Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-12-2016, 05:47 AM   #1
ThisCharmingFan

ThisCharmingFan is a jewel in the roughThisCharmingFan is a jewel in the roughThisCharmingFan is a jewel in the rough
Default Question about Jason Kidds 3 point shooting progression

Alright im looking for information from some of the old timers around here who watched Jason Kidd from start to finish. The general consensus is that Jason Kidd was terrible at shooting 3s when he started his career and he developed into someone who climbed the rankings of all time shooters. I feel like this has started to become stated as fact by young kids who dont actually know but have just heard this is how history went. Looking at statistics, i am more under the impression that Jason Kidd could not shoot in general so his overall field goal percentage was low; however, when looking at his 3 point percentage throughout his seasons, he looks to hover right around 33%. Sometime ls lower. Sometimes considerably higher but the main thing that does not change when looking at his statistics throughout the years is that his field goal percentage is actually what is low to the point where until around his second stint in dallas, he was under 40%. This leads me to my main question.. Was it his 3 pt shooting that was bad or was it his field goal percentage as a whole? Your overall field goal percentage affects your 3 pt percentage to the point where when comparing Jason Kidds 2 percentages, i would be under the impression that the majority of his shots actually were 3 pointers, lowering his overall percentage but actually making his 3 pt percentage not as bad as the myth seems to be. What is the truth here? Maybe he took a lot of long 2s mixed in with his 3s? I get the feeling some of these posters on other forums dont actually know what they are talking about, which is why i wanted the opinion of people who actually have a bit of knowledge and memory on his game. I could be wrong but the way the numbers compare i think he went from average 3 shooter to above average instead of abysmal to amazing as the common belief seems to be. How wrong am i in my thought process here or is it too scatter brained to understand?
ThisCharmingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links