Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future
Default Weight Loss Thread!

Murphy did something like this with his running back a few months ago, for accountability, and I thought I (along with anyone else) may want to try it, as well.

For most of my life I've struggled with my weight. Both my parents worked full-time and we rarely got to eat healthily (lots and lots of fast food). This led to not really wanting to exercise, and it didn't take very long for me to put on the pounds. I graduated high school at about 220 pounds (I'm about 5'8", fwiw - yeah, I know). A trip to Europe and an ensuing trip to college had the opposite effect of the stereotype, though, and I lost lots and lots of weight from walking around campus and eating cafeteria food that was so much better than what I had been eating. From May 2006 to February 2007 I lost 40 pounds without actively doing a thing, and by February 2008 I was at 168 pounds, which is still technically overweight but lighter than I had been since early high school.

Maintaining that general weight for three years, when I started work in January I stopped watching what I was eating and found myself back up to 186 pounds. Last week it kind of dawned on me what was going on and I had to stop myself.

So, I'm doing a calorie counting regimen using the Lose It app on the iPhone and, oddly enough, the Chipotle diet. Today marks one week on it, and I'm down three pounds to 183. Yes, this consists of eating Chipotle for virtually every meal. Burrito bowls and salads, no sour cream or cheese, and rarely rice. Once a week rewarding yourself with a yummy burrito. It's very easy to count calories there because you're building your own meal, and you're getting very fresh food. My lunch is usually a salad with pinto beans, chicken, extra fajita veggies, pico, medium salsa, lettuce, and guacamole. 600 calories, full of nutrients, and absolutely delicious. I hope to do this along with cardio for thirty minutes four times a week.

My goal is two pounds a week (which I surpassed the first week, for some reason), which will leave me at about 160 by the beginning of October. This time, though, when I get to that range, I plan on actually getting in shape to make myself stay that way more permanently.

So, this thread is for accountability, tracking, all that jazz. If anyone else wants to do it, too (I suppose not just for weight loss, but anything), let's do it. I want to slay this demon.

7/5/11: 185.9 lbs
7/12/11: 183.0 lbs
Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

You make me feel fat at 175 and 5'7", I need to go back to the gym. A lot of people don't realize how much it helps to write down your goals and map out progress. It goes a long way in keeping one motivated. Go Kirobaito, go! Weight lifting will help you lose this weight as well as keep it down (and making it so that your weight is coming from muscles.

I worked out for a couple of years at home with just dumbbells, but I think I'm the type that works out better by himself. But I always wrote how many reps I was able to do, etc.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

we had a biggest loser thread going like a year or so ago.

i've actually bumped up my workouts, too. I committed to participating in the Ragnar Relay (Relay race from Chattanooga, TN to Nashville, TN, run over the course of 2 days). Using it as motivation to actually get out and run/train (and i hate running).

I can say with confidence that I will NEVER run a marathon, but this sounded like a cool opportunity to get back into shape.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 07-12-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
we had a biggest loser thread going like a year or so ago.

i've actually bumped up my workouts, too. I committed to participating in the Ragnar Relay (Relay race from Chattanooga, TN to Nashville, TN, run over the course of 2 days). Using it as motivation to actually get out and run/train (and i hate running).

I can say with confidence that I will NEVER run a marathon, but this sounded like a cool opportunity to get back into shape.
I know we did, but I limited myself to going back 5 pages and figured anything before that was fair game.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in....

I'm in pretty bad shape after a decade or so of doing little more than riding around in a golf cart and drinking beer. I got up to close to 220 (5' 11"), but worse than the weight was not being able to catch my breath after the labor of opening a beer can.

I bought a mountain bike about a month and half ago and have been hitting lot's of trails around Dallas. I've already lost close to 15 pounds, half of which is probably skin that I've lost in crashes. Weighed in yesterday morning....

7/11 -- 205

Hoping to get down under 190.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

When i gratuated i had about 240, but i´m 2 m tall, so my main problem is/was the morbus Budweiser. Still haven´t found out how to get rid of it.
Except for this i never had any problems with the weight, because i don´t drink Sodas or eat sweets.

Last edited by GermanDunk; 07-12-2011 at 06:20 PM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

You're overweight too, GD! BMI= 27.7 (yeah, I know BMI is flawed, but where's the fun in that?)
Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
You're overweight too, GD! BMI= 27.7 (yeah, I know BMI is flawed, but where's the fun in that?)
BMI is indeed flawed, but for the most unathletic person on the planet (me) whose only muscle mass is accrued by the brain, it's useful. That's in part why I'm aiming for 160. That's 24.3, which is on the high range of normal, but for my body type (stocky, short legs, wide hips), it's probably more natural for my frame.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you the best in this endeavor.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
No, you got me wrong. I weigh about 95 kg, but i don´t care about my weight. The only problem is located over the belt.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
bernardos70
Diamond Member

Oh, so you weigh just about 210lb, not 240lb anymore. My bad.

Sorry for sidetracking your thread, Kirobaito. Hey, at least it keeps it at the top of The Lounge board!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Liveblogging from the road: I've been at a music festival for three days now and have been able to maintain my diet. No scale, so we'll see tomorrow when I get home, but I'm proud that I didn't succumb to the 11 Gatorades per day WoodyFest diet.

EDIT: And indeed, maintained it well. 182.6 this morning.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 07-18-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

7/18 -- 205

Been on the road for the last week, lot's o' restaurant food. I'm ok w/ treading water for the week.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Due to my folk festival adventure, I was also cool with treading water, but I checked in at 182.4 this morning.

7/19/2011: 182.4 lbs

After two weeks, 3.5 pounds. I shorted myself due to my trip, so hopefully I'll be able to get within half a pound of 180 by next week.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 07-19-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #15
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

I actually did resistance training the last two days, and good god almighty that hurts.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #16
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Props to you for getting on this health kick bro.

Recently I've been incorporating a bunch of SEALs plyometrics exercises into my routine - the upside is you can do these even when you're traveling and stuck in a hotel room (something alexamenos mentioned). Stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evY0-zpKGks

Do 3x intervals, 10 minutes each, with 1 minute break between each. Betcha lose some poundage that week.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:29 AM   #17
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

A little over a year ago, I weighed myself and I was 194 pounds (5'10"). I said enough is enough and started a walking and a healthy eating (not diet) regime. I have lost 32 pounds and am feeling great. I have added a home exercise machine to help build muscle mass back. I am 61 years old and am in better shape that I have been since college.

Anyone interest might want to visit SPARK PEOPLE it as it has a lot of advice, a calorie and fitness tracker, and it is free.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

I recently lost 25lbs by cutting way back on potatoes, corn, and grains (whole or otherwise). I went from 225-200. I want to get down to 175-180. I think anything less than that is too light for me. I'm 5'9", but when I was 24 I weighed around that and didn't have much fat on my body. I suppose it's possible that I've lost some of the muscle mass that I once had. I have just started walking, and intend to start some resistance training again.

Last edited by FreshJive; 07-23-2011 at 09:13 PM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #19
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
I recently lost 25lbs by cutting way back on potatoes, corn, and grains (whole or otherwise). I went from 225-200. I want to get down to 175-180. I think anything less than that is too light for me. I'm 5'9", but when I was 24 I weighed around that and didn't have much fat on my body. I suppose it's possible that I've lost some of the muscle mass that I once had. I have just started walking, and intend to start some resistance training again.
175-180 is pretty damn big for 5'9" unless you're an athlete or have a very large frame. You must have been jacked!

Nice job on the loss though. I've had several friends who have lost a ton just by cutting out one thing (be it grains, sodas, desserts, whatever).

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 07-23-2011 at 10:43 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #20
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

6'1", 205
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #21
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks LDub. You might be right. I'll reevaluate when I get down to 175. I'm not an athlete, but I have a bigger than average frame. In high school I was skinny and all of my weight was in my legs. I could grab the rim and I was a distance runner. After high school I initially lost quite a bit of weight (thighs shrank) and then started lifting weights 4-6 times a week between 20-24 while eating a lot. I was a very in shape 175 pounder, so I'm going off that. Probably wishful thinking on my part.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #22
alexamenos
Diamond Member

7/25 -- 203

So far ive only been exercising. I'm kicking in a diet beginning this week...lean meats, veggies and fruits. I'm even giving up alcohol (switching to beer and wine).
Old 07-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #23
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
7/25 -- 203

So far ive only been exercising. I'm kicking in a diet beginning this week...lean meats, veggies and fruits. I'm even giving up alcohol (switching to beer and wine).

LOL
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #24
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

7/26/2011 - 180.8 lbs
Old 07-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #25
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Dropped under 180 this morning after working out for over an hour yesterday evening. I think I'll celebrate by going to a fried chicken buffet.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #26
bernardos70
Diamond Member

Congrats! Have a beer on me!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #27
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

I just read through the first few posts...I'll go back to catch the full thread.

But, count me in.

Here's the quick version...if anyone wants more details or wants someone to chat with, vent...whatever as we go through this battle, let me know.

In October 2009, I weighed in at 261 pounds...I'm 5'11" and at the time I was 41.

Today, nearly 2 years later, I am at 180 pounds...still 5'11" ;-) and now I'm 43.

The secret...there is none...it was commitment, hard work, dedication and success.

I'm down to around 12% BF and my goal is single digits...once there, I will see how much more I want to do.

The tools:

Learning and eating differently, while still enjoying what I eat. Calories, Protein/Carb mix. Meat, Veggies, Fruits

Exercise

Started off walking, then a little walk/run, then some elliptical and finally added some home gym DVD workouts (P90X, Turbo Fire, Brazilian Butt Lift, Hip Hop Abs, Chalean Extreme and the latest Insanity)

This is the fittest that I have ever been, and that includes my 7 1/2 years in the Army!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "Pro" or a paid expert...the last 2 years are indeed my own personal story. Ultimately, I had to decide on my own what I wanted to do, then do it.

So again, if you would like someone to chat with, vent or bounce things off of, then let me know.

Full Disclosure, I have made -0- Dollars from the folks at Beachbody, but I have signed up to be an independent coach for them. I can provide you with information and resources, as well as fitness message boards where you can chat with others traveling down the same fitness journey.

Congrats to each of you and I look forward to reading about how everyone is doing. It's a challenging road, but now...81 pounds later...dang it feels good!!!

By the way, the trainer on Insanity, Shawn T...will be coming to Dallas this fall...Let me know if you might be interested in hanging out with Shawn T and I'll see what I can do ;-)
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #28
alexamenos
Diamond Member

8/1 - 202

Regarding my earlier plans to start paying closer attention to my diet....I didn't do a very good job eating nothin but lean meats, veggies an fruits, and I did have a few glasses of scotch this weekend. I wish someone would make a diet whisky.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #29
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Quote:
8/1 - 202

Regarding my earlier plans to start paying closer attention to my diet....I didn't do a very good job eating nothin but lean meats, veggies an fruits, and I did have a few glasses of scotch this weekend. I wish someone would make a diet whisky.
I'm telling you, Chipotle. Burrito bowl with black beans, chicken, fajita veggies, pico, guac, and lettuce is 660 calories. Magical.

179.2 this morning. It would be less, but I lazy'd out of working out yesterday and just watched Weeds all day.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 08-01-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #30
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

Quote:
8/1 - 202

Hm, you could try Whisky with Diet Coke...
Old 08-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #31
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Starting Month 2 of Insanity tonight.

I just watched the circuit and it looks like it is going to Kick My Arse!!!

But I've got to get through it...

Ran WhiteRock yesterday...only took 2 days of rest in the Month of July...most intense workout month yet...at least since I started Oct 2009.

August is scheduled to be right up there with it...

Getting ready to run a 10K in September and the WhiteRock 1/2 Marathon in December...actually running to support and encourage my wife, so no PR goals for me...just finishing strong :-)

Spring of 2012...not sure what event yet, but going for my first full Marathon.

After that, I'll be checking out the tough mudder events or other similar stuff and will post, as I'll be looking to set up a team. My goal will simply be to finish and have a good time, while building up an appetite and a thirst...with ample beverage to reward once completed (Yes, ADULT Beverages)

Keep rockin the fitness and enjoy each moment!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #32
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Adaptation: Period, Persistence, and Priortization - IF you read this and it doesn't have an effect on how you train or at least how you think about training, I am sorry... you're an idiot.

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 08-01-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #33
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
6'1", 205
I'm actually 210... I think I'm going in the wrong direction.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 08-01-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #34
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

great work fellas. I've pretty much haven't stopped weight lifting since high school which was 96-2000. So i've been working out for 12-13 years straight. I hurt my shoulder really bad a couple of years ago, but kept working out.

I FINALLY had shoulder surgery 12-1-2010, and i had to stop working out for more than 6 months!! Oct 10 through about april of 2011. I lost a bunch of muscle mass and was down to about 155, which is tiny for someone with all the muscles...I started doing physical therapy in February of 2011, and slowly started doing more and more weight lifting.

I'm not back to where i was before surgery, strength or muscle mass wise, but, i feel good. I'm currently about 165-167 depending on water weight. Doctor said it will be a full year+ till my shoulder is 100%, and he is damn right, as it's only been 9 months...

keep at it boys

Last edited by MavsX; 08-01-2011 at 06:26 PM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #35
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
Adaptation: Period, Persistence, and Priortization - IF you read this and it doesn't have an effect on how you train or at least how you think about training, I am sorry... you're an idiot.
My apparent idiocy aside, how would Major Wells account for the significant and quantifiable gains in fitness yielded by cross-training and circuit techniques, if they are in fact inherently flawed? I think if you were to do something as simple as survey the guys on this board, you would find quite a few who were pleased with their experiences.

It is not just regular Joe's who adhere to circuit training, professional athletes (Lance Armstong and Drew Brees are just two who immediately come to mind having shown off their techniques in, of all places, Men's Health) also buy into it, with consistent, long-term results. Wells himself seems to espouse the benefits of circuits on his website, http://www.findingfitwithin.com/, where he shows a man performing a four point circuit on the home page.

It is ironic that Wells points to the current regime as having, "an inability to accommodate new ways of thinking," as there are extremely reactionary elements inherent in his prescribed techniques. Focusing one's workout around squats, the bench press and deadlifts is typical "old school" and only exercises primary muscle groups and ignoring key stabilizing muscles, leaving one more susceptible to injury.

We all strive for maximum relative fitness, commensurate with what our bodies are able to physically sustain, and what our day-job schedules realistically allow. While there are certainly flaws in cross training programs, as there are with any fitness program, that does not change the fact that they deliver results for those of who cannot work out full-time. Full disclosure, I have not personally completed a program such as P90X, but circuit / muscle confusion training is a huge part of my daily workout.

Finally, I found this quote to be particularly absurd:

Quote:
"Gains from cardio training are not necessarily very useful. It is far better to accept some residual cardio training from a strength routine and whatever cardio is forced upon you during daily activities (and no more!). If you can achieve the requisite level of cardio fitness from less work, why would you do more?"
I don't mean for this post to be argumentative, as I am certainly open to new training techniques, especially from someone who has the impressive credentials of Wells. I just don't agree with this particular write-up. In all seriousness, if you feel I am simply missing some key point from the article, I would appreciate it if you would clarify for my benefit.

Last edited by orangedays; 08-02-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Grammar, etc.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #36
orangedays
Platinum Member

Didn't want to re-edit my post so a quick follow-up. A kind soul on this board pointed out that some substandard writing on my part left a gaping hole in my fact pattern, as such I will supplement as follows:

Regarding my third paragraph, my intention was to say that incremental progress has been made to introduce new exercises that go BEYOND traditional compound exercises squats, lunges, deadlifts, pull ups, pushups, etc. Just as the use of compound exercises are far superior to isolation (/machine-based) exercises, my contention is that "muscle confusion" techniques, when done in collaboration with compound exercises, take it to the next step.

Re-reading my post, I realize I must have brain-farted and skipped a part criticizing isolation exercises, and thereby inaccurately confused compound with isolation in my writing.

Mea culpa.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #37
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays View Post
Focusing one's workout around squats, the bench press and deadlifts is typical "old school" and only exercises primary muscle groups and ignoring key stabilizing muscles, leaving one more susceptible to injury.
OD,

Sorry, I can't address your whole post right now (have family coming in tonight), but I do want to ask a couple of questions before I spend time on a response.

What "stabilizing muscles" are you referring to that a squat does not address?

Would you please describe the "old school" squat to the best of your ability given the experience you have?

Answering these two questions would clear up any conclusions I might draw from your statement.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #38
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
OD,

Sorry, I can't address your whole post right now (have family coming in tonight), but I do want to ask a couple of questions before I spend time on a response.

What "stabilizing muscles" are you referring to that a squat does not address?

Would you please describe the "old school" squat to the best of your ability given the experience you have?

Answering these two questions would clear up any conclusions I might draw from your statement.
Apologies on my part for any confusion. I tried to clarify in my follow-up post above but happy to do so again here.

The sentence you quoted was the product of two unfinished thoughts, the first being that "muscle confusion" exercises are an extension, an evolved offspring if you will, of traditional compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, etc. The stated (and, based on experience, achieved) goals of both are similar if not identical, and I find that criticizing one is akin to criticizing the other.

The second part of the sentence was meant to discuss the notable difference between compound and isolation exercises as a contrast to the parallels between "muscle confusion" and compound exercises.

Hope all went well with the fam.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #39
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Before I start..(might not finish tonight), let me say that I have never been associated with a literary genius, so please don't call the dogs out on me. I am just a lowly mathematician...

Responses in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays View Post
I think if you were to do something as simple as survey the guys on this board, you would find quite a few who were pleased with their experiences.

Obviously, that would depend heavily on the goal. The only question you have to ask is, are you strong?

It is not just regular Joe's who adhere to circuit training, professional athletes (Lance Armstong and Drew Brees are just two who immediately come to mind having shown off their techniques in, of all places, Men's Health) also buy into it, with consistent, long-term results.

Yes, but you are comparing apples to oranges (no pun ) here. What's the difference in Drew Brees or Lance Armstrong doing "functional" training vs the average Joe? You're talking about elite athletes. Athletes who have trained and trained and trained behind closed doors to do what? Get strong... They are strong and vital to their respective sports. Take the average joe, like me, who walks into Wal-Greens and sees the latest Men's Health magazine. I think if I can do this or do that, I'll be an "athlete" like Drew Brees or vainly thinks "my abs will look like that". Totally ignoring the absolute fact that I'm weak ...and no matter how many 8 counts, bunny hops, lily pad jumps, I'm still gonna be weak.

Now, his point is to train correctly. There are no shortcuts. And no matter how many P90X cycles you do, you're still gonna be weak because the "exercises" you're doing are not measurable gains.

That's why Squats, Presses, and Dead lifts are an absolute must to make sustainable and measurable gains.

Wells himself seems to espouse the benefits of circuits on his website, http://www.findingfitwithin.com/, where he shows a man performing a four point circuit on the home page.

From my perspective, he is not being hypocritical. He tailors a program to the individuals needs of the client. Whether the client is a novice, intermediate, or an elite athlete will be a function of how he/she is treated. Now his example on the video is a man who is clearly not a novice . Clearly he has paid his dues behind those closed doors. I can tell that just by looking at his hips. From my observation, the client is strong (IMO). The video might be a one functional part of his training but there's a lot more going on than just that one circuit training. do you get what I am saying?

It is ironic that Wells points to the current regime as having, "an inability to accommodate new ways of thinking," as there are extremely reactionary elements inherent in his prescribed techniques. Focusing one's workout around squats, the bench press and deadlifts is typical "old school" and only exercises primary muscle groups and ignoring key stabilizing muscles, leaving one more susceptible to injury.

Ok, so you're wanting me to completely ignore this paragraph? Because there is a lot going on here that fuels the fire.

Replace with:
Quote:
Apologies on my part for any confusion. I tried to clarify in my follow-up post above but happy to do so again here.

The sentence you quoted was the product of two unfinished thoughts, the first being that "muscle confusion" exercises are an extension, an evolved offspring if you will, of traditional compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, etc. The stated (and, based on experience, achieved) goals of both are similar if not identical, and I find that criticizing one is akin to criticizing the other.

I'll be honest, I'm still confused but I'll give it a shot, anyway... Hypothetically, if there does exist this so called "muscle confusion", it's evolution as you say came about from squats, dead lifts, and presses. What am I missing here? Why would you try "muscle confusion" on a weak bodied person? Why not just put that person under a bar and have them lift it? Come back the next time and lift it again, but with an incremental weight change. Come back again, etc... until that weak body person is strong(er). Then you can take that strong person and incorporate new goals that might connect a sport or just being able to move a refrigerator down a flight of stairs..

The second part of the sentence was meant to discuss the notable difference between compound and isolation exercises as a contrast to the parallels between "muscle confusion" and compound exercises.

Ok, so here you didn't answer my question. What muscles does a proper squat leave out? The answer is none unless you're under the impression that a squat should be done above parallel. (not assuming you don't know but please clarify your understanding)
We all strive for maximum relative fitness, commensurate with what our bodies are able to physically sustain, and what our day-job schedules realistically allow. While there are certainly flaws in cross training programs, as there are with any fitness program, that does not change the fact that they deliver results for those of who cannot work out full-time.

I have two teaching jobs, two kids, and more hobbies than I know what to do with. My workout consists of approximately 1.25 hrs, three times per week. Sometimes just twice a week. I'm stronger and more viable at 36 than I was in the Marine Corp in my twenties. I could barely dunk the basketball in high school at 6'3 175lbs. I'm 240 lbs and last month I dunked a basketball. That is all a result of taking my squats 5RM 185lbs to 365lbs since November. Really that is weak for my weight, but hey...I've got around 2/3 my life left, right?

Full disclosure, I have not personally completed a program such as P90X, but circuit / muscle confusion training is a huge part of my daily workout.

Finally, I found this quote to be particularly absurd:

I don't mean for this post to be argumentative, as I am certainly open to new training techniques, especially from someone who has the impressive credentials of Wells. I just don't agree with this particular write-up. In all seriousness, if you feel I am simply missing some key point from the article, I would appreciate it if you would clarify for my benefit.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. Please clarify anything I took the wrong way. Look forward to more discussion...
Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #40
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Meh, nothing in that article is going to change what I'm doing. I strongly disagree with his notion that cardio is pointless. Honestly, if I could only do one thing at the end of this process, it would be the ability to run without stopping. I don't give the slightest damn about how much I can lift, because it is pointless to me. I want to be healthy. There is nothing that I do in my life that requires being strong.

I missed yesterday, but 8/3/2011: 178.6 lbs.