Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #161
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Harrington definite makes the roster even more interesting if he comes on board...I really wonder how they would balance the rotation. You can go different ways, depending on if Roddy starts at SG or not...
As Male29Dan said, there is a ton of congestion at the two guard spots and the small forward. Likely, someone would need to move. Its hard to get the minutes each player needs when you have Harrington, Marion, Butler, Kidd, Terry, Beaubois, and possibly Barea all factoring into the rotation.

My pick would be to remove JET. I don't know how that would happen, but it'd be my choice. It'd be dumb to say he doesn't bring anything to the table, because he did average 15 ppg last year, but that's all he really is. A volume shooter/scorer who occasionally can get some steals. That's all he is.

And let's not forget that Harrington still actually has to sign here. Certainly, he would prefer to get more than the MLE, and there are some teams out there who can overpay for him. He's been with bad teams the past few years, so maybe he's ready for a change, but even then he might be able to find a contender who has a starting role for him. I hope he signs, but there are some signs that would point to him going elsewhere.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #162
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Without a trade and without Roddy starting, this is what you are looking at:

Kidd/Roddy/JJB
Butler/Jet/Roddy/Jones
Marion/Harrington/Stevenson
Dirk/Harrington/Chandler
Haywood/Chandler/Prospects

One guy out of position and 3 guys coming off the bench expected to catch and release. Sigh, I sure hope something good happens by the deadline, because this team as currently constructed isn't going any further than it did last year.

Hopefully Caplan's "glass half-full" take is more the truth than MacMahon's "glass half-empty" approach, but I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. 30M in expirings is pretty cool to have though - that is 2 max contracts. I just wish we could flip them prior to the season starting (at least most of the expirings anyway).

Last edited by Male30Dan; 07-13-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #163
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Harrington definite makes the roster even more interesting if he comes on board...I really wonder how they would balance the rotation. You can go different ways, depending on if Roddy starts at SG or not...
Not trying to bag on you BG, just asking a question..

Why would Dallas start Roddy at the SG? I mean he is undersized and can't guard the Kobe, DWades, etc.

I am not ripping Roddy. It just seems to me that they are trying to train him up to start at PG allowing Kidd to keep his legs fresher this year.

Roddy, Butler, Marion, Dirk, Haywood is a pretty legit starting 5 against anyone. Kidd, Terry (as the shooter), Harrington, Chandler would be a savy next 4. If the rookie Jones, and the two project Bigs give them anything it is gravy. Stevenson as the defensive lock down guy against some of the big slashers.

Maybe Harrington and Marion switch places (which I think they should), but overall that is a pretty sound lineup, IMO.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #164
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
The Bobcats have a trade exception.
Even better would be if it were two trades. Damp for Chandler and Ajinca; then Charlotte waives Damp, and has enough cap room for us to trade them Carroll & Najera for a conditional 2nd round pick. That would give us a $7.1 MM trade exception.

I like the deal. Couldn't get what they wanted for Damp right now, so bank another expiring, who is much younger and could have some upside (but at worst is the same player as Damp). If Chandler becomes a stud, Haywood is trade bait; otherwise, Chandler is. Chandler + Stevenson + JJB + Butler all expiring, plus Terry not fully guaranteed for 2011. Lots of trade chips. Add in a TE and we're sitting even prettier. Meanwhile, we unload two very undesirable pieces that would have been obstacles to most trades.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #165
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Al Harrington: Nobel Prize for Stupidity

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...t_clipped.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ks_knic-2.html

Al Harrington is the kind of guy who loses you games (that's games, plural, not one, but TWO), by getting called for a technical foul for hanging on the rim and slapping the backboard at the end of the game. Twice in two months. Against the same team.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 07-13-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #166
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
You have seen correctly. He is an awful defender and doesn't care about defense. Like I said, he's also a notorious ballhog and ego case. That said, I'd take him because, quite frankly, our bench needs a guy that can and will score. Roddy, JJB, Terry, DeShawn, Ian, AA, Chandler. That bench has absolutely NO scoring from a 3, 4, or 5. So he could be beneficial.
Ego case doesn't generally bother me too much. He's older now and people tend to fit into this team.

He's definitely been a ball hog in the past and a volume shooter. But as _c pointed out, he's played several seasons for Carlisle in the past so I imagine he has signed off on the idea.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #167
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
Without a trade and without Roddy starting, this is what you are looking at:

Kidd/Roddy/JJB
Butler/Jet/Jones
Marion/Harrington/Stevenson
Dirk/Harrington/Chandler
Haywood/Chandler/Prospects

One guy out of position and 3 guys coming off the bench expected to catch and release. Sigh, I sure hope something good by the deadline, because this team as currently constructed isn't going any further than it did last year.

Hopefully Caplan's "glass half-full" take is more the truth than MacMahon's "glass half-empty" approach, but I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. 30M in expirings is pretty cool to have though - that is 2 max contracts. I just wish we could flip them prior to the season starting (at least most of the expirings anyway).
You don't think that's a solid lineup. Its better than the one last year and that one was the 2nd seed in the West, regardless of what they did in the postseason.

Harrington provides more scoring off the bench, coupled an improved Roddy who can create and score, and JET can still knock down the open shot from time to time.

I fully expect Butler to have a bounce back year, after losing a little weight and having the summer and training camp to incorporate to the team.

Haywood/Chandler plus two young guys who can be energy guys is a much better combo than Damp/Gooden that we were rolling out at the start of last year.

I'm definitely a glass half full guy, but I don't think this is just optimism. This team is better than they were, and have the strong hope of reinforcements at the trade deadline.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #168
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
Even better would be if it were two trades. Damp for Chandler and Ajinca; then Charlotte waives Damp, and has enough cap room for us to trade them Carroll & Najera for a conditional 2nd round pick. That would give us a $7.1 MM trade exception.

I like the deal. Couldn't get what they wanted for Damp right now, so bank another expiring, who is much younger and could have some upside (but at worst is the same player as Damp). If Chandler becomes a stud, Haywood is trade bait; otherwise, Chandler is. Chandler + Stevenson + JJB + Butler all expiring, plus Terry not fully guaranteed for 2011. Lots of trade chips. Add in a TE and we're sitting even prettier. Meanwhile, we unload two very undesirable pieces that would have been obstacles to most trades.
This is why I like this trade so much - we're extremely financially flexible right now.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #169
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Completely unrelated factoid: by my count Dallas is now sitting on over 34 million in expiring contracts (if you include the non-guaranteed portion of the last year of JET's deal).
Here we go, the Mavs are setting themselves up for the big FA year and clearing off space to attract the top guys...oh wait, didn't that just happen.

This has, no doubt been one of the most disappointing offseasons todate...

Many here, just might get there wish...I am so close to quitting the NBA as a fan and if so, I'll have to retire from this board...all we need is a few more lack luster moves by the Mavs and a few more conspiracy moves by the league...heck just one more will probably do it for me...

Probably the only thing keeping me vaguely interested is the possibility of a French guy or two succeeding in Dallas!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #170
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
You have seen correctly. He is an awful defender and doesn't care about defense. Like I said, he's also a notorious ballhog and ego case. That said, I'd take him because, quite frankly, our bench needs a guy that can and will score. Roddy, JJB, Terry, DeShawn, Ian, AA, Chandler. That bench has absolutely NO scoring from a 3, 4, or 5. So he could be beneficial.
I'm not going to say Ajinca is a scorer, but I read that he does has range out to the 3 point line and a solid righty jump hook. The places he needs to develop is as a man to man defender and as a rebounder.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #171
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post

Al Harrington is the kind of guy who loses you games (that's games, plural, not one, but TWO), by getting called for a technical foul for hanging on the rim and slapping the backboard at the end of the game. Twice in two months. Against the same team.
He's a bit of a headcase, but he provides scoring we desperately need. 18 ppg last year. That will certainly drop, but his shooting percentages should rise and he can be a go to guy when the bench is in for short stretches.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #172
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
Here we go, the Mavs are setting themselves up for the big FA year and clearing off space to attract the top guys...oh wait, didn't that just happen.
CARMELO!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #173
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Not trying to bag on you BG, just asking a question..

Why would Dallas start Roddy at the SG? I mean he is undersized and can't guard the Kobe, DWades, etc.

I am not ripping Roddy. It just seems to me that they are trying to train him up to start at PG allowing Kidd to keep his legs fresher this year.

Roddy, Butler, Marion, Dirk, Haywood is a pretty legit starting 5 against anyone. Kidd, Terry (as the shooter), Harrington, Chandler would be a savy next 4. If the rookie Jones, and the two project Bigs give them anything it is gravy. Stevenson as the defensive lock down guy against some of the big slashers.

Maybe Harrington and Marion switch places (which I think they should), but overall that is a pretty sound lineup, IMO.
Because Carlisle alluded to him being a starter:
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...y-b-as-starter

He's not going to start over Kidd, so that logically leaves SG. He played much better next to Kidd as opposed to Barea or Jet. It's not even a given Roddy would have to guard those players you mentioned, that's why we have Marion and even to an extend Kidd.

You could move Butler to the bench and get scoring punch.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #174
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
I'm not going to say Ajinca is a scorer, but I read that he does has range out to the 3 point line and a solid righty jump hook. The places he needs to develop is as a man to man defender and as a rebounder.
I don't think AA will get much PT honestly. He's probably behind Ian on the depth chart. He was very raw when he got occasional minutes with the Bobcats last year. I'd like to see what kind of offensive game Ian has though.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #175
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I'm depressed.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #176
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

haha. that's priceless. thanks for that.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #177
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yeah, but those are the Knicks. Donnie and Cuban won't put up with that kind of crap here.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #178
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't think AA will get much PT honestly. He's probably behind Ian on the depth chart. He was very raw when he got occasional minutes with the Bobcats last year. I'd like to see what kind of offensive game Ian has though.
I agree with you, I think Mahinmi is more polished and more likely to play in an energy, Ryan Hollins-like role. I'm just saying that Ajinca does possess some offense if he ever did get minutes, at least according to draft express.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #179
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree with you, I think Mahinmi is more polished and more likely to play in an energy, Ryan Hollins-like role. I'm just saying that Ajinca does possess some offense if he ever did get minutes, at least according to draft express.
He's been playing in summer league for the Cats this year, I will have to go check out his stats.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #180
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

great. after all the talk of impact players and big splashes and preparing for championships, the DUST chip is traded for: savings.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #181
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Because Carlisle alluded to him being a starter:
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...y-b-as-starter

He's not going to start over Kidd, so that logically leaves SG. He played much better next to Kidd as opposed to Barea or Jet. It's not even a given Roddy would have to guard those players you mentioned, that's why we have Marion and even to an extend Kidd.

You could move Butler to the bench and get scoring punch.
I am not sure why Kidd can't go to the bench. Kidd alluded to it this summer.
The article talks out of both sides of the writers mouth -- a Kidd, Roddy backcourt then says, "Beaubois will focus primarily on developing as a point guard this offseason"

If he develops as the point guard...ala Devin Harris -- then Kidd can keep his legs fresh for playoff time. If Roddy starts at the SG he is highly undersized for guarding the slashing SG's, and Kidd can't keep up with them anymore.

IMO, Dallas is better off trying to keep Roddy in front of the quick PG's that are on fresh legs early in the game, instead of Kidd trying to keep up with them. It should improve the D and possibly improve the O as well, since they should start the game establishing Dirk, and the options that are available like Roddy isolation, and hopefully Harrington/Marion on the low blocks.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #182
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I'm sick inside. Maybe I overrated the dust chip. I thought Chandler could've been had for just about anything. HE's not healthy. He's overpaid.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #183
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
I am not sure why Kidd can't go to the bench. Kidd alluded to it this summer.
The article talks out of both sides of the writers mouth -- a Kidd, Roddy backcourt then says, "Beaubois will focus primarily on developing as a point guard this offseason"

If he develops as the point guard...ala Devin Harris -- then Kidd can keep his legs fresh for playoff time. If Roddy starts at the SG he is highly undersized for guarding the slashing SG's, and Kidd can't keep up with them anymore.

IMO, Dallas is better off trying to keep Roddy in front of the quick PG's that are on fresh legs early in the game, instead of Kidd trying to keep up with them. It should improve the D and possibly improve the O as well, since they should start the game establishing Dirk, and the options that are available like Roddy isolation, and hopefully Harrington/Marion on the low blocks.
Judging by the summer league games, he's not ready to be a PG.
He can easily play SG and still play in front of those PGs like you want and Kidd and Marion can take the bigger assignment.

Kidd only alluded to coming off the bench some of the time, not all the time.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #184
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I'm sick inside. Maybe I overrated the dust chip. I thought Chandler could've been had for just about anything. HE's not healthy. He's overpaid.
Are you Mike Fisher?

We traded one chip for another and unloaded some bad contracts - we lived to fight another day and could amass ~$30mil in assets when all is said & done...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #185
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Matt Barnes and Rasual Butler were both horrible from 3pt. range last year.
Barnes can really defend though, and would give us 2 very good perimeter defenders
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #186
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

jamyoa likes the trade. for whatever that is worth...
Old 07-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #187
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Barnes can really defend though, and would give us 2 very good perimeter defenders
i really like Barnes and have been wanting the Mavs to sign him for the last 3 offseasons. i was just pointing out in relation to someone's post above that he shot like 31%from 3 last year.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #188
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Are you Mike Fisher?

We traded one chip for another and unloaded some bad contracts - we lived to fight another day and could amass ~$30mil in assets when all is said & done...
I don't know when Dirk decided to re-sign with us I thought it was because the front office promised him immediate upgrade. I thought that was why he re-signed with us so fast.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #189
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't know when Dirk decided to re-sign with us I thought it was because the front office promised him immediate upgrade. I thought that was why he re-signed with us so fast.
still hammering away with this?

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #190
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

badass trade.i love it. we are defiantely better than last year..
no more matt carrol and damp..whats not to love about this?? lol
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #191
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Judging by the summer league games, he's not ready to be a PG.
He can easily play SG and still play in front of those PGs like you want and Kidd and Marion can take the bigger assignment.

Kidd only alluded to coming off the bench some of the time, not all the time.
I agree 100%. AS of right now he just isn't ready. I hope like hell he develops into one but you could see the difference just between he and Lin. Roddy doesn't seem value each and every possession like he should being a PG. Not a lot of leadership either, maybe some of that is due to the language barrier. He has skills and talent but right now it's not honed to the PG position.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #192
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
actually no, Dirk said that pretty much only Wade and Lebron we should go after and if we get neither we need to be patient, cause there is a 4 year window
Old 07-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #193
Jon Avalon
Platinum Member

Jon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to all

Hmmmm so we are getting a 6.8 mil Trade exception in this deal. If i'm reading trollinger's report correctly.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #194
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
we lived to fight another day and could amass ~$30mil in assets when all is said & done...
This is the obvious play here...one BIG move coming at the deadline or multiple big-ish moves.

The big negative about this deal is that it is crossing its fingers hoping that locker room chemistry can be obtained at the deadline....and as we saw this past deadline, that is no guarantee.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #195
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I agree 100%. AS of right now he just isn't ready. I hope like hell he develops into one but you could see the difference just between he and Lin. Roddy doesn't seem value each and every possession like he should being a PG. Not a lot of leadership either, maybe some of that is due to the language barrier. He has skills and talent but right now it's not honed to the PG position.
The thing is though, he is a very talented 2 right now, why force him to play a position that he isn't comfortable at?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #196
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
actually no, Dirk said that pretty much only Wade and Lebron we should go after and if we get neither we need to be patient, cause there is a 4 year window
And a week later we trade the dust chip for Chandler? Am I missing something here?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #197
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You don't think that's a solid lineup. Its better than the one last year and that one was the 2nd seed in the West, regardless of what they did in the postseason.

Harrington provides more scoring off the bench, coupled an improved Roddy who can create and score, and JET can still knock down the open shot from time to time.

I fully expect Butler to have a bounce back year, after losing a little weight and having the summer and training camp to incorporate to the team.

Haywood/Chandler plus two young guys who can be energy guys is a much better combo than Damp/Gooden that we were rolling out at the start of last year.

I'm definitely a glass half full guy, but I don't think this is just optimism. This team is better than they were, and have the strong hope of reinforcements at the trade deadline.
Not so much - because the one person that could probably help us the most from last year to this year is still getting very little playing time in this logjam (Roddy).

Basically, you are looking at the exact same team except you have added Tyson Chandler in place of Dampier and you have added Al Harrington. Those look like positive moves, and normally would be, but one guy looks to just be trade fodder (though athletic trade fodder that will help us for the first half) and the other is a backup. Or Marion is the backup and you start Al and Caron. Or Marion and Caron is the backup and you start Roddy and Al. Or.................

This team has no structure right now. Just a lot of bodies. Our current Mavs team is the equivalent of trying to turn 2 Bs into an A.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #198
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
And a week later we trade the dust chip for Chandler? Am I missing something here?
We get a roster upgrade and a valuable contract
Old 07-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #199
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

This current set of players will certainly put to test Carlisle's weakness at developing a set line up...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #200
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
This is the obvious play here...one BIG move coming at the deadline or multiple big-ish moves.

The big negative about this deal is that it is crossing its fingers hoping that locker room chemistry can be obtained at the deadline....and as we saw this past deadline, that is no guarantee.
This is what disturbs me. This is basically another year we're throwing way. I feel the league is wide open. Yea i'm not sold on the Heat even though I should be but in my eyes the league is wide open.

And if we're banking on another trade at the deadline? At what point is enough enough? We've done this every year for the past couple of seasons. Its just rare for a team to make a trade and gain that chemistry it takes to win a championship. I know the Pistons did it with Sheed. And I can't remember if the Rockets got Drexler at midseason but aside from those two I can't remember the last time a team traded at midseason and had enough chemistry to win a ring.