Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-23-2001, 10:26 AM   #1
Jordan23TX

Jordan23TX is on a distinguished road

Im a fan of this guy....& I believe he is the key to the Mavericks offense. The are touting the Combo of Nash/Dirk to be the next Stockton & Malone. But one of the key elements to the success of these 2 Hall of Famers is their dedication to the weight room. Especially, Karl ..he takes a month off each summer to go to Arkansas to run hills in the intense heat,,, pulling tires etc. With all that said, this summer is the Goodwill Games. Would it be upsetting to you guys if NASH plays for the Canadian National team? This will take about 6 weeks out of the summer so he can compete for his home country. Personally, I would like to see him work on his body in the weightroom. He's missed 11 games this year & maybe some more. Somehow he is going to have to become more reliable & it begins in the summer.
Old 03-23-2001, 11:01 AM   #2
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

i don't want to poll steve nash..i don't know about anyone else.

well, i think part of steve's injury problems comes down to the fact that he goes diving after every loose ball..he's everywhere..driving inside getting pounded in the land of the giants..i thin it takes a toll on players.

i would like to see him get some rest this summer...yes, stay in shape..but he needs to take a break from the game of b-ball
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 11:22 AM   #3
Jordan23TX

I wanted my original post to include a poll askin whether or not you guys thought he should play in the goodwill games. But it didnt work out... DJ is there still a way to add the Yes or No poll??
Old 03-23-2001, 11:23 AM   #4
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

the canadian team helped out his confidence, but I agree it really has hurt his durability. I wouldn't mind if he took some time off as well. He won't though, he cares too much about Canada and helping out basketball in his country. You have to respect him for that.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 11:25 AM   #5
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

You can only add a poll when you first start the thread.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 02:12 PM   #6
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Does anyone know how much time Nash would put in if he played in the Goodwill Games? Other than resigning Finley, I think the single most important thing for the Mavs preparing for next year (barring some pie-in-the-sky blockbuster to bring in Webber, Carter, etc) is to improve Nash's health--preferably with rest and some training on those hamstrings.

Despite his patriotic feelings, I think there is still a good chance he might skip the Games. When you read his quotes, it's clear that while he doesn't regret the Olympics at all (and shouldn't) that he does realize that all that playing is taking it out of him--I doubt he wants to go Olympics-NBA Season-Goodwill Games-NBA Season.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 06:32 PM   #7
thirdbse

thirdbse is on a distinguished road

I think the goodwill games are minor leagues to most of the stars.
a time to look at the supporting cast.
Nash needs to get on the weights. Although with the Spice Baby. rest is out of the question. he needs to go ahead an tear that up.
thirdbse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 06:42 PM   #8
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think his playing for the Canadian national team helps his game, but endangers his health... That said, I don't know if he would be player he has been this year without his Summer play... I think it is not a bad thing for him to continue...
Old 03-24-2001, 08:43 AM   #9
Jordan23TX

DALLAS MORNING NEWS......reports some of the same issues regarding his durability & reliability. Steve all but admitted his injuries are related to the extended season ie (Olympics etc). So imagine how pissed Im gonna be if he decides he wants to compete in the GoodWill games & we have to go through this all over again next year....He needs to rest , then hit the weights this summer...
Old 03-26-2001, 03:33 PM   #10
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

if he does that we package him to Canada with Findawg for Carter since thats where his heart is anyway. Toronto could justify Carter leaving if it wasn't for Nash anyway.
Old 03-26-2001, 03:35 PM   #11
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

i meant to say, the only basketball fans in Toronto who could forgive them getting rid of Carter would be Steve Nash fans ... oh wait thats everybody in Canada and me.
Old 03-26-2001, 09:48 PM   #12
derek harper

derek harper is on a distinguished road

looking back on the trade:
nash
finley to dallas for kidd (just talking about the players left) i think the mavs won by alot.
derek harper is offline   Reply With Quote