Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #41
samoan-maverickII

samoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Oscar Robertson
Julius Irving
Pistol Pete
Wilt Chamberlain
Earl Monroe
Clyde Drexler
Michael Jordan
Kareem Abudl-Jabar
Charles Barkley
Nate Thurmond

all had jerseys retired in at least 2 cities.
I can't believe I never knew this. Awesome. But we should get firstzies on JKidd.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #42
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Geez, was there just a fight between Cuban and Prokhorov over JKidd's number in this forum? Both franchises will do it. When, how is another question for a later date. Incredibly fortunate for this forum that basketball players do not wear hats, this forum would have crashed on which hat to wear, Nets or Mavericks.

As someone who followed his career, the Nets would not be in Brooklyn without Kidd. The finals, playoff appearances all legitimized the Nets, gave the franchise financial value, just like how Lebron did it for Cleveland. People were paying attention to the Nets for the first time. There's no way there would have been a shovel in Brooklyn without Kidd. In some ways, Kidd Built the Barclays Center. Would they still have built the place if Kidd left after 2003? Probably not. Nevertheless, that's what he did for the Nets, for him personally his time in NJ laid the foundation to his HOF resume.

In Dallas he cemented the first ballot ticket to the HOF. You win a championship and as Mark Jackson said on the broadcast, "Jason Kidd's DNA was all over this championship," he leaves a legacy of helping take another HOF player over the championship threshold. What he did in Dallas goes beyond the stat sheets. It took him a year or so to lay his gritty, toughness into the Mavs bunch, translated into a do what it takes to win, lunch pail group......and Cuban said he bought Mavs season tickets because of Kidd.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #43
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
as Mark Jackson said on the broadcast, "Jason Kidd's DNA was all over this championship,"
Gross...

Would love to hear his locker room speeches. They've got to be a goldmine of bizarre phrases.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #44
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
the only bad player on that list is all of them
Fixed that for ya.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #45
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Geez, was there just a fight between Cuban and Prokhorov over JKidd's number in this forum? Both franchises will do it. When, how is another question for a later date. Incredibly fortunate for this forum that basketball players do not wear hats, this forum would have crashed on which hat to wear, Nets or Mavericks.

As someone who followed his career, the Nets would not be in Brooklyn without Kidd. The finals, playoff appearances all legitimized the Nets, gave the franchise financial value, just like how Lebron did it for Cleveland. People were paying attention to the Nets for the first time. There's no way there would have been a shovel in Brooklyn without Kidd. In some ways, Kidd Built the Barclays Center. Would they still have built the place if Kidd left after 2003? Probably not. Nevertheless, that's what he did for the Nets, for him personally his time in NJ laid the foundation to his HOF resume.

In Dallas he cemented the first ballot ticket to the HOF. You win a championship and as Mark Jackson said on the broadcast, "Jason Kidd's DNA was all over this championship," he leaves a legacy of helping take another HOF player over the championship threshold. What he did in Dallas goes beyond the stat sheets. It took him a year or so to lay his gritty, toughness into the Mavs bunch, translated into a do what it takes to win, lunch pail group......and Cuban said he bought Mavs season tickets because of Kidd.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #46
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Apparently Cuban reached out to Kidd via email and they're cool now.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #47
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

A few random Kidd thoughts:

-I remember in the months leading up to his draft having almost daily arguments with my best friend at the time over Kidd vs. Big Dog. I was a huge Kidd fan when he was at Cal and was actually happy we didn't win the lottery because I felt like Robinson would be the #1 pick. He was so freaking dominant at Purdue. 20 years later I have scoreboard on that one. Really it didn't take that long, Kidd's just been running up the score for the past 10 or 15 years.

-In Kidd's first training camp Dick Motta would open up the second practice of the day to the public. Every day after work I'd drive to Moody, mostly to watch him. The first few minutes were usually fast break drills and Kidd made passes that I'd never seen before and haven't since. He was able to take chances he couldn't take in games and was clearly playing to the crowd. He'd see angles from floor level that I couldn't see from 20 rows up. Just unbelievable vision and showmanship.

-We're about the same age so I would see him and Chris Gatling at Primetime 21 almost every weekend. I know it's hard to believe but he did pretty well for himself.

-I was pissed when we traded him to PHX and never understood why we didn't get back Steve Nash instead of Sam Cassell. Seems like we had all the leverage at the time. I wonder if we even asked.

-I was almost equally unhappy when we brought him back and sent Devin to NJ but let's not focus on that so much.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #48
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
A few random Kidd thoughts:

-I remember in the months leading up to his draft having almost daily arguments with my best friend at the time over Kidd vs. Big Dog. I was a huge Kidd fan when he was at Cal and was actually happy we didn't win the lottery because I felt like Robinson would be the #1 pick. He was so freaking dominant at Purdue. 20 years later I have scoreboard on that one. Really it didn't take that long, Kidd's just been running up the score for the past 10 or 15 years.

-In Kidd's first training camp Dick Motta would open up the second practice of the day to the public. Every day after work I'd drive to Moody, mostly to watch him. The first few minutes were usually fast break drills and Kidd made passes that I'd never seen before and haven't since. He was able to take chances he couldn't take in games and was clearly playing to the crowd. He'd see angles from floor level that I couldn't see from 20 rows up. Just unbelievable vision and showmanship.

-We're about the same age so I would see him and Chris Gatling at Primetime 21 almost every weekend. I know it's hard to believe but he did pretty well for himself.

-I was pissed when we traded him to PHX and never understood why we didn't get back Steve Nash instead of Sam Cassell. Seems like we had all the leverage at the time. I wonder if we even asked.

-I was almost equally unhappy when we brought him back and sent Devin to NJ but let's not focus on that so much.
Would have come full circle if Big Dog's son actually played with Kidd in the NBA.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #49
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Killer! Loved that dude. Wish his health would've allowed him to have a longer career with the Mavs.
Hear Hear!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #50
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Would have come full circle if Big Dog's son actually played with Kidd in the NBA.
True. I always thought it had to be wierd for him to play against Ed Davis after playing with Terry.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #51
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Kidd said he was "blessed" to play for each of the teams he played for in his career, but would always consider the Mavericks his team.

"Stat-wise probably New Jersey stands out but the team that drafted me will always be the team that I tried to consider myself with, because they drafted me they gave me the opportunity and then brought me back and we all fulfilled that dream of winning a championship," he said.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...-talking-again

.................................................. ................................................

I think it's pretty neat that Kidd would say that. He also called Cuban one of the best owners in sports in the article -- hopefully, CP3 and D12 take notice.
jleefilled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #52
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled View Post
I think it's pretty neat that Kidd would say that. He also called Cuban one of the best owners in sports in the article -- hopefully, CP3 and D12 take notice.
Cuban should offer him a job right now and have him help to recruit those guys.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #53
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully Cuban sending him that note means that he is over Kidd reneging this past summer.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #54
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Hopefully Cuban sending him that note means that he is over Kidd reneging this past summer.
I'm pretty sure he got over it as soon as he saw how Kidd performed this season (especially in the playoffs...)

I'm just glad that it's water under the bridge now.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #55
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

I wouldn't mind seeing Dallas retire Kidd's jersey but if they didn't its not the end of the world either.

Dirk is an obvious guy who will have his jersey retired
He15man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #56
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
What are you trying to say about my man KVH? I won't stand for this!
Sir, that would be KVB.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #57
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9b1K_gpY7Y

This video reminds me of the glimpse I saw when Jason Kidd barely started here in Dallas. Despite the Mavs losing to Jordan, it was one heck of an game to see Kidd hustle all around. His jersey number retirement belongs here in Dallas first next season!

Last edited by yahyes; 06-06-2013 at 03:11 AM.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:35 AM   #58
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

My fondest memories of Jason Kidd are playing as him on NBA Jam for the Super Nintendo.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #59
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
True. I always thought it had to be wierd for him to play against Ed Davis after playing with Terry.
Oh yea, forgot about that one. Saw an article about Popeye Jones' son being the top NHL draft prospect this season.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #60
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'm pretty sure he got over it as soon as he saw how Kidd performed this season (especially in the playoffs...)

I'm just glad that it's water under the bridge now.
Ha, that helped. NY just played the guy way too much too early. Kidd probably would have seen another season if he averaged 15 minutes a night. Kidd was right in his desire to backup a 35 minute guy like Deron. Kidd knows his body and I would surmise the thought to backup Lin was a consolation prize, bump his minutes up to 18-20 behind Lin, thus the move to NY.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #61
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Im just a Mavs fan since 1998 but my favorite "what if" is this trade not happening and Kidd/Dirk teaming up for the entire time. Creating like a Nets team with Dirk as go to guy instead of Kenyon Martin.

Last edited by sefant77; 06-06-2013 at 06:51 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #62
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Killer! Loved that dude. Wish his health would've allowed him to have a longer career with the Mavs.
Also, KVH's contract was key in us getting Kidd from NJ
(thanks again Devean George)
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #63
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Countless times in his second Mavs go-round Kidd did the "little things" to contribute to a win. Deflection, rebound, extra pass. One of the best clutch defenders ever.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/sp...rabs.html?_r=0
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #64
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Never liked him.... but his DNA is all over the Mavs championship as so eloquently stated above.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #65
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Im just a Mavs fan since 1998 but my favorite "what if" is this trade not happening and Kidd/Dirk teaming up for the entire time. Creating like a Nets team with Dirk as go to guy instead of Kenyon Martin.

Interesting, so instead of Nash, Marion's at the 3...via the draft pick sent for Nash? Sounds more like a job for NBA2K. What was it a 2 month window, before Nelson got the gig.....and he's made it known to anyone willing to listen....He would not have traded Jason Kidd.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #66
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He would not have traded Jason Kidd.
This for sure. And he would have still drafted Dirk and there you have the two cornerstones for a decade.

Keeping the Nash pick and get Marion in 99, thats allready too much speculations. But Kiddirk alone during their primes together, damn
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #67
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
This for sure. And he would have still drafted Dirk and there you have the two cornerstones for a decade.

Keeping the Nash pick and get Marion in 99, thats allready too much speculations. But Kiddirk alone during their primes together, damn
Kidd on the fast breaks early, Dirk in the half court during the playoffs and crunch time.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #68
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9b1K_gpY7Y

This video reminds me of the glimpse I saw when Jason Kidd barely started here in Dallas. Despite the Mavs losing to Jordan, it was one heck of an game to see Kidd hustle all around. His jersey number retirement belongs here in Dallas first next season!
Lets trade that guy!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #69
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Also, KVH's contract was key in us getting Kidd from NJ
(thanks again Devean George)
Nightmares of 0/11.

Freakin Devean George.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #70
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder, if Nellie had had Kidd instead of Nash, would Kidd still have been an elite defender? Nash was the far better scorer, but if we'd had Kidd defending Mike Bibby in a couple of those playoff series against Seattle, we might have a couple more banners hanging in the AAC. But then we would have never gone after Jet, so who knows?

I was lucky enough to have season tickets for Kidd's rookie season and championship one. What sticks in my mind is his defense on LeBron. Its kind of like Magic playing center when Kareem was hurt...the little guy uses his smarts to make up for what he lacks in size to conquer the world.

Retired jersey, 1st ballot unanimous HOF-both no-brainers.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #71
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
I wonder, if Nellie had had Kidd instead of Nash, would Kidd still have been an elite defender? Nash was the far better scorer, but if we'd had Kidd defending Mike Bibby in a couple of those playoff series against Seattle, we might have a couple more banners hanging in the AAC. But then we would have never gone after Jet, so who knows?

I was lucky enough to have season tickets for Kidd's rookie season and championship one. What sticks in my mind is his defense on LeBron. Its kind of like Magic playing center when Kareem was hurt...the little guy uses his smarts to make up for what he lacks in size to conquer the world.

Nellie, "rest on defense, save it for offense," remember this was when Kidd was going full bore, he didn't really start pacing himself until he got to NJ. You might be onto something there, but one thing going for Kidd was he was the State's all time steals leader in high school so he did take pride in his defense as well as pushing the rock. His hoops IQ helped his defense out a lot, he'd use his knowledge of offensive systems to get into passing leans, interfere with sweet spots etc. Nellie would not have taken that away. Jet was the notable question. Does Cuban go against the grain and bring in a 6-2 shooting guard?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #72
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

1) I'm sure you meant Sacramento, not Seattle.

2) Nellie coached Sidney Moncrief, a Defensive Player of the Year.

3) Mike Bibby really didn't "torch" Steve Nash to near the degree that some say he did.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #73
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Geez one minute I wasn't annoyed with Kidd anymore being retired. Next minute I could get more annoyed again if he's the coach for the Nets.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #74
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Geez one minute I wasn't annoyed with Kidd anymore being retired. Next minute I could get more annoyed again if he's the coach for the Nets.
How dare he try to maintain a basketball-related career from now until his upcoming retirement in ~25 years.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #75
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
How dare he try to maintain a basketball-related career from now until his upcoming retirement in ~25 years.
At least try to be in the Dallas coaching staff more or be head coach of the ugh.... Orlando Magic. Still though, he's not ready to be head coach IMO. It will show next season for sure.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:16 AM   #76
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't get it. Jet was a great pair with Kidd. Swap places on offense/ defense. Plus he was available for Antoine Walker. Why would we not go after him?
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #77
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
At least try to be in the Dallas coaching staff more or be head coach of the ugh.... Orlando Magic. Still though, he's not ready to be head coach IMO. It will show next season for sure.
You know of someone with a better understanding of the game than Kidd?
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #78
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bird. But he made a pretty lousy coach. Without Carlisle doing all xs and os... Bird hated it. He hated massaging egos.

We shall see if Kidd truly likes it. I think he would be best as an assistant coach because assistants get to work on specialties more and kind of hone their skills.

Pop was an assistant, Thibs was an assistant, Phil was an assistant, Carlisle an assistant, the list goes on and on....

But either way I'm not going to hate Kidd for coaching. But I sure wish he had some job with the Mavs instead.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #79
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
Hmm. I could bet Brian Shaw would have a better understanding at being head coach than Kidd right now.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #80
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Bird. But he made a pretty lousy coach. Without Carlisle doing all xs and os... Bird hated it. He hated massaging egos.

We shall see if Kidd truly likes it. I think he would be best as an assistant coach because assistants get to work on specialties more and kind of hone their skills.

Pop was an assistant, Thibs was an assistant, Phil was an assistant, Carlisle an assistant, the list goes on and on....

But either way I'm not going to hate Kidd for coaching. But I sure wish he had some job with the Mavs instead.
Most coaches are not hired by request, Kidd went out of his way to ask Brooklyn about the HC job, they granted him time to interview for the position, and here we are. To me, my first thought he'd go after the Nets job, close proximity to his current family, the kids with Joumana and his eldest will start his 2nd year at St. John's. 2nd, he needs the cash, 7 kids, maintain the lifestyle? I was more shocked that he retired as a player, but not shocked he's going after the Nets job. Kidd as opposed to MJ, Bird, did not look down on his teammates, he helped lesser guys like Mikki Moore see a pay day they would likely not have seen. So massaging egos, he'll be fine with that. As a player, he was a gym rat, but now, assume he's collecting the same 3 million, coach will entail much more hours spent in the office.