Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-02-2004, 09:51 AM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eddy-Bull: Weight an issue for Curry again

Eddy-Bull: Weight an issue again

August 1, 2004
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bull...pt-bull011.html
BY LACY J. BANKS Staff Reporter Advertisement

Eddy Curry is not making things easy for Bulls operations chief John Paxson.

Paxson was hoping to sign Curry to a long-term extension, with the window for such negotiations opening today and closing on Oct. 31. Tyson Chandler also is eligible for an extension, but the Bulls had targeted Curry as the franchise cornerstone.

All Curry had to do to earn a possible six-year, $90 million extension was stay in peak condition during the offseason. But he's not even close.

''I'm sure that we will talk with Curry's and Chandler's agents, but I'm not sure where the talks will go,'' Paxson said. ''Tyson has been a model of consistency all summer. He has actually exceeded what we had hoped for.

''With Curry, he has chosen for the good part of the summer to go work with [personal trainer] Tim Grover. So we haven't been able to monitor him as closely as to the quality of his work. Tim has a good program, facility and reputation. But, ultimately, it's the effort the individual chooses to put into his conditioning whether at the Berto Center or Hoops [the Gym].''

One league source says the 6-11 Curry, hampered briefly by a mildly strained right hamstring, is 35 pounds over the 285-pound target weight the team has set for him. Curry appeared to be progressing earlier this summer when he was working with Grover. But he left Grover for a month and started working out at the Berto because he was rumored to be upset with Grover.

Two weeks ago, when Bulls coach Scott Skiles was asked how Curry looked, Skiles bowed his head and paused before answering with a grim face.

''I don't even want to comment on that right now,'' Skiles said.

Curry reported to camp out of shape last season, and the Bulls got off to a miserable start. When the season ended, Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf met privately with Curry and reiterated that the Bulls' future success rested largely on his shoulders. Curry came out of the meeting vowing to work harder.

''[Poor conditioning] definitely won't be the case this summer,'' Curry said recently. ''After a couple of weeks of rest, I'm going to go into the gym, work harder than I ever have and make sure I come to training camp in shape and ready to have my best season.

"I can't let the team down. The team is depending heavily upon me, and I have personal pride as a professional.''

But when Curry tipped the scales this week, he weighed 320 pounds. Now he's back with Grover and also working out at the Berto.

''We don't have much time, but we're going to try to make a whole lot of progress in a short period, and hopefully Eddy is dedicated to it,'' Grover said. ''If he does not get it in the next four weeks, it's not going to happen. It's a matter of focus, commitment and investing in yourself.''

Darren White, Curry's new agent, agrees.

''He took some time off to visit relatives and then he went on a cruise with his family,'' White said. ''But thank goodness there's plenty of time left.

''We have hired Patrick Huggins, a private chef who works with other NBA players like Michael Finley and Juwan Howard, to help Eddy with his diet. And Eddy is determined to work extremely hard in the next 60 days to get his body and his conditioning where they ought to be. He realizes that this is a contract year for him.''

If Curry is not signed to an extension, he'll become a restricted free agent next summer, and the Bulls would be able to match any offer he receives.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:52 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Eddy-Bull: Weight an issue for Curry again

Oliver Miller is his hero.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:42 AM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Eddy-Bull: Weight an issue for Curry again

Well, he'll be dealt for sure now. I remember reading Skiles tried to get rid of him and Chandler last season but it seems the only thing could be stopping Chandler from a breakout year is injuries while the only thing stopping Curry is his weight. He's dropped his trade value now.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:43 AM   #4
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
He's my hero too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Oliver Miller is his gyro?
Old 08-02-2004, 03:20 PM   #6
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I know that about a month ago the Mavs had discussions about him. Who knows if they went anywhere though? I don't even know if the Mavs would be quite as interested now. There's already a lot of guys at center and a lot of projects. I don't know that Curry has elevated himself above "project" that much even now.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 03:21 PM   #7
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

By the way, anyone else kind of disgusted by the qoute at the end of the article. "He knows this is a contract year for him." That guy scares me...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 04:13 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33
I know that about a month ago the Mavs had discussions about him. Who knows if they went anywhere though? I don't even know if the Mavs would be quite as interested now. There's already a lot of guys at center and a lot of projects. I don't know that Curry has elevated himself above "project" that much even now.
I'm not ready to take a shot at the Next Oliver Miller just yet. We have a collection of really nice projects at center. I'm not ready to take on an overweight one with a poor work ethic.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:17 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33
I'm not ready to take a shot at the Next Oliver Miller just yet. We have a collection of really nice projects at center. I'm not ready to take on an overweight one with a poor work ethic.

Yea, a bunch of projects who are good enough to be backup centers in this league according to Lil' Nellie.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:08 PM   #10
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

I think it'd be best for him if he stayed either really skinny or really fat. Nothing in between. You may wonder why it'd be great for him to be 400+ lbs... just watch Escalade on And1 Mixtape Tour. Then you'll know what I'm talking about. Think a 250 lb center is going to be able to stop 400 pounds barrelling full speed at him? I think not. Bring on the Fast Food Eddy!
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 12:20 AM   #11
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Kind of reminds me of Stanley Roberts. You remember, he actually split time with Shaq at C when they were at LSU. Talented beyond belief but just as stupid.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote