Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 03-09-2001, 10:57 AM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone notice LMF's use of pop-up ads recently? Personally, I can't stand them! Especially when one pops up for EVERY different page you look at. I wouldn't mind if it was just one pop-up that displayed a different ad each time you clicked over to a new page, but having 10+ browser windows opening automatically is just irritating. That board already has three or more other ads on each page (three banners, one link) so that's why I'm a little surprised. Oh well..I guess I'll learn to love 'em somehow [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

BTW, if you guys ever see a pop-up ad on this site, please come and kick my ass!! I'll probably have to add a banner sometime in the next few month since I'm pretty much losing money like crazy on this site, but NO POP-UPS!

<end of rant>
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2001, 11:14 AM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Those pop-up things DRIVE ME CRAZY! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] . Like you said, I could stand it if they only popped up once put everytime you go to a different friggin page. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Thank God your site doesn't have them.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 12:47 PM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh looks like LMF/SportsOnly decided to take them down [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2001, 02:28 PM   #4
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sportstalk was driving me nuts with their stupid "aria" credit card pop-ups...
Old 03-09-2001, 04:44 PM   #5
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

I think there was something you could download that stopped pop up. I forget where it was. Anyone know?
Old 03-09-2001, 04:51 PM   #6
djb
Administrator

There are a couple programs that can block pop-ups. I haven't used any of these, but I know a lot of people do.

AnalogX
Norton Internet Security 2001
PopUp Killer

Although I can't stand pop-ups, the sad truth is that most sites just aren't making any money by simply displaying banner ads. The situation was much different a year ago when banner ads payed quite well. But since no one ever clicks on them.. Anyway, if you use a program like the ones listed above to block ads on your favorite sites, then you're really not helping them out any. Maintaining a site can be pretty expensive (especially if it's really popular and generates a lot of traffic) so that's why I'm willing to put up with those pesky ads on sites I frequently visit. Just wanted to get that off my chest [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2001, 05:48 PM   #7
djb
Administrator

My bad..looks like LMF is still using them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2001, 10:21 PM   #8
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Damn, this is the first time I've gone to the LMF in a few days and those things are DAMN annoying. Every friggin page another pops up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 10:38 PM   #9
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

AHHHHH it pops up for EVERY MESSAGE on the board, very annoying.
Old 03-09-2001, 10:42 PM   #10
djb
Administrator

It's irritating because it pops up in the freakin background, so before you know it, there are like 10 open windows waiting for you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]