Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-16-2001, 04:08 PM   #41
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

my only thing is that i don't think the mavs can make it any further with juwan starting at that spot. the mavericks will be too soft inside.
if the mavs make a trade or sign a good defender down low, then he has to play, and he has to start against certain teams.
i would be pissed also having a backup making what he makes, but if it has to happen, it has to happen
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2001, 04:24 PM   #42
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

Think of the progress that Bradley made this year compared to last. Didnt he go to some big man school in the off season. Maybe Juwan should try that out. He has gotten into some bad habits while with Washington. I mean he was a stud at Michigan, and even in his 1st year in the Pros. But he really hasnt "developed" his game much... he hasnt grown. It could be that being stuck with the whinners in Wash, he started to "not care". Thus his skills started diminishing. Juwan is a solid player, and if he does some off season work, he could develop into the player we need. I think everyone on this team could use some "tweaking" of their skills. Dirk... getting a better inside game. Fin developing his ball handling skills, etc. Some need more than others, but they are all pretty young, and provided they work on things this off season and don't get comfortable, they have a shot next year. I'm not sure the current team we have can't win a championship with a little work.
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 05:15 PM   #43
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Personally I think Juwan is better as a number 2 option. Think about his success it was always when he was second fiddle in the post. At Michigan, people focused on Webber so he was able to do his thing. Think about in Washington, he was successful ONLY while Webber was there. Once Webber left, everything went down because he became the focus. He's not ready for that. He's not comfortable being the fourth option, but he's probably fine being the second option. However he's not going to be on this team at all.

No disrespect to him, but as the fourth option he should be able to get his own points (hustle, rebounding, etc.) and that's not his style. I think if we can find someone to take his salary, we should get rid of him. Maybe we can get a third team involved and do a three team trade after Webber signs and gets traded out of Sacramento.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:40 PM   #44
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

I say give Juwan some time.
Halfway through next season we´ll see how he deals with being third or fourth option. Perhaps he comes along and is able to solidify his game. If he raises his rebounding effort that would definitly help the team. He could also get some points through offensive rebounding and wouldn´t have to settle for midrange jumpers so often. He just needs to be more aggressive on the boards. That would definitly help his overall perfomance (also he must work on defense but so must the Mavs as a team).
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 05:42 PM   #45
TheKid
Diamond Member

I just can't see him as being a rebounder though. He has limited mobility, he has a VERY average jumping ability. I don't know. I hope he can get it together, it would be very nice for us. However I just can't see him ever being a MAJOR factor on the offensive boards.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:45 PM   #46
TheKid
Diamond Member

SENIOR MEMBER BABY!!!!!
Old 05-16-2001, 05:45 PM   #47
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

And what you mentioned Kid,
yes the hustle play is not his style. But I think to some degree that´s a mental problem. The staff has to tell him that he can´t keep up his old ways, because then he is of not much use for the Mavs.
Also I don´t think there is any way we could trade Juwan, perhaps next year, to a team that wants to clear cap space in 2003, but I guess that´s exactly Nellies plan to use Howards slot than if it doesn´t work with him.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:49 PM   #48
TheKid
Diamond Member

Personally that's why I thought for a while they kept feeding him because they wanted him to show his ability, so that he could raise his trade value. However if that was the philosophy it didn't work, because he did NOTHING of the sort. Don't get me wrong, I hope he works out for us, but what we need and what his strengths are just don't seem to go together. His strong suit is scoring, we don't need that.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:59 PM   #49
Fidel
Diamond Member

Yep,
so if we could get us a banger, Howard would be coming of the bench as a scoring spark. I think he would be real good for that.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:06 PM   #50
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Trading Bradley for a quality inside presence? Isn't that a little like trading Eisley for a backup point guard who doesn't push the ball, or trading Wang for an incredibly raw seven-footer with a nice jumpshot?
Old 05-16-2001, 06:52 PM   #51
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Exactly Mavinator. What exactly does Antonio Davis bring to the Mavs that we don't already have in Bradley? Soring ability? The Mavs have enough scorers.. and who says that Davis is a great offensive weapon in the first place? Bradley is a better shot-blocker, and arguably a better rebounder. This trade would actually make the Mavs worse down low.

Now if you want to talk about Juwon Howard for Davis, I might be listening. A big reason Duncan and Robinson walked all over the Mavs in this series was because Howard can't play a lick of low post D. Think of A. Davis and Bradley teamed up defensively down low. Now THATS scary.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 06:55 PM   #52
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

A Davis-Bradley tandem down low might be one of the top-five defensive frontlines in the history of the NBA...
Old 05-16-2001, 07:24 PM   #53
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it matters what Juwan's salary is - 6th man or 12th man. Cuban's writing the checks not me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 08:06 PM   #54
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

I dont know about top 5 all time, but it would be nice... and having Booth backing them both up...

yes... I can dream about that.
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 08:46 AM   #55
TheKid
Diamond Member

that would be a nice tandem, but Booth or Bradley would have to go. Toronto wouldn't give up Davis for Juwan. No way, if they would, then they're crazy, but I would take that in a HEART BEAT!

Mavinator, trust me, I think Bradley gives us a lot, he restored my faith in him during the playoffs. However it's still drastically clear he can not play more than 25 or 30 minutes. When he's not in, we suck on the boards and people come into the lane like we rolled the red carpet out for them. Getting someone physical would sort of neutralize that.
Old 05-17-2001, 09:06 AM   #56
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly what davis brings to the table that bradley doesn't: Strength.

Davis can bang with the big boys, but unlike players brought in specifically to foul shaq, he can score and rebound. he's a physical player.

but i'm not saying trade bradley for davis.

i still think we should go with wang, eisley, and trent for davis and childs.
Old 05-17-2001, 09:09 AM   #57
TheKid
Diamond Member

If Toronto would take that, we would WIN EASILY in that situation. From watching that game lastnight, they're going to want to get rid of Childs at the end of the year watch.
Old 05-17-2001, 09:11 AM   #58
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

maybe if we could somehow pawn juwan off on them in that deal, too, and they throw in jerome williams.

hell, i'll even take montross again if it gets rid of juwan. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

on that note, is there anyone on this board who has juwan as a favorite player, or at least likes juwan?
Old 05-17-2001, 09:32 AM   #59
Mavinator
Golden Member

Antonio Davis is an undersized PF-C with some very limited offensive game, a decent defensive rebounder, awesome offensive rebounder, and good individual defender. He is also getting up there in years, and will almost certainly be leaving Toronto this offseason by free agency if not by trade. Juwan Howard is an undersized PF who really is a pure and capable low-post scorer, despite his troubles against Duncan and Malone, who rebounds decently (very well when he concentrates) and can run the floor well. He is also a hard worker and a great guy, and perhaps most importantly, he is locked in for several more years. Y'all don't think Toronto would trade Davis for Juwan? I guess there's always the salary issue, though...
Old 05-17-2001, 09:33 AM   #60
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

that salary issue is HUGE. it wasn't to cuban, but well, he's cuban.
Old 05-17-2001, 11:05 AM   #61
TheKid
Diamond Member

I think to compensate for salary, they would have to trade Montross and Davis for Juwan and that won't happen. From a salary standpoint, I think, Davis, Montross, Childs would work for Juwan and possibly Wang.
Old 05-17-2001, 04:58 PM   #62
TheKid
Diamond Member

Does anyone think Derek Harper would come out of retirement and be our backup point guard???
Old 05-17-2001, 05:00 PM   #63
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Uhmmmm no [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 06:48 PM   #64
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

He might be better than Eisley [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2001, 08:36 AM   #65
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

assessment of juwan howard
good inside scorer, poor passing abilities/poor decision making when double teamed, no defensive abilities, poor rebounder for a power forward, maybe a good guy, pretty good at running the break.
he not only struggled against malone and duncan, he struggled defensively against anyone he guarded since he's been a mav. it's not something he's just going to pick up, he's just simply not a good enough of an athlete, poor quickness to play anyone defensively, poor jumping ability.
Old 05-20-2001, 03:55 AM   #66
scooterj5
Golden Member

That's quite harsh
Old 05-20-2001, 08:48 AM   #67
Murphy3
Guru

it's harsh, but true
Old 05-21-2001, 08:58 AM   #68
TheKid
Diamond Member

A brutal assesment but closer to the truth than not.
Old 05-29-2001, 10:51 PM   #69
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a good article about the possible effect of the zone defense.

MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 03:06 AM   #70
scooterj5
Golden Member

I think the zone will mean more outside shooting and less banging inside, which should help Dallas, because of Nash, Dirk, Fin.