Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #881
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:What is spinning in your CD player right now?

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2005, 02:32 PM   #882
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What is spinning in your CD player right now?

The Pumkins - Siamese Dream

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #883
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Remembered this thread as I was about to start a new one so just decided to bump this one.
Silence by Blindside. Great CD. Their new one is good too but silence was awesome.
Elliot smith mix- A friend made it to introduce me to him and it is a good cd.
Kanye West-Greatest rapper alive.
Dierks Bentley-I listen to some country
Mudvayne-The end of all things to come. World so Cold is one of the great listen to it before a football games of all time.
Shane and Shane- Good Christian music.
Oasis-definitely Maybe. Great cd by a great band. I actually took a while to like them but once I did I realize how awesome they are now.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #884
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Hot Hot Heat - Elevator

EXCELLENT
Old 10-21-2005, 06:27 PM   #885
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

don't laugh. rilo kiley; execution of all things
Old 10-21-2005, 06:45 PM   #886
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"nothing is sound" - Switchfoot

it's only "okay"

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-21-2005, 08:30 PM   #887
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Five-ofan

So amazingly incorrect.

Anyway, my latest listenings:

M.I.A. - Arular
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over The Sea
GZA - Liquid Swords

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:54 PM   #888
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Who is a better rapper?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:13 PM   #889
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ninkobei
don't laugh. rilo kiley; execution of all things
Laugh? I freakin' APPLAUD you! That's an excellent album. Riloy Kiley = teh shit.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:21 PM   #890
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Toadies - Rubberneck
Old 10-21-2005, 10:36 PM   #891
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

The Gatorade Theme Song "If I Could Be Like Mike"
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #892
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I know its your personal opinion but if you think that he is the greatest you probably only listen to the stuff on the radio or MTV (which 95% of sucks). I have both of Kanye West's CDs and they're great but Chaffy is right, he is far from the top of a greatest rapper list.

Anyway, just bought:
Atmosphere - You cant imagine how much fun we're having.
Casual - Smash Rockwell
Cage - Hell's Winter
Aesop Rock - Fast cars, danger, fire and knives
The Perceptionists - Black Dialogue
DJ Quik - Trauma
Danger Doom - The Mouse and the Mask
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:44 PM   #893
Five-ofan
Guru

I seriously dislike MTV because I mainly listen to rock and they NEVER play rock. They play some crappy punk stuff that they pawn off as rock but they never play rock. Thats not to dis punk either because good punk is fine too but they play crap like good charlotte and call it rock. He is by no means the greatest rapper ever. I listen to a good deal of rap that my friends in football listened to because thats really the only exposure I had to it. I grew up in corsicana which is a tiny country town. Kanye is my favorite living rapper. I am curious who you think is better that is alive. Im excluding the NWA guys because I dont like Ice Cube's rapping and honestly I forgot about Dre. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If you are arguing Dre thats cool because he was and still for the most part is awesome. Snoop Dog can also be put above Kanye without any complaint from me though I dont really care for him. If you are arguing people like Eminem or Fifty cent then you just need to stop. TI and Nelly I like alot but wouldnt classify as better than Kanye. Trick Daddy and some others are also good but I just dont like them as much. I should have said my favorite instead of the best. I would edit it but since its been qouted twice it really makes no since to do so. I love music discussions though so its ok. BTW has anyone else even heard of blindside?
Old 10-21-2005, 11:45 PM   #894
Five-ofan
Guru

Also in my cd player now or my itunes anyway CCR and Skynyrd greatest hits. Awesome cds. Simple Man is a great song.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:13 AM   #895
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Randy Greif - 'Alice in Wonderland'... pure audio LSD, some of the weirdest stuff in existence... excellent.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:25 AM   #896
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
Quote:

So amazingly incorrect.

M.I.A. - Arular
GZA - Liquid Swords

anyone who listens to liquid swords has great taste in my short and yet to be written book.
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:25 AM   #897
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I am curious who you think is better that is alive. Im excluding the NWA guys because I dont like Ice Cube's rapping and honestly I forgot about Dre. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If you are arguing Dre thats cool because he was and still for the most part is awesome. Snoop Dog can also be put above Kanye without any complaint from me though I dont really care for him. If you are arguing people like Eminem or Fifty cent then you just need to stop. TI and Nelly I like alot but wouldnt classify as better than Kanye. Trick Daddy and some others are also good but I just dont like them as much.
Dr Dre needed good production and other popular artists (i.e. snoop, eminem, nate dogg) in his songs to sound good.
Can you name a classic Dre song where it was only him in the song?
It was too obvious on his albums that all of his time went into his beats and not his lyrics (a lot of the times sounded recycled from previous songs).
Eminem has the skill to be good but he trys so hard to be funny that it has gotten really annoying. And we all know by now how much he hates his ex-wife and mom and how much he loves his daughter. He has ran out of things to rap about and it really showed on his last album.
50 cent is horrible and Trick Daddy!??
Old 10-22-2005, 01:29 AM   #898
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

How do you guys talk about rap and not mention Jay Z, B.I.G., or even Tupac =(

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:45 AM   #899
Five-ofan
Guru

Jay Z was an oversite but the other two didnt come up because I said living rapper. I specifically said it to not leave those two out. Jay Z is definitely in the conversation though. I knew I was forgetting someone else. I still have the feeling that I am forgetting someone but I cant remember who it is.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:50 AM   #900
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Diddy, Nas, DMX

their careers are still in front of Kanye's

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:52 AM   #901
mavs413
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
How do you guys talk about rap and not mention Jay Z, B.I.G., or even Tupac =(
Because everyone knows how good they were at what they did.
Also, five-o said 'best alive' and two of those guys have been dead for almost a decade. Jay-Z says he's retired but he's not, who retires from hip hop? Rev Run has a CD out now and Flava Flav is back at it again.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:14 AM   #902
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

How about Ludacris, Outkast, Three six mafia, Busta Rhymes, Redman, Method Man, or Bone thugs & Harmony. I would prefer any of those instead of Kanye West.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:18 AM   #903
Fah Q
Golden Member

Double post
Old 10-22-2005, 02:23 AM   #904
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Don't care much for rap myself. I'm all about the law-abiding citizen stuff.

Lately I've been listening to:

Slobberbone - Barrel-Chested
Pleasant Grove - s/t
Pleasant Grove - Auscultations of the Heart
Elvis Costello - King of America
Sike - I'm as Gay as a Parade
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:51 AM   #905
Fah Q
Golden Member

Old 10-22-2005, 03:19 AM   #906
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Casual - Smash Rockwell

I'll have to give this one a try. That dude is hilarious on Handsome Boy Modeling School.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:25 AM   #907
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

Outkast brought tears to my eyes when I first heard southernplayalisticadillacmuzac pumping through my friend's stereo. I was so proud that the SOUTH finally made some music that I could actually dig. But since the aquemini album, I haven't really listened to them.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:40 AM   #908
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
The Pumkins - Siamese Dream
That album is amazing. Can you recommend anything else by them that is comparable?
Old 10-22-2005, 11:53 AM   #909
sike
The Preacha

Mellen Collie and Infinite Sadness is a genius double disc set...not quite the same quality as Siamese Dream..but dang close on several tracks..

Old 10-22-2005, 12:33 PM   #910
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Pretty much every member of the Wu-Tang Clan, Outkast, Nas, Jay-Z, Gift of Gab, Dizzee Rascal, Any member of Jurassic 5, Cee-Lo Green, Eminem, etc.

All of these listed above (and I could probably go on) are better rappers than Kanye West. Anyone who knows hip-hop knows that as a lyricist and MC, Kanye is quite lacking. I have both of his CDs, and I love them. If you want to argue that he is the best "musician" in the hip-hop game right now, you could be right (though Andre 3000 and the Roots would have something to say about it). But to say his is the greatest "rapper" alive is still quite incorrect. As far as Eminem goes: As someone above said, he has tried to0 hard to be funny, especially on his most recent CD. But, there is no one in hip-hop that can match his lyrical ability, and his rhyme structure is some of the sickest stuff I've ever heard.

Old 10-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #911
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

I always forget about this thread, but I like when it gets bumped. listening to these two right now...

Old 10-22-2005, 02:09 PM   #912
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

thanks sike. I'll definitely check those albums out.

Old 10-22-2005, 04:28 PM   #913
Five-ofan
Guru

As I said earlier yall are right he is not the best rapper alive he just happens to be my favorite but Diddy???? For what dancing in B.I.G's videos??? Diddy is a great producer but he is not a good rapper at all. The same can be said of Kanye as far as being more of a singer then a rapper. Its music so it is an opinion. There are opinions that are just flat out wrong despite what they tell you when you are little. I learned this when a guy I know tried to argue that Killswitch Engage is better than Led Zeppelin was. Kanye is not the best rapper alive so my opinion was wrong. I wrote that post in about 15 seconds. He is my favorite rapper/hip hop singer though. My bad on the phrasing.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:25 PM   #914
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

No prob. I probably came off more confrontational than I should have. I tend to do that with things I'm passionate about. I completely agree with you on P. Diddy. He is a very mediocre rapper, and frankly hasn't produced anything interesting since Biggie died.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:08 PM   #915
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

North Mississippi Allstars - Electric Blue Watermelon

Death Cab for Cutie - Plans

Joe Firstman - The War of Women

AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:11 PM   #916
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Don't care much for rap myself. I'm all about the law-abiding citizen stuff.

Lately I've been listening to:

Slobberbone - Barrel-Chested
Pleasant Grove - s/t
Pleasant Grove - Auscultations of the Heart
Elvis Costello - King of America
Sike - I'm as Gay as a Parade
That Sike album is pretty good, but nowhere near as awesome as his 'Lovesongs for Richard Simmons' album...
Old 10-25-2005, 05:12 PM   #917
irontoad
Golden Member

edit
Old 10-26-2005, 09:14 AM   #918
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
Quote:

So amazingly incorrect.

M.I.A. - Arular
GZA - Liquid Swords
Good call! In the Aeroplane Over the Sea = perhaps my favorite album of all-time, definitely a top 3 pick.

Current listenings:
Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary
Deerhoof - The Runners Four
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! - self titled
New Pornographers - Twin Cinema
Bear vs. Shark - Right Now, You're in the Best of Hands
Constantines - Tournament of Hearts
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:18 AM   #919
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Oops - double post.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:14 PM   #920
Five-ofan
Guru

Element 80

Tags
<clutch tagging>, got a bit fluffy in here