Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-19-2007, 05:45 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Versatile George gives Mavs options

Versatile George gives Mavs options

11:03 PM CST on Thursday, January 18, 2007
By TIM MacMAHON / The Dallas Morning News

Devean George came to Dallas as a player who had proven he could be a piece of a championship team.

The Mavericks pursued George, who earned three rings as a Lakers reserve, in free agency because of how many ways he could fit into the puzzle.

"Wherever there's a need, I'll try to fit in," said the 6-8, 235-pound George, who started in place of sick Devin Harris at shooting guard Thursday night against the Lakers.

George's value is his versatility. He can play shooting guard or either forward position, giving coach Avery Johnson tremendous flexibility to create favorable matchups.

"It's critical," Johnson said. "That's why we signed him. Boy, he gives us a lot of options."

George can give opponents a lot of problems coming off the bench. Just ask the Houston Rockets, whose lead disappeared quickly Tuesday night when George got into the game in the third quarter.

George played a key role in cooling off Rockets star Tracy McGrady, who scored 45 points but missed seven of his final 10 shots.

George's perimeter shooting forced the Rockets to go to a small lineup, which allowed the Mavericks to dominate the rebounding battle. George took advantage of a mismatch against Houston center Dikembe Mutombo, whose only other option was to attempt to defend Dirk Nowitzki, to get open for two quick 3-pointers. Mutombo went to the bench, but George stayed hot and scored all 14 of his points in the second half.

"He's a great teammate to have," Lakers star Kobe Bryant said. "What he does is he hits big shots and is a great defender."

Added Johnson: "We thought he could come in and be a great role player. He's shaping up into that."

Dirk gets Kobe's vote: Bryant, a perennial MVP candidate, said Nowitzki would be his choice for the award at the midseason point.

"Give it to Dirk," said Bryant, who has never won the honor. "I don't even want it, to be honest with you. You know what? I just don't play for that. That's completely out of my mind. I don't play for numbers. I don't play for anything else but wins.

"That being said, I just think Dirk is having a phenomenal year."

Respect from the ringmaster: Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who has never shied away from taking jabs at the Mavericks, had nothing but respect for the team with the NBA's best record Thursday.

"We think they've really matured a lot in the last three years," said Jackson, who shares the distinction of having won the most NBA titles as a coach (nine) with Celtics legend Red Auerbach. "It's a team that can play down the stretch. They seem to win close games now. They don't have to outscore people now."

Briefly: Johnson said Harris, who stayed home with the flu Thursday, will get the today off before joining the Mavericks for the upcoming three-game road trip that begins Sunday in Miami. "That body can't afford to lose much weight," Johnson said of the 6-3, 185-pound Harris. ... Sixth man Jerry Stackhouse received a standing ovation after singing the national anthem.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #2
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS PLAYBOOK

Is 70 still a possibility?

By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS -- If the Mavericks had started this season the way they're playing now, folks might be talking about the possibility of winning 70 games.

"It's crazy, because I was just thinking about that [Wednesday] night," Mavs guard Greg Buckner said. "If we would have won a couple of those [first four] games and continued to play as well as we've been playing here lately, we definitely would be on a nice way to try and win 70."

The 1995-96 Chicago Bulls are the only team in NBA history to crack the 70-win barrier, finishing with an incredible 72-10 record. After Thursday's win over the Lakers pushed their record to 33-8 at the midway point of the season, the Mavs are on pace to finish 66-16.

After a few injuries and while trying to mix in some new players, the Mavs opened the season 0-4. That includes home losses to San Antonio (97-91) and Golden State (107-104), and road losses to Houston (107-76) and the Los Angeles Clippers (103-85).

"That's a difficult feat," Buckner said, of winning 70 games. "It takes a special year, and it takes a special team.

"But even if you do win 70 and you don't win the championship, that's not good, either."

George making progress

Although he played in the shadows of Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant during his seven-year tenure with the Los Angeles Lakers, at least one of Devean George's former teammates isn't surprised he's blossoming with the Mavericks.

"He's a great guy, and he's a great teammate to have," Bryant said. "What he does is he can hit the big shots, and he's a great defender."

Coach Avery Johnson acknowledged the Mavs knew exactly what they were getting when they signed George to a two-year, $4.16 million free-agent contract last summer.

"Obviously the major contributors [with the Lakers], you know who they are," Johnson said. "We thought he could come in and be a great role player, and it's shaping up into that," Johnson said.

George got off to a rough start this season when he was slowed by a stomach virus. But he contributed 14 points, six rebounds and two blocks in Tuesday's 109-96 win over Houston.

He had another big game against his former team Thursday, hitting 7 of 10 shots from the field and finishing with 14 points and six rebounds.

"It's taken him 30 games or so into this season to get to this point," Johnson said. "He battled some illness early on in the season, eating at the wrong restaurants here in Dallas.

"So now we've got him eating at the places where I go."

Nowitzki is Kobe's MVP

Amid talk of whether Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade or he should win the NBA's Most Valuable Player award this season, Kobe Bryant put the controversy to rest Thursday afternoon.

"Give it to Dirk," the Lakers guard said. "I don't even want it.

"I just don't play for that. That's completely out of my mind."

Bryant said he's more interested in adding a fourth championship trophy to his mantel than collecting his first MVP award.

"I don't play for numbers," he said. "I don't play for anything else but to win.

"But that being said, I think Dirk is having a phenomenal year."

Flu sidelines Harris

Point guard Devin Harris sat out Thursday's game against the Lakers with the flu, and Mavs officials said he'll also sit out today's practice.

Avery Johnson said of Harris: "That body can't afford to lose much weight."

Devean George was inserted into the starting lineup at shooting guard against the Lakers, and Jason Terry slid over from his shooting guard spot and started at point guard.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
duboh7

duboh7 has a spectacular aura aboutduboh7 has a spectacular aura about

I have eaten several servings of "crow" this season. (I was not enthsiastic about the Mavs signing George last Summer.). He has been a real benefit to the Mav's success.
duboh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta give Buckner some credit because he is playing better, but the team prides themselves on not thinkin about the wins so I take away points for this. Lets focus on Miami before we get to 70.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Kerr and Kobe and Charles say Dirk for MVP? Game over.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

I'll take 65 wins and be more than happy. It's all about the playoffs.
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Right now, it's about getting win #27, or whatever the hell AJ thinks the W-L record is.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #8
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
I gotta give Buckner some credit because he is playing better, but the team prides themselves on not thinkin about the wins so I take away points for this. Lets focus on Miami before we get to 70.
You know that everyone on the team has thought about 70, but Buck is the only one brave enough to admit it.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

At the current pace, the final standings would be:

Mavs: 66-16
Suns: 65-17

If you ignore the respective 0-4 and 3-6 starts:

Mavs: 70-12
Suns: 68-14

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 01-19-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:55 PM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
Kerr and Kobe and Charles say Dirk for MVP? Game over.
41 games to go

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #11
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

Kobe did a good job of giving himself a backhanded compliment there
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote