Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #281
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
So UD, glad you enjoyed it. Any plans on following Caprica?

I can't wait to see something new from Caprica.... that was cruel for them to release the first aired episode on DVD 9 months ago and have us wait this long for another one. I didn't even watch last Friday since I have the DVD.... did anyone watch it and was it different than the DVD (other than nixing the frontal naughty bits of the girl in the VR world?).
I'm gonna wait until Caprica has made it's entire run before I dive in.

I think the reason a lot of folks disliked the last 2 seasons of BSG was because they followed it during it's run. When you have a week between episodes and several months between seasons, your inner fan-fiction starts to kick-in - you build expectations about the show and when those expectations aren't met, disappointment follows.

That's why I wait for the entire run of a show before I start it - I like to see where the writers/directors are going to take me without any expectations on my end. Plus, a show is a lot easier to follow when you watch every episode back-to-back.

[speaking of which, I'm still awaiting a final verdict on Lost]

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #282
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
[speaking of which, I'm still awaiting a final verdict on Lost]
This just in! It's awesome!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #283
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
This just in! It's awesome!
I'm still waiting to make sure the entire show isn't just a Smoke Monster dream...

Old 11-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #284
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I've been working through this series over the past couple weeks...thanks NetFlicks...

Other than its sometimes soap opera mood swings and storylines...I really loved how all the characters continually made suspect (or even terrible)choices. Seemed much more realistic that at times, "the good guys" are conspiring to have someone killed, etc.

I really liked Baltar and Cavil....oh, and the Scottish Lawyer "Romo"? was a genius little character.

One thing I didn't like was how often they used their custom curse words (frack, frackin, Gods)...with as much as they did it, it just sounded goofy.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:25 AM   #285
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
One thing I didn't like was how often they used their custom curse words (frack, frackin, Gods)...with as much as they did it, it just sounded goofy.
That was probably my single biggest grievance with the entire series.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #286
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

You liked Baltar??

No one likes Baltar!

I want to fight you.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #287
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
You liked Baltar??

No one likes Baltar!

I want to fight you.
What??

Baltar epitomized each of humanity's weaknesses at one point or another - vanity, pride, lust, envy, greed, excess, wrath, treachery, apathy, cowardice, despair.

He was easily the most relatable character on the show.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #288
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
What??

Baltar epitomized each of humanity's weaknesses at one point or another - vanity, pride, lust, envy, greed, excess, wrath, treachery, apathy, cowardice, despair.

He was easily the most relatable character on the show.
I agree...he was always an extreme of some kind, but I pretty much always felt sorry for him. He is the kid that just doesn't know how to get along with anyone and doesn't have any close friends.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #289
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
You liked Baltar??

No one likes Baltar!

I want to fight you.
Just don't tell me you liked Lee or Starbuck...sigh, so lame and cardboard.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #290
sike
The Preacha

So here is an honest question...why did the other "skin job" cylons not know who the "final five" were but Cavil did? I'm assuming somehow he erased their collective memories, but was that ever expressly said?

and why didn't 4 of the "final five" remember who they were? Seems that Ellen remembered everything, but the other 4 had different degrees of memory of their old lives.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #291
Underdog

Default SPOILERS

Quote:
So here is an honest question...why did the other "skin job" cylons not know who the "final five" were but Cavil did? I'm assuming somehow he erased their collective memories, but was that ever expressly said?

and why didn't 4 of the "final five" remember who they were? Seems that Ellen remembered everything, but the other 4 had different degrees of memory of their old lives.
Yep, I'm pretty sure Cavil mentions it at some point during the final season, but I know for sure that he lays out a full explanation in 'The Plan'.

Cavil wiped the memories of their current bodies so they wouldn't know who they were when the colonies were attacked - he wanted them to *feel* just how pathetic being human actually was... The plan kinda backfired when none of the 4 were actually killed in the invasion and, ironically, the "belief" that they had always been human ended up playing a key role in ending the war between man and Cylons. Cavil had to suffer through the knowledge of being a Cylon trapped in a meat puppet body, whereas the other 4 got to experience the joys of "being human" because they were unaware of their true nature...

Only Ellen remembered who she was because her mind-erased body was killed and she was downloaded into a new body that remembered everything.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-08-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: because
Old 11-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #292
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute
Default SPOILERS...?

I am still working through this show. I think I prefer season 1 to any of the seasons (and the beginning to anything since). I got a momentary spark of giddiness when Baltar became the nagging voice in 6's head. That was hilarious.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #293
sike
The Preacha

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Underdog again.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #294
sike
The Preacha

2 things...

1. Woah...why did they pilot the fleet's ships into the sun??? Because Technology is bad??!!

pleeeeeeezzzzz.

2. What was with all that Kara being the "destroyer" garbage?

Old 11-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #295
Underdog

Quote:
2 things...

1. Woah...why did they pilot the fleet's ships into the sun??? Because Technology is bad??!!

pleeeeeeezzzzz.

2. What was with all that Kara being the "destroyer" garbage?
1. Not that technology was bad, but because the Cylons could detect the technology. No tech = no Cylons = no problems.

2. Yeah... What? I think they wrote themselves into a corner with Starbuck. That's my only major criticism of this show.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-08-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #296
sike
The Preacha

I didn't mind the ending...it was a pretty good series overall with bold writing and honest pictures of humans.

It won't hold up in my memory as a classically great show, but it was very good.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 AM   #297
sike
The Preacha

Watched "The Plan" tonight.

SPOILER:

When Cavil stabbed that little boy I literally drew in a deep breath of surprise. That was hardcore. "Friends are dangerous." Wow.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #298
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The Plan was probably superfluous and a little self indulgent by them as an attempt to explain themselves to the viewers... but I really enjoyed it.

And after two complete viewings, it's definitely one of my favorite shows of all time. Very high up on my list, but maybe that's just me.

Tags
excellent television, your mom is a cylon