Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-22-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default breaking news minnesota lands Spreewell!

Ric Bucher reported the big deal.

Minnesota acquires spreewell
atlanta acquires terrel brandon
philly acquires: glen robinson
Ny acquires Keith Van Horn

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2003, 05:51 PM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

In a related note: Mavericks now fighting for 4th place in Western Conference.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:53 PM   #3
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: breaking news minnesota lands Spreewell!

Big whoop! The only team that benefits from this is philly. It's bad enough when Spreewell was upset about being moved up in the starting lineup, imagine how he'll feel when he's bumped out of the starting lineup.

And i know most of you would think that's a good think for Minnesota.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:54 PM   #4
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

God getting Spree for a health case, that is a steal

Atlanta giving up their second best player for that health case, makes me think George Karl is their GM.
Pretty good for Philly and NY.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:57 PM   #5
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Timberpups no more.

Our off-season continues to look worse and worse and worse vis-a-vis our competition...

Ugh.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:00 PM   #6
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

For the record, that is a starting lineup of:

Kandi at Center
Garnett at Power Forward
Wally at Small Forward
Spreewell at Shooting Guard
Sam Casell at Point Guard

Uhhhhhh.....

Sure, this team could fall apart. Casell is a headcase at times and Sprewell is...well, he's Sprewell. But on paper, a team that finished 4th in the west last year is, without question, significantly better at two of five positions than it was a year ago. Oh, and Dallas finished 3rd in the West.

Before you rip me on the small forward spot over who plays there (KG, Wally or the Spree), look at the heigths and rebounds of each player and the same conclusion will be reached.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:05 PM   #7
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

McChale is serious about getting talent around Garnett. McChale has addresses just about every weakness they had.

I wish Cuban was taking notes.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:13 PM   #8
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Dooby, you make good points, but Garnett will still be a SF b/c i don't think he could guard the Western Conference PFs that well, even though he is a good defender.

Here's Spree's stats for last season:

ppg-16.4
reb-3.9
ast-4.5
TOs-2.3
fts-.794
3pts-.372
fgs-.403
mins-38.6

Spreewell declined in every stat last year. It took him 38minutes to score 16ppg. His aging process has began.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:15 PM   #9
one long blue sock
Golden Member

What about Troy Hudson, didn't he prove something in the playoffs.

Even in the regular season, the only thing Cassell is in major advantage of Hudson is the points. And Cassell won't get nearly as many points when he is with Spree, Garnett, Wally, and Kandi.

And Hudson is only 27, he is still improving.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:20 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
For the record, that is a starting lineup of:

Kandi at Center
Garnett at Power Forward
Wally at Small Forward
Spreewell at Shooting Guard
Sam Casell at Point Guard

Uhhhhhh.....

Sure, this team could fall apart. Casell is a headcase at times and Sprewell is...well, he's Sprewell. But on paper, a team that finished 4th in the west last year is, without question, significantly better at two of five positions than it was a year ago. Oh, and Dallas finished 3rd in the West.

Before you rip me on the small forward spot over who plays there (KG, Wally or the Spree), look at the heigths and rebounds of each player and the same conclusion will be reached.

You didn't even name Troy Hudson. The Mavs are in trouble guys. I don't care what you guy say tha team right there has 5 people who can put up 20+ a night not including Kandi. Mavs must do a sign and trade now. How in the hell did the Wolves get Sprewell for nothing? All of the Mavs rumors were always listing Nick or Fin for him.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:21 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Mavs need to go ahead and start making some deals with the Hawks. Have they even gotten a GM or Coach yet? Get this team while they are down.

1996-2005
Old 07-22-2003, 06:26 PM   #12
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

FFM... why deal with the Hawks? There is nothing on the team that is worthwile.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:30 PM   #13
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Going by the ol' Mavs rule of 5 best guys on the court at crunch time, that is the lineup no matter what you say, although I concede an argument can be made for Hudson.

And yeah, every one can put up 20 a night. And yeah, not all of them will do it every night. But at least 2 of them will, sometimes 3 will, and rarely will one of them dip below 10.The temptation to doubleteam KG just got a little less palpatable. 4 guys and KG, this team is not. And lets be honest, that is all we thought this team was last couple of years.

Minnisota is better than it was in May. Those that deny it are either: (1) dumb; or (2) lying to themselves.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:40 PM   #14
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Spreewell declined in every stat last year. It took him 38minutes to score 16ppg. His aging process has began.
Yeah, and I hate everything about him. But he will provide the T-Wolves more than Joe Smith did last year, and he's a better contributor even in decline than Anthony Peeler or Gary Trent.

Spin it as fast as you want to, but the T'Wolves have more potential now than they have in 3 years. If Kandi can get his head on straight playing beside a superstar in KG, he can be a big contributor.

I still say the starting five is Hudson, Spree (now), Wally, KG and Kandi, with Casell off the bench.

Mavericks are atrophying with inaction.

Memo to Nellie: It's Miller time, big fella.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:56 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
FFM... why deal with the Hawks? There is nothing on the team that is worthwile.
They just literally gave away Glenn Robinsonf or nothing. I think Reef, Jterry, Ratliff and Mohammed. I think if we can get 2 or more of these guys it makes us become a deeper team. Now if Atlanta wants to give away Glenn Robinson they might end up giving away some of these guys because who ever is in charge doesn't know what they are doing.

1996-2005
Old 07-22-2003, 07:05 PM   #16
Bayliss

Quote:
They just literally gave away Glenn Robinsonf or nothing. I think Reef, Jterry, Ratliff and Mohammed. I think if we can get 2 or more of these guys it makes us become a deeper team. Now if Atlanta wants to give away Glenn Robinson they might end up giving away some of these guys because who ever is in charge doesn't know what they are doing.
There was a reason why they gave away Glenn Robinson. He is a twenty point scorer that does nothing else. He doesn't make his teammates better. In fact, when he scored the most points for Atlanta, they had a terrible winning percentage. When someone else scored the most, they had a decent winning percentage. Glenn Robinson is to small forwards what Jerry Stackhouse is to shooting guards.

Reef is a nice second fiddle but he shows no heart. And he is a worse rebounder than Raef. Can you believe that? He is a power forward that can't rebound. Don't we have enough of those?

Jason Terry is a nice tweener. But we don't need him. The only way he flourishes is if he shoots. And we don't need that on the Mavs. And then you have the dual point guard headache that we already have with Nash and NVE. No thanks.

Ratliff. Is he still in the league? He has been in more episodes of NBC's ER than he has games for the Hawks. No thanks.

Mohammed is intriging. But I don't think he is as tough of a player that we need.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:12 PM   #17
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Quote:
There was a reason why they gave away Glenn Robinson. He is a twenty point scorer that does nothing else. He doesn't make his teammates better. In fact, when he scored the most points for Atlanta, they had a terrible winning percentage. When someone else scored the most, they had a decent winning percentage. Glenn Robinson is to small forwards what Jerry Stackhouse is to shooting guards.

Reef is a nice second fiddle but he shows no heart. And he is a worse rebounder than Raef. Can you believe that? He is a power forward that can't rebound. Don't we have enough of those?

Jason Terry is a nice tweener. But we don't need him. The only way he flourishes is if he shoots. And we don't need that on the Mavs. And then you have the dual point guard headache that we already have with Nash and NVE. No thanks.

Ratliff. Is he still in the league? He has been in more episodes of NBC's ER than he has games for the Hawks. No thanks.

Mohammed is intriging. But I don't think he is as tough of a player that we need.

Well when I talk about the Hawks and there players I don't intend on trading one of the big 4 or even Raef or Bradley. However AJ has a contract ending soon and if they want contracts that are expiring than we need to look in sending AJ over there for maybe a Mohammed or a Terry. Last I checked Reef was a 3. I'm not positive so you may be right but if I remember correctly he was a 3 for the Grizz. I still like Reef though if I could get Reef and Mohammed for Nick I might just do it.

1996-2005
Old 07-22-2003, 07:12 PM   #18
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with the Mavs is that nobody who's realistically available (via signing or trading) is much of an upgrade or a need-filler.

I'm to the point where I just want the Mavs to concentrate on getting guys that are:

1. Interested in playing both ends of the floor.
2. Young.
3. Athletic.
4. 6-6 or taller.

..in that order. I've had it with blockbusters. They're not gonna happen for Dallas.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:25 PM   #19
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan
The problem with the Mavs is that nobody who's realistically available (via signing or trading) is much of an upgrade or a need-filler.

I'm to the point where I just want the Mavs to concentrate on getting guys that are:

2. Young.
3. Athletic.
4. 6-6 or taller.

..in that order. I've had it with blockbusters. They're not gonna happen for Dallas.

Your also not going to get young talent for old players. Its not like baseball where you can trade some proven older guys for some prospects. In the NBA contracts get involved and I just don't see teams trading younger guys for our three 30 year old players.

1996-2005
Old 07-22-2003, 07:28 PM   #20
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan

2. Young.
3. Athletic.
4. 6-6 or taller.

cough Artest cough cough
Old 07-22-2003, 07:33 PM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

damn. minnesota is obviously better now. sure, it could all fall apart. but look at what they've given up vs. what they have gotten. upgrades at every position, IMO.

as for the hawks, isn't this the last year on brandon's contract? that cap space could come in handy. plus they get rid of robinson.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:43 PM   #22
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Minny has been the king this off-season. They were the most active.

They will be better next year.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:28 PM   #23
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sadly, this was the first thing to pop into my head.

Minnesota just passed the Mavs. And I'm sure we'll hear from Cuban and Nelson how these trades are going to hurt these teams down the line. Blah, blah, blah.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:59 PM   #24
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Quote:
Sadly, this was the first thing to pop into my head.

Minnesota just passed the Mavs. And I'm sure we'll hear from Cuban and Nelson how these trades are going to hurt these teams down the line. Blah, blah, blah.
Common now. Just becaused we didn't do anything, but with the same team as last year, we definitely still can beat the newly wolves. Just remember that we still have two all stars. and two possible allstars in this team.
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:01 PM   #25
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Mavs are still better than the Wolves, despite a fantastic offseason by McHale so far. But the line of distinction between the two teams is not nearly so clear as it once was.

Old 07-23-2003, 12:13 AM   #26
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

the AP reported it's gonna be a 5 team deal, with probably the Kings being the 5 th team. reports say Marc Jackson is the only name being mentioned as another piece to complete a 5 team deal.

???
the Kings must of got bored, and decided to jump in
Old 07-23-2003, 12:41 AM   #27
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road

Now it is reporting that, Knicks wanted NVE for that. they werent interested at any others mavs has to offer. hell, i dont know if MAvs should have done it.
Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:50 AM   #28
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Lol......

The KNICKS weren't interested in what the MAVS had to offer?

Ouch. Ouch, ouch, ouch.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:50 AM   #29
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

I don't care where Sprewell goes. Well, I'd hate to see him in Dallas, but......

As soon as he's out of town, I can start thinking about being a NYK fan. Not before. Not until.

I hate to give Layden any credit for being more than an embecile, but he's finally had a good stroke of luck (Lampe) and he's finally starting to make some of the necessary moves to tilt the NYKs upright again (flinging Spree). Long way to go, of course, and he can screw it all up with the stroke of a pen, but this Sprewell thing is a big step in the right direction.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:56 AM   #30
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I guess 4th in the West is not bad...

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 08:00 AM   #31
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

.....although 5th places loses homecourt advantage.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:44 AM   #32
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now it is reporting that, Knicks wanted NVE for that. they werent interested at any others mavs has to offer. hell, i dont know if MAvs should have done it.
That's so sad. A very sad day when NY doesn't even want what we have. I wonder what we were offering?

The Kings are trying to get Kurt Thomas by giving the Knicks Keon Clark.