Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #41
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
By "fan service" I mean the inclusion of Boba Fett('s dad) and Chewbacca for no other reason than to have Boba Fett and Chewbacca in the movie... Or a pod race scene that's totally reminiscent of the speeder bike scene... Or the asteroid field, AGAIN... And didn't the C3 unit at the beginning of Phantom Menace say "how rude" just like C3PO did in Empire? Or how about Anakin getting his hand cut off at the end of the second movie just like Luke did?

I could go on and on and on - these things were included solely for the sake of nostalgia, rather than because they were relevant to the plot.
That's true, but I view those as minuscule items for the purpose of not having all Star Wars fans in open rebellion against the franchise. The big stuff like plot, writing, dialogue, Jar Jar, and Metichlorians were anything but fan pleasers. Honestly, if Lucas had just remade four, five, and six with a younger cast and better effects it still woulda been better than that crap he gave us in one, two, and three.

As long as Abrams gives us something that we won't wipe ourselves in the morning with plot-wise, then I've got nothing against those small fan pleasers.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #42
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
As long as Abrams gives us something that we won't wipe ourselves in the morning with plot-wise, then I've got nothing against those small fan pleasers.
Go see Star Trek Into Darkness and get back to me on that one... Although I did enjoy the movie, there was a callback at the climax of the movie that was so ham-fisted that I literally rolled my eyes when it happened. The rest of the audience either cheered for the nostalgia or laughed at the total unoriginality.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-24-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #43
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

I´m still used to Raumschiff Enterprise. Are the new flicks still good ?

@ Murph : Did you watch "Wohnung" meanwhile gg

Last edited by GermanDunk; 05-24-2013 at 07:04 PM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:13 AM   #44
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
By "fan service" I mean the inclusion of Boba Fett('s dad) and Chewbacca for no other reason than to have Boba Fett and Chewbacca in the movie... Or a pod race scene that's totally reminiscent of the speeder bike scene... Or the asteroid field, AGAIN... And didn't the C3 unit at the beginning of Phantom Menace say "how rude" just like C3PO did in Empire? Or how about Anakin getting his hand cut off at the end of the second movie just like Luke did?

I could go on and on and on - these things were included solely for the sake of nostalgia, rather than because they were relevant to the plot.
Some parts were definitely nostalgia (C3 unit), while others may appear that way but could just be central to Lucas' attempt to show how connected the universe was (jango fett, chewy in the prequels). Then you have moments like anakin losing his hand that I always took as an attempt to show the parallels between Luke and his father.

Now don't get me wrong, I generally disliked the prequels. I thought including jango fett was ridiculous on all levels. But I can't just dismiss that as simply fan service - who knows what Lucas' original intent was? It could have been in his head all along...
Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #45
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

As for star trek - aside from the main villain being a major callback, I didn't mind the other stuff. The tribble could have been any species for that plot device - why not make it a tribble for a wink?

Why have bones say "dammit Jim, I'm a doctor"? Why have kirk sleeping with alien babes? Because when you have a film based on subject matter (especially revered subject matter) and based on specific characters, some of those nostalgic throwaway things should be included for the fans.

If this were an entirely new set of characters, then including those same throwaway things would be hokey. But it works here, IMO.

However, I did not like the <SPOILER ALERT> deus ex machina that was future Spock giving current Spock information. That was a major plot point in both films that was just a way to get nimoy into the film (and the film suffered because of it).
Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #46
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Finally saw Star Trek this past weekend. Decent popcorn flick, but something felt empty about it that I can't quite explain. Something about it felt kinda "been there, done that" before. I still enjoyed it though.

Haha, and I see what UD was talking about at the end of the movie that is a "fan pleaser." It was pretty silly but didn't bother me too much. None of the fan pleasers really bothered me overall.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #47
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Mr. Plinkett: Star Trek Into Reference

Old 06-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #48
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I LOVE redlettermedia, but I could not have disagreed with them more on their star trek review. Funny video, though.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #49
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I LOVE redlettermedia, but I could not have disagreed with them more on their star trek review. Funny video, though.
I agree with you, but they're big-time Trek geeks, so I can understand being disappointed from their perspective... Personally, I thought it was a great popcorn flick.

I am, however, still worried about Abrams taking over Star Wars. The excessive amount of callbacks and fan service in his two Trek outings were acceptable, but I still think Star Wars is in need of a completely fresh adventure - especially after three prequels stuffed to the brim with callbacks and fan service. The last thing Star Wars needs is more nostalgia, but I'm afraid they're going to keep milking that cow as long as people keep showing up with fistfuls of money.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-04-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #50
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree with you, but they're big-time Trek geeks, so I can understand being disappointed from their perspective... Personally, I thought it was a great popcorn flick.

I am, however, still worried about Abrams taking over Star Wars. The excessive amount of callbacks and fan service in his two Trek outings were acceptable, but I still think Star Wars is in need of a completely fresh adventure - especially after three prequels stuffed to the brim with callbacks and fan service. The last thing Star Wars needs is more nostalgia, but I'm afraid they're going to keep milking that cow as long as people keep showing up with fistfuls of money.
I hear you on that one. I don't think Abrams is a particularly inspired choice for Star Wars. Not necessarily a bad choice either, just not the best. I was really hoping for Brad Bird. Apparently they offered him the job and he turned it down. I'm cautiously optimistic though. Abrams is definitely skilled and they've got good writers on the project. I'm sure has considerably less control over this than he's accustomed to on his films. Usually that's a bad thing but this time it might do good by keeping his bad habits in check.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #51
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I highly recommend Mud.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #52
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to take a step in the right direction and totally misinterpret the character, but that's what they did with Man of Steel.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-14-2013 at 08:44 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #53
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
It's hard to take a step in the right direction and totally misinterpret the character, but that's what they did with Man of Steel.
I'm really torn on Man of Steel. I thought Cavill was great when he actually got to do something, but there was way too much mass destruction for the movie to have any gravity. Like Supes bent over backwards to save some of the soldiers in Smallville, yet he and Zod smashed through like 100 skyscrapers in Metropolis, seemingly killing hundreds of thousands of people in the process without a single ounce of sorrow or regret by any of the characters. They're still rebuilding the World Trade Center after 9/11... in Metropolis, they have decades upon decades of work to do. What is he supposed to defend in the sequel? He did a terrible job protecting Metropolis the first time around.

Snap take: Superman Returns was better. Superman had more defining characteristics, was a lot closer to the character I remember from the comics/cartoons as a kid, and jesus... compare the two scenes where Metropolis is under attack. Routh's Superman was in a frenzy trying to protect every single person, whereas Cavill's Superman was punching Zod through buildings like they were dominoes.

The visuals were spectacular, though, and I think this version of Superman is a much more natural foil for a cynical Batman that secretly has reservations about the amount of power Superman could use if he went sideways. I would love if the Man of Steel sequel was centered around Lex Luthor leading the relief efforts in helping to rebuild Metropolis and using the publicity against Superman. Could be a great angle, especially if they somehow wove Bruce Wayne into the mix. As many things as I didn't like about this movie, one thing I will say is that it really sets the table, potentially, for some compelling sequels and shared-universe movies.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:41 AM   #54
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I'm not sure why This is the End is getting such good reviews. It is pretty damned bland. I had to walk out when the brought out the Backstreet Boys for a 2 minute singing montage - granted this was at the end, thank god.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #55
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the end was pretty good.. I laughed consistently. I didn't think it was great by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #56
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I just can't stand Seth Rogen. Unfunniest "funny guy" in the business right now.

Last edited by Bayliss; 06-16-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #57
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

This is the End; interesting concept but poor execution.

There were some laughs. McBride chewed up the scenery pretty well (although he was basically playing Kenny Powers). But, as the movie progressed, it felt like a wasted idea. Rogen, Hill, and the protagonist Jay Whomever could all have easily been replaced with any other celebrity, and the "surprise" cameos all fell flat due to the fact that when you have a movie full of celebrities playing themselves, adding more celebrities playing themselves later on has little effect. I left the theater thinking they had no ending and that it was overall a stupid movie. I laughed, but they were cheap laughs that had nothing to do with the central plot of the movie. It could have been about 6 celebrities going to the mall and they would have been able to pull off the same gross out humor.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #58
Murphy3
Guru

much better than you're giving it credit for.

Last edited by Murphy3; 06-16-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #59
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Just saw Man of Steel. I didn't think I could be disappointed because my expectations were fairly low, but man..... what a colossal piece of sh*t this movie is.

I fully expected the movie to take itself way too seriously, and be relatively devoid of (intentional) humor and charm. I can handle that. What I didn't expect was for the movie to be mind-numbingly stupid and unintentionally hilarious. There were a good four or five moments that were so ridiculous I couldn't stop myself from chuckling. One scene in particular involving a tornado made me laugh so loud that other people in the theater started giving me dirty looks. I also didn't expect the movie to completely waste most of its great cast (Amy Adams, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane and Laurence Fishburn all have roles so underdeveloped and poorly-written, they might as well have been played by anybody.)

I liked Henry Cavill well enough (which surprised me a bit). Michael Shannon is a badass villain, and Russell Crowe is fine as usual. There's some neat visuals of course, but other than that, total stinker. The third act is especially painful. Really, almost Transformers bad. One giant, INSANELY long, drawn-out action sequence that goes on for about 30 minutes longer than it should (not exaggerating.) It reminded me of Peter Griffin fighting the giant rooster. Plus, it's the same tired ass thing we've seen countless times in recent blockbusters; a giant battle with aliens in the middle of a New York-ish city. Without looking anything up, just see how many movies you can list off the top of your head that have that exact same sequence. Go ahead, try it! I just now counted six thinking too hard. (To be fair, three of them are Transformers movies.) EDIT: And Spreedom is dead-on about the amount of destruction and the carnage it would inevitably cause; another moment that made me laugh hysterically was a part where Superman is freaking out over Zod threatening to kill a single family, totally oblivious that their fist fight must have just killed half the f*cking city. And that's not the only hilarious thing about this scene. Trust me, this one's worthy of Mystery Science Theatre. Also, this is a small thing, but the product placement in this movie is really ham-fisted and distracting.

I'm sure the movie will make a ton of money (I was dumb enough to pay for it,) and there will probably be at least two sequels. However I'm convinced as ever that Hollywood still doesn't "get" Superman. I'm also convinced that David Goyer is a talentless hack who only has a career from riding Chris Nolan's coattails, and that Zack Snyder might actually be retarded. For a sequel to be any good at all, the execs at WB would have to ditch Snyder and Goyer, and then lock themselves in a dark room and watch nothing but Max Fleischer cartoons until they understand what is appealing about Superman. He's appealing because he's a childhood fantasy, not because he's a Jesus allegory. And for god's sake, Hollywood, ENOUGH with the 9/11 imagery already.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-17-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #60
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

I thought the first two acts of This is the End were pretty good, and I laughed pretty consistently. I even referenced it today when my sister was talking about gluten-free food.

Third act was pretty weak.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #61
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I read an article on Grantland this weekend and it gave a good timeline of Superman. I think it hit the nail on the head when it talked about the character's success. TV has really done a good job with the character while film still struggles with it.

Like I said, it's hard to find a way to take a step in the right direction but still ruin the character. There's stuff that helps lay the groundwork for the future of this run of the character, but they still have some serious work to do.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #62
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Just saw man of steel. Let me first start with the good. SPOILERS below.

I really liked cavill - thought that was great casting. Actually, really good casting overall. Shannon looked menacing (although his voice is not menacing AT ALL). Crowe was great as Jor-El. Adams and Fishburne were good. Costner/Lane were also great. The kids who played young Clark also put in strong performances (which leads me to...)

I LOVED all the flashbacks and the migration of Clark Kent (the odd jobs and heroics) (yes, even the tornado scene. While it was shot kind of cheesy, the scene itself was very telling as to the kind of man that raised Clark).

And... ok, that's it. That's all I liked.

Now for the negatives:

It didn't feel like I was watching superman. it felt like some horrible copy of the character. Sure, he flew and had x-ray and heat vision... but it wasn't the same character. I found myself getting quite bored at times.

as you guys have mentioned, the fight scenes were ridiculous. it's one thing to have superman hit into a building by an opponent. But to have him actually initiating the destruction numerous times? Supes would have taken that fight out to the middle of nowhere or into space.

Also thought it was comical he finally cared about the family at the end, or that he saved the one soldier who fell out of the helicopter. Dude, you've let hundreds or thousands die already...

Lois finds his "fortress of solitude" (or the equivalent) the same time he does? She finds out who he is basically immediately? Look, I know the "superman puts on glasses and no one recognizes him" bit is cheesy, but how about a little mystery?

The opening Krypton sequence went on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. Again, another thing that made it feel like some other movie (more like star trek than superman).

Same with the terra-former scenes. Made me feel like I was watching War of the Worlds.

Saw this mentioned on twitter (forget by who), but it made me chuckle when i actually saw it on screen. "hey lois, court side seats!" um, to what, dude? the city is fucking GONE!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #63
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Also, who thought it was a good idea to have the casings for Zod and his men look like giant dicks ascending into space? Space dicks, everyone!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #64
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Old 06-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #65
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
That's unfortunate, but the important thing is, Supes stopped Zod from killing 5 people with his heat vision. That's what really matters here.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #66
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
I´m still used to Raumschiff Enterprise. Are the new flicks still good ?

@ Murph : Did you watch "Wohnung" meanwhile gg
I'm not familiar with that...
Old 06-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #67
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Sooooooooooooooooooo......

Glad I skipped Man of Steel and saw World War Z. As someone who didn't read the book beforehand, I was quite entertained.

Major plus in my book is that he got his kids to a safe place within in the first 20 minutes of the movie. There is nothing worse in a disaster flick than the protagonists spending the majority of the film trying to protect their dumb-ass kid from harm for the majority of the movie.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #68
Murphy3
Guru

Went and saw WWZ also.. entertaining. The ending kinda left me thinking "that's it?" But, I enjoyed it.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #69
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Just saw World War Z and it was fun and entertaining. Definitely keeps your eyes glued to the screen the whole movie. Some ridiculous logic and plot holes, but for a summer blockbuster action movie it was decent.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #70
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

WWZ was definitely intense. It wasn't a fantastic movie or a popcorn movie (too tense to give you time to munch popcorn), but entertaining and worth the cash.

End of the World was silly, stupid and offensive-- basically like Superbad sodomized Dogma.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #71
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I had a tough time sitting through Man of Steel. It was so poorly written at times it made me physically cringe, which is unfortunate because I thought it did some things well and those things got covered up by the awful script.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #72
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I had a tough time sitting through Man of Steel. It was so poorly written at times it made me physically cringe, which is unfortunate because I thought it did some things well and those things got covered up by the awful script.
I thought the last hour of that movie would never end. It honestly felt like torture.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #73
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, my gf made it go see that lovely work of art last weekend(I guess two weekends ago now), but I didn't even think it deserved to be mentioned. But since you mentioned the writing...

Seriously, I could forgive the JJ Abrams wannabe Krypton or the team america world police style of saving the planet while destroying everything, or even the cheesy twister scene. What I can't forgive is some of the worst dialogue I've ever seen on screen. You could just see that no cast in the world could do anything with that script. And the directing was no better. Bad directing+bad screenplay+epicly bad dialogue= crap movie.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #74
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I thought the last hour of that movie would never end. It honestly felt like torture.
I thought it was over, but then the last fight goes on for 20 minutes. Brutal.

Quote:
Yeah, my gf made it go see that lovely work of art last weekend(I guess two weekends ago now), but I didn't even think it deserved to be mentioned. But since you mentioned the writing...

Seriously, I could forgive the JJ Abrams wannabe Krypton or the team america world police style of saving the planet while destroying everything, or even the cheesy twister scene. What I can't forgive is some of the worst dialogue I've ever seen on screen. You could just see that no cast in the world could do anything with that script. And the directing was no better. Bad directing+bad screenplay+epicly bad dialogue= crap movie.
The script absolutely handcuffed the cast. No doubt about it.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #75
Murphy3
Guru

I really enjoyed Now You See Me. Yes, it was a bit far fetched at times..but enjoyable..
Old 07-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #76
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Saw Pacific Rim yesterday. Decent monster flick with cool fights and visuals. Pretty silly plot though with some incoherent holes. Still, you don't really see a movie like this for plot. Surprised actually how much they took from the cult movie Robot Jox.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #77
Underdog

Quote:
Saw Pacific Rim yesterday. Decent monster flick with cool fights and visuals. Pretty silly plot though with some incoherent holes. Still, you don't really see a movie like this for plot. Surprised actually how much they took from the cult movie Robot Jox.
Just saw it... Big, dumb summer movie with a predictable plot, cliché dialogue, flat humor and mediocre acting, but watching those fight scenes on the big screen was worth the price of admission. It was somehow the most and least original movie I've seen all summer.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #78
LonghornDub

My friend who is a young (fairly successful) screenwriter and film director said he thought Pacific Rim was the best blockbuster since Independence Day. I haven't seen it, so I can't comment, but that sounded like really high (excessively high?) praise.

(BTW I don't think he was including less family-friendly films like the Batman trilogy.)

Old 07-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #79
Underdog

Quote:
My friend who is a young (fairly successful) screenwriter and film director said he thought Pacific Rim was the best blockbuster since Independence Day. I haven't seen it, so I can't comment, but that sounded like really high (excessively high?) praise.

(BTW I don't think he was including less family-friendly films like the Batman trilogy.)
I guess if you liked Independence Day and also don't include above-average popcorn flicks like The Avengers, Pirates of the Caribbean (1st one) or the Star Trek reboot... Pacific Rim probably doesn't even crack my top 250 movies of all time, but it certainly wasn't a waste of money. I've definitely seen worse this summer (The Lone Ranger springs to mind).

Go see it and decide for yourself - the fight scenes alone are worth the price of admission.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-14-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #80
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Just saw it... Big, dumb summer movie with a predictable plot, cliché dialogue, flat humor and mediocre acting, but watching those fight scenes on the big screen was worth the price of admission. It was somehow the most and least original movie I've seen all summer.
I grew up on Godzilla movies so I do think I probably held it to a higher standard. I probably would have liked it more if I was that age again.

**SPOILER**

Few things that bugged me...

What bothered me was the lack of elements. I loved in old Godzilla movies that no matter how futile it was that tanks, howitzers, and jets still put in a good fight. This movie helicopters just flew around doing nothing. And no Jets, Tanks or anything. Even in the beginning of the movie they said they took down a monster with just those since they had no choice at that point. But later on, only the robots and people in them fought.

Also, did we need another "end of the world" movie? Plenty of big monster movies, including that awful Emmerich Godzilla, weren't about the end of the world. The original Godzilla was also not about the end of the world. We've seen that played out a zillion times now. Funny that Longhorn said his friend thought it was the best movie since Independence day since the very end of Rim was basically the same ending.