Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 02-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #441
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I don’t think it’s that black and white. Players aren’t going to not sign here because Harrison Barnes got some rest days or JJB didn’t play in the 2nd half of a meaningless February game. They likely wouldn’t even know the difference. Doing the right thing in their instance is almost like doing it in a vacuum. Our “culture” hasn’t tangibly benefited us in any significant way since 2011. What we’ve seen is that star players want to play with other star players. More significantly their buddies. Which made it harder for us to lure another star to play with Dirk. Do the players all know that RC is one of the best coaches and that Cuban is a “cool dude”. Of course. But these star types make their own rules. If Westbrook and George want Donovan gone he’s gone tmrw.

The best way to lure a future star FA is to lose this season as much as humanly possible and have two young foundation pieces for 2020 or 2022 or whenever it is that we have a legit shot at the superstar FA. That or have the assets to trade for him.

If everyone is on the same page there are subtle ways to tank. We don’t have to bench all the vets. I think they have to two strong personalities and a yes man in charge. It’s lead to a series of mistakes and half measures.
I just don't get how you guys can be so butthurt about winning 1 game to a team that's legitimately worse than us after a 5-game losing streak... How would we have lost this game? Sit Barea more?? He shot 2-12 and had 3 TOs... I mean, we STARTED Dwight Powell -- that's a strong tank move right there... Motley was a DNP, but I don't see how playing him would have hurt us... Literally the only thing we could have done to make ourselves worse would be to bench Barnes for McRoberts, and there's absolutely nothing subtle about that.

The truth is that there's not a damn thing the coach, owner, or GM could have done to drop that game... And if you don't think they're doing everything within their power to lose games this season, then ask yourself why Noel can't get any burn when he's the best center on the roster (we let Odom play through worse)... Or why Curry is STILL out when his injury was only supposed to sideline him for a couple weeks... Honestly, this team probably has no business getting a top-5 pick in the draft, but here we are at #4 with the ASB right around the corner.

We're gonna win a couple here and there, no point in getting bent out of shape about it -- it's not like we're gonna close out the season on a 30-game losing streak.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-04-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #442
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Mark Cuban can't do anything about players wanting to win...

And it's not like you can bench all the vets without a good reason either...
Cuban can force a trade, cut a guy, call up Motley. There's a ton that Mark Cuban can do.

"You can't bench vets without a good reason" So, what were the Kings doing 3 weeks ago when they sat 2 of the following players George Hill, Vince Carter, Zach Randolph, or Garrett Temple for every game?

"Or no veteran free agents will want to sign here" Maybe drafting Luka Doncic instead of Mikal Bridges is more valuable than veteran free agents.

Least of all, Barea had an oblique injury. If the Mavs were smart, they would of kept him out of the Sacramento game.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #443
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
Cuban can force a trade, cut a guy, call up Motley. There's a ton that Mark Cuban can do.

"You can't bench vets without a good reason" So, what were the Kings doing 3 weeks ago when they sat 2 of the following players George Hill, Vince Carter, Zach Randolph, or Garrett Temple for every game?

"Or no veteran free agents will want to sign here" Maybe drafting Luka Doncic instead of Mikal Bridges is more valuable than veteran free agents.

Least of all, Barea had an oblique injury. If the Mavs were smart, they would of kept him out of the Sacramento game.
Motley did get called up, the Mavs are trying to make a trade, and who the hell are you going to cut? The players who are winning games for us aren't the guys you can or want to cut... Noel didn't win this for us... McRoberts didn't win this for us... And I keep hearing about Barea, but once again, he shot 2-12 and had 3 TOs -- he's not the reason we won this game.

And, yeah, Sacramento sits vets to tank -- that's why George Hill is trying to force his way out (like Boogie) and no FAs want to play for the Kings unless they're the only team left with cap space... If that's the franchise you want to model yourself after, then expect similar results.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-04-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #444
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Motley did get called up, the Mavs are trying to make a trade, and who the hell are you going to cut? The players who are winning games for us aren't the guys you can or want to cut... Noel didn't win this for us... McRoberts didn't win this for us... And I keep hearing about Barea, but once again, he shot 2-12 and had 3 TOs -- he's not the reason we won this game.

And, yeah, Sacramento sits vets to tank -- that's why George Hill is trying to force his way out and no FAs want to play for the Kings unless they're the only team left with cap space... If that's the franchise you want to model yourself after, then expect similar results.
FAs don't care about whether or not the Mavs tanked to get a top pick. JJ Redick signed with Philly this year, and they wrote the book on tanking. That's a non-issue. What will impact signing free agents is the difference between the Mavs drafting DeAndre Ayton and Wendell Carter Jr. That'll have an impact on whether DSJ re-signs with the Mavs when the time comes too.

Also, Barea had 11 assists last night. He had a big part in the Mavs comeback. Did you see the #s they showed on the telecast last night about how Powell plays with & without Barea on the floor? Barea should of sat last night.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #445
Underdog

Quote:
FAs don't care about whether or not the Mavs tanked to get a top pick. JJ Redick signed with Philly this year, and they wrote the book on tanking. That's a non-issue. What will impact signing free agents is the difference between the Mavs drafting DeAndre Ayton and Wendell Carter Jr. That'll have an impact on whether DSJ re-signs with the Mavs when the time comes too.

Also, Barea had 11 assists last night. He had a big part in the Mavs comeback. Did you see the #s they showed on the telecast last night about how Powell plays with & without Barea on the floor? Barea should of sat last night.
Do you seriously think that winning one game with 30 left is going to be the difference between getting DeAndre Ayton or Wendell Carter? We only dropped from #3 to #4, and we still suck. We were at #4 a week ago -- pretty much nothing has changed. It's not like we just went on a 10-game winning streak. Chill.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #446
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Do you seriously think that winning one game with 30 left is going to be the difference between getting DeAndre Ayton or Wendell Carter? We only dropped from #3 to #4, and we still suck. We were at #4 a week ago -- pretty much nothing has changed. It's not like we just went on a 10-game winning streak. Chill.
It's not about the win as much as it is about the Mavs showing they're not trying to tank. If they don't try to tank, then they could slide into a bad pick. I still think even if they don't try to tank they're so bad they'll end up with a top 6 pick, but even with a top 6 pick, there could be a big difference between drafting Ayton/Doncic & whoever you take at 6.

Would of been nice to lose to Sacramento too.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #447
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
I just don't get how you guys can be so butthurt about winning 1 game to a team that's legitimately worse than us after a 5-game losing streak... How would we have lost this game? Sit Barea more?? He shot 2-12 and had 3 TOs... I mean, we STARTED Dwight Powell -- that's a strong tank move right there... Motley was a DNP, but I don't see how playing him would have hurt us... Literally the only thing we could have done to make ourselves worse would be to bench Barnes for McRoberts, and there's absolutely nothing subtle about that.

The truth is that there's not a damn thing the coach, owner, or GM could have done to drop that game... And if you don't think they're doing everything within their power to lose games this season, then ask yourself why Noel can't get any burn when he's the best center on the roster (we let Odom play through worse)... Or why Curry is STILL out when his injury was only supposed to sideline him for a couple weeks... Honestly, this team probably has no business getting a top-5 pick in the draft, but here we are at #4 with the ASB right around the corner.

We're gonna win a couple here and there, no point in getting bent out of shape about it -- it's not like we're gonna close out the season on a 30-game losing streak.
I'm starting to think you didn't watch last night's game. There's a reason I posted I hate Devin Harris, JJ Barea, and Yogi Ferrell. That loss was right there for the taking last night. Through 3 quarters we allow Sacramento to shoot 64%, we're on the road, we're down by 4 going into the 4th. Carlisle could of coached us to a loss from there. Geez. We go on a 16-0 run to start the 4th???

Call a timeout. Put Devin Harris on the bench. If you've watched any Mavs basketball the last 3-4 weeks, when the Mavs are struggling, he'll come in & score a bucket or two & get them back in it. I hate him. Yogi Ferrell. Cut Yogi Ferrell. Even as Sacramento was making a late push to get back into that game last night, Yogi outworks 3 Kings for a rebound and then finds an open Mav for the assist. I hate him.

Harris, Ferrell, and Barea spell BAD NEWS for the Mavs tanking efforts. Barea could of been sat for this game with a lingering oblique issue. He shouldn't of been on the court. When Dallas starts getting out ahead, call timeout and put Harris & Ferrell on the bench. Do something. Don't just sit there & win the game. That sucks.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:04 PM   #448
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

I get the desire to tank as a fan, but no worthwhile coach or player ever plays to lose. In terms of the future, the Mavs have been lucky last year and this year that they've been bad and can bring in some young talent in the draft. We are also lucky though that we have a team that plays with heart and tries to win every game as that is a culture trait you want to nurture and keep as an organization.

Now, the front office beyond Carlisle can and should think more about what they can do to strategically tank IMO. And, maybe we'll see that in action this week.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:12 PM   #449
Underdog

Quote:
I'm starting to think you didn't watch last night's game. There's a reason I posted I hate Devin Harris, JJ Barea, and Yogi Ferrell. That loss was right there for the taking last night. Through 3 quarters we allow Sacramento to shoot 64%, we're on the road, we're down by 4 going into the 4th. Carlisle could of coached us to a loss from there. Geez. We go on a 16-0 run to start the 4th???

Call a timeout. Put Devin Harris on the bench. If you've watched any Mavs basketball the last 3-4 weeks, when the Mavs are struggling, he'll come in & score a bucket or two & get them back in it. I hate him. Yogi Ferrell. Cut Yogi Ferrell. Even as Sacramento was making a late push to get back into that game last night, Yogi outworks 3 Kings for a rebound and then finds an open Mav for the assist. I hate him.

Harris, Ferrell, and Barea spell BAD NEWS for the Mavs tanking efforts. Barea could of been sat for this game with a lingering oblique issue. He shouldn't of been on the court. When Dallas starts getting out ahead, call timeout and put Harris & Ferrell on the bench. Do something. Don't just sit there & win the game. That sucks.
So basically cut or bench all of our guards other than Dennis?

Old 02-04-2018, 11:18 PM   #450
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
So basically cut or bench all of our guards other than Dennis?
I understand the options are limited. For what it's worth, I like playing Wes Matthews. I think he's streaky & can shoot us right out of a game like he did vs PHX. That was beautiful!

You can't bench or cut all of the guards. But, you don't have to play all the veteran guards in the same game, either. Having Motley play instead of one of those 3 (Barea, Ferrell, or Harris) would of increased the Mavs chances of losing vs SAC. Also, would be nice to have Collinsworth up here for the rest of the year. I'd rather see him get those minutes, even if he led the Mavs to a win, we'd be seeing what he has. I doubt 3 years from now Barea, Farrell or Harris are still around, but Collinsworth could be if he's a player.

That said, it's over & done with. Let's just hope we see the Mavs start trying to tank some games; especially vs the rest of the teams at the bottom of the standings.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #451
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

So you're upset that our undrafted PG out hustled the other team for a rebound? I think we all want the best draft pick possible, it you can't expect a bunch of professional athletes to try and lose on purpose. It's not in their DNA. It's not in Rick's either. You also don't call a timeout when your team is on a 16-0 run. That's the other teams job.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #452
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

There really is no reason to freak out. This draft is about 7-8 deep in the elite prospect area, and I'm pretty sure the Mavs have one of those picks. It's going to be Ayton/Bagley at the 1 and 2, and then a choice of Young/Bamba/Doncic/Jackson jr/Porter. You really can't go wrong with any of those choices. Even Carter jr looks like a good pick. There will be more rising as the draft gets closer so we could be easily looking at 10 deep.

Mavs will be fine.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #453
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
So you're upset that our undrafted PG out hustled the other team for a rebound? I think we all want the best draft pick possible, it you can't expect a bunch of professional athletes to try and lose on purpose. It's not in their DNA. It's not in Rick's either. You also don't call a timeout when your team is on a 16-0 run. That's the other teams job.
Also, anyone wanting Carlisle to "coach us to a loss" objectively doesn't understand tanking.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #454
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't call it butthurt. I'm not taking their loss personally. Just disappointed. As an isolated event, no, its not a big deal to lose a game to Sac. But its part of an overall pattern in my view. We were lucky to wind up with Junior at #9. They did a terrible job tanking last season. Why believe this season will be any different? As everyone here often says, maybe we just suck. Thats fine. But if you're gonna suck, really suck.

The best way to get DSJ to buy in is to get him a star sidekick. You can cultivate his growth and a winning culture whether you win 25 games. Or 29 games. You're just more likely to get another star to pair with Junior with less wins and better pick. No one will remember the meaningless wins even a month from now. Players included.

Last edited by mac222b; 02-05-2018 at 01:03 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #455
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Also, anyone wanting Carlisle to "coach us to a loss" objectively doesn't understand tanking.
Not sure what you mean. All I've asked for is the occasional sitting of vets. Or giving them less minutes some games. No one is asking for Carlisle to intentionally throw games.

Last edited by mac222b; 02-05-2018 at 01:06 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #456
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Not sure what you mean. All I've asked for is the occasional sitting of vets. Or giving them less minutes some games. No one is asking for Carlisle to intentionally throw games.
But who are you going to put in if someone sits? With Noel, Curry, McRoberts, and DFS sidelined for various reasons, there aren't any other options than the guys we're already playing -- especially at the guard positions... Dennis and Yogi are both playing about 30 MPG, and Wes is primarily a 3 because Barnes is primarily a 4 because Powell/Kleber haven't shown consistent range and Dirk's lack of mobility has him stuck at the 5 -- so that only leaves Barea and Harris left to mop up all the remaining guard minutes... Sure, we could call up Collinsworth, but then Motley has to go back to the Legends due to limited roster space (and I get the sense that he's needed here because we're about to trade Noel and/or Mejri).

Besides, it's not like our vets are playing a ton of minutes anyway -- the only player over 25 years old who is averaging more than 25 minutes per game is Wes, and that's because he's the only guy who can play the 3 right now (you know it's bad when Devin Harris is his primary backup)... And it's not like we want to bench our Tank Commander anyway.

EDIT: looks like Barnes is out tonight, should be interesting to see what Rick does with limited options.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-05-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #457
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
There really is no reason to freak out. This draft is about 7-8 deep in the elite prospect area, and I'm pretty sure the Mavs have one of those picks. It's going to be Ayton/Bagley at the 1 and 2, and then a choice of Young/Bamba/Doncic/Jackson jr/Porter. You really can't go wrong with any of those choices. Even Carter jr looks like a good pick. There will be more rising as the draft gets closer so we could be easily looking at 10 deep.

Mavs will be fine.
I tend to agree. However, Ayton and Doncic seem to really be separating themselves from the rest of the pack.

I've heard Ayton described as better than Embiid. A guy who's body is NBA ready from day 1, can shoot from the mid range & who people think will be able to develop an NBA 3 point shot quickly. I heard one scout say the best thing about Ayton is how he can defend the pick 'n roll. He can jump out ahead of ball screens and is quick enough to recover and defend the rim. The scout called it a special skill you don't see often from very many big men & said it's a skill that makes him NBA ready right now. (Fwiw, he also said Jaren Jackson Jr excels in this area too).

Doncic is being described basically as everything Jerry Krause dreamed Toni Kukoc would be. I just can't ignore how young he is, the kind of #s he's putting up in the 2nd best league in the world at his age. It's unprecedented.

I think Ayton & Doncic are definitely worth tanking for.

Will we be able to look back at this draft 5 years from now & see several other guys teams should be "happy" with. Sure. I have a feeling Ayton & Doncic will still separate themselves. I won't be upset if we land Jaren Jackson Jr or maybe even Mo Bamba, or maybe even Trae Young. I'm not sure how I'll feel if we wind up with anyone else. Like if we get Mikal Bridges, I'll be happy that we added a usable part, a guy who provides a missing piece to the puzzle, but I'll be disappointed that a few more losses this year could of landed us a bigger piece to the puzzle.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:19 PM   #458
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I can't hold any ill will towards Yogi Ferrell for playing his best. As far as the players are concerned, they should play their best every time they're on the floor.

Carlisle is a different story, imo. Either the front office has a conversation with Carlisle about the best course for the organization, or they make moves (such as cutting Ferrell), so that he doesn't have the ammunition to effect the tank. Doesn't matter to me how they do it, just get it done. TANK.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:24 PM   #459
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Like 3 weeks ago, Willie Cauley-Stein shot 6 or 7 mid range jump shots in the 4th quarter of close game the Kings were playing. A coach not trying to tank would of pulled him before he was able to miss that many shots. Cauley-Stein has actually developed a nice mid range jump shot. I was able to see that Saturday night vs the Mavs, instead of read a play-by-play from a box score. Still Cauley-Stein's game is not shooting.

There are definitely ways to coach a team to a loss & yeah I think Carlisle should be trying to do that.

Carlisle is smart. Why does it matter if the Mavs win 26 games this year or 29?

You can say, "Oh well, you can't turn off that winning spirit. It either stays on or it doesn't". I'd argue that with 2 seconds left in the 4th qtr & your team is down by 2 pts, if a shooter misses his first free throw the objective thing to do is to try & miss the 2nd free throw on purpose to try & give yourself a better chance to win by getting the rebound. What's the difference? Aren't you suppose to try and make every free throw that you take? Or is it smarter to look at the big picture?
Old 02-05-2018, 10:12 PM   #460
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
... I keep hearing about Barea, but once again, he shot 2-12 and had 3 TOs -- he's not the reason we won this game...
A couple notes I heard today about Saturday's game with the Kings:

1) Barea was +17 for the game. The highest total for any Mavs' player

2) With Barea & Powell on the floor together the Mavs outscored the Kings 46-27

Yeah, I'd say Barea is the reason the Mavs won the game, and it pisses me off that they didn't sit him another game with his oblique injury. That's totally inexcusable!
Old 02-05-2018, 11:49 PM   #461
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Orlando with a win tonight. You run into a win every now and then...
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:53 PM   #462
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Orlando with a win tonight. You run into a win every now and then...
Huge win tonight by ORL! Especially with Aaron Gordon out. Somehow they held onto a 2 pt lead with 90 secs left in the 4th qtr vs a playoff team with all their key players healthy. Very, very nice
Old 02-05-2018, 11:58 PM   #463
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Bobby Portis is in beast mode tonight vs SAC. He's been playing well since Mirotic was moved (in particular on the boards, which we could really use the help). Disappointing we couldn't work something out to acquire him. Unfortunately, I don't think we had anything to offer CHI that would of gotten us Portis in return. Not to mention, I don't think the Bulls are one of the teams we have a relationship with for making moves.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:06 AM   #464
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Speaking of CHI vs SAC. It's SAC 89 CHI 87 with 5:45 left in the 4th qtr. With the Mavs dropping that game in SAC on Sat, I'm not even sure who to root for. I think CHI because it's more likely the Mavs fall behind SAC for worst record & might fall behind CHI too. Still really wanna root for that worst record in the league, but the Mavs seem comatose from the neck up. Doubt I can depend on them to do the smart thing anymore.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:34 AM   #465
Underdog

Quote:
Speaking of CHI vs SAC. It's SAC 89 CHI 87 with 5:45 left in the 4th qtr. With the Mavs dropping that game in SAC on Sat, I'm not even sure who to root for. I think CHI because it's more likely the Mavs fall behind SAC for worst record & might fall behind CHI too. Still really wanna root for that worst record in the league, but the Mavs seem comatose from the neck up. Doubt I can depend on them to do the smart thing anymore.
Sacramento won.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:40 AM   #466
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Sacramento won.
Let's just hope the Mavs don't join them in the Win column tonight.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:09 AM   #467
Underdog

Much ado about nothing...

Old 02-06-2018, 02:02 AM   #468
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Wow! I'm just now realizing the Lakers beat the Thunder on Sunday. I still think the Nets are in the conversation with us (they'll probably only win 1 or 2 games in February)

Nice to see that it's basically down to just a pool of 8 teams now and not 9. Makes losing to the Lakers on Saturday even more critical just to solidify the Lakers spot outside the bottom 8.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:14 AM   #469
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Tues: MEM @ ATL
Thurs: ATL @ ORL
Mon: ORL @ CHI

Who are we rooting for in these games? I kinda feel like ATL sweeping their 2 games would be pretty sweet. Also, as bad as the Cavs have been it's not inconceivable ATL could knock them off at home on Fri (although that's the 2nd night of a back to back for the Hawks). On the other hand, ORL sweeping their 2 games would be just as sweet!
Old 02-06-2018, 02:29 AM   #470
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Piggy-backing off what I said in the Mavs/LAC game thread. I really think this is going to be a tight race for worst record in the league. I eyeballed each of the bottom 8 team's remaining schedules and came up with the following projected win totals for each team:

ATL 22
SAC 24
MEM 25
PHX 25
DAL 25
ORL 26
BKN 26
CHI 28
Old 02-06-2018, 04:44 AM   #471
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I would feel a lot safer about where we end up if we would just trade jj. Love the guy, but I would rather he destroy second units for a contender than win us a handful of games that would take us out of the top 3-4 picks.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 02-06-2018 at 04:44 AM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:19 AM   #472
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I would feel a lot safer about where we end up if we would just trade jj. Love the guy, but I would rather he destroy second units for a contender than win us a handful of games that would take us out of the top 3-4 picks.
Definitely agree.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:29 AM   #473
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

I really feel like the comments Mark Cuban made, in the article linked in Underdog's post in the Mavs at the Trade Deadline thread, suggest the Mavs are very high on 1 or more prospects they think will be at the top of the draft.

I need some opinions on this because I did not follow the Mavs on a game-by-game basis late in last year's season. I only know that they finished higher in the standings. But, maybe they didn't go as hard into tank mode last year because they didn't see as big a difference between the prospects 1-5 and prospects 6-10.

With what some said in the Mavs game thread last night and Carlisle's comments after the game, plus Cuban's comments, it really seems like the Mavs are going into tank mode earlier this year. Doesn't that have to suggest they covet players at the top of this draft class?
Old 02-06-2018, 06:45 AM   #474
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
I can't find any highlight reels, but here are the highlights from the MSU game that first caught my attention (notice his super-soft touch as most of his shots early in the game hit the front of the rim, but still end up rolling into the bucket): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA8uxrTz1Tw

Range: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGByogIfJd4

Dunk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH9ikmj_hMc

Efficiency: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEHcIrXWaUc

7'2" Wingspan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gs_xzbisH0
Finally got a chance to watch these. Watched the highlights vs Michigan St & vs Penn St this year too. This guy is absolutely death & taxes as a trailing player from beyond the arc on a fast break. Really stands out in the highlights. Must be his favorite shot. He loves stepping into his shot. I feel like NBA teams will scout for that, but he's tall & has length, so he can shoot over a lot of defenders; plus, if he had a guard like DSJ who can really penetrate, it would set up so well for him.

He doesn't seem very athletic, I would call him adequate. I like his activity on defense. He needs a lot of improvement there, but he's definitely an active player. He seems mentally engaged too.

Very skilled offensively. Not a great athlete again, but definitely makes the most of what he has & really has some nice 1 on 1 moves. Seems like he's a good rebounder too.

If he could somehow fall to the Mavs with their early 2nd round pick, I'd be really happy with him. Probably looking at a handful of other guys there too. Not really sure Bates-Diop falls much past 20th though. He's in store for Big Ten Player of the Year honors, but then again that didn't do much for Draymond Green & Bates-Diop does have that stress fracture in his past. Unlikely, but we can hope he's there for us in the 2nd round. I think he's NBA ready to come in score off the bench & probably can pick up the defense within a season. He seems mentally engaged & alert. I'd venture a guess he's fairly coachable.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:00 AM   #475
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Man, this kid Jaren Jackson Jr.

He's playing 23.0 mpg this yr and averaging 3.6 bpg. Bamba is playing 30.5 mpg and averaging 4.4 bpg. If Jackson Jr were playing 30.5 mpg, he'd be averaging 4.8 bpg.

Jackson Jr's shooting percentages this year. 52.2% FG 43.3% 3PT (2.7 attempts) 78.8% FT (4.5 attempts). He gets into foul trouble too often & has too many turnovers for a big, but holy cow there's a lot to like; especially for a kid this young. You seriously gotta think he's got a real shot to be a much better prospect than Bagley III. His game is far more unique. He also could still grow!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:46 AM   #476
Underdog

Quote:
If he could somehow fall to the Mavs with their early 2nd round pick, I'd be really happy with him. Probably looking at a handful of other guys there too. Not really sure Bates-Diop falls much past 20th though. He's in store for Big Ten Player of the Year honors, but then again that didn't do much for Draymond Green & Bates-Diop does have that stress fracture in his past. Unlikely, but we can hope he's there for us in the 2nd round. I think he's NBA ready to come in score off the bench & probably can pick up the defense within a season. He seems mentally engaged & alert. I'd venture a guess he's fairly coachable.
I see Bates-Diop probably going in the 20-25 range, more of a guy to target if we end up trading for a late first... But if he's somehow there in the second, you draft him without hesitation.

Quote:
Man, this kid Jaren Jackson Jr.

He's playing 23.0 mpg this yr and averaging 3.6 bpg. Bamba is playing 30.5 mpg and averaging 4.4 bpg. If Jackson Jr were playing 30.5 mpg, he'd be averaging 4.8 bpg.

Jackson Jr's shooting percentages this year. 52.2% FG 43.3% 3PT (2.7 attempts) 78.8% FT (4.5 attempts). He gets into foul trouble too often & has too many turnovers for a big, but holy cow there's a lot to like; especially for a kid this young. You seriously gotta think he's got a real shot to be a much better prospect than Bagley III. His game is far more unique. He also could still grow!
Yeah, Jaren Jackson Jr. is starting to muddle my rankings... Not sure where I'd list him, but he's probably edging out Bamba at this point. If anything, JJJ makes me a little more confident in getting a stud if we end up slipping a bit in the draft (either due to wins or bad lottery luck).

Last edited by Underdog; 02-06-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #477
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Lottery watch - Strength of remaining schedule

6) Nets +2.0 (14th hardest schedule)
6) Grizzlies +2.0 (25th hardest schedule)
6) Bulls +1.5 (4th hardest schedule)
5) Suns +1.0 (3rd hardest schedule)
4) Kings +0.5 (12th hardest schedule)
3) Mavs === (24th hardest schedule)
2) Magic -0.5 (23rd hardest schedule)
1) Hawks -1.0 (15th hardest schedule)

28 games left

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-06-2018 at 10:16 AM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #478
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah, Jaren Jackson Jr. is starting to muddle my rankings... Not sure where I'd list him, but he's probably edging out Bamba at this point. If anything, JJJ makes me a little more confident in getting a stud if we end up slipping a bit in the draft (either due to wins or bad lottery luck).
Not to mention the exciting possibility of having two really good junior juniors to pair together.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #479
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

I can't remember exactly who said that note on... Oh yeah it was Seth Davis... I think on Chris Mannix's podcast. I usually listen to Zach Lowe & Adrian Wojnarowski's podcasts (looking forward to the next time Jonathan Givony from Draft Express is on). Anyways, Seth Davis had the note on Ayton and Jackson Jr being really exceptional at pick n roll defensive with their quickness & agility to jump out and handle guards if forced to switch but also the mobility & speed to recover on defense & protect the rim if not.

You usually don't get that kind of analysis. It's usually much more generic. Things like good rebounder, long arms plays the passing lanes, etc. But, the stuff that really matters is those little tidbits. Like if Bagley III can't do that, he'll spend a lot of time on the bench until he figures it out. Half the teams in this league are PnR offenses it seems like.

Anybody have some good recommendations for other podcasts/resources for more in-depth analysis?
Old 02-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #480
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

This was a really great read. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to have better context for what NBA front offices will be thinking at the trade deadline & next summer in free agency.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-crunch-coming

Cliffs: Teams got crazy with the contracts they handed out 2 years ago, the salary cap hasn't increased as was expected, so now most teams are stuck with unmovable contracts & it's created a seller's market.

From a Mavs' perspective. A) and this should be said up front... Not just this article but everything I've heard recently says teams aren't giving up 1st round picks. Like DeAndre Jordan isn't returning a first round pick. In fact, Wojnarowski said on Zach Lowe's most recent podcast that he thinks the Clippers would rather just let Jordan walk this summer than take on salary & a 1st round pick. That's how serious this salary bubble is in the NBA right now. So, B) we probably shouldn't expect anything to happen for the Mavs. At most maybe we sneak out a mid 2nd round pick. But, C) One of the last things said in this article (quoting a GM in the league) "... it will be hard to offload salary, and if you want to, the teams with space will probably charge high prices to take money from your books." Which means there is hope the Mavs can pull off something major because there might be a team out there desperate enough to unload salary & avoid the luxury tax next year. The Mavs are one of the few teams with plenty of salary cap space, so we might find ourselves in the rare position of getting a team to overpay to take on salary.