Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-18-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Cowboys Agree To Terms With Fifth-Round Pick

link

IRVING, Texas - Signing a draft pick a full week before the team departs for training camp might not be that early for some teams, but it's rather unusual for the Cowboys, who normally wait until the last few days to ink all of their rookies under contract.

But the Cowboys got an early jump on the process, agreeing to terms Thursday with fifth-round draft pick Orlando Scandrick, a cornerback from Boise State.

Scandrick is expected to sign his four-year, $1.85 million deal on Friday, that includes a $185,000 signing bonus.

The speedy cornerback joins a crowded position that includes returning starters Terence Newman and Anthony Henry, not to mention newly-acquired Adam Jones and first-round pick Mike Jenkins.

With his top-rate speed, Scandrick might be in position to contribute right away on special teams, seeing that the Cowboys lost several key coverage players last year in Keith Davis, Nate Jones and Jacques Reeves, who all signed with other clubs in free agency.

With a relatively small draft class of only six players, the Cowboys now are down to just five players left to sign, although two are first-round draft picks.

However, the Cowboys do have one advantage in signing both running back Felix Jones (22nd overall) and Jenkins (25th) in that they both have the same agent in Eugene Parker.

Other draft picks left to sign include second-round tight end Martellus Bennett, fourth-round running Tashard Choice and outside linebacker Erik Walden, who was selected in the sixth round.

The Cowboys' team charter leaves for Oxnard, Calif. on Thursday, July 24 with the first practice slated for the following day. The team will conduct its first two-a-day practice session on Saturday, July 26.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

TO on the ESPYs

...also, TO is a freakin hero.

Quote:
SOURCE

A night of unexpected heroes at '08 ESPYS

LOS ANGELES -- It was just after 2 a.m. Thursday when I exited an ESPYS after-party somewhere in some uncharted section of downtown L.A., hailed a cab and stepped off the curb. After that, things got fuzzy.

I remember a shout, screeching tires and the glare of fast approaching headlights. I got just enough warning to leap over the hard-charging Honda Civic's front fender and into the windshield, shoulder first.

So, this is what getting hit by a car feels like.

When I came to, I was on the sidewalk, my shoulder hurting like crazy, shards of glass in my forearm and blood dripping from my fingers, while limo drivers and other witnesses screamed this way and that. The paramedics told me I was lucky to be alive ("Last time I saw a windshield like that," said one, "guy lost both his legs"), and all I could think was, "Damn! I just bought this Banana Republic tie-and-shirt ensemble!"

That, and "Holy crap, that's T.O.!"

Terrell Owens was standing over me. I'm told he was the first do-gooder on the scene of the accident. That he helped me to my feet and off the street to safe ground. That he didn't leave my side. It seems the mercurial Dallas Cowboys receiver is my hero. But my hero looks scared, and this scares me.

"Wow, you all right, man?" Owens kept asking me, but in a manner that would suggest there is no possible way that I, in fact, could be all right. "Don't move. Just sit there. Breathe. Don't move."

It's now that I noticed the car's jacked windshield, which sports a hole the size of, well, my upper torso.

Yikes, I did that?

"That was crazy. Crazy," Owens confirmed. "You all right, man?

I'm fine, nothing to worry about, but Owens is so concerned, so kind, and I'm so touched by this -- we hardly know each other -- that I think my lip is quivering. There's a good chance I could break down like T.O. at that news conference. (It's just not fair. That's my receiver, man.)

This is embarrassing. The crowd grew to include friends, like Page 2 columnist LZ Granderson, and strangers (one vagrant offered to wipe the blood from my arms with his shirt; another asked me for change). Through it all, T.O. stuck by my side! I mean, it was ESPYS night, people! A hot party was raging in a building not 20 feet away, and another one, Justin Timberlake's late-nighter, would soon kick off at a hotel nearby, and yet one of the biggest names in sports was spending his night curbside with me?

"So, T.O. was nice, huh?" says the medic who took my blood pressure inside the ambulance. "Boy, you think you know somebody, but the media doesn't tell you the whole story. You never know how they really are."

Guilty as charged.

When the medics were done with the paperwork (note: patient has lacerations, bruised knee, stained shorts, etc.) I headed back to the street to deal with the police, meet the driver and thank my hero … but T.O. was gone. He didn't care to wait for the cameras, the spotlight, the attention. Didn't need to hear my thanks. He simply vanished into the dark night, alone (well, with his bodyguard, also a nice man) like a samurai, his work complete.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 07-21-2008 at 01:09 AM.
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

After watching The Dark Night this weekend... it just gets you wondering doesn't it?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 07-21-2008 at 05:14 AM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
After watching The Dark Night this weekend... it just gets you wondering doesn't it?
"It's not who you are on the inside, but what you do that matters."

You may be on to something, Alby!

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When the medics were done with the paperwork (note: patient has lacerations, bruised knee, stained shorts, etc.) I headed back to the street to deal with the police, meet the driver and thank my hero … but T.O. was gone. He didn't care to wait for the cameras, the spotlight, the attention. Didn't need to hear my thanks. He simply vanished into the dark night, alone (well, with his bodyguard, also a nice man) like a samurai, his work complete.
The guy doesn't have all night to tend to someone who was dumb enough to get hit by a car. There was probably ice melting in his drink somewhere.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I am so ready for some Football. Even preseason Football sounds so interesting right now.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

we've come to find out that one of our new hires has a checkered past. he's a really smart guy, and really talented, and hence we've nick-named him "our little Pacman Jones"....

I'm ready for some football.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

the official website has been updated

http://www.dallascowboys.com/

looks very clean.

Contact Me
Old 07-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #9
alby
Guru

who's going to this?

http://www.dallascowboys.com/fans/camp.cfm

I'll be there on Aug 1, 2, and 3.

Contact Me
Old 07-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

GuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to behold

Word. Nice new site. Much better than the ancient looking old one. Also, looks a lot like the Texans site.

Source...

http://flickr.com/photos/nrrh/

Video update...
http://www.dallasnews.com/video/dall...ml?nvid=264200

Last edited by GuerillaBlack; 07-24-2008 at 01:50 PM.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #11
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Great string of pictures...but, you're comparing greatness to...the Houston Texans site?!

LOL.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 07-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #12
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

GuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to behold

Texans>>Cowboys

*hides*
Old 07-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #13
alby
Guru

Seriously, what is in the water down there

Contact Me
Old 07-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #14
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Bad Radio has a good line a couple of months ago. They said it looked like the contraption they were building in the movie Contact.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #15
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default daily fluff

2008 Camp Preview
Cowboys Arrive in Oxnard Thursday for Start of Camp

link

OXNARD, Calif. - The Cowboys arrive in sunny California Thursday afternoon for the beginning of yet another training camp.

While it wasn't too long ago that the team was dusting itself off after a stunning playoff loss to the Giants back in January, a new season is now upon us. Last year's team remains virtually intact, and there are a handful of new faces that bring some hope this Dallas squad will have what it takes to get over the hump and win its first playoff game since 1996. Obviously, the goals are much higher than that, with the Cowboys being tagged as one of the favorites to at least make the Super Bowl, if not bring home the trophy. But the whole journey starts at training camp, where the team returns to Oxnard for the fourth time in five years. With the first practice slated for 2:30 p.m. (PDT) on Friday afternoon at the Oxnard River Ridge Sports Complex, here's a quick summary of each position as the Cowboys prepare for the start of the 2008 season:

Quarterback
Over the past few seasons there has always seemed to be questions concerning the quarterback position for the Cowboys. Two years ago it was how long would it take for Tony Romo to supplant Drew Bledsoe. Last year it was how long it would take Jerry Jones to sign Romo to a long-term deal. Both answers came somewhere in the middle of the season.

But this year the only major uncertainty regarding Romo pertains to his personal life. Not only has Romo established himself as the quarterback of the future, he also has made a mark on the record books, setting Cowboys' single-season bests last year in completions (335), passing yards (4,211) and touchdowns (36). With only 24 starts under his belt, Romo already has made two Pro Bowls and is closer to having his name being comfortably mentioned with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Behind Romo is an experienced Brad Johnson, who enters his 17th season in the NFL. Last year, Johnson only played mop-up duty in the fourth quarter and held for field goals and extra points. If the Cowboys decide to keep three quarterbacks on the roster, Richard Bartel is the likely choice. Although Bartel spent last year on the practice squad, he has impressed the coaching staff with his improvement this offseason.

Running Back
Back in early March, running back was a position of concern. Then suddenly it became a strength.

Although he has never had a 1,000-yard season and has started only three career games, the Cowboys re-signed Marion Barber to a long-term contract, making him one of the NFL's highest-paid running backs. But his running style and nose for the goal line - 24 touchdowns the past two seasons - made him a player the Cowboys had to keep.

In the draft, they took Arkansas' Felix Jones in the first round to complement Barber's running style. Jones is electrifying in the open field and should help in kickoff returns, where he was a two-time All-American. Fourth-round pick Tashard Choice is built like Barber and has a similar running style. The Georgia Tech standout could warrant some playing time right away.

Also, watch out for Alonzo Coleman, a smaller, but quick tailback who spent all of last year on the practice squad. The Cowboys would like to see what he can do, although it won't be easy to find carries for him, even in the preseason.

The Cowboys let Julius Jones sign with Seattle in free agency and did not attempt to re-sign Tyson Thompson.

Wide Receiver
While there are plenty of question marks about the No. 2 receiver and just how everything else will shake out at the bottom of this position, at least there is no doubt about the team's top pass catcher. Terrell Owens is back and although he'll be 35 at the end of the season, he's showing no signs of slowing down. He set a club record for touchdown catches in a season with 15 last year. And with a new four-year, $34 million contract, the Cowboys are counting on him to again be Romo's go-to receiver.

The Terry Glenn situation has yet to be resolved. The Cowboys are hoping he will return from a knee injury that caused him to miss 15 games last year, but it appears the club is treating Glenn as a bonus. If he plays, it's another speed threat on the outside. If not, Patrick Crayton and Sam Hurd likely will be called upon to pick up the slack. Also, Miles Austin and Isaiah Stanback will provide some speed. The Cowboys didn't draft a receiver this year, but they have some promising rookie free agents, including Texas Tech star Danny Amendola, Mark Bradford from Stanford and Daniel Polk, a college quarterback trying to make the switch to receiver.

Tight End
This position provides an impressive combination of youth, athleticism and a superstar. The latter is Jason Witten, who at age 26 already has four Pro Bowls and is closing in on nearly all of the club's tight-end records.

Witten is coming off the best season of his career, as he led the Cowboys with 96 receptions totaling 1,145 yards - both career highs.

The Cowboys traded Anthony Fasano, a second-round pick in 2006, to Miami just before the draft and virtually replaced him with Martellus Bennett, their second-round pick this year from Texas A&M. Bennett, who also played college basketball, has the size the Cowboys are wanting at 6-6, 260. He likely will have to battle Tony Curtis for playing time behind Witten. Curtis had a productive season in a limited role, catching three passes for three touchdowns last year.

Offensive Line
The Cowboys had three offensive linemen starting in the Pro Bowl last season, but still looming large is how the line struggled against the Giants' heavy pass rush in the playoff loss. Left tackle Flozell Adams was re-signed to a six-year deal and likely will end his career in Dallas. Marc Colombo will anchor the right side once again, while Kyle Kosier and Leonard Davis, who made his first Pro Bowl appearance last year, are returning to handle the guard spots. Andre Gurode made the Pro Bowl in each of the last two seasons and should start to get some national attention as one of the NFL's best centers.

The question marks come after the starting five. The Cowboys drafted three offensive tackles - Pat McQuistan, James Marten and Doug Free - in the last three seasons and someone from that group needs to emerge. Cory Procter and Joe Berger have the inside track for the backup spots at guard and center, respectively.

The Cowboys also added some depth in the offseason, signing Cory Lekkerkerker, who played under new line coach Hudson Houck in both San Diego and Miami. The club also signed offensive tackle Ryan Gibbons and guard Adam Stenavich. All three players have minimal playing experience in regular-season games.

Defensive Line
The Cowboys didn't make many changes to this position in the offseason. Defensive ends Chris Canty and Marcus Spears should resume their starting duties, although Jason Hatcher and Stephen Bowen will again push for playing time.

With a full offseason conditioning program for the first time in two years, Tank Johnson says he's in the best shape of his life. He will provide some beef inside at defensive tackle, but don't expect him to replace Jay Ratliff as the starter. Ratliff not only held his own inside, but also provided a steady rush from the tackle spot, posting three sacks and 15 quarterback pressures.

One player who could make some noise is Junior Siavii, a two-year veteran who has the size (6-5, 330) to clog the middle of the line.

Linebacker
There aren't many new faces here, but one who is expected to make a big difference this year is Zach Thomas. The Pampa, Texas, native and former Texas Tech star spent the last 12 years with the Dolphins, racking up seven Pro Bowls along the way. Thomas will pair up with Bradie James as the starters inside, now that Akin Ayodele has been traded to the Dolphins. The Cowboys have quality depth in Bobby Carpenter and Kevin Burnett, a pair of high draft picks who will likely help in the dime package and special teams.

Burnett is entering the final year of his original contract he signed as a second-round pick in 2005. While he has endured more surgeries (five) than games started (two), Burnett proved last year he could contribute nicely on the dime package. In a so-called "contract year," it will be interesting to see just what kind of performance Burnett can show, despite limited playing time.

On the outside, DeMarcus Ware has established himself as one of the NFL's best football players, more than just a great defensive player or pass rusher. He improved his sack totals in each of the last three seasons and finished second in the NFL last year with 14 sacks.

Greg Ellis had the best season of his career last year on the opposite side, registering 12.5 sacks to earn his first Pro Bowl selection and the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year award after recovering from a season-ending Achilles' tendon injury in 2006.

Secondary
All eyes will be on Adam Jones, who was traded from Tennessee back in late April. The cornerback has never been short on talent, but his off-the-field issues, which led to a one-year suspension from the NFL, are reason for concern.

The good news for the Cowboys is that Jones is part of a talented secondary that includes fellow first-round picks Terence Newman, safety Roy Williams and rookie Mike Jenkins, the 25th overall pick in this year's draft.

Newman and Anthony Henry should man the starting spots at cornerback, while Jenkins and Jones will provide plenty of depth. Also watch out for Alan Ball, Evan Oglesby and fifth-round pick Orlando Scandrick at cornerback.

At safety, Ken Hamlin and Williams made the Pro Bowl last season. Although Hamlin recently signed a new six-year, $39 million contract, he has missed a lot of the offseason workouts because of a contract holdout. That has paved the way for Pat Watkins and Courtney Brown to receive plenty of practice reps.

Special Teams
The Cowboys have two of the NFL's best kickers in punter Mat McBriar and kicker Nick Folk. Both young players made the Pro Bowl in the last two years. Folk surprised everyone with a trip to Hawaii last year as a rookie after making 26-of-31 field goal attempts, none more memorable than his 53-yarder to beat Buffalo in the final seconds of the Week Five game.

McBriar didn't return to the Pro Bowl, where he played after the 2006 season, but he didn't have a huge drop off either, averaging 47.1 yards per punt last year.

The return game should be interesting, with Felix Jones able to help on kickoffs. And, Adam Jones has four career punt returns for touchdowns in just two seasons.

The coverage units will certainly miss Keith Davis, the special teams captain for two years who signed with the Dolphins as a free agent.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #16
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

good state of the union speech by jones no wild predictions
Old 07-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #17
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone listen to the examination on The Ticket of Jerry Jones...."speech," today? I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I did...it bored the hell out of me. I suppose it's just not funny to me.. I'd rather here some baseball or football talk,..not examining jerry speak.

When Bob and Dan started their segment on jerry speak, I actually flipped it over to 103.3 to see what Michael Irvin had to say. After listening to a minute of him, I slit my wrists.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #19
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Phillips
Get your ring finger ready, that's right.
Yipes!

In other news...

Quote:
Source

Glenn says he will take split contract; Cowboys still contemplating it

Wide receiver Terry Glenn says he's accepted the concept of signing a split contract with the Dallas Cowboys but team owner Jerry Jones remains undecided on whether to bring the veteran receiver back under those terms.

Under the terms of the new deal, the oft-injured receiver will not be paid his entire $1.7 million salary should he reinjure his right knee, Glenn told ESPN's Ed Werder.

However, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones hasn't decided if he wants to take a chance on Glenn, according to Werder. Jones has not told Glenn if he should report to camp or expect to be released.

Jones is reportedly concerned about depth at the wide receiver position beyond Terrell Owens. Others in the Cowboys' organization are worried about Glenn's health. He was one topic in a team staff meeting on Thursday.

"Hopefully, this gets worked out. Jerry holds the key," Glenn told Werder.

The amount Glenn will be paid is not known.

Glenn missed 15 games after having two surgeries on his right knee last season.

Glenn's helmet and practice equipment are in Oxnard, Calif., where the Cowboys open training camp on Friday. Glenn is in Dallas at his home.

Last edited by ty; 07-25-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #20
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Are we trying to make room for someone? I thought this whole split contract thing was Jerry's idea in the first place. This sounds like Jerry offered Glenn a tough deal, Glenn finally says yes and Jerry says "not so fast......"

If I were Glenn, I'd be pissed.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #21
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw on ESPN Tickler--

Ed Werder announced Dallas Cowboys have waived Terry Glenn
Old 07-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #22
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Glenn brought it on himself. He tried to play hardball now Jerry is returning the favor. I think Jerry brings him back though.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #23
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

fudgesicles... so our receiving corp. is the same as last year + our new running back. Those young guys better step up!

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 07-25-2008 at 07:27 PM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #24
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

What do you all did Glenn for anyway? You have TO as WR 1. You have Witten who is basically the number two WR. Replace Glenn with some young talent.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:47 PM   #25
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Wow. Didn't expect to release Glenn. Does this mean Boldin talks are heating up?
Old 07-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #26
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Wow. Didn't expect to release Glenn. Does this mean Boldin talks are heating up?
Doesn't Boldin still have a few years left on his contract? He just wanted more money in those years. Cowboys would have to give up some quality.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:18 AM   #27
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack
Doesn't Boldin still have a few years left on his contract? He just wanted more money in those years. Cowboys would have to give up some quality.
For a player disgruntled as Boldin is i'd imagine we'd have to give up a 1st and a 3rd at the most. Maybe we throw-in Carpenter. I like the idea of going with the young recievers to be honest. That's the only optimistic thing about this whole situation. I'd like to have some insurance at the reciever spot in case a Crayton or any of our recievers go down.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #28
alby
Guru

see yah Glenn! don't bother getting your finger size measured!

Contact Me
Old 07-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #29
Underdog

Continuing Progress
Cutting Glenn Came Down To Young WRs

link

OXNARD, Calif. - For months, we thought this was about a knee. We thought this was about $1.74 million, or a $500,000 injury settlement. For a while, it seemed like it was about pride or stubbornness, about a desire to play and a need for a speed receiver.

In the end, this entire Terry Glenn saga didn't seem to be about Terry Glenn at all. And, it certainly doesn't seem like he had any decision in the matter either.

No, the Cowboys released Glenn here Friday with owner Jerry Jones announcing the decision in the middle of the first training camp practice at the Oxnard River Ridge Sports Complex. And this decision, which Jones said he made just two hours earlier, didn't come down to any of the aforementioned factors.

This was about the Cowboys' young receivers. This was about seeing what Patrick Crayton can really do when he's not looking over his shoulder. This is about Sam Hurd's opportunity to be a true third receiver, that is unless Miles Austin can beat him out.

And, it's about Isaiah Stanback getting every chance to show what he can do. This is about seeing if Mike Jefferson or even Danny Amendola, who easily produced the play of the camp so far with a diving grab in 7-on-7 drills, has what it takes to earn a roster spot.

That's what the Cowboys want to see. That's what the Cowboys want to hope.

And at the end of the day, Jerry Jones and the Cowboys decided that's what they wanted to risk, more than the fact of Glenn and his right knee trying to hold up through training camp, the preseason and, of course, the regular season.

This isn't to say the Cowboys are calling Glenn a "progress-stopper," even though it almost has that kind of feel. That was evident when Jones said the Cowboys might even consider bringing Glenn back, possibly down the road in a few weeks.

So basically, this is a chance to see all of the young receivers without Terry Glenn in the mix at all. He's gone, cut, released, waived. Any way you put it, the Cowboys are moving on without Glenn.

Now, whether or not Jones wants to keep Glenn at "an arms length," it's apparent the Cowboys are moving on without him. That way, there is no "if Glenn comes back" contingencies to worry about.

He's gone. And the Cowboys can just move on.

And that seems to be the Cowboys' take, although not exactly my own.

Personally, I don't really like the way this thing turned out at all. Through the grapevine, it sounded as if Glenn wasn't in the best shape in the world. Hmm, I wonder if that means he was running like a 4.4 or something.

Please, Terry Glenn not in shape? Doesn't sound like a great excuse to me.

All I know is that he has been seen at the Cowboys' facility playing racquetball on a few occasions. If you've ever played that sport, you know how demanding it is physically. And to cut back and forth on that surgically-repaired knee is rather impressive.

So, it's surprising to me if this came down to his conditioning. Jerry Jones even said the Cowboys probably would hold him out some here in training camp and possibly the preseason.

Now, all along we thought this was about money. And let's not kid ourselves, money is always involved in some way, and this is no different. But, it's not the only factor in this case.

Sure, the Cowboys wanted to protect themselves from paying Glenn's $1.74 million base salary if he were to suffer another injury. That's why they approached the wide receiver with a $500,000 injury settlement back in the summer.

And that's really where this whole thing changed.

After the draft, Jones seemed so enthusiastic about Glenn's chances to return, he used that as the top reason the Cowboys didn't draft a wide receiver at all. He said Glenn was moving well in the workouts at Valley Ranch, keeping most of the team and staff encouraged about his chances to play.

But, something changed.

Jones or even head coach Wade Phillips didn't actually specify what it was. Maybe it happened on Glenn's end as well, but something made Jones put his business cap on and work up the $500,000 injury settlement.

Glenn initially balked and said he wouldn't sign it. Who knows, maybe he stopped working out as much, too. But at the end of the day, Glenn had even agreed to sign it and return to the team. Glenn was ready. Unfortunately for him, it was probably too late.

The Cowboys are ready to move on. They're ready to see just what these younger guys can do and they really don't seem interested in having Glenn hanging over anyone's head.

Now, Jones and Phillips might keep Glenn in the back of their mind, that is unless the veteran doesn't sign on with another team. And yes, it's hard not to think someone from Miami will, or probably already has called to see just how that right knee is holding up.

A colleague of mine who writes for another newspaper said back in April that Glenn's next catch will occur with the Dolphins. Thought he was crazy. Guess not.

Who knows, maybe Glenn's next reception will be with the Cowboys, if indeed they really are serious about leaving the door open. And maybe Glenn won't have any more catches. Just maybe he'll see that he truly has done enough in his career and decide to hang it up.

But unlike the one that just ended his tenure with the Cowboys, that is a decision that Glenn actually does get to make.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:37 AM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Boldin isn't necessary here. Our #2 receiver is probably already Witten. There are only so many balls to go around. Our corps of receivers is more than adequate to get the job done.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:40 AM   #31
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Boldin isn't necessary here. Our #2 receiver is probably already Witten. There are only so many balls to go around. Our corps of receivers is more than adequate to get the job done.
That reminds me: Draft Witten again for FF.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:50 AM   #32
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
There are only so many balls to go around.
That's what she said?

Old 07-26-2008, 03:47 AM   #33
alby
Guru

Bolden has T.O. II written all over him. The Cards have no leverage with him, the kid is demanding to be let go--get 'er done.

edit*
The most important part of acquiring Bolden may actually be the fact that we would be keeping him from the Foreskins, Iggles, and Giants.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 07-26-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #34
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bolden has T.O. II written all over him. The Cards have no leverage with him, the kid is demanding to be let go--get 'er done.
He's under contract for three more years. That's all the leverage they need.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #35
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

this isnt about the cowboys looking to bring in another wr it is just a move to see if crayton is a true number 2 before next years offseason.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #36
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

Lulz. Watch this TO interview. I'm not even a Cowboy fan and I thought it was funny. It's the fashion one: http://www.dallascowboys.com/multime...BF2420C79070C4
Old 07-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #37
alby
Guru

Dang, it must suck to not be a Cowboy fan.

Contact Me
Old 07-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #38
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

Quote:
Dang, it must suck to not be a Cowboy fan.

Not really.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:23 AM   #39
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

bolden bolden bolden
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #40
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Wade on ESPN radio in about 5 minutes...