Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all
Default An earlier case of mafia involvement in the NBA

According to reports, Tim Donaghy was working with (and threatened by) members of the Gambino crime family. The story reminded me of a recent case (2001) against the mob in which it was alleged that mafia-involved strip club owners were having their dancers sleep with NBA players and then blackmail the players by threatening to go to their wives and families with evidence. Patrick Ewing testified in the case that he was encouraged to engage in sex acts with dancers on two occasions. I looked up the story and, sure enough, it was the Gambinos again. Here is part of ESPN’s report:

“Prosecutors say Kaplan used the lure of sex to attract professional athletes and celebrities while cheating customers to funnel cash to New York's Gambino crime family. He and six others are charged with obstruction of justice, credit card fraud, loan sharking and other charges. The trial began with jury selection in late April.”

Link

I’m bringing this up because of the parallels to the Donaghy case. Donaghy was apparently coerced into involvement with the mob after piling up gambling debts. I think the league and the FBI should revisit this case to make sure that the mob did not make or attempt to make similar arrangements with NBA players, execs, or refs that attended their strip-clubs.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I haven't kept up the mob lately. I thought the Gambino's had pretty much ended with John Gotti. Guess not.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

good work.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote