Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shamless self-promotion, but still NBA-related

Hey guys.

I recently just started covering the NBA on a new website,
www.yoursportstake.com

It's a really new website and I'd really appreciate it if you guys took a look at it, feel free to write your hateful comments as well.

My first one was with a major influence to db.com with their point deficit breakdown, then a power rankings breakdown, and my latest one with a new monthly debate subject.

So please guys, just take a bit and check it out. thanks
Old 04-11-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Nice, but it would be better if it was Dirk vs Dirk...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Nice, but it would be better if it was Dirk vs Dirk...
Haha...thanks

I DO plan on having a dirk-focused article up within the next month or so. I write two columns a week, so I'll need material ready and he'll be a good one to go with.

I do plan to use him as well on a future edition of Who Ya Got?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
FiZth

FiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of light

Great articles there and some nice info, but I really don't like this site design and structure. I recommend you to maybe use Wordpress CMS or maybe Joomla CMS. Also I don't know what's your goal is with this site, but when you want more visitors, then read something about SEO. When you need some tips or help, then just contact me.
FiZth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
BGMaverick9
Guru

Hey guys...I wanted to add this on here if you haven't had a chance to check out the site yet.

I wrote this a few weeks ago but I thought it might be even more interesting of a debate now based on what's happened in the playoffs.
http://www.yoursportstake.com/NBA/NB...TVSHOWARD.html

Quote:
Each month here at YourSportsTake.com, we are going to provide you with a friendly debate you can have amongst your friends to decide which of two selected players YOU would start a franchise with, Who Ya Got? This opening volume will pit offense versus defense, it’s Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder against Dwight Howard of the Orlando Magic. Here is a breakdown of each player.

This year will mark the completion of the 3rd season for Kevin Durant. He was drafted 2nd in the 2007 NBA Draft from the University of Texas. In his lone season in Austin he was third in the nation in scoring and fourth in the nation in rebounds. Based off his productivity in his freshman year, he was name AP National Player of the Year. The knock on Durant as he entered the NBA was he was long and thin, durability was going to be a concern of the long NBA season. As this season ends, he’ll have an average of 3-4 games missed per year.

Durant is a scoring machine with unlimited range. Kevin was named the NBA Rookie of the year in 2008. In his rookie year season he was 24th in the league for scoring at 20.3 points/game. His scoring stats continued to surge upwards. In his second year, he jumped up to 6th in the league for scoring at 25.3 points/game. As of now, he has been trending to end this year as the scoring champion at 30 points/game. Durantula has been on a massive scoring run. Kevin held a streak of seven consecutive game of scoring 30 or more points. Also, he leads the league in 30 point games where 44 games this year he has eclipsed the 30 point mark. Durant also leads the league in free throw attempts per game, 10.3/game. He does have the scoring mastery, but people wonder is he concerned about just his scoring numbers or will he contribute elsewhere on the court? All of his averages in rebounding, steals, assists, and blocks have improved. The only category he doesn’t rank inside the top 40 in the league is with assists at 2.8/game. At age 21, it’s hard to argue when his career is over he’ll be considered one of the all-time greatest scorers to ever play in the NBA.

Dwight Howard jumped right from High School to the NBA, Kevin Garnett was a sense of inspiration to make that decision. He was the #1 overall pick in the 2004. He was the first player directly out of high school to start all 82 games during their rookie season. Howard was also the youngest player in NBA history to average a double-double in a season. He finished 3rd in the voting for 2004 NBA Rookie of the Year.

A dramatic transformation occurred entering his 2nd season, he added 20 pounds of muscle. This advice was given to him by hiscoach in order to help improve his progression in becoming a dominant center. Since then, he has been the most dominant defensive force in the middle since Hakeem Olajuwon and Dikembe Mutombo in the ‘90s. Howard has the records for youngest player to reach the 1,000 through 5,000 benchmarks for rebounds. This season will finish off a stretch where he will lead the league in rebounds as well as blocks for the second consecutive year. Being the leader in those two categories for two consecutive years is a feat that has never been accomplished before. Superman also holds an NBA Finals record for blocks in an NBA Finals game with 9 blocks against the LA Lakers during last year’s Finals. Also, he was the starting center for Team USA, which won the Gold Medal during the 2008 Olympic Games held in Beijing.

The knock on Howard is his lack of versatility for scoring, Howard is usually at the top of the league in terms of dunks. He is a career 17.5 points/game scorer. Dwight has former NY Knicks great, Patrick Ewing, as an assistant coach and he should be able to help him advance his low-post moves. If he isn’t scoring, his size and strength does force teams to double-team him which allows him to pass the ball out to open 3-point shooters. This year will be the third year in a row where Orlando has been in the top three for 3-pointers attempted over the season. Howard’s size and strength clearly provide an inside-outside force that has to be dealt with.

Age isn’t that huge of a factor between the two, Durant is 21 and Howard is 24. The scary thing is they’re dominant in what they do now and they’ll continue to develop as they get older as long as they avoid major injuries. The deciding factor might be who can develop their “weakness” more than the other. Can Durant continue to improve on defense and rebounding and can Dwight improve his scoring output and do so in a variety of ways? That is a question for the future, the question for the now is: if you could take one to
start your franchise today, Who Ya Got?

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 04-26-2010 at 06:32 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote