Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of
Default Australian Open-Draws / Men's Singles

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/.../ms/index.html
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Any Tennis fans here???
Old 01-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

federer nadal final again?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure why anyone but Federer and Nadal even try.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

djokavic is legit.

on hard: djokavic > nadal

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
horse900703
Diamond Member

u guys r right, djokavic maybe can beat nadal this time~~
Old 01-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
djokavic is legit.

on hard: djokavic > nadal
they are 2-2 on hardcourt. overall Nadal leads 6-2, with 7 of those matches being from last year. djokovic is in federers bracket anyways so they can only meet in the final.

the player to watch besides federer, nadal and djokovic is nalbandian. he had a nice run at the end of last year in which he beat federer twice. he´s also 8-8 alltime vs. federer. you never know with nalbandian though, he´s injured and/or not motivated pretty often.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

nadal has never made it past the quarters in a major on hard court and likely wont ever do so. His game just doesnt lend itself to that. His style puts such a pounding on his legs on the hard court and when you expand that to 5 sets he just cant recover fast enough. Honestly on any surface but clay no one can touch fed when hes really into it(ie a major).

i think roddick will make the finals assuming he isnt in feds draw(i didnt look). I expect a strong showing from blake. Hes great on hard courts, grew up playing on them, and he has the best court coverage in the game.

if youre gonna watch a match in round 2 watch safin/baghdatis(i butchered that spelling). Even though i cant spell his name, baghdatis is my favorite player aside from fed.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #9
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
nadal has never made it past the quarters in a major on hard court and likely wont ever do so. His game just doesnt lend itself to that. His style puts such a pounding on his legs on the hard court and when you expand that to 5 sets he just cant recover fast enough. Honestly on any surface but clay no one can touch fed when hes really into it(ie a major).

i think roddick will make the finals assuming he isnt in feds draw(i didnt look). I expect a strong showing from blake. Hes great on hard courts, grew up playing on them, and he has the best court coverage in the game.

if youre gonna watch a match in round 2 watch safin/baghdatis(i butchered that spelling). Even though i cant spell his name, baghdatis is my favorite player aside from fed.
i agree about federer, who wouldn´t. I disagree about Nadal. Sure his game is best suited for clay but he has allready won 3 masters events on hard, so it´s not like he´s not capable on hard. with the physical style he plays hardcourt tends to wear his body down quick though, you´re right about that. the effect is that he´s often been injured during hardcourt season. he will win a major on hardcourt thought.

as for no one one being able to touch federer, there are a few guys around who can beat him on hardcourt on a very good day. most noticeably nalbandian who is 4-4 on hard vs. federer. but sure federer has been totally dominating the majors exept roland garros.

roddick and nadal could meet in the quarterfinals, this should be interesting, as nadal has won their only meeting in recent years which was last year at some masters event (hardcourt).

the quarter of the draw with baghdatis and safin is so stacked. nalbandian, hewitt, djokovic and ferrer are also in it. easily the toughest quarter of the draw.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel
i agree about federer, who wouldn´t. I disagree about Nadal. Sure his game is best suited for clay but he has allready won 3 masters events on hard, so it´s not like he´s not capable on hard. with the physical style he plays hardcourt tends to wear his body down quick though, you´re right about that. the effect is that he´s often been injured during hardcourt season. he will win a major on hardcourt thought.

as for no one one being able to touch federer, there are a few guys around who can beat him on hardcourt on a very good day. most noticeably nalbandian who is 4-4 on hard vs. federer. but sure federer has been totally dominating the majors exept roland garros.

roddick and nadal could meet in the quarterfinals, this should be interesting, as nadal has won their only meeting in recent years which was last year at some masters event (hardcourt).

the quarter of the draw with baghdatis and safin is so stacked. nalbandian, hewitt, djokovic and ferrer are also in it. easily the toughest quarter of the draw.
the difference is all of those masters series are 3 sets not 5. I think he will win wimbledon at some point but i dont think he'll ever win a hardcourt major.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #11
Fidel
Diamond Member

Quote:
the difference is all of those masters series are 3 sets not 5. I think he will win wimbledon at some point but i dont think he'll ever win a hardcourt major.
uuuh i know that it´s best of five at the majors. i understand your point and i think it is valid. nadal will never dominate the us and australien open like federer has in the last couple years. i´m totally sure he will win one though.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:33 AM   #12
horse900703
Diamond Member

andy lost~~~
Old 01-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #13
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

This is why I hardly ever watch tennis anymore. I like Roddick, but he is constantly melting down. And the ending to these things are always, always the same. Federer is amazing, but I don't really find him fun to watch.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #14
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I know Roddick is good compared to me, but he really sucks compared to Federer. I don't even know why he competes when Nadal and Federer are in the field.

That said, I can't believe Federer had so much trouble with that nobody... I doubt that will happen again all year.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #15
horse900703
Diamond Member

Federer is too good, i wonder when can any player beat him?
I hope Nadal and djokavic can beat him this time~~~
Old 01-22-2008, 01:16 AM   #16
Fidel
Diamond Member

Quote:
nadal has never made it past the quarters in a major on hard court and likely wont ever do so.
you were proven wrong quickly.

it´ll be interesting to see if he gets youzhny or tsonga in the semis. youhzny has the game to counter nadals style. he has allways given him trouble and has won 3 of their last 6 matches. most recently the final in chennai 6-0 6-1 (nadal was hurt though). nadal won their previous meeting before that at the paris indoor event (hardcourt) in two sets.

for the other semi final i´m hoping to see djokovic take on federer.

Last edited by Fidel; 01-22-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #17
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
you were proven wrong quickly.

it´ll be interesting to see if he gets youzhny or tsonga in the semis. youhzny has the game to counter nadals style. he has allways given him trouble and has won 3 of their last 6 matches. most recently the final in chennai 6-0 6-1 (nadal was hurt though). nadal won their previous meeting before that at the paris indoor event (hardcourt) in two sets.

for the other semi final i´m hoping to see djokovic take on federer.
i was wrong but he did end up with an insanely easy draw. he should beat tsonga and get destroyed by the fed/djokovich winner.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #18
Five-ofan
Guru

btw right now, this is feds 15th straight semi or better in a major. Thats one of the most impressive runs in the history of sports. Then again it doesnt seem quite as impressive as what could easily(though is not guaranteed) to be his 11th straight finals appearance.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #19
horse900703
Diamond Member

James blake was out!!!!
all the U.S tennis player were out!
Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 PM   #20
Fidel
Diamond Member

Quote:
i was wrong but he did end up with an insanely easy draw. he should beat tsonga and get destroyed by the fed/djokovich winner.
now you´re just talking like a hater. i get that you´re a federer lover, and he is a great player no doubt. but you are either blinded by your hate for nadal, or you just don´t know tennis so well. otherwise you´d give nadal more credit than you do. he had roddick and robredo in his quarter of the draw and davydenko, youzhny, murray, gasquet in his half of the draw. it´s not his fault they all lost early. actually it wouldn´t have mattered though as nadal can beat anybody on the tour and has positive head to heads against allmost all players. also he´ll reach alot more semi finals at the US and Australian. you were just way way off with your assumption he´d "never" do it.

as far as the winner of federer-djokovic "destroying" nadal. well this is just laughable. it "could" happen, you never know in tennis. but the odds are definitly against it. nadal leads the head to head against djokovic 6-2 (2-2 on hard) and 8-6 against federer (3-2 federer on hard). federer would be the favorite against nadal course it´s hardcourt, but if nadal brings at least his B game no one on the tour is destroying him, he´s way to strong mentaly.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #21
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
actually it wouldn´t have mattered though as nadal can beat anybody on the tour
.. except, I guess, Tsonga.
Quote:
but if nadal brings at least his B game no one on the tour is destroying him, he´s way to strong mentaly.
.. except he lost to Tsonga instead.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #22
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
now you´re just talking like a hater. i get that you´re a federer lover, and he is a great player no doubt. but you are either blinded by your hate for nadal, or you just don´t know tennis so well. otherwise you´d give nadal more credit than you do. he had roddick and robredo in his quarter of the draw and davydenko, youzhny, murray, gasquet in his half of the draw. it´s not his fault they all lost early. actually it wouldn´t have mattered though as nadal can beat anybody on the tour and has positive head to heads against allmost all players. also he´ll reach alot more semi finals at the US and Australian. you were just way way off with your assumption he´d "never" do it.

as far as the winner of federer-djokovic "destroying" nadal. well this is just laughable. it "could" happen, you never know in tennis. but the odds are definitly against it. nadal leads the head to head against djokovic 6-2 (2-2 on hard) and 8-6 against federer (3-2 federer on hard). federer would be the favorite against nadal course it´s hardcourt, but if nadal brings at least his B game no one on the tour is destroying him, he´s way to strong mentaly.
beating federer on hard in a non major and beating federer on hard in a major are too entirely different enitities. In a major nadal has never beaten fed anywhere but the french and again he likely never will(though it is possible he could beat him at wimbledon) Federer is quite simply the best major tennis player ever and no one is particularly close.

And who was in his draw doesnt really matter if he doesnt have to play them. Speaking of draws why does tennis put 1 and 3 on the same half of the draw? every other sport puts 1 and 4.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #23
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin

not only did he lose to tsonga, he got DESTROYED the same way i thought he would if he played fed or djokovich. Im really looking forward to the fed/djokovich match though. I think fed will win but it wouldnt completely suprise me to see djokovich beat him.

You guys realize fed will most likely pass sampras for most career majors this year right? He is 2 behind and he generally wins 3 a year. Also in one of the most amazing stats ive ever seen, fed had 12 slam wins coming into the australian open and the rest of the mens field had 11 combined.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #24
fluid.forty.one

haha props Five-o.. you sure got that one right.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #25
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Weeeeeeeeell. It just got interesting.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #26
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i hate this thread.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:07 AM   #27
Fidel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin

I said he can beat anyone not that he would every time. would be pretty boring, no? (a little Nadal refrence here, those who have heard him speak english know what I mean).

And by the way. When they met at last years US Open Nadal destroyed Tsonga 7-5, 6-1, 6-2 or something like that. What you can get from that is that Nadal probably didn´t have his best day on thursday and he might easily beat Tsonga the next time they meet.

Tsonga is a nice story. I like the guy. Nadal would have lost on thursday even if he brought his A game, cause Tsonga was in the zone. And yes he got destroyed, but I said that doesn´t happen if he brings at least his B game. Against Tsonga it was probably not better than a D+.

I think this tournament is great for Tennis. Finally a major with no Federer and no Nadal in the finals. I hope Tsonga wins the final. But predicting games that involve him is really hard. He has played against most of the top 10 players once or twice or not at all, like against Djokovic. So it´s kinda hard to say how their games will match up. Tsonga is very agressive and Djokovic is a nice counter player which could be going for him, but the same can be said about Nadal and he still lost.

And five o, I don´t know abou the draw either. last year most of the time it was Nadal vs. Djokovic in the semis, but not allways if I remember correctly. I allways wondered about that too. there is really nothing about it on the internet either. i know how it works at tournaments here in germany, but I don´t think that translates to the major or masters events.

Last edited by Fidel; 01-27-2008 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #28
ames7
Diamond Member

I like to see tennis talk on this board as much as anyone, but maybe we should start one official tennis thread & keep all talk within one thread instead of starting a new one for any new stuff going on? With all the Grand Slams coming up, it'd be nice to have one place to talk about them...just a suggestion.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:12 PM   #29
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I said he can beat anyone not that he would every time. would be pretty boring, no? (a little Nadal refrence here, those who have heard him speak english know what I mean).
yeah. I was just giving you a hard time. It's like when the announcer says "Dirk never misses his free throws." It means he'll miss one. You jinxed him with your statements.

And I agree about the tournament. Men's tennis has been like the Eastern Conference of the NBA for too long. It's really cool watching Federer do some historic stuff. But everyone else seems so second rate in comparison. Nadal has been the only hope so far. Maybe this will help open it up for those of us who don't watch enough to follow more then the winners.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #30
Fidel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
You were wrong.

About pretty much everything you posted in this thread.