or all sport. I see it as a mixture of both. However, the sport side must be allowed to play out without interference. So far, I think the system is working fine. Yi's agents (ie the Chinese government) are throwing a hissy-fit and the Bucks are holding ground. As long as Stern doesn't interfere and force the Bucks into a trade, I have no problems with how this is playing out.
But my original point still stands. The draft is primarily for the benefit of the teams. If the team and Yi can't come to an agreement then the Bucks can trade him away or let him sit out for a year. The only outcome that would tick me off is where the Bucks get stiff-armed into giving up Yi for practically nothing for the sake of the NBA business.
In the interest of the game, and international pressure -- I am guessing that eventually Stern tells Mil to trade him or Mil decides that the hassle isn't worth it. Either way Mil - I expect to get all they can for him. This really isn't much different than any other rookie holdout, except the issue isn't money.

I will actually be surprised if Mil didn't draft him for a trade with someone anyway. I can see Terry in Mil for someone and Yi. I can see several options for him in GS. Houston might make a play for him and it might be a good idea to unite him and Yao together.

I haven't checked out the players, numbers, or anything, but James, TMac, Battier, Yi and Yao sounds like a lineup that could be very good in 2-3 years.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #46
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
I haven't checked out the players, numbers, or anything, but James, TMac, Battier, Yi and Yao sounds like a lineup that could be very good in 2-3 years.
Then sign Sun Yue and bring back Wang Zhi Zhi/Mengke Bateer and you've got Team China.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #47
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry_VIII
That's not entirely true. The survival of the game of basketball is not dependent upon money.
Of course the game in itself isn't dependent on money. But that's not what I said. I said that the NBA was dependent on marketing and sponsorships.

Think about it. An NBA without marketing and sponsorships. That means low to no television broadcast. Take out most of the NBA gear that you see in retail. Reduce game attendance by hundreds if not thousands. And get ready for this one...NO NBA Cares. =/

You'll basically end up with the ABA. Have you heard about the ABA lately? I haven't. =/

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #48
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

The NBA would be dead without marketing. It would become like the And1 Mixtape tour, relying on gimmicks to attract a fanbase. Without marketing, you would have no superstars, you would not be able to distinguish any of the faces that you do now because of advertisements and endorsements, the youth of America wouldn't come across VC's windmill dunk or Jordan's tongue wagging, or anything that defines each player. There would be no Yao Ming's or Dirk Nowitzki's because the NBA would be a very isolated entity just talked about within the restricted walls of each NBA city.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 07-09-2007 at 01:32 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #49
Henry_VIII

hmmm.....
I'm not arguing for the removal of marketing from the NBA. I'm in full support of it in fact (for the same reasons you listed ty/alby--well maybe minus NBA Cares ). I just believe that you must protect the product. If the product is compromised for the sake of the marketing, then it is only time before the product is worthless. So far, I see no tampering . Hopefully, the business side is able to work all of this out to every one's satisfaction. I will be disappointed if China's marketing machine is able to encroach on Milwaukee's franchise interests.

Edit:
Summation: The product is equally important to the marketing machine promoting it.

Last edited by Henry_VIII; 07-09-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #50
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

That is true, you can't tamper with the product--but the fact of the matter is, there are holdouts and trade demands every single year. To me, this isn't very different.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:57 PM   #51
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think I recall that if a collegiate player declares but doesn't hire an agent, he retains his collegiate eligibility and can enter the draft fresh next year.
If a college player declares, does NOT sign with an agent, and withdraws his name from the draft on time, then he retains his eligibility.

If he declares, does NOT sign with an agent, but does not withdraw his name on time, he loses his eligibility (except for a battle between randolph morris and the NCAA last year).

If he declares and signs with an agent, BOOM, no eligibility, whether he withdraws his name or not.

that's my understanding.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:07 AM   #52
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
If a college player declares, does NOT sign with an agent, and withdraws his name from the draft on time, then he retains his eligibility.

If he declares, does NOT sign with an agent, but does not withdraw his name on time, he loses his eligibility (except for a battle between randolph morris and the NCAA last year).

If he declares and signs with an agent, BOOM, no eligibility, whether he withdraws his name or not.

that's my understanding.
Are you sure about this? When C.J. Miles was drafted in the second round by the Jazz a couple of years ago there was still a question as to weather he'd sign with the Jazz or play at Texas.

Maybe the rule is different for high school seniors.

Last edited by dirno2000; 07-13-2007 at 12:07 AM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:10 AM   #53
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
If he declares, does NOT sign with an agent, but does not withdraw his name on time, he loses his eligibility
If the player is not drafted then he regains his eligibility. At least I think it's correct. I read this story on Morris earlier this year which seems to go along with that notion.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2812039

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Randolph Morris lost in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, and still might get to play in big games in late March.

A week after playing in his final college game for Kentucky, Morris went through his first NBA practice Sunday, two days after signing with the New York Knicks.

"That's the best situation ever," Knicks guard Stephon Marbury said. "We were talking about that when we were stretching this morning, how he just went right from playing a game into playing in the NBA. That's definitely a unique situation."

According to the Knicks, Morris is the first player to go from playing in the NCAA Tournament to being on an NBA roster in the same week. He could even see his first action as early as Monday night, when the Knicks host the Orlando Magic in a huge game for New York's playoff hopes.

With New York severely limited by injuries, the 21-year-old Morris may even be thrown into the game against Magic All-Star Dwight Howard, a teammate of Morris' on an AAU championship team from Atlanta in 2003.

"Hey, you never know," Knicks coach Isiah Thomas said.

Morris scored 22 points on March 18 in Kentucky's 88-76 loss to Kansas. On Sunday, he was wearing a No. 5 practice jersey for the Knicks, who began the day 1½ games back of three teams, including Orlando, for the final two playoff spots in the Eastern Conference.

"It's a weird feeling," Morris said. "They showed the most interest in me and I feel like they have my best interests at heart."

The 6-foot-11, 260-pound Morris originally declared for the 2005 draft but was not taken. He returned to school and played two more seasons as a free agent who was ineligible to be drafted.

Morris said the Knicks had contacted his parents, and he decided to make the jump after Tubby Smith left the Wildcats to coach the University of Minnesota earlier this week.

"It was basically the final factor that made me comfortable leaving because I was teetering back and forth," Morris said. "It just happened that he left and that's basically made me more comfortable making my decision. It would have been a tougher decision for me, because obviously I was comfortable with his system and I had a great season."

Morris averaged 16.1 points and shot 59 percent from the field this season.

Thomas said bringing Morris in now was "almost like having two picks again this year." But even if the Knicks consider Morris a player of the future, he will fill a role now, even if it's just as a practice player. New York is woefully short on bodies, with Quentin Richardson, Jamal Crawford and David Lee all either out or doubtful for Monday's game because of injuries.

Also, starters Eddy Curry and Steve Francis didn't practice Sunday because of flu-like symptoms. So Thomas didn't hesitate when asked if he would feel comfortable putting Morris in a game this season.

"If he can help us win, yes," Thomas said.

Last edited by MFFL; 07-13-2007 at 12:11 AM.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:21 AM   #54
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

yes, and that was a HUGE fight with the NCAA to get his eligibility back. He's the only person that the NCAA has allowed back. That probably set a precedent now, to say that as long as you aren't drafted, then you still get your eligibility. But morris (and kentucky) had quite a battle with the NCAA over that.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #55
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

I know Wiki isn't the end-all be all, but this is what it says:

The NBA has established two draft declaration dates. All players who wish to be drafted, and are not automatically eligible, must declare their eligibility no later than 60 days before the draft. After this date, prospective draftees may attend NBA pre-draft camps and individual team workouts to show off their skills and obtain feedback regarding their draft positions. A player may withdraw his name from consideration from the draft at any time before the final declaration date, which is 10 days before the draft. A player who declares for the draft will lose his college eligibility, even if he is not drafted, if any of the following is true:
  • The player signs with an agent.
  • The player has declared for and withdrawn from a previous draft. Although the NBA collective bargaining agreement allows a player to withdraw twice,[1] the NCAA only allows one withdrawal.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #56
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

I think that was the case with Morris. He declared and withdrew after his freshman year, then declared after his sophomore year. So he lost his eligibility, then fought for it.

So a slight variation of what I said before.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #57
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

double post

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 07-13-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #58
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

double post

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 07-13-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #59
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

found another site that says something different, more along the lines of what I said before:

The NBA has established two draft declaration dates. Players who wish to be drafted and are not automatically eligible and must declare their eligibility on or before the first declaration date. Following this date, the NBA runs several pre-draft camps for prospective draftees to allow them to show their skills to the league's teams. Teams may also audition players individually. A player may withdraw his name from consideration from the draft at any time before the final declaration date, which is one week before the draft. Players do not lose their college eligibility by declaring for the draft on the initial date unless they have, in any previous year, declared and withdrawn from the draft; however, if they stay in the draft at the final declaration date, they lose further college eligibility whether or not they are drafted. Also, signing with an agent automatically ends a player's college eligibility. Underclassmen may withdraw from the draft only once.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:58 PM   #60
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

ESPN.com: NBA [Print without images]

Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Report: Chinese team says Bucks not best for Yi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reuters

BEIJING -- The Milwaukee Bucks' campaign to secure the services of reluctant power forward Yi Jianlian has suffered a blow after the player's Chinese club said it would block his move to the United States.

Yi, taken by Milwaukee with the sixth selection in the NBA draft last month, would "definitely not" play for Milwaukee, Tuesday's Beijing News quoted Guangdong Tigers chief, Chen Haitao, as saying.

"This is not -- as media reports have said -- because Milwaukee, as a city with very few Chinese people, is not good for Yi's commercial development," Chen said.

"Rather we want to find a team suitable for Yi's growth. That's the root of the problem," he added.

Earlier in July, Yi's Chinese agent said the unsigned player was looking to be traded to another club, despite pledges by Milwaukee officials to do whatever they could to make him feel at home.

Chen expressed concern that Yi would have trouble getting playing time with the Bucks, whose squad boasts Australian 7-footer Andrew Bogut and a number of other tall young players.

"The national team and the Olympic Games are now our key considerations ... If [Yi] goes to a team where he can't compete, that would be being irresponsible to the national team," Chen said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...260&type=story
Old 07-17-2007, 10:16 PM   #61
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

The bucks are in a no-win situation here. It's not like Yi has free will to do what he wants, he'll do what the communists say he will do, period.

If they want him to sit a year, he sits a year. They don't care, they are paying him anyway.

So imo, they screwed up big time and better trade him soon. They won't get that much for him either because of the crap that the chinese have pulled here, whoever takes him will have to negotiate with them first.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 07-17-2007 at 10:17 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #62
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Houston might make a play for him and it might be a good idea to unite him and Yao together.

china wouldn't do that... they don't want Yi in Yao's shadow. and rockets would be the softest team in the league easily... although i dont think scola is much tougher.
DOMINATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 PM   #63
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The bucks are in a no-win situation here. It's not like Yi has free will to do what he wants, he'll do what the communists say he will do, period.

If they want him to sit a year, he sits a year. They don't care, they are paying him anyway.

So imo, they screwed up big time and better trade him soon. They won't get that much for him either because of the crap that the chinese have pulled here, whoever takes him will have to negotiate with them first.

You can't change the league for Communism though. If China isn't gonna play by the rules, then don't put players in the draft. Pretty simple. I'm completely on the Buck's side. Ridiculous. Not only is it hard enough to get a high draft pick with the roll of the dice lottery machine...now you have to roll the dice by picking the player you want? Let him stay in China then.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #64
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

DHWS...You can be on milwaukees side all you want, but that doesn't change the bottom line that they have no leverage here, none.

Only david stern could fix this and quite frankly he really should. Having the communist chinese dictate where their players go is going to much up the league pretty good if more come out.

This team is good because he can start, this team isn't because there is competition.. (jezz...sorta sounds communist doesn't it??) or that they will get more dollars in endorsements from him really shouldn't be allowed.

Actually stern should come out and say this is bullcrap because it's not like Yi is making this decision. If he was I could back him, but I'm starting to come around that this shouldn't be allowed. It's not like Yi is making the call to lose millions to sit out, his masters are.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 07-17-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:10 PM   #65
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

It's a game. Yi can do whatever the hell he wants. Is he an asshole? Don't know, never met him.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:18 PM   #66
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkdumas
It's a game. Yi can do whatever the hell he wants. Is he an asshole? Don't know, never met him.
Actually, he can't if Milwauke owns his rights. At least, he can't play the NBA. It's just a game right? Well you can bet Milwauke will do everything in its power to win this "game."

Old 07-18-2007, 12:06 AM   #67
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So imo, they screwed up big time and better trade him soon.
That's exactly right. I know a lot of people were on the Bucks's side in the beginning, pimping how the NBA "sets the rules." That was foolish. You always want to know who has the hammer. The Bucks do NOT have the hammer in this case. And they should have never thought they did. Yi has the hammer. He is NOT beholden to the NBA contract.

Now, the Bucks could possibly have the hammer if they will have several suitors for Yi and they drafted him just to deal him. But if they intended to keep him, they cut their own balls. And that would have been a monumentally poor decision, given the state of this draft (it's not like they drafted him 15th, after all the bluechippers were gone).

They better have drafted him in order to deal him. But they are probably now holding out for a bigger haul than they are likely to get. Man, how often can Milwaukee screw it up?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:08 AM   #68
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
Actually, he can't if Milwauke owns his rights. At least, he can't play the NBA. It's just a game right? Well you can bet Milwauke will do everything in its power to win this "game."
Well by the nba rules I believe (at least I think I've read in this thread) that if he sits out a year he can be re-drafted.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:10 AM   #69
dude1394
Guru

If Yi were making a personal decision based on his best interests I'd be more inclined to say more power to him. However in this case he is not, the system is being manipulated by the chinese government.

Yi isn't "deciding" not to go and collect the millions, he's being told not to go and shut up about it. It sort of throws the whole thing on it's head imo.

And definitely the bucks are screwed unless they petition stern to do something about it.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:12 AM   #70
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you are right. But I think I have heard that if you offer the guy a first-round contract his rights are yours. In other words, I don't think Yi is getting free entry to the draft next year.

But that still doesn't affect Yi's hammer. His hammer is that he doesn't need to come to the NBA in the first place. It's quite a different story between Yi and an American guy who either has to report to the NBA or try to make his way in international ball.

I have thought from the beginning that this was a battle the Bucks were dumb to fight. Basically, when a guy tells you he will not play with you--and particularly when he has some leverage to back it up--you are pretty damn foolish if you think you can make him play with you. I expect that the Bucks drafted him to deal him. Otherwise, they may well have wasted a very, very valuable draft pick.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:15 AM   #71
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
If Yi were making a personal decision based on his best interests I'd be more inclined to say more power to him. However in this case he is not, the system is being manipulated by the chinese government.

Yi isn't "deciding" not to go and collect the millions, he's being told not to go and shut up about it. It sort of throws the whole thing on it's head imo.

And definitely the bucks are screwed unless they petition stern to do something about it.
You can't separate Yi and the Chinese government. They are intertwined, and they were intertwined from the beginning. If the Bucks didn't have a deal in place when they drafted him, then the Bucks took a hell of a gamble.

The Chinese government (read: Yi) doesn't need the NBA rookie contract.

If this thing carries on for a long period, the Chinese government is going to get what they want--and that's guaranteed. They have nothing to lose.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:17 AM   #72
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

Quote:
Booyah!!!! ... Wait, nevermind. Yi might not be in the NBA this year, but, uhhh, so much for the Bucks 7th pick. Looks like they won't win nothing in this "game".

As long as it doesn't happen to the Mavs, THIS IS FUNNY!

Last edited by pkdumas; 07-18-2007 at 12:17 AM.
pkdumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:21 AM   #73
chumdawg
Guru

The Bucks aren't out a whole lot, if they don't want to be. The Warriors would give their draft pick, Brandan Wright, and a second-rounder (or cash) for Yi right now. This is exactly why the Bucks did the deal. Their absolute worst case scenario is that they drop a couple spots in the draft. Which, assuming they had traded the 6 for the 8 with the Warriors straight up, is only one off from where they would have been in the first place. This way they get to hold GSW hostage in case they get a better offer, or end up taking the simple drop down two slots. Not a big deal.

Last edited by chumdawg; 07-18-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #74
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
The Bucks aren't out a whole lot, if they don't want to be. The Warriors would give their draft pick, Brandan Wright, and a second-rounder (or cash) for Yi right now. This is exactly why the Bucks did the deal. Their absolute worst case scenario is that they drop a couple spots in the draft. Which, assuming they had traded the 6 for the 8 with the Warriors straight up, is only one off from where they would have been in the first place. This way they get to hold GSW hostage in case they get a better offer, or end up taking the simple drop down two slots. Not a big deal.
What a terrible example to set....then what? A bunch of whiney lottery picks wanting a different team? I mean yeah Yi for Wright, so whatever right? This is so anti-Stern that it kills me. The guy HAS to have control...so why not control it? Punishing small-market teams is the absolute worst thing in sports. The Chinese are going to root for Yi, no matter what, so who cares about the so-called problem of only 1200 Chinese residents in Milwauke. This is almost a Race issue if you think about it. So only Chinese can come to cheer for Yi? What if Germany said Dirk can't play because Dallas has a small number of German residents. We'd be totally screwed right about now.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:09 AM   #75
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
What a terrible example to set....then what? A bunch of whiney lottery picks wanting a different team? I mean yeah Yi for Wright, so whatever right? This is so anti-Stern that it kills me. The guy HAS to have control...so why not control it? Punishing small-market teams is the absolute worst thing in sports. The Chinese are going to root for Yi, no matter what, so who cares about the so-called problem of only 1200 Chinese residents in Milwauke. This is almost a Race issue if you think about it. So only Chinese can come to cheer for Yi? What if Germany said Dirk can't play because Dallas has a small number of German residents. We'd be totally screwed right about now.
Well, if the Germans did, and made their intentions known from the get-go, then yeah, we would. Don't underestimate the signals the Chinese sent before the draft.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:44 AM   #76
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

I think the importance of Yi for the Chinese government is a little overrated here. How could the government profit from Yi playing at a place with a huge Chinese population?

In my opinion the government has nothing to do with it. It´s all about the merchandising and money. The problem is the greed for money of the Chinese club Yi was playing for and his management.

So the key for Yi and the Bucks is to come to terms with his club (contractual and moneywise) and for Yi to change the management at best. It can´t be that hard to buy him out of his contract. Here is the question: Are the Bucks willing to pay the price?

All in all this is a very preposterous charade.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:38 AM   #77
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Well, if the Germans did, and made their intentions known from the get-go, then yeah, we would. Don't underestimate the signals the Chinese sent before the draft.
Goverments and/or peoples of other countries don't dictate the NBA. Milwauke knows this....thats why they got him.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:52 AM   #78
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Chinese Club Will Block Yi's Move To Milwaukee
July 17, 2007 - 10:41 am
ESPN -
The Milwaukee Bucks ' campaign to secure the services of reluctant power forward Yi Jianlian has suffered a blow after the player's Chinese club said it would block his move to the United States.

Yi, taken by Milwaukee with the sixth selection in the NBA draft last month, would "definitely not" play for Milwaukee, Tuesday's Beijing News quoted Guangdong Tigers chief, Chen Haitao, as saying.

"This is not -- as media reports have said -- because Milwaukee, as a city with very few Chinese people, is not good for Yi's commercial development," Chen said.

"Rather we want to find a team suitable for Yi's growth. That's the root of the problem," he added. [READ]

Bullllllllllllllll

Old 07-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #79
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I think the small-market comment is pretty right on and that's why I actually think stern should address this.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #80
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Chinese Club Will Block Yi's Move To Milwaukee
July 17, 2007 - 10:41 am
ESPN -
The Milwaukee Bucks ' campaign to secure the services of reluctant power forward Yi Jianlian has suffered a blow after the player's Chinese club said it would block his move to the United States.

"Rather we want to find a team suitable for Yi's growth. That's the root of the problem," he added. [READ]

Bullllllllllllllll
This is pretty bull-honkeyish. I read that part of the problem was Bogut and that he would get Yi's time. I don't see it, Yi looked much more fluid that bogut.