Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I grew up on Godzilla movies so I do think I probably held it to a higher standard. I probably would have liked it more if I was that age again.

**SPOILER**

Few things that bugged me...

What bothered me was the lack of elements. I loved in old Godzilla movies that no matter how futile it was that tanks, howitzers, and jets still put in a good fight. This movie helicopters just flew around doing nothing. And no Jets, Tanks or anything. Even in the beginning of the movie they said they took down a monster with just those since they had no choice at that point. But later on, only the robots and people in them fought.

Also, did we need another "end of the world" movie? Plenty of big monster movies, including that awful Emmerich Godzilla, weren't about the end of the world. The original Godzilla was also not about the end of the world. We've seen that played out a zillion times now. Funny that Longhorn said his friend thought it was the best movie since Independence day since the very end of Rim was basically the same ending.
**PACIFIC RIM SPOILERS**

I wasn't too bugged by that, but I've become used to the military/police/government acting like bumbling idiots in these movies... I mean, every soldier left their post to clap for the hero right after the second fight, which even the dumbest soldier wouldn't do. Hollywood, man, Hollywood.

Plus, it would make for too much chaos, visually, if the entire military joined the jaegers in the fight.

I actually had a bigger problem with our hero saying that he had an "analog" jaeger because it was nuclear powered, even though all the instruments were clearly digital... I mean, what the hell is a "digital" power source, anyway? Doesn't matter, since EMPs don't affect power sources directly - they affect electronics/microprocessors. You'd have to be 100% mechanical and gas (or steam) powered to get around that.

But I don't watch popcorn flicks for good science or logical character motivation, so whatever...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-14-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote