Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold
Default Congressman calls Stern to office for hearing?

Congressman requests meeting with David Stern about NBA referee scandal, may call hearing

July 26, 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The chairman of a House subcommittee is requesting a meeting with NBA commissioner David Stern concerning the betting scandal involving former referee Tim Donaghy.

Rep. Bobby Rush, who heads the Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and Consumer Protection, said he is also considering calling a hearing on the matter "should the facts warrant public scrutiny."

"If the allegations prove true, this could be one of the most damaging scandals in the history of American sports," the Illinois Democrat wrote in a letter sent to Stern on Wednesday and released to the press on Thursday.

Donaghy is the target of an FBI investigation for allegedly betting on games, including some he officiated, over the last two seasons. He resigned July 9.

Rush wrote that he appreciated the need for the league to conduct its own investigation and that he would like to meet with Stern at "the earliest appropriate time."

"Unfortunately, fairly or not, the NBA, more than any other professional sport, has been consistently dogged with allegations that league referees needlessly affect the outcomes of games by making bad calls," Rush wrote.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

that's all they do anyway, might as well. Maybe they could appoint a special procesutor?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
that's all they do anyway, might as well. Maybe they could appoint a special procesutor?
I really think this is going to be different, because as you read that last statement of the press release, this has been on the radar for some time. For a congrssman to make that kind of statement is something to think about..I think what got his interest is the Bulls/GS game where Tim may have cost the Bulls the 2nd seed.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Didn't that game also get GS In the playoffs? So Donaghy DID screw the Mavs! In a very round about way.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Stern sucks, plain and simple. He should do the last honorable thing and retire. Since all he does is patronize and fine people for pointing out the errors with the refs, what will he do now??

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
jmwilliamson

jmwilliamson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
I really think this is going to be different, because as you read that last statement of the press release, this has been on the radar for some time. For a congrssman to make that kind of statement is something to think about..I think what got his interest is the Bulls/GS game where Tim may have cost the Bulls the 2nd seed.
It's really not anything to think about and that's exactly why they probably will hold a hearing on it. There are a million things they could be doing that are infinitely more important than whether or not the NBA has a crooked ref or two. Most of those things, however, won't get the name of that congressman in the papers or on television. So they'll hold a hearing on this when they should be focusing on things that truly matter. It makes me sick.

I love NBA basketball, but when it really comes down to it, the whole league could disappear and it doesn't actually matter. It's just entertainment. They need to stick to business like health care, making sure our troops get everything they need to succeed (or a way to get the hell out of that war), the poor state of education, and on and on and on. But a crooked ref makes for some headlines and name recognition gets votes.

I apologize for my rant.

Last edited by jmwilliamson; 07-26-2007 at 05:23 PM.
jmwilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
She_Growls
Golden Member

She_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to all

I am all for it. As a consumer, I sent a email to the NBA and the NBPA requesting a refund if Donaghy is in fact guilty of these allegations. I am sure several fans have done the same. I didn't pay for tickets, subscribe to NBA League Pass and NBA TV for a freaking fraudulent product sold to me by David Stern and his cronies. I want my damn money back period! So, I welcome an investigation by Rep. Bobby Rush, who heads the Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and CONSUMER PROTECTION...I for one, am glad to see somebody doing their freaking job...David Stern needs to hand in his resignation. I can't wait to see him squirm.

Last edited by She_Growls; 07-26-2007 at 08:25 PM.
She_Growls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

I agree with you guys. I never thought this would or possibly could happen and i was wrong, it has happened. This is very bad and will last two years have an * by it? This is when we was good and almost getting a title one of the years. This is sad a ref could do this and has, plus the ref profitted by it and didn't care who he stepped on.

They need to do something about this as this could tarnish the nba and basketball.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #9
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janett_Reno
I agree with you guys. I never thought this would or possibly could happen and i was wrong, it has happened. This is very bad and will last two years have an * by it? This is when we was good and almost getting a title one of the years. This is sad a ref could do this and has, plus the ref profitted by it and didn't care who he stepped on.

They need to do something about this as this could tarnish the nba and basketball.
This statement says it all about the NBA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush
"Unfortunately, fairly or not, the NBA, more than any other professional sport, has been consistently dogged with allegations that league referees needlessly affect the outcomes of games by making bad calls," Rush wrote. .
Old 07-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilliamson
It's really not anything to think about and that's exactly why they probably will hold a hearing on it. There are a million things they could be doing that are infinitely more important than whether or not the NBA has a crooked ref or two. Most of those things, however, won't get the name of that congressman in the papers or on television. So they'll hold a hearing on this when they should be focusing on things that truly matter. It makes me sick.

I love NBA basketball, but when it really comes down to it, the whole league could disappear and it doesn't actually matter. It's just entertainment. They need to stick to business like health care, making sure our troops get everything they need to succeed (or a way to get the hell out of that war), the poor state of education, and on and on and on. But a crooked ref makes for some headlines and name recognition gets votes.

I apologize for my rant.
A damn good rant. This congress may go down as the congress that does the least but has more hearings, subpoenas, investigations in history.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #11
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

I wonder if Stern will fine congress?
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler
I wonder if Stern will fine congress?
That would be rich. Maybe cubes can get them to subpoena him so he can finally let it all hang out without getting fined. Hmm...maybe I should email him....