Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #161
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, I said the same thing earlier in this thread... If their stats dropped because they were sulking, then why did their stats continue to drop in New York and Boston (both competitors that they chose)? I just don't buy that excuse.
Because their new teams were trying to compete for a championship, and they both wanted to try and be a part of that again. What Cuban did to the Mavs both knew they weren't sniffing the Finals again.

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense. Both players were on contract years, and had every incentive to boost their value before hitting free agency.
There is a reason for the expressions: going through the motions; not heart or feeling; dead inside.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #162
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Because their new teams were trying to compete for a championship, and they both wanted to try and be a part of that again.
How does that explain the continued drop in their stats?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-24-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #163
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk: “Yeah, in the lockout year, we were hoping that we would have everybody back. Now, a year further along, I’m turning 35, (Jason Kidd) just retired and turned 40 and (Jason Terry) is going to turn 36. I’m not sure how far we could have ridden it. It would have been interesting to see and I would have loved to seen it. Like I mentioned in the interview, the lockout year was tough on the older guys and tough on their bodies. It was a lot of games heading into the playoffs. I’m not sure if we would have had a decent chance to repeat there. Business-wise, we had to make the decision. Looking back at it now, I think it was the right one.”
Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #164
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So, no real basis for that claim, then.
Just one side of the coin that other Mav fans agree with me, and the other side that Mav fans disagree with me.

But aren't hypotheticals fun?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #165
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Dirk: “Yeah, in the lockout year, we were hoping that we would have everybody back. Now, a year further along, I’m turning 35, (Jason Kidd) just retired and turned 40 and (Jason Terry) is going to turn 36. I’m not sure how far we could have ridden it. It would have been interesting to see and I would have loved to seen it. Like I mentioned in the interview, the lockout year was tough on the older guys and tough on their bodies. It was a lot of games heading into the playoffs. I’m not sure if we would have had a decent chance to repeat there. Business-wise, we had to make the decision. Looking back at it now, I think it was the right one.”

/thread

Last edited by Underdog; 07-24-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #166
Bayliss

Jason Terry:
2010-2011: 16 PPG/2 RPG/4 APG
2011-2012: 15 PPG/2 RPG/4 APG

Jason Kidd:
2010-2011: 8 PPG/4 RPG/8 APG
2011-2012: 6 PPG/4 RPG/6 APG

Now they are pretty much identical. The major difference in Kidd's stats? He didn't get an assist or two every night getting to throw an alley oop to Chandler.......
Old 07-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #167
Bayliss

Quote:
Dirk: “Yeah, in the lockout year, we were hoping that we would have everybody back. Now, a year further along, I’m turning 35, (Jason Kidd) just retired and turned 40 and (Jason Terry) is going to turn 36. I’m not sure how far we could have ridden it. It would have been interesting to see and I would have loved to seen it. Like I mentioned in the interview, the lockout year was tough on the older guys and tough on their bodies. It was a lot of games heading into the playoffs. I’m not sure if we would have had a decent chance to repeat there.Business-wise, we had to make the decision. Looking back at it now, I think it was the right one.”
The part I bolded is what a lot of Mavs fans wanted to see. They knew that it would be tough but they wanted to see them try. Just like Dirk said.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #168
Underdog

Quote:
The part I bolded is what a lot of Mavs fans wanted to see. They knew that it would be tough but they wanted to see them try. Just like Dirk said.
What do you interpret "I’m not sure if we would have had a decent chance to repeat there" to mean?

Last edited by Underdog; 07-24-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #169
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I notice you didn't bold the last two sentences of the Dirk quote you posted. Peculiar, indeed.

Quote:
Business-wise, we had to make the decision. Looking back at it now, I think it was the right one.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 07-24-2013 at 04:16 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #170
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
How does that explain the continued drop in their stats?
I like how he didn't answer this either time you asked it.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #171
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly a German-English translation problem. His talk of only the old guys highlights the overwhelming might of the youthful JJB. His feelings - as usual - they would have slaughtered them all. Anything else is selling an illusion.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #172
Bayliss

Quote:
What do you interpret "I’m not sure if we would have had a decent chance to repeat there" to mean?
That he wasn't sure whether they would have had a decent chance to repeat.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #173
Underdog

Quote:
Sounds like he was a lot less confident about it than you were... And he's Dirk.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #174
Bayliss

Quote:
Sounds like he was a lot less confident about it than you were... And he's Dirk.
I never said they would repeat. I said I would have liked them to have the chance to repeat. There is a difference.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #175
Underdog

Quote:
I never said they would repeat. I said I would have liked them to have the chance to repeat. There is a difference.
Ah, I apologize then - I thought you were squarely in the "they would have repeated if they brought everyone back" camp.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #176
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And that the decision was the right one.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #177
Bayliss

Quote:
And that the decision was the right one.
The business decision was the right one.

Business decisions and basketball decisions don't always align.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #178
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Helll I don't even think the business decision was the right one. Letting players walk and getting nothing isn't exactly smart GMing IMO.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #179
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Helll I don't even think the business decision was the right one. Letting players walk and getting nothing isn't exactly smart GMing IMO.
We didn't exactly get nothing - we got a trade exception that turned into Lamar Odom... It ended up being a sh!t move, but it wasn't "nothing," like when Nash walked.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-24-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #180
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty obvious from Dirk's quote how he felt about the decision. And it would be shocking if he had felt otherwise.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #181
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Ah, I apologize then - I thought you were squarely in the "they would have repeated if they brought everyone back" camp.
Is that even a camp?.. I've never heard anyone say that they would have repeated.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
homer pile, homers unite, moogle=ghostofchamp, murph'sblogisgay, murphy3's vagina hurts, oilfield va-jay-jay, oilfieldsimpleton