Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-23-2001, 08:44 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The Cavs are convinced that Harris will probably turn down the head coaching job. YES!

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0520/1201890.html
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2001, 11:28 PM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say Im surprised, I thought he would of taken it. Even though it would of been hard to turn the club around.

Im glad he's staying, I think he brings a lot to the team. Let's hope no one else tries to lure him away.
Old 05-24-2001, 09:07 AM   #3
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

He just knows thats an organization that's going NO WHERE in the near future.
Old 05-24-2001, 09:20 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

you never know kid, that's exactly what dallas looked like about 18-20 months ago. an organization that was seemingly going nowhere
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 09:36 AM   #5
TheKid
Diamond Member

I don't know if I agree with that. Dallas had a very good second half of the season two years ago. They rallied to almost finish .500 right? Cleveland actually was looking OK two years ago when Kemp played himself into shape there. They had Brevin Knight, Derek Anderson. It seems they've done nothing but gone down hill since.

Maybe they could turn it around, but I just don't see it.
Old 05-24-2001, 09:39 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, but 20 months ago or so, there wasn't any reason to think the mavs were going to turn it around, was there?
Old 05-24-2001, 09:57 AM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

point taken.
Old 05-25-2001, 01:02 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

and i agree to an extent with what you're saying, cleveland just doesn't look like they have too much of an immediate future to look forward to.
Old 05-25-2001, 03:33 PM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

20 months ago the Mavs had an owner who was more concerned with the arena than the team. The Mavs didn't had an owner who cared for years.
Old 05-25-2001, 03:45 PM   #10
TheKid
Diamond Member

That's why he sold the team and thank god he did.
Old 05-25-2001, 03:49 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

Actually he only sold the team because cuban paid double its value at the time.
Old 05-25-2001, 03:59 PM   #12
TheKid
Diamond Member

Regardless he sold it.
Old 05-25-2001, 04:09 PM   #13
MFFL
Guru

Thank God for Cuban having the money to overpay for the team. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2001, 07:52 PM   #14
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

yeah, but 20 months ago or so, there wasn't any reason to think the mavs were going to turn it around, was there?

Well I thought we would do well after the strong finish to 98-99, and having Finley/Dirk gave us good hope.
Old 05-26-2001, 09:13 AM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

about 1/3-1/2 of the way through 99-00 is what i'm talking about. it just didn't look good for the mavs at all. nothing seemed to be clicking, but it all fell in to place.
i guess that wasn't quite 18-20 months ago, but, close enough
Old 05-26-2001, 06:29 PM   #16
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

What about Dirk's coming out party in 99-00???
Old 05-26-2001, 10:02 PM   #17
MFFL
Guru

Maybe I spoke too soon. Harris is going to think it over during the holiday and get back to the Cavs. The major sticking point is compensation. Harris is asking 3 mil and the Cavs are offering 2 mil.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0524/1204356.html
Old 05-27-2001, 10:50 AM   #18
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

You know coaching vacancies usually arent there unless the team sucks. Even Portland has its problems. So if Harris wants a coaching job, he isn't going to be taking over for the Mavs, Lakers, or Spurs anytime soon. He will have to go somewhere and rebuild a little bit. Like I said, even with all the talent that Portland has, they are in trouble too.
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 08:26 AM   #19
MFFL
Guru

The Cavs are hoping to land Harris very soon. Read the story here

Old 05-30-2001, 08:27 AM   #20
MFFL
Guru

YES! I finally got a link to work!
Old 05-30-2001, 01:03 PM   #21
BMF

BMF is on a distinguished road

KTCK is reporting Harris has turned down the Cleveland proposal.
BMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 04:21 PM   #22
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Harris will not coach Cavs next season

CLEVELAND -- Del Harris withdrew as a candidate to coach the Cleveland Cavaliers, saying Wednesday he prefers to remain a Dallas Mavericks assistant.

Harris had been considered the front-runner to become the next coach of the Cavaliers, who fired Randy Wittman last month.

Now Cleveland is expected to focus on Denver assistant John Lucas and Fordham coach Bob Hill.

"Over the last several days I have had numerous contacts with the Cleveland Cavaliers relative to their coaching position," Harris said in a statement released by the Mavericks.

"However, at this time, I feel it is better for me to withdraw from consideration from this very important job, instead opting to stay in Dallas to see if we can add to what we started here with the Mavericks."

Harris has a 556-447 record in 14 seasons as an NBA head coach with Houston, Milwaukee and the Los Angeles Lakers. He was coach of the year in 1995 when he led the Lakers to a 48-34 record.

Link: Harris will not coach Cavs next season
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 04:22 PM   #23
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Harris officially withdraws.

Harris staying

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 04:23 PM   #24
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Damn you DJ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 04:23 PM   #25
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 11:30 PM   #26
MFFL
Guru

A great coach has decided to stay. I am very pleased that Nellie's friend and chief aide will be back next year.