Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #201
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about so just stop now, but your dialogue with chum reminds me of this...

Virginia: "He then rubbed my nubile body with fruit linaments and noxema. Then he artfully covered my back with melted butter and cloves. [Roger begins licking her fingers]. And until the flies and ants came, methinks it was the finest love-making that the world have ever known.

Roger (cont'd): Hands groping, fingers fluttering, thighs twitching in the anticipation of love-making that will take place in this ha-tub in less than 12 minutes. "
I'm sure that you had a point, but then you started typing.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #202
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Ever read Finnegans Wake?
So, I just finished reading Finnegan's Wake a few days ago. I followed an online guide that directed the reader to the historical use of his wording, as well his use of ciphers that looped back to earlier points in the story and foreshadowed events yet to come. It was very disorienting, to say the least. All-in-all, it was interesting. Probably not something I would choose to read again, but I'm glad that I finished it.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #203
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
So, I just finished reading Finnegan's Wake a few days ago. I followed an online guide that directed the reader to the historical use of his wording, as well his use of ciphers that looped back to earlier points in the story and foreshadowed events yet to come. It was very disorienting, to say the least. All-in-all, it was interesting. Probably not something I would choose to read again, but I'm glad that I finished it.
You're a better person than I. Inspiring, though. You're the first person I know who has actually made it through. I should try to do the same, if I could get off my lazy ass. Not sure there's enough payoff, though.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #204
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
You're a better person than I. Inspiring, though. You're the first person I know who has actually made it through. I should try to do the same, if I could get off my lazy ass. Not sure there's enough payoff, though.
Honestly, I don't think there is much payoff. Much of the work is a nod and wink to students of all things esoteric. I enjoyed his hints at post-Enlightenment Egyptianism, but I would rather go right to the source for that kind of thing. It was a royal kick in the nuts to slog through it at times. There are several reader's companions out there. The one I followed has been used by grad students, but I suppose the subject matter is a passion for them. For me, it was frustrating because the entire time I was reading it and checking literally hundreds of references, I didn't really enjoy myself at all. It became a bit ascetic at a point, so I just willed myself through it.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #205
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Read Adam by Ted Dekker.. nice quick read. Not great, but fairly entertaining. I went on a trip and forgot to take along A Song of Fire and Ice.. So, I picked up what I could find at the airport. I was able to finish most of it just while waiting on flights or during flying. Not bad..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #206
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome read for any mid-90s wrestling fans. Don't be shy.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #207
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
I liked world war z
I've been taking breaks while reading it because of how realistic it is, after every chapter it sends your mind down 10 different roads about what could happen or what might happen. Very well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Robert Jordan knew how to end it..he was a bit too in love with the world that he had created though... Sanderson has taken over since Jordan's death and has done an absolutely tremendous job.

The series is definitely worth the time investment..
Sanderson is quite the author! If you have not read his Mistborn trilogy I highly recommend it. The fantasy/sci-fi genre are populated with so many authors and only a handful are worth reading and Sanderson is certainly one of them. Sanderson's original concepts creates a deeply genuine story line.

I saw a few others mention Stephen King and I just picked up The Gunslinger the other day and it's so good. I always picture the Gunslinger to be Clint Eastwood swaggin' and sporting them pistols.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG

Last edited by GhostFace; 08-08-2012 at 02:35 AM.
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #208
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll check out Mistborn after I finish A Song of Fire and Ice.. Well, I suppose I might finish the available Song books before the release of the final WoT. If I do, I'll read WoT before starting any new major undertakings.

I've heard that there's going to be a new Odd Thomas book. I'll check that out as well. The first Odd Thomas book was tremendous. The rest were somewhat entertaining but not up to the level of the first. You can definitely just red the first and put the series away...
Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #209
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'll check out Mistborn after I finish A Song of Fire and Ice.. Well, I suppose I might finish the available Song books before the release of the final WoT. If I do, I'll read WoT before starting any new major undertakings.

I've heard that there's going to be a new Odd Thomas book. I'll check that out as well. The first Odd Thomas book was tremendous. The rest were somewhat entertaining but not up to the level of the first. You can definitely just red the first and put the series away...
Odd Thomas by Koontz right? I've always heard great things about Koontz.. but never sure what book to read from all he has written... any suggestions?

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #210
Murphy3
Guru

Well.. I've read a few of his.. but the only thing I've read of his in the past 15 years is Odd Thomas. In my opinion, the first Odd Thomas book was his best.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #211
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad Hollywood is looking to ruin Odd Thomas - Stephen Sommers (G.I. Joe, Van Helsing, The Mummy) is directing.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #212
Murphy3
Guru

I'll still watch it. I've read alot of Koontz, but it's really the only book that I can remember at all.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #213
ribosoma
Golden Member

Dean Koontz can really bring the weird. I enjoyed Odd Thomas and Lightning very much back in my 20's. I can tell that he does his homework with mythological and scientific research, but at times it just seems like he doesn't know how to end a story. I can't remember the last Koontz novel I tried to read, but it felt like he was filling out a madlibs at a writer's workshop. The templates were cascading, and it pissed me off, which would lalter make me lol at THIS LOVELY TIDBIT.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #214
Murphy3
Guru

He had no problem ending the first Odd Thomas..
Old 08-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #215
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
He had no problem ending the first Odd Thomas..
I didn't like the sappy romance and I thought that he fell back into his template by over-describing every little detail towards an end that I could see coming halfway through the book. He and Stephen King seem to have this in common, which is why I enjoy King's short stories more than his novels, for the most part. I liked the quirkiness of most of the characters, though.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #216
Murphy3
Guru

.... no problem with the ending of Odd Thomas from my standpoint.. was pretty damn awesome.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #217
ribosoma
Golden Member

Just started this:

Thus far, it is eye-opening, to say the least.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #218
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
Just started this:

Thus far, it is eye-opening, to say the least.
No offense but....meh
Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #219
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
No offense but....meh
Have you read it?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #220
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

What is the premise?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #221
Murphy3
Guru

Read it..just alot of assumptions in my opinion. A lot of leaps of faith. I suppose the faith part could be applied to Christianity as well.

Last edited by Murphy3; 08-17-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #222
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
What is the premise?
It's been awhile..but, something like Jesus was a fictional character created by Romans.. a non-threatening Messiah that was actually based upon popular literary works and political leaders of the time.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #223
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
What is the premise?
Here is an interview about the book with Joseph Atwill, the author. It does contain spoilers if anyone intends to read the book. Plans are in order for a documentary, which should be coming down the pipe soon, from what I understand.

Caesar's Messiah

Last edited by ribosoma; 08-17-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #224
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFace View Post
I've been taking breaks while reading it because of how realistic it is, after every chapter it sends your mind down 10 different roads about what could happen or what might happen. Very well done.

Sanderson is quite the author! If you have not read his Mistborn trilogy I highly recommend it. The fantasy/sci-fi genre are populated with so many authors and only a handful are worth reading and Sanderson is certainly one of them. Sanderson's original concepts creates a deeply genuine story line.

I saw a few others mention Stephen King and I just picked up The Gunslinger the other day and it's so good. I always picture the Gunslinger to be Clint Eastwood swaggin' and sporting them pistols.
I just finished the Mistborn trilogy.. it took me a week or so. I enjoyed it immensely. Thanks for the rec.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #225
Murphy3
Guru

I'm reading "I Know Everything and Nobody Else Knows Anything Ever" by Shaggydirk. The same author wrote "What I Do When Mommy Forgets to Turn Off the Computer."
Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 AM   #226
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone read the new Dan Brown? I figured it would be kinda mehh but it was actually quite good, I thought.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:35 AM   #227
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I've just read the first books of the "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow" series. Both were good, but I got much more enjoyment out of "Ender's Shadow". I'm not sure how well this translated to a movie, but my guess is not very well. The books are less about saving the world and more about psychology and manipulation. I probably don't agree with the author's politics, but what the hell...good writing is good writing.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #228
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"Radical" by David Platt

About how screwed up the American Christian Church is...and how to restore her to the real mission of Jesus.

An easy read. But a challenging one.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #229
Murphy3
Guru

Re-Reading the first Thomas Covenant trilogy by Stephen R. Donaldson
Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #230
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I just got FreeDarko's Macrophenomenal Pro Basketball Almanac... looking forward to starting it tonight.

Last edited by spreedom; 12-14-2013 at 08:28 PM.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harry pottheads