Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the result of the series be?
Suns in 4 0 0%
Suns in 5 3 14.29%
Suns in 6 6 28.57%
Suns in 7 3 14.29%
Mavs in 7 5 23.81%
Mavs in 6 4 19.05%
Mavs in 5 0 0%
Mavs in 4 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2022, 11:31 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default OFFICIAL 2022 Playoffs round WCSF 2 SERIES Mavs and Suns

Luka reaches the second round for the first time in his career.
Mavs have not sniffed the second round since 2011 when they won the championship

Game 1 - Monday
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2022, 11:54 PM   #2
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

This was the one matchup most of us wanted Dallas to avoid.

They simply haven't been able to beat Phoenix mainly in clutch situations because Chris Paul and Devin Booker both kill the Mavs with that midrange game.

Paul doesn't take bad shots and Luka is still learning so this could get ugly in those late 4th qtr's.

Also is anyone else worried that Ayton unlike Gobert is going to punish the Mavs inside if they go small

Powell somehow has to contribute something in the playoffs. It's been like 2-3 straight series where he's been played off the floor because he doesn't rebound well enough and those lob plays become tougher to execute in post season play.

Great series win by Dallas though because their defense for the most part was awesome.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:55 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

We will definitely see if Brunson is for real. Phoenix is a lot harder test for him than Utah
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:06 AM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Grizz are the only team left that I’m not afraid of. They’re an overachiever team

Suns and Warriors are both dangerous as hell. Really wish we got the Grizz, but it just wasn’t in the cards
Old 04-29-2022, 12:11 AM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Suns in 7. Want to believe we can beat them, but I just can't see it. And not just because of Booker and Paul. Ayton is playing really well and will cook what we have at center.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:29 AM   #6
DIRK LEGIONS

DIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to all

Suns in 6
Only way mavs win series is if booker reinjured his hammy
Ayton gonna abuse the inside he not offensive weakness like rudy.

This series is house money mavs still one player away from legit title contender need to bring everyone back plus one more legit scorer for 2nd unit to play with dimwiddle. While brunson and LUKA are on bench.
DIRK LEGIONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:49 AM   #7
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Ayton is so much better now. He’s not stationary in the paint like Gobert he will punish whoever the Mavs put down low.

Other than that I think it comes down to the 4th quarter. Suns are literally the best and the Mavs….well they haven’t learned yet how to take over a fourth. Luka especially turns the game super slow isos.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:57 AM   #8
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Suns in 5
Go Mavs!
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 01:04 AM   #9
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Suns in 7. Want to believe we can beat them, but I just can't see it. And not just because of Booker and Paul. Ayton is playing really well and will cook what we have at center.
I wonder if the Mavs can get away with playing zone more this series.

Matchup wise I want to see this when they aren't playing zone.

Luka on Crowder
Bullock on Paul
DFS on Booker
Brunson on Bridges (He has some familiarity with him from college)
Kleber on Ayton (powell can use his 6 fouls)

The good thing is defensively Ayton isn't as good as Gobert so the lops to Powell might work a little better this series.

I'm leaning towards the Suns but I need to go back and watch the 3 games they played this year.

I booked tickets for game 2 so I'll probably get into with a drunk Suns fans at the game.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:52 AM   #10
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing I haven’t seen mentioned is that the Mavs got away a couple of games with shooting badly. They can’t have that happen and have a chance of winning the series.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:09 AM   #11
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

The Suns starters are a much better version of the Jazz starters:

CP3 > Conley
Booker > Mitchell
Ayton > Gobert
Crowder > O'Neale
Bridges > Bogdanovic

That being said, Mavs definitely have the benefit of depth. We will need to wear them out to have a chance. It's nice not to have expectations!
Old 04-29-2022, 10:14 AM   #12
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

After watching the Suns vs. Pelicans game last night, I have concluded the Mavs win in 7. CP3 literally did not miss a shot the entire game (14-14 from the field and 4-4 FTs) and Ayton went 10-12 FGs. Despite those stellar performances, the Suns eeked out a win in the final minute or so. I realize Booker is coming back from an injury (he played 32 minutes) and was a rusty, but the Pelicans defense had the Suns a bit discombobulated. Mavs can win this series with great defense as long as Ayton doesn't go off for 20+ game. The hole in the middle (in other words Powell) is the biggest problem.

Last edited by purplefrog; 04-29-2022 at 10:14 AM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 11:07 AM   #13
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the biggest problem is we won't have an answer for CP3. The dude is annoying as fuck and I don't ever want him to succeed because he's dirty and a grimey little trickster...but he's crafty. If we just lock everyone else down, keep 3s to a minimum and let him go off, it might keep them from clicking as a unit.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 01:14 PM   #14
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I think the biggest problem is we won't have an answer for CP3. The dude is annoying as fuck and I don't ever want him to succeed because he's dirty and a grimey little trickster...but he's crafty. If we just lock everyone else down, keep 3s to a minimum and let him go off, it might keep them from clicking as a unit.
Time to deploy Frankie Smokes. Maybe his length can disrupt CP3 a bit.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:09 PM   #15
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

So with us reaching the second round I wonder where THJ is in his recovery. He’s been out on the court shooting, but I’m not sure if he’s been cleared for contact? Is he just done for the year? Not saying I want him to come back, but just curious.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:28 PM   #16
washedklean77

washedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
So with us reaching the second round I wonder where THJ is in his recovery. He’s been out on the court shooting, but I’m not sure if he’s been cleared for contact? Is he just done for the year? Not saying I want him to come back, but just curious.
I've been wondering about this as well. A foot injury tends to constrain conditioning so we may not see him at all this post season. Which, in my opinion, isn't a terrible thing since he plays well about every 3rd or 4th game that he plays. (and you can't afford that in a 7 game series)

Limit the turnovers and shoot the ball well from three will be the competitive recipe in this series.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:02 PM   #17
Melonhead
Guru

What a shitty schedule. Game every other day and in Dallas, game 3 is at 8:30, game 4 is 2:30, less than 48 hours rest
Old 04-29-2022, 09:13 PM   #18
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
In two of the playoff games off the top of my head, CP went off in the fourth quarter carrying the suns to wins. He also went 14/14 last night. It’s not as simple as let him go off since he’s the pg
Old 04-29-2022, 10:35 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
What a shitty schedule. Game every other day and in Dallas, game 3 is at 8:30, game 4 is 2:30, less than 48 hours rest
Probably affects old man Paul more than us.

At 36 he doesn’t recover as quickly and is more likely to be injured
Old 04-30-2022, 08:16 AM   #20
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
In two of the playoff games off the top of my head, CP went off in the fourth quarter carrying the suns to wins. He also went 14/14 last night. It’s not as simple as let him go off since he’s the pg
Its definitely not a simple process. I just don't think we meet to be doubling him all thr time to get the ball out of his hands. They have too many others who can knock down shots and he will find them.

Old 04-30-2022, 09:17 PM   #21
BPo001
Diamond Member

Brad Townsend: Kidd, asked about Tim Hardaway Jr.’s potential to play in this series, says Hardaway hasn’t even been cleared to run. “Right now he’s not playing.” – via Twitter townbrad
Old 04-30-2022, 09:20 PM   #22
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Brad Townsend: Kidd, asked about Tim Hardaway Jr.’s potential to play in this series, says Hardaway hasn’t even been cleared to run. “Right now he’s not playing.” – via Twitter townbrad
THJ is this year's Caron Butler...except I really liked Butler.

Old 05-01-2022, 12:37 AM   #23
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
THJ is this year's Caron Butler...except I really liked Butler.
Holy shit, that means the Mavs are winning the title this year!!!
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:29 AM   #24
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Holy shit, that means the Mavs are winning the title this year!!!
Yep. Just gotta have 2011 Tyson Chandler suit up, then we got this.

Old 05-01-2022, 11:07 AM   #25
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Another similarity

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...d-round-series
20 critics choose Suns. None choose Mavs

https://ibb.co/wcCms42
20 critics choose Lakers. None choose Mavs
Old 05-01-2022, 11:40 AM   #26
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Another similarity

My recollection is that none of the experts predicted the Mavs would win any round in 2011, except maybe Portland in round 1. They were still expecting a Lakers comeback when they were down 3-0, and predicting the Heat would win, even when they were down 3-2.

I'm not saying these Mavs are championship quality. But we really don't know how good this team is. They almost beat the Suns twice early without Luka, and have not played them since the trade. The current Mavs are good enough, they could have beaten Utah had Doncic never even played. They were 2 missed free throws and 1 bad call away from beating the Jazz 4-1.

Say what you will about Luka iso's at the end of games, but this team has been pretty solid in crunch time. I hope to see JB handle the ball more, just to wear CP3 down.

But the key here is in the shooting. Spence and Maxi can go cold at any time, but they can also get hot. If the threes are falling, the Suns will fall, too.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:44 PM   #27
Dallas41
Diamond Member

I went back and watched like 6 games over the last two seasons between the Suns and Mavs. Hard to believe it but Phoenix has won like 10 straight games vs Dallas.

The thing that always stick outs like a few others pointed out already is that Phoenix always seems to turn it on vs Dallas in the 4th Qtr's.

The key to this series IMO will be finding someone to compete with C.Paul and D.Booker defensively in the 4th qtr's where they have owned Dallas.

The Mavs like to run teams off the 3-PT line but the Suns are the best team in the NBA in mid range shooting because of Paul/Booker. Those shots are bad shots for most teams but not Phoenix they love hunting for mid range shots.

DFS has not been a good matchup defensively on Paul. So instead if I'm Dallas I would try to switch it up and give Bullock a shot on Paul while DFS matches up more with Booker.

I think you can hide Brunson or Luka on Crowder which saves their legs on offense. But one of them will still have to deal with Bridges or Cam Johnson.

Having said that living in Phoenix I get to see most of their games and I believe the Mavs can win this series but they are going to need to protect the ball and play smart in crunch times. They can't get sucked into these Luka Iso's late in games because Phoenix is too good defensively.

I can't believe I'm going to say this but I think the Mavs will find away to stop Ayton from dominating our big's. KP and Maxi actually faired well vs him at times in those 6 games I watched. Now granted KP isn't here anymore but Maxi should be able to hold up for about 20-24 MPG vs him.

I'm taking Dallas in 6 because I think they will find away to steal a game in Phoenix and that will give them a huge confidence boost to get that monkey off their backs when it comes to beating Phoenix. I predicted DFS would have a huge defensive IMPACT in the 1st round. This time I'm taking Bullock and Maxi because I think those two guys will have some game changing moments defensively late in games doing this series.

I also want to mention that I expect Josh Green to play much better in this series. I know some fans are down on him after 1st round but for some reason I think in this series when Dallas goes small he's going to make an impact in a few games.

Last edited by Dallas41; 05-01-2022 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:32 AM   #28
BPo001
Diamond Member

These 9 PM tip offs are killing me.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:13 AM   #29
SMC0007
Guru

Today we literally have a chance to begin the sweep of Phx. Just sayin

Last edited by SMC0007; 05-02-2022 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:03 AM   #30
SMC0007
Guru

Let's go Tap...start us off right!

Old 05-02-2022, 10:21 AM   #31
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Would be interesting to me the won/loss record of "player" Jason Kidd vs Chris Paul.
I'm sure he has a unique perspective on his abilities and tendencies.
Looking forward to this series - and for the record I can't stand Chris Paul.
dirt_dobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:27 AM   #32
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I also want to mention that I expect Josh Green to play much better in this series. I know some fans are down on him after 1st round but for some reason I think in this series when Dallas goes small he's going to make an impact in a few games.
HUGE key for me in this series is Josh Green. He will provide tremendously helpful minutes in the rotation if he can simply knock down some threes and/or provide some dribble penetration leading to his best skill set outside of defense and hustle...PASSING. We already know he will provide some rangy and quick defense to help against CP/Booker, but how can he stay on the floor is the question.

Come on Josh Green...break on out!
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:38 AM   #33
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

Having said that living in Phoenix I get to see most of their games and I believe the Mavs can win this series but they are going to need to protect the ball and play smart in crunch times. They can't get sucked into these Luka Iso's late in games because Phoenix is too good defensively.
Jealous of the phoenix location. Game 1,2,5 doesnt fall on the weekend for me otherwise I'd fly over.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:54 AM   #34
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
HUGE key for me in this series is Josh Green. He will provide tremendously helpful minutes in the rotation if he can simply knock down some threes and/or provide some dribble penetration leading to his best skill set outside of defense and hustle...PASSING. We already know he will provide some rangy and quick defense to help against CP/Booker, but how can he stay on the floor is the question.

Come on Josh Green...break on out!
Would be huge for him to provide something on offense...

on defense, i hope the refs give him at least a fair shake. Too many times he plays great defense and the offense gets bailed out by some BS foul call just for holding his ground.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:09 AM   #35
Dallas41
Diamond Member

If these was ever a series Powell needs to earn that 11 Million contract it's this one. Gobert is much bigger than Ayon and better at protecting the rim. Ayton has warps in PNR defense so Powell needs to excel at a high level this series on offense.

Mavs can't afford to have Powell get played off the floor like he was vs both the Clippers and Jazz.

Also MMB had a interesting on take Kleber

Paging Maxi Kleber
After hitting 14 of 18 threes in games 2 and 3, Maxi Kleber reverted to his mean hard in games 4, 5, and 6 hitting just two of 10 while also passing up a ton of shots. It didn’t bite the Mavericks, because the Jazz were a limited team but in order to beat the Suns, Maxi is going to have to contribute to the offense.

I’m more looking for decisiveness than I am a point total. He’s skittish with the ball and other teams know it. But he shouldn’t be, because Maxi Kleber is a pretty good basketball player who just needs to get his confidence up and have it stay there.

Last edited by Dallas41; 05-02-2022 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:45 AM   #36
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Crazy thing is that Kleber had one good game, three bad games, and two absolutely supernaturally good games and now has a playoff average of 52% from three.

First playoffs - 19% from three
last year - 40% from three
This year (so far) - 52% from three

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-02-2022 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:13 AM   #37
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Another similarity

Came here to say the biggest similarity is that the two series had virtually the exact same schedule for all seven games, down to the day/night start times, the day of the week, and even the day of the month!
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:35 AM   #38
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Came here to say the biggest similarity is that the two series had virtually the exact same schedule for all seven games, down to the day/night start times, the day of the week, and even the day of the month!
Welp we know now that the Mavs aren't getting a sweep though
Old 05-03-2022, 01:25 AM   #39
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I wanna relate to the optimism I see from some people, but I can't. The Suns are just better than the Mavericks. A lot better. Teams that win 64 games usually are a lot better than teams that win 52 games. It's not a knock on the Mavs either, because I think Phoenix is by far and away the best team in the league, and can only be stopped from winning the title by injury. No shame in being beaten by the best.

This is why it sucks so much that we missed that 3rd seed, because I do think we could take Memphis.

Oh well, regardless of what happens in this series, I think the season has been a resounding success. I HATED the Kidd hire, and I could not be happier to be wrong about it. Hell, this is the second time Jason Kidd has made me eat crow, because I hated when we traded for him all the way back in 2008.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 01:36 PM   #40
SMC0007
Guru

I'm not a fan of this guy overall....but imagine THJ getting some of these open looks Green and a cpl others are getting. Not having him is pretty big in a series where the margins are so thin. Not saying he's Caron Butler or our team is as balanced as it was in 2011 but the loss of THJ is noticeable. Especiallywhen he wouldn't be relied upon so heavily like previous years...which so happens to be when he performs his best.