Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 12-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #121
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

The barrel scene was very well done, except for those weird random gopro camera shots.

In fact, I was surprise by the number of times I was taken out of the film due to sub-par effects. Effects were great in some areas, and yet in others, the green screen was painfully obvious.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #122
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

The Hobbit Trilogy : Lord of the Rings :: The Prequels : Episodes IV-VI
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #123
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I've been off and on for the last 4 years, so I don't know what's going on around here anymore. But for 2013, I really enjoyed Gravity and Frozen.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #124
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought the second Hobbit was solid. I'll probably see it again in the theaters. It's definitely more playful and a bit more kid focused than the LOTR movies.. and not quite in the same league. But, yeah, it was enjoyable. There are instances where you do think that the special effects just don't work..They are few, but surprising considering how absolutely lifelike 99% of it is.

I suppose The Hobbit is like Dirk putting up a 20 point game while shooting 8 of 16 from the field.. knocking down 2-2 from the line and hitting 2 3pointers. It's solid... very, very respectable and well done. However, he's obviously capable of better.

With Peter Jackson, he's obviously capable of better, but that does not mean that this isn't a good movie.. quite the opposite. It's a good movie that might appear to be only average because of what he has done in the past with LOTR.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #125
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

12 Years a Slave- Great. One of the best movies of the year. Has a Paul Thomas Anderson feel about it and shows all of the nuances of the Slave Era.

American Hustle- Slightly disappointed actually. The pacing was off and it was long. Good acting, style, and a "fun" mentality keep it a recommendation to see. Just don't expect a masterpiece.

Saving Mr. Banks- Pleasantly surprised with this one. A rare Disney movie for adults. It's definitely sappy, and still a Disney movie, but good and rightly emotional.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #126
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

The Wolf of Wall Street - I liked it as sort of a thinking man's version of Old School, but I'm not a big DiCaprio fan.

American Hustle - The best movie I saw this year. Speaking of leading men, Bradley Cooper is becoming a can't-miss actor... amazing that he used to be in movies like Wedding Crashers and Failure to Launch.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #127
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Wedding Crashers was awesome...
The same can be said about Matthew McCaughneheyeyey or however you spell it.. He is an amazing actor when he decides to take good roles.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #128
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Wedding Crashers was awesome...
The same can be said about Matthew McCaughneheyeyey or however you spell it.. He is an amazing actor when he decides to take good roles.
Agreed... I think Matthew McConaughey is legitimately one of the 5 or 6 best actors alive. He's just incredible when he turns it on. I thought he was the highlight of that movie, even for the brief time he was on screen. McConaughey and Kyle Chandler both took Leo to school during their scenes together.

Last edited by spreedom; 12-29-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #129
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Desolation of Smaug- Totally awesome. I love a kid's action movie that doesn't treat you like an idiot. Sure, the story is somewhat hollow and action sometimes cartoony but who cares? The Smaug scenes were spectacular. He was done perfectly.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #130
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Inside Llewyn Davis- Pretty disappointed in this one. I just have trouble following an extremely unlikable protagonist for an hour and forty five minutes even if that was the point of the movie.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #131
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Desolation of Smaug- Totally awesome. I love a kid's action movie that doesn't treat you like an idiot. Sure, the story is somewhat hollow and action sometimes cartoony but who cares? The Smaug scenes were spectacular. He was done perfectly.
Totally agree. Great movie that did everything right, and that's coming from a nerd who read the Hobbit five times before 7th grade and grew up with the cheesy 1977 version.

I was dreading the barrel scene, but it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable parts of the movie. silly but great.

Smaug was done perfectly and Erabor was exactly what my 5th grade mind imagined.

Not an Academy Award nominee by any stretch, but entertaining from beginning to end and loyal enough to the source material, despite adding the characters.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #132
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Totally agree. Great movie that did everything right, and that's coming from a nerd who read the Hobbit five times before 7th grade and grew up with the cheesy 1977 version.

I was dreading the barrel scene, but it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable parts of the movie. silly but great.

Smaug was done perfectly and Erabor was exactly what my 5th grade mind imagined.

Not an Academy Award nominee by any stretch, but entertaining from beginning to end and loyal enough to the source material, despite adding the characters.
It is kinda strange the amount of flack these movies get by Tolkien "purists" or by some who grew up reading the book. My brother hates these movies(A Hobbit fanatic), and I just can't pinpoint why. Sure, stretching the story out into three movies has flaws, but people just aren't realistic in disliking that when each movie can rake in close to a billion dollars worldwide. And there are pluses to seeing middle earth more grounded with less in your face action like LOTR.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #133
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I never read the book, but I didn't think the Dragon was all that interesting at all.

Its not like Bilbo and Smaug have an interesting conversation. I was expecting the same kind of intensity that the "Riddles in the Dark" section of the first movie brought...but imo it fell far short of that.

Smaug looked and sounded amazing...I just wish he would have said something interesting to say/do.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #134
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Rewatched "The Wolverine" again. Not bad at all. Jackman really gets the essence of the character.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 AM   #135
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
The Wolf of Wall Street - I liked it as sort of a thinking man's version of Old School, but I'm not a big DiCaprio fan.

American Hustle - The best movie I saw this year. Speaking of leading men, Bradley Cooper is becoming a can't-miss actor... amazing that he used to be in movies like Wedding Crashers and Failure to Launch.
I watched the wolf of wall street on the plane this weekend... NOT an appropriate movie if there are kids around ha

Contact Me
Old 02-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #136
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

The Wolf of Wallstreet- Fun and funny, but way too long.

Nebraska- Depressing, but has a touching payoff at the end. I like Payne's style a lot.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #137
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Been watching a bunch of movies lately.

Lego Movie- Amazingly good. Very entertaining popcorn movie with beautiful visuals, a nice twist, and some good performances (Morgan Freeman, Will Arnett, Will Ferrell and a ton of cameos like Jonah Hill)

Robot and Frank - 2012, but one of my favorite movies of late. Very cute story about robots and humans living together and family dynamics.

Her - Pretty good. Great performance by Jaoquin Phoenix. Really interesting idea.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #138
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

^I forgot I watched Her as well. Agreed that it was pretty good, but it sorta falls apart in the 3rd act. Pretty realistic sci-fi film though.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #139
alby
Guru

Monuments Men: Two thumbs down.

Contact Me
Old 02-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #140
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Monuments Men: Two thumbs down.
the best review I've heard, "just like the paintings in the film, Monuments Men is beautiful but paper-thin. "

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-10-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #141
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
the best review I've heard, "just like the paintings in the film, Monuments Men is beautiful but paper-thin. "
That's deep.. very deep. Thank you for your contribution.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:06 AM   #142
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Inside Llewyn Davis - I knew this would be right up my alley. I still need to see it again, because it is a slow burner of a movie. Very subtle in what it has to say, and a lot of people who see it will pretty much miss it entirely.

Lee Daniels' The Butler - Quite possibly the opposite of Inside Llewyn Davis. Hits you over the head with a hammer to tell you what it has to say. It would have theoretically been right up my alley, but I found it difficult to deal with considering the lack of subtlety or real texture to it. Plus the presidents. Ugh, the presidents.

Lego Movie - Everything is awesome, pretty much.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 02-11-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #143
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

This is what i'm most excited for in 2014 Summer movies:

Old 02-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #144
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

^inspired by the Beatles song,"Rocky Raccoon".

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #145
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I really like the cast of Guardians. Chris Pratt and Lee Pace are two of my favorite actors.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #146
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

That trailer was just fun. I think Marvel is taking the right tone with this. If the source material is not widely known, make it look like a fun, enjoyable movie. I think this is going to be a hit.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #147
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I really like the cast of Guardians. Chris Pratt and Lee Pace are two of my favorite actors.
Yeah, Lee Pace isn't even featured in the trailer. So they managed to pull off a successful, intriguing trailer without even revealing the central enemy.

This quote from the director (James Gunn) is hilarious, and that sense of humor makes me want to see the movie even more:

Quote:
There is no doubt that the cinematic pinnacle of my career is our cameras circling around a maniacal raccoon shooting a machine gun on the back of a living tree.

And I say this with as much modesty as I can muster – because certainly it is not me, but the hand of God guiding us all as we make this film – but it just may be the pinnacle of cinema in general.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #148
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
That trailer was just fun. I think Marvel is taking the right tone with this. If the source material is not widely known, make it look like a fun, enjoyable movie. I think this is going to be a hit.
Basically how I feel. The source material isn't well-suited for a mainstream audience, but they seem to be having fun with the characters and hopefully we'll see a lot of Rocket Raccoon/Groot.

I'm not sure I would have had any hope for this movie a few years ago, but movies like the Avengers and Thor (and even the Thor sequel) proved that Marvel can do campy and silly right and make an enjoyable popcorn movie.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #149
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I'm have mixed feelings about the new Spiderman. Certainly looks better than the last one, but I kinda just wished they would skip right to the Sinister 6 movie. Also cool that Kurtzman is writing Venom as well.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #150
alby
Guru

1. Thought robocop was pretty good.
2. Lego was too hyped for me.

Contact Me
Old 02-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #151
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

The Lone Survivor- Wow...thought this movie was terrible. I didn't really have high expectations either. Bad acting, bad dialogue, OK action, crappy cinematography, poorly casted (Emile Hirsch as a special ops soldier...really?), 0 character development etc. etc.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #152
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
1. Thought robocop was pretty good.
2. Lego was too hyped for me.
Agree with you in Lego movie. It was way hyped, and ultimately was just OK.

The visuals were amazing - everything, down to single water drops, was made from Legos. But the story was just Meh, and only got a few real laughs from me. I don't regret seeing it by any means, but certainly did not live up to the hype.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #153
Murphy3
Guru

I thought The Lego Movie was solid...very solid movie..
Old 02-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #154
Murphy3
Guru

I also enjoyed Lone Survivor...wasn't a perfect movie, but definitely liked it.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #155
alby
Guru

Her was just plain weird... I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends.

Contact Me
Old 02-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #156
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rape! Murder! It's just a shot away!

Two documentary recommendations:

1) Twenty Feet From Stardom - to learn something new about something you've probably heard for much of your life (the role of backing vocalists on classic hits)

2) An Unreal Dream: The Michael Morton Story- to learn something new about something you've probably heard for much of your life if you live near Austin (judicial corruption in Williamson County)
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #157
spreedom
Diamond Member

Old 04-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #158
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

It's not 2013 anymore, nor is it summer... But I shall say:

New Captain America - possibly best Marvel movie yet - at least tied with Avengers. Avengers was more fun, but the action in this was amazing. Great plot/story as well.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #159
Murphy3
Guru

I had a very short open window of time to go see a movie.. My only option was Noah. It has been years since I had walked out of a movie. I walked out of Noah. It was absolutely terrible.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:58 PM   #160
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

I've been watching all the Best Picture nominees this year. Liked Twelve Years a Slave, Gravity, Nebraska, and Dallas Buyers Club. Didn't care for American Hustle or Wolf of Wall Street. Still waiting on Philomena and Her.