Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cuban just on ESPN Radio...

AND HE SLAMMED the Mavs backcourt from last season with LOW BBALL IQ and accused them of not even knowing how to run/use a P&R.

He also actually used the word "FAILED" when discussing their attempts at landing Howard. (Which I liked).

Basically said that Ellis will be reborn by learning the Mavericks Way.

Calderon will do wonders.

And the point he spent several minutes on: Don't Sleep on Dirk. "Dirk is NOT Done" he said like 10 times.

The guy is a masterful salesman. He got me pumped.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 07-22-2013 at 03:29 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Bryan Gutierrez ‏@BallinWithBryan: Cuban on rumors: "If you're reading about it, it's not true." He fires people who leak things out. He's the only one who will let info out.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Jeff Caplan ‏@Caplan_NBA: Cuban says expanding his analytics group to what he's calling "bio-analytics" looking at "genetic testing to blood analysis to perf tech."

(I'm obviously following on Twitter - can't listen to the radio at work.)

Old 07-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
AND HE SLAMMED the Mavs backcourt from last season with LOW BBALL IQ and accused them of not even knowing how to run/use a P&R.

He also actually used the word "FAILED" when discussing their attempts at landing Howard. (Which I liked).

And the point he spent several minutes on: Don't Sleep on Dirk. "Dirk is NOT Done" he said like 10 times.

I'm really glad he got rid of Collison/Mayo/Kaman. Those guys never clicked with this team, and it obviously wasn't totally their fault since they were on on years. Still, not knowing how to run a pnr is crucial and they didn't get it.

And I agree about Ellis. He is going to surprise a lot of people this season.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

He sounded pretty confident that Ellis would take a turn for the positive.

He defended the Calderon contract as a good deal (not overpay).

But the thing that really struck me was how he practically threw (and I would say accurately so) Collison and Mayo under the bus in regards to their ability to play smart basketball.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 07-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
sike
The Preacha

Also mentioned that Marion will greatly benefit from Calderon bc "Trix knows how to use space as well as anyone in the League." (Also said that the previous backcourt didn't know how to get him the ball. Saying only Vince and Dirk knew how to get Marion involved.)

Old 07-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Underdog

Quote:
Well, he did fail. Doesn't mean it was the wrong approach, but at least he can admit that it didn't work out... Moving on.

Quote:
Basically said that Ellis will be reborn by learning the Mavericks Way
Boy, I hope so - that kid has never had a coach like Carlisle... He if he can learn to be more efficient, he could easily be the best scorer Dirk has played with since Finley.

Quote:
Bryan Gutierrez ‏@BallinWithBryan: Mark Cuban said he was "shocked" that people thought the contract with Jose Calderon was a bad one.

Quote:
Looking forward to a healthy Dirk. The guy stays in shape, so he should be back to doing "Dirk things" again...

Old 07-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He sounded pretty confident that Ellis would take a turn for the positive.

He defended the Calderon contract as a good deal (not overpay).

But the thing that really struck me was how he practically threw (and I would say accurately so) Collison and Mayo under the bus in regards to their ability to play smart basketball.
Mayo blew it big time last season. He became a mental midget in crucial situations. He had every opportunity to become a star and didn't.

Calderon's starting salary this season is 6.7 million I believe? He made 10 last season so I'm not sure what people thought we'd get him for. I suppose Jack's 4/25 looks a bit better, but we hardly overpayed for Jose.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
marc9211

marc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to all

Quote:

I've said it before but I really like the way this roster looks I fully believe Ellis will have an outstanding year, great point guard to run this offense with Calderon and a defensive dally. Not to mention a healthy Dirk, again this team, if healthy,
Is next years dark horse. I've read so much hate for Cuban on these boards and I don't understand it. He's a high roller that takes calculated risks. Of course they don't always pan out but be thankful you have someone who is willing to take them.

Last edited by marc9211; 07-22-2013 at 06:06 PM.
marc9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thetwomangame.com/2013/07/clearing-doubt/
Old 07-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

I like the positivity he is speaking of, but he also said last years team was better roster wise than the championship team. Also sounded like he was talking in circles about the analytic stuff. Thoroughly enjoyed the interview however

Thanks for the link BG.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #12
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Holy crap, there are a lot of great one-liners in that interview - a very enlightening peek into their process.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-22-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I like the positivity he is speaking of, but he also said last years team was better roster wise than the championship team. Also sounded like he was talking in circles about the analytic stuff. Thoroughly enjoyed the interview however

Thanks for the link BG.
I think he said that about the Odom team, not last year's.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
I think he said that about the Odom team, not last year's.
Well, Odom was reigning 6th Man of the Year, so he "should have" been right... Vince was a good pickup too.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-22-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #15
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Dirk is too finesse not to be done. Cuban made a solid point by saying that.

Last edited by yahyes; 07-22-2013 at 08:57 PM.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Cuban is such a damn good salesman. I mean that as a genuine compliment.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you don't have to look at him, he is a good salesman..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #18
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Excellent stuff, Bryan. Thanks.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #19
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
As long as you don't have to look at him, he is a good salesman..
I think the "what's the only problem with admitting that you'd prefer the owner of the sports franchise you follow was more attractive to look at" question has a similar answer to the "what's the only problem with rollerblading" question.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly after the PG/backcourt desaster last year i always thought that Calderon is pretty much 50% of a "plan B" since he was the best available "true" PG in 2013 and 14. I also thought they would be pretty high on Iggy too and bingo, Jose/Iggy were their Plan B.

Still sucks that we missed out on Iggy because of the freaking Jazz but lets see what Monta brings to this team....
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #21
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
Excellent stuff, Bryan. Thanks.
You're welcome. It helped pass the time at the airport.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #22
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

This bio-analytics stuff is great and all, but I'm willing to bet that if he could land CP3, D12, Dwill or someone like Lebron that he would never need to bring it up. Some shit is just obvious.

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 07-23-2013 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Forgot something
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:40 AM   #23
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

I like the roster moves for the most part, I'm excited for Monta and Calderon and im still very excited for Dirk, the guy can play and people are underestimating him.

The west looks strong and we'll see how things play out next year.

Last year's squad, roster wise, was far worse than this year's squad and that team won 41 games with Dirk missing 27 games.

Teams got better in the west, but so did the Mavs.

The roster isn't perfect, but Cuban went out and got guys that fit the system.

Calderon, Ellis, Matrix, Dirk and Dalembert starting with Devin Harris(potentially), Vinsanity, Wayne Ellington, and Brandon Wright coming off the bench. Throw in some potential young guys contributing with Crowder, Larkin and Mekel and there's something for Carlisle and Dirk to work with.

We need some more bigs but over all the roster was upgraded and that's all we could ask for honestly.

We didn't get Dwight, but we did add some good players and have more depth this year.

Next year you go out and get a guy like Cousins if possible and you get back in the hunt.

Dallas didn't get a big name guy this year, but what they did get was a solid core roster to build around Dirk and set up for the 2014 off-season with that added cap space we'll get from Dirk re-signing cheaper.

Last edited by He15man; 07-23-2013 at 03:43 AM.
He15man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #24
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

We still don't know who is going to play defense. Let's see where we are after 30 games.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
I think the "what's the only problem with admitting that you'd prefer the owner of the sports franchise you follow was more attractive to look at" question has a similar answer to the "what's the only problem with rollerblading" question.
I never said "attractive"..just saying that if he tried to sell something to me face to face.. well, let's just say he looks a little like a creep or a guy that would show up as a red dot on one of the molester maps..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #26
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I never said "attractive"..just saying that if he tried to sell something to me face to face.. well, let's just say he looks a little like a creep or a guy that would show up as a red dot on one of the molester maps..
That's actually pretty funny. Well done. He does seem to still have that nerdy nervousness about him at times. And there are plenty of things that I don't care for about him, the latest being his interest in what sounds a lot like eugenics. There's just something that creeps me out about sports that lies just beneath the surface. Referring to humans as "beasts", "specimens", or "animals"... images of wealthy men inspecting the teeth of their new property on the courthouse steps come to mind.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #27
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

Quote:
Also mentioned that Marion will greatly benefit from Calderon bc "Trix knows how to use space as well as anyone in the League." (Also said that the previous backcourt didn't know how to get him the ball. Saying only Vince and Dirk knew how to get Marion involved.)
They played together in Toronto and Matrix did not benefit greatly...What changed?
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #28
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
They played together in Toronto and Matrix did not benefit greatly...What changed?
Toronto --> Dallas

Old 07-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #29
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Jeff Caplan ‏@Caplan_NBA: Cuban says expanding his analytics group to what he's calling "bio-analytics" looking at "genetic testing to blood analysis to perf tech."

(I'm obviously following on Twitter - can't listen to the radio at work.)

I have to think that the Players' Association is going to get involved with employer-initiated genetic testing intended to project performance. That does not sound kosher. Someone needs to go back and re-watch GATTACA.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #30
DisraeliGears

DisraeliGears has a spectacular aura aboutDisraeliGears has a spectacular aura aboutDisraeliGears has a spectacular aura about

I certainly like this team and I for sure think they'll make the playoffs barring injury.

One thing that I feel is being overlooked during the "outrage" at the Calderon contract is that Kidd was basically the same age when he came here. Granted Kidd actually was a legit all star for years, but Calderon should age similarly to Kidd (reading the floor and shooting doesn't go away). The only problem with Calderon is he is not nearly as defensively sound as Kidd was, but he's also a better shooter. Ellis is basically Jet 2.0 (over confident chucker who can go off when hot). I suppose the Front Office believe Dally can be similar to Tyson, with an emphasis on defense, but I think that's mistaken.

Basically after missing out on a new superstar to pair with Dirk, Cuban has tried to build a team similar to '11. Pass first floor general, over confident shooting guard, defensive oriented center, Dirk & Matrix. I don't think this team can put together that magical '11 run unless there is some kind of crazy deal at the trade deadline (which is very dubious), but next year, with everybody returning plus 20 mil or so in cap space, I think we'll be in a very good spot.
DisraeliGears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #31
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Kidd was actually 35 about to be 36. Also Kidd was still a physical specimen at that point and was out hustling guys 10 years younger than him. Kidd was just one of those guys that defied logic.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #32
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a downloadlink, that could be posted ?