Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-18-2018, 11:04 AM   #1681
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

https://twitter.com/DXContent/status/997502518639976448

I like it. Projects as a better defending LaMarcus Aldridge or Myles Turner type. Maybe somewhere in between on their offensive games, given JJJ's ability to knock down 3 pointers.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2018, 11:16 AM   #1682
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
Go back to the comments Pre injury. He was NOT the unanimous number 1 pick. He had major hype going for him very early on (3 years ago). I would agree that he was in the conversation for number 1 pick and a consensus top 5.
He absolutely was unanimous 1st for a time -- at least with DraftXpress, nbadraft.net, and ESPN

Not saying it lasted into the NCAA season, but he was projected #1 across the board for a while.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-18-2018 at 11:19 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #1683
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

We need a #1 scorer on this team worse than anything else... Rim protection is fantastic, but getting another Tyson doesn't mean squat until we get another Dirk... At #5, Porter is probably the only player that has 25 PPG potential. If our medical staff signs off on him, then there's no reason to overthink this.

Sure, the Durant comparisons might be a little overblown, but they're not far off. Kinda like comparing Kobe to Jordan... This kid can be special if he's fully recovered from his injury.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #1684
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
https://twitter.com/DXContent/status/997502518639976448

I like it. Projects as a better defending LaMarcus Aldridge or Myles Turner type. Maybe somewhere in between on their offensive games, given JJJ's ability to knock down 3 pointers.
JJJ is my next choice after MPJ... And I don't really like any of the comparisons I've seen so far, since there really hasn't been anyone like him in the league yet. We're talking about a dominant rim-protecting stretch five that can defend out to the arc, plays above the rim, and could hit the three at a 40% clip in college... That's a unicorn, my friend.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-18-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #1685
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

So here is how we can easily map this out.

1. Mavs desperately need a superstar 2. Mavs desperately need defense and rebounding

There are many ways to go about getting both and wondering what the future holds for the guys currently on the roster.

So one angle...Dennis Smith is a superstar waiting to happen but definitely needs more help around him to do that. I honestly believe that fixing the rebounding and defense issue will open up the offense more for him and Barnes. I honestly am not sure we can develop any young player into that star as long as the rebounding and defense stay where they are.

The other angle is saying Smith is more of a Robin and he needs a batman to play with. You have to find that before you care about guys who can help defend and rebounding.

My take is that I believe guys like Bamba and JJJ actually can provide both if they live up to their potential. Certainly Bagley has two of the three that you're looking for in superstar potential and rebounding, but he might not be there at 5.

With all of this though, you're dealing with the unknown. If you draft MPJ and he isn't a superstar, then it's a completely wasted pick. If you draft Bamba or JJJ, and they don't turn into superstars, well at least they'll tremendously help the team with defense and rebounding.

If you add that to MPJs back, then I think there is no question you go with one of the big guys.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #1686
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Another angle to ponder, is it easier to fill defense/rebounding or elite scoring via free agency? With the 33rd pick? With next year's crop of FAs and draftees? I think either direction we go will have us at best as a middle of the pack team next year, with a real shot at finishing bottom 10 again. A lot of factors to consider, but in the end, pick the best player you think has the highest potential. There are very good arguments on either side.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #1687
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Proof that this draft has a loooooong way to go...

Hoops Rumors
@HoopsRumors
Grizzlies To Explore Trading No. 4 Pick? https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/05/...no-4-pick.html

8:37 AM - May 18, 2018
17 people are talking about this

Old 05-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #1688
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdYboUTzWys

Shot at 6:20 from MPJ is another example of his natural smooth shot.

I am torn on MPJ. When people compare him to KD, I think they are greatly overestimating his athleticism. KD is incredibly athletic. He doesn't rely on it, but when he needs to he can do some incredible things. Also, KD is longer. So for me the comparison doesn't really work.

That said, I think if healthy he definitely deserves consideration with JJJ and Bamba. Assuming he is healthy and we feel good about that moving forward, my ranking between the three of them would be:

1. MPJ
2. JJJ
3. Bamba

Truthfully, the difference between the three of them is incredibly small as far as potential goes. I'll stick with my previous comment that I believe culture, development, and team fit is going to be difference maker for MANY of these top 6 guys. Just look at Monk. He does ALL the same things well as he did in college, but he was taken by a team trying to make him a PG. He is NOT that. He is killer scorer and needs to be allowed to shoot 30 shots a game, build confidence, and learn through mistakes.
I agree with this. Its revisionist to make Porter out to be some flawless prospect. There are questions about his: handles, playmaking, physicality, build, length. You're right, he isn't as long as KD or as athletic- doubt he'd ever be the weak side defender KD is.

All that said, UD is right in stating that he's one of the few guys in the draft that profiles as a legit 25ppg scorer. And that alone has significant value.

I'll be happy with Porter if he gets the medical ok. I see DSJ as more of a Robin, ideally.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #1689
Underdog

@IsaacLHarris: I’m all in on Bamba, but I will say this

Bamba needs Dallas more than Dallas needs him. The system, role & roster in Dallas is built to maximize Bamba’s full potential & I’m not sure he would excel quickly in places like ATL or ORL because of that

@IsaacLHarris: Dallas “needs” him for sure, but Dallas could go in plenty of directions at 5 & be fine.

If Bamba is asked to be one of the best players on his team next season (like ATL, ORL, SAC) then he might struggle.

Imo, Dallas’ role with him alongside Dennis, HB, etc is the best for him

Last edited by Underdog; 05-18-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:22 PM   #1690
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
Wonder where Texas Tech small forward will land...
TT player small forward Zhaire Smith at NBA combine score/grade
...........................................positio n rank#
Max Vertical..............41.5".......1st
Standing Vertical........33".........1st
Lane Agility............11.02 sec....2nd
3/4 court sprint.......3.05 sec.....1st
NBA shuttle drill......3.15 sec.....2nd

One of my fav players in the draft. Would love to pick up a second pick and take a flyer on him.

Last edited by tap2390; 05-18-2018 at 01:31 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #1691
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
One of my fav players in the draft. Would love to pick up a second pick and take a flyer on him.
We already have 2 2nd round picks. With those numbers though I doubt he makes it that far.

Edit: misread your post. Not sure what we would have to give up to move back into the 1st.

Last edited by BPo001; 05-18-2018 at 02:12 PM.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #1692
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
We already have 2 2nd round picks. With those numbers though I doubt he makes it that far.

Edit: misread your post. Not sure what we would have to give up to move back into the 1st.
JJB + 33

for

Bayless + 10
?

Sixers shed little under $5 million going from Bayless to JJB, and I believe a little over $2 million going from 33 to 10. They gain $7 million in their pursuit of Lebron, upgrade at point, and still get a decent young guy. JJB gets to finish his contract on a contender.

Probably contingent on who’s their at #10 and how the Sixers feel about their chance to draw Lebron. He was definitely in the city looking at schools for his kids this past season, and is a savvy enough person to make these decisions ahead of time. Wouldn’t be surprised if he puts on a dog-and-pony show, but my guess is he already knows.

Last edited by tap2390; 05-18-2018 at 02:25 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #1693
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
JJB + 33

for

Bayless + 10
?

Sixers shed little under $5 million going from Bayless to JJB, and I believe a little over $2 million going from 33 to 10. They gain $7 million in their pursuit of Lebron, upgrade at point, and still get a decent young guy. JJB gets to finish his contract on a contender.
I had a dream...I met someone who thought JJB would get us the 10th pick...a most amazing man...

Old 05-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #1694
Underdog

Quote:
JJB + 33

for

Bayless + 10
?

Probably contingent on who’s their at #10 and how the Sixers feel about their chance to draw Lebron. He was definitely in the city looking at schools for his kids this past season, and is a savvy enough person to make these decisions ahead of time. Wouldn’t be surprised if he puts on a dog-and-pony show, but my guess is he already knows.
This three-way trade is the closest you'll get to making that work...

@LockedOnMavs: A trade we discussed on the latest pod:

- Mavs get 9th pick, Hardaway Jr., Bayless

- Knicks get 10th pick, W. Matthews, J.Anderson

- Philly get Mavs 2019 top-10 protected pick

Mavs - Get another top-10 pick but costs long-term money in Hardaway Jr. (3 years, $53 million) Bayless 8.5 cuts into cap this summer. Also lose future 1st.

Knicks- Trade out Hardaway Jr. for Matthews. Opens up massive cap space for 2019. Still get 10th pick.

Philly- sheds 10 million in cap for this summer but still gets 2019 first (top-10 protected) from Mavs. Basically pushes back pick a year while opening up 10 mill in cap this year.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #1695
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I had a dream...I met someone who thought JJB would get us the 10th pick...a most amazing man...

What can I say? I'm an optimist.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #1696
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

Mavs - Get another top-10 pick but costs long-term money in Hardaway Jr. (3 years, $53 million) Bayless 8.5 cuts into cap this summer. Also lose future 1st.

Knicks- Trade out Hardaway Jr. for Matthews. Opens up massive cap space for 2019. Still get 10th pick.

Philly- sheds 10 million in cap for this summer but still gets 2019 first (top-10 protected) from Mavs. Basically pushes back pick a year while opening up 10 mill in cap this year.
The only way Philly does that is if they have a chance at Lebron or another star.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #1697
Underdog

Quote:
The only way Philly does that is if they have a chance at Lebron or another star.
Yeah, that would be the idea.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #1698
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like Philly has many other avenues to open up requisite cap space. They have young talent stashed and other picks
Old 05-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #1699
mac222b
Diamond Member

I want to believe we can get a second pick in the lottery but its highly, highly unlikely
Old 05-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #1700
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

MPJ measured in at 6 foot 10.5...

So hard to pass up on that.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #1701
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post

Yeah, he's starting to lean more PF than SF, just gotta bulk up a bit more (which tends to come naturally with age/NBA training).

Old 05-18-2018, 07:02 PM   #1702
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post

Actually 6'10.75 which is strange because he definitely doesn't look it.

Still, it means he is definitely a PF in today's NBA, but you have to get a center to pair with that.

So who will that be? If the Mavs want to win now, then they absolutely have to consider Jordan. It might be unpopular, but who else could man the middle right away with those kinds of stats? Team can't wait til next year or trade deadline for it to happen.

Name me a center you pair with him that is obtainable? Because if you aren't taking the center position seriously, then I think it's all going to be the same again next season record-wise.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #1703
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I would hate this trade. You are probably getting just marginal better with the pick (giving up a ´19 in the 11-20 range, probably) and worst, kill your entire 2019 free agency for...Tim Hardaways sucking contract.

No thanks. The Mavs should not give up their 2019 cap space so easy.

Last edited by sefant77; 05-18-2018 at 07:05 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:27 PM   #1704
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a pod we recorded about The Mavs dropping from 3 to 5 and who we would most like to see be the Pick at #5:
https://soundcloud.com/theoppod/theo...n-to-mavs-at-5

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:32 PM   #1705
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Here is a pod we recorded about The Mavs dropping from 3 to 5 and who we would most like to see be the Pick at #5:
https://soundcloud.com/theoppod/theo...n-to-mavs-at-5
Great stuff! Not a ton of new content for me because I'm always chatting you guys up on Twitter, but a solid pod regardless.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:32 PM   #1706
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute
Question

Quote:
Actually 6'10.75 which is strange because he definitely doesn't look it.

Still, it means he is definitely a PF in today's NBA, but you have to get a center to pair with that.

So who will that be? If the Mavs want to win now, then they absolutely have to consider Jordan. It might be unpopular, but who else could man the middle right away with those kinds of stats? Team can't wait til next year or trade deadline for it to happen.

Name me a center you pair with him that is obtainable? Because if you aren't taking the center position seriously, then I think it's all going to be the same again next season record-wise.
Win now? Not happening. The quicker people forget that notion the better.

F*ck Jordan actually. A center to pair with MPJ, perhaps Motley. I want to see much more of what he has. He's likely not going to become the defensive stopper that some others might, but he was more than intriguing. I'd rather see what we have than watching that douche Jordan. It's still frustrating because we should already have known much more of what Motley could do in the league by now.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:39 PM   #1707
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Then don’t talk to Cuban.

A slow rebuild is probably the right call, but Cuban has never been patient and he’s chomping at the bit to be good again and you know that also means drafting with need and trying to make some deals. Cuban has basically said that we’ve failed if we’re back in the lottery next year

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-18-2018 at 11:40 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #1708
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Then don’t talk to Cuban.

A slow rebuild is probably the right call, but Cuban has never been patient and he’s chomping at the bit to be good again and you know that also means drafting with need and trying to make some deals. Cuban has basically said that we’ve failed if we’re back in the lottery next year
I sincerely hope that some of that is just talk. Yes itd be nice to be back in the playoffs but Cubans own lack of foresight is a big part of the reason we are in this predicament. DSJ wont even hit his prime for years yet.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #1709
Underdog

Memphis going all-in on Gasol/Conley, open to trading their pick to win now... I wonder if they'd go for a trade along these lines (with possible moving parts):

Dallas gets Chandler Parsons, #4 pick.
Memphis gets Harrison Barnes, 2019 1st round pick.

Parsons and Barnes have the exact same contract, we would give up next year's pick to add #4 to our #5 pick in this year's draft... Would you do it?

Last edited by Underdog; 05-19-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #1710
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Memphis going all-in on Gasol/Conley, open to trading their pick to win now... I wonder if they'd go for a trade along these lines (with possible moving parts):

Parsons and Barnes have the exact same contract, we would give up next year's pick to get the #4 and #5 picks in this year's draft... Would you do it?
Yes, without question.

Any new rumors about them trading their pick?

Old 05-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #1711
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought about the exactly trade but i think our team just likes Barnes way too much. And they said they are done rebuilding this summer, so i think they prefer Barnes + one rookie over two rookies and no Barnes.

Last edited by sefant77; 05-19-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #1712
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:

Parsons and Barnes have the exact same contract, we would give up next year's pick to add #4 to our #5 pick in this year's draft... Would you do it?
In a heartbeat. The question is: would Memphis. They’d have to really like Barnes. And they would be getting back the pick they’re losing next year and getting off that hideous Parsons deal. Still, don’t see them doing it
Old 05-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #1713
Underdog

Here are some versions with more moving parts...

@KohlRastman67: Here’s the first one:

Mavs get: Chandler Parsons, Ben McLemore, 4th overall pick

Grizzlies get Harrison Barnes, 2019 Mavs first rounder with protection, 33rd pick in 2018

@KohlRastman67: And this is the 2nd one:

Dallas gets: Parsons, McLemore, Mason Plumlee, 4th overall pick

Memphis gets: Barnes, Wilson Chandler (or Kenneth Faried), protected Mavs 2019 pick, Mavs 2nd round pick (#33), and Nuggets 2nd rounder (#58)

Denver gets: Wesley Matthews, JaMychal Green

Last edited by Underdog; 05-19-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #1714
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
In a heartbeat. The question is: would Memphis. They’d have to really like Barnes. And they would be getting back the pick they’re losing next year and getting off that hideous Parsons deal. Still, don’t see them doing it
Seems like a great trade for both sides. Like you, I doubt it happens. Fantastic proposition though. Hard to imagine we are a playoff team next year with two rookies starting. Grizzlies are unloaded with the Parsons catastrophe. And they get a solid player to win now with. If I'm the Grizzlies I take it. And plenty of upside if you believe in this year's draft class to get guys in your organization to start the development process NOW vs delaying for 3-4 years of picks.

Can you imagine DSJ, MPJ, and Bamba/JJJ as our core moving forward? Would take a few years but you got it all right there. Even if you don't think MPJ back is ok, you might still end up with DSJ, Bagley, and Bamba. Monster lineup lol.

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 05-19-2018 at 07:00 PM.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #1715
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

What's funny is that MPJ and Bamba would be a perfect fit with each other. We keep arguing which one to take when it would be much better to have both.

No way it happens, but we can have some fun for the next month right?

If they can make it happen though, you do it no matter the cost. DSJ/MPJ/BAMBA is your core for years.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 05-19-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #1716
sefant77
Guru

I dont like any trade that kills our 2019 cap space....like Mason Plumlee...
Old 05-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #1717
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
I dont like any trade that kills our 2019 cap space....like Mason Plumlee...
What are we going to do with that cap space again? That sounds like a plan powder move when it's much wiser to have asset in hand.

We need a young core to build around, period. Everything else comes second.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #1718
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I'd absolutely trade a future pick and take on salary for a pick in the top 6 this year.

Quote:
Here’s an anti-climatic bit of data to all of you who made it through this two-part, 5.6k word mammoth: The top of the 2019 class doesn’t look nearly as strong as the past two classes. In fact, if I went back to what we knew in September and October of 2017 when the first pre-season mocks were released, I would rank DeAndre Ayton, Marvin Bagley, Luka Doncic and Michael Porter Jr. all higher on my board than the top prospect from this class RJ Barrett.
With that being said, it feels like less of a knock on 2019 prospects and more of a statement on how loaded the 2017 and 2018 classes were. And, therefore, how spoiled we, draft followers, have become during the past two draft cycles.
These 2 drafts were unique, next year if we finish with the 5th-10th pick it's not getting us a DSJ level guy. But that's why I highly doubt Barnes plus a future pick and taking back salary gets a deal like this done. A top 6 pick this year is like having one of those top 1-2 picks most years I'd wager. And those picks don't get traded unless it's a superstar.

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/03/0...ngs-tiers-1-3/

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 05-19-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:03 PM   #1719
mac222b
Diamond Member

Yeah Barnes just isn’t a great player and the perception of him is that he isn’t all that “sexy”. No one buys a ticket to see Harrison Barnes play. He pretty much is what he is, even with the incremental improvements. I’d think Memphis might rather have CJ McCollum who is at least elite in one aspect and can spread the floor.

Last edited by mac222b; 05-19-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #1720
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I would trade the entire team minus DSJ and any cap space for Memphis's pick.