Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 04-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will Mike Rice get hired again?

Mike Rice, the recently fired head coach of the Rutgers basketball program, who verbally and physically abused players.

There isn't a rational world in which he gets hired again, is there? I mean, I'm sure he can go to counseling and such. But if you are hiring a basketball coach, can't you always find another person who you think is probably pretty close to being as good a basketball coach, but without the baggage?

I'm just wondering what happens to a guy like Mike Rice. Does he end up selling insurance? His career should rightfully be over, right?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Yea, one would think so. That's a career-ending type of scenario, and one I don't feel bad at all. Hearing his comments and him "choking back" and regretting everything, I think he knows what he was doing was wrong and he knew it the whole time he was doing it. The "choking back" in the interview was probably more of him realizing he will never be able to coach again, and rightfully so.

The other angle is the effect it would take on any program. Why would any recruit want to come play for him after seeing such a tape? Hell, even if he dropped to high school, I know if I had a child I would be looking for other options just for the chance to not play under a coach with a history like that.
saclare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you. And I hope it's true, because in my mind I imagine that there are way more guys who can do a job like coach Rutgers than there are positions available, and as such an idiot like Rice should never find employ.

What I do find absolutely fascinating is the nature of the punishment, should every actor act rationally. What Rice did was certainly bad in a way, but is it the kind of thing that should banish you from your profession for the rest of your life? No, from one perspective, but yes from another. Fascinating.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
... but is it the kind of thing that should banish you from your profession for the rest of your life? No, from one perspective, but yes from another. Fascinating.
Isn't it kind of the risk/reward thing? If you're getting paid $700,000 per year to coach basketball at a place like Rutgers, which by virtue of proximity gets disproportionate media spotlght, you can't really afford to get caught on video physically and verbally abusing your players on the scale that Rice did. (it was in part the highlight reel nature of the incidents that made termination inevitable.)

That is, unless you already have 800 or so career wins, your last name is Knight, and you're getting your marginally talented team into the NCAA tourney. If Rice had been winning instead of looking up at .500, he might well still be coaching, I think. They'd have found a rationale to keep him. Hell, they did their best to keep him as it was.

On the other hand if you're out pulling in $70,000/per at Southwest Podunk Community College and this happens, maybe you coach a program again in a few years after selling sneakers & Ts for awhile, and after an assistant coaching gig.

Question: Who hires Rice now? I'd think any AD has to be wary of a guy whose behavior theatens the jobs of both an AD and university president.

Also, who hires Pinetti? (I think he's on his way out.) Update: He's gone.

And who hires Eric Murdock? For MY entertainment dollar, Murdock is the interesting case here. Moral of the story: Don't screw with the AV guy. Some details of the back-and-forth here.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 04-05-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Rice will never get hired again, and thank god. Murdock won't get a job again, either, for opposite reasons. The assistant coach at Baylor who wore a wire and exposed Dave Bliss's crimes hasn't worked in coaching since, either.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Rice was apparently coaching a 7th grade girls' basketball team over this past weekend and was as "fiery" as before.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote