Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-12-2002, 10:14 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Question #1, for 10 points
Name the two Major League Baseball players from or born in Bonham Texas?

Question #2, for 10 points
What year were walks counted as hits in MLB?

Question #3, for 10 points
What major league baseball hall of famer was from Winters Texas?

Question #4, for 10 points
Name the only second baseman in MLB history to win multiple Triple Crowns?

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2002, 03:41 PM   #2
ArcticBlast

ArcticBlast is on a distinguished road

#2 1887

#4 Rogers Hornsby

Dunno the other two. *shrugs*
Old 04-13-2002, 05:24 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

arctic..impressive so far...kinda amazing that no one else has chimed in.. it isn't that difficult, is it?
Old 04-13-2002, 06:51 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

arctic..the Winters Texas question is rather easy
Old 04-13-2002, 07:59 PM   #5
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

I am not going to take the time to research this- i am only taking a guess. I will say the Hall of Famer born in Winters, Texas is Nolen Ryan?
I do know it was somewhere in Texas?
Old 04-13-2002, 08:12 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

umm..no, it's not nolan ryan
Old 04-13-2002, 08:39 PM   #7
ArcticBlast

ArcticBlast is on a distinguished road

#1 Joe Morgan and Danny Darwin

#3 Rogers Hornsby again... And I'm guessing that second #2 is #3 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2002, 08:41 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

good job arctic..you when whatever you'd like to have... if i don't have it or can't help you out with it..too bad.. if i don't want you to have it..too bad

but good job
Old 04-13-2002, 09:00 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Question #5, who is the last Braves player to hit 4 homeruns in one game?
Old 04-13-2002, 09:22 PM   #10
nekked

nekked is on a distinguished road

wild guess...

murph
Old 04-13-2002, 09:22 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

umm...no
Old 04-13-2002, 09:31 PM   #12
nekked

nekked is on a distinguished road

well, i figured if you asked a braves question...
Old 04-13-2002, 11:40 PM   #13
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Bob Horner

Pissed me off that he did and murphy did not...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 11:53 PM   #14
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Ok, as long as we are talking sports trivia, what does everyone think the most difficult season, streak, and career records to be broken are.

My thoughs:

Season: RBI. 190
Streak: Hershiser consecutive innings without a run
Career: Cy Young 511 Wins, but that is too easy so lets go with second hardest in that catagory.
Unless the game changes Rickey Henderson's career stole bases should be pretty safe. I am sure their are others that is just off the top of my head.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 12:01 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Bob Horner.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 02:49 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

it is bob horner

and i believe the 511 wins is by far the most out there stat... i don't think there's a remote chance that that record will be broken.. with the other records, at least there's a chance
Old 04-15-2002, 05:02 PM   #17
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

511 easily. Too hard in today's game. Pitching on 5 days rest... mathematically only lets you win (in top form) around 25 games for a year. And can anyone do that for 20 years?

Not hardly. The 511 games won is very similar to the John Stockton assist total.

Also the 56 game hitting streak. Some have been close but with specialized relievers nowadays, it is just too hard.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 05:19 PM   #18
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I think that 511 might be the most difficult record to beat in all of sports. Though 100 in a game is pretty unlikely.

Old 04-15-2002, 05:43 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

i see 100 in a game as more likely than 511...
for one reason..it's only one game.

there's no way that anyone will get remotely close to 511

look how dominant maddux has been over his career..he will top out with a little over 300..maybe towards 350.

Old 04-15-2002, 06:11 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

question #6, Who's the last player to lead the league with the lowest ERA yet have a winning percentage below 40%?
Old 04-15-2002, 08:06 PM   #21
grbh
Platinum Member

I think it was Nolan Ryan. I believe one year in the 80s he was like 8-15 with an ERA in the low 2's

Old 04-15-2002, 08:22 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

that one didn't take long..good job grbh
Old 04-15-2002, 08:40 PM   #23
grbh
Platinum Member

OK, here is another one. Since the World Series began, there have been two seasons in which it was not played. What are they?

Old 04-15-2002, 08:43 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Old 04-15-2002, 08:51 PM   #25
grbh
Platinum Member

Yep, who was the only player to hit 50 home runs in a season during the 70s, and 80s.

Old 04-15-2002, 09:00 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

george foster hit 52 in 1977..but i don't think anyone ever reached 50 in the 80's
Old 04-15-2002, 09:01 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

the guy was a monster
Old 04-15-2002, 09:05 PM   #28
grbh
Platinum Member

Ok here is one of my favorite baseball trivia questions of all time. Since the MVP award has been handed out there have been 10 back to back winners. I will give you one because by winning he made this question a little less interesting. Frank Thomas.

Of the remaining 9, there is one for every position in the field. I have counted the outfield as just 1 position with 3 players.
Who are they?

C: ?
1b: ?
2nd: ?
SS: ?
3rd: ?
Of: ?
P: ?

Some are pretty obvious, some not so obvious, let's hear your guesses. By the way, no cheating and running to your Ken James baseball almanac.

Old 04-15-2002, 09:06 PM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

in 1987, what player had:
37 homeruns
50 steals
in spite of missing 33 games due to injury
(only played 129)

the guy almost definitely would have been the first 40-40 man.. and would have had a shot at being a 50-50 guy
Old 04-15-2002, 09:06 PM   #30
grbh
Platinum Member

Correct, and yea nobody did in the 80s, Fielder hit 50, but it think that was 90, or 91. I think the high for the 80s was 44 by Tony Armas.

Old 04-15-2002, 09:10 PM   #31
grbh
Platinum Member

Thinking, OK I know Jack Clark put up a big year around then, but he couldn't have stolen the bases.

I know Dale Murphy could steal a base on you, and did the 30/30 thing a couple times. 50 though is too high for him, and i think his numbers were on the decline by then. Still thinking.

Old 04-15-2002, 09:16 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

that's a near impossible question
hmm...let me think
yogi berra
mickey mantle
ernie banks
roger maris
dale murphy
mike schmidt
joe morgan..

i can't really think of anyone else right now
Old 04-15-2002, 09:17 PM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

actually, 1987 was the murph's best home run year..44 i think

and i think andre dawson hit around 47-49 that year
Old 04-15-2002, 09:29 PM   #34
grbh
Platinum Member

Huh, I was thinking he was starting to fade by then, obviously a couple years off. Forgot about Dawson, I think he had 49 that year.

Still can't think of the 37/50 guy. A hint might help.

The other two on the MVP list are more difficult. I will give you one because nobody ever gets it. Hal Newhouser. As for the 1st basemen it is tough but possible to get.

Two hints, go way back, and he has 500 homers.

Old 04-15-2002, 09:33 PM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

jimmie foxx
Old 04-15-2002, 09:35 PM   #36
grbh
Platinum Member

Yep, its kind of an interesting question of course Frak Thomas ruined it, but for some time it was 9 players and 9 positions. Nice work with Maris, a lot of people don't get that, Fox is a tough one, and I've never seen anyone get Newhouser. I think you would have to be an absolute baseball guru to know that.

Old 04-15-2002, 09:40 PM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

of course, i was thinking of pitchers like walter johnson..maybe bob gibson, dizzy dean.... but, i knew it wasn't either of those guys...
i might have gotten it 10-15 years ago when i was really a trivia nut.. but, you got me on this one..

ever figure my question out?
Old 04-15-2002, 09:49 PM   #38
grbh
Platinum Member

I am sure I could if I cheated, but instead of looking, how about a hint?

Old 04-15-2002, 09:51 PM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

i believe his career ended at the end of last year...as far as i know

yeah..i'm sure i could have come up with newhouser as well..but, it's no fun that way
Old 04-15-2002, 10:00 PM   #40
grbh
Platinum Member

I got nothing, I guess I will need more help than that.