Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #41
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope the young guys realize how easy it is to play with and through Dirk. Mayo/Collison seemed so surprised the first games when they came off a P&R wide open!

Last 2 games it looked better... Also i think Collison worked on the entry passes.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #42
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

So...look...I'm been pretty much driving the "Vince Carter needs to be reigned in" bandwagon, and have been for some time. But that shot was completely justifiable. The most important thing in that situation is that you get the 2 for 1. THE most important thing.

Even if there's a 20% chance that shot goes in (and I'd argue it's a bit higher with Carter), that's a shot you take every single time, given the time on the clock.

Overall I thought the game was quite encouraging, but we're quickly nearing the stage where moral victories are useless (if we're not already there).

And despite turnovers not being a huge issue until overtime, OJ has got to figure out a way to keep a better handle on the ball. I'm getting to the point that I just don't trust him to make any kind of pass.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-03-2013 at 10:01 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #43
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Good: Nice to see Dirk finding rhythm and actually getting the ball in his spots. Nice to see OJ step up - if we can get Dirk back to normal and have at least one of OJ/DC/Vince/Kaman step up offensively, we should be okay putting points on the board.

Bad: That missed free throw and the obvious Wade foul on the 'steal' killed us. DC is an awful half-court playmaker. How much Center is Dirk going to play this year?

Ugly: Dating back to last season, I'm getting really sick of losing nearly every close game. Recently, I'm just getting really sick of losing nearly every game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Vince's decision to take a quick 3 out of a timeout was dreadful.
I wasn't able to watch the game, when was that and what was the score. I've seldom seen 2-1s attempted in close games. Usually 2-1s to me are sort of throw-away possessions at the end ifthe first three quarters.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #44
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

A few issues I have.

OJ Mayo: His most consistent play is, timing his turnovers so perfectly in these tight games that the other team momentum avalanches us. It seems to drag Collison into frantic, chicken with their heads cut off mode too.

Vince Carter: I have said it before and it happened once again last night. Go back and look at the crucial 3's we gave up for the tie and lead and in overtime. Almost all of the outside bombs were given up by his man or a man closest to him. The one in overtime he was staring at a guy with the ball in the paint and his man is behind him wide open for a 3. I'm telling you he is gonna set a NBA and world record for giving up 3 pointers in a season! It's killing us, does no one else notice this, or care? Some one please talk to him. BG

Collison and Mayo: Get Dirk the damn ball, a few times it has been Dirks fault for allowing his man back around him to keep the entry pass from coming in, but there were window of opportunity for them to get it to him on the PnR. They have to learn to do so.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #45
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
BTW.

His assist numbers are so overrated. If you play with so many great players, 10 assists is really nothing special.
While i agree assist numbers aren't the best indication of someone's passing ability (Westbrook is averaging 8+ assists) Lebron is still a great passer. Probably the second best passing SF of all-time. The guy did this in Cleveland as well, on average rosters, and has some "wow" pass in every single game. I understand we hate him, but he maybe the best player since MJ, and has no hole in his game at this point in his career. I mean look up his season, and december numbers. It's ridiculous.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #46
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I wasn't able to watch the game, when was that and what was the score. I've seldom seen 2-1s attempted in close games. Usually 2-1s to me are sort of throw-away possessions at the end ifthe first three quarters.
Mavs up by 1 (100-99) and he took a three after a pick from Dirk i believe and the Mavs having the ball with ~44 seconds to go, he shot it with ~33. I think it was a good shot for that situation.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #47
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay..now IMO forcing a 2-1 shot in that scenario is ridiculous. A score is much more important there than an extra possession.

Why would we want a rushed shot which by definition a 2-1 opportunity is versus a solid shot?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #48
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5dedKhOhNU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5dedKhOhNU

Last edited by markus1234; 01-03-2013 at 11:52 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #49
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Not all 2-1 are rushed shots, so I'm not 100% positive that is by definition. But it may be.

Refer to basketball 101 handbook.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #50
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the play again in slow motion, it's not as open of a shot he took than I thought. Battier isn't right on him but he's closing out in a big way. Dirk never really makes an effort to do anything on the play. He's just sitting between the elbow and the corner. OJ rushes from the corner to the elbow of the line just as Vince starts to line up the shot.

Marion sets the pick for Carter and rolls hard to the heart of the paint (roughly 5 feet from the basket). Bosh shows hard but is basically in no-man's land and can't get back to Marion. That forces Carter out a little bit further away and gives Battier time. No one really cheats in and covers Marion in the paint. I don't think Ray Allen makes the basketball play to cover the steal unless it's an errant pass by Vince. Wade could maybe cheat, but the only way it backfires is if Marion can't catch the pass/Vince throws an errant pass which is way behind Marion. Wade is going to have to get over and foul Marion to get the ball. Either way, it's a pretty direct pass with no real congestion. Marion gets the ball and he's got a direct line for a bunny.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 01-03-2013 at 12:12 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #51
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Okay..now IMO forcing a 2-1 shot in that scenario is ridiculous. A score is much more important there than an extra possession.

Why would we want a rushed shot which by definition a 2-1 opportunity is versus a solid shot?
Well, first of all, a solid shot is far from guaranteed on any possession.

The point, though, is that 2 shots are almost always better than 1. That's backed up by a ton of statistical data points.

And besides the fact of statistics, just think about it logically. Why wouldn't you choose one rushed possession and one solid, stable possession over just the one solid, stable possession?

The extra, rushed shot is a bonus, so why would you ever turn it down?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #52
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
A few issues I have.

OJ Mayo: His most consistent play is, timing his turnovers so perfectly in these tight games that the other team momentum avalanches us. It seems to drag Collison into frantic, chicken with their heads cut off mode too.

Vince Carter: I have said it before and it happened once again last night. Go back and look at the crucial 3's we gave up for the tie and lead and in overtime. Almost all of the outside bombs were given up by his man or a man closest to him. The one in overtime he was staring at a guy with the ball in the paint and his man is behind him wide open for a 3. I'm telling you he is gonna set a NBA and world record for giving up 3 pointers in a season! It's killing us, does no one else notice this, or care? Some one please talk to him. BG

Collison and Mayo: Get Dirk the damn ball, a few times it has been Dirks fault for allowing his man back around him to keep the entry pass from coming in, but there were window of opportunity for them to get it to him on the PnR. They have to learn to do so.
Carter collapsing on the ball and leaving his man open at the 3pt line is driving me crazy too. Also that he appears to have carte blanche to jack off balance jumpers and 3's early in the shot clock. Someone needs to reign him in. I think we've all been saying this for weeks now.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #53
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Well, first of all, a solid shot is far from guaranteed on any possession.

The point, though, is that 2 shots are almost always better than 1. That's backed up by a ton of statistical data points.

And besides the fact of statistics, just think about it logically. Why wouldn't you choose one rushed possession and one solid, stable possession over just the one solid, stable possession?

The extra, rushed shot is a bonus, so why would you ever turn it down?
I guess it is my preference. A solid 2 pointer puts the pressure all on the other team to get 3 points somehow. Then you play defense and unless rc has called all of his timeouts ( which he has been having to do lately ) you get a look at a win even if tied.

Or they run the shot clock down so far that they take a rushed shot. It would appear getting to three up is the way to go.

I understand the extra shot being a bonus, but being up three is more valuable to me. Of course carter is saying being up 4 is even better.

Last edited by dude1394; 01-03-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #54
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Tons of props to whoever used the 'obviously not hard enough' tag.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #55
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
So...look...I'm been pretty much driving the "Vince Carter needs to be reigned in" bandwagon, and have been for some time. But that shot was completely justifiable. The most important thing in that situation is that you get the 2 for 1. THE most important thing.

Even if there's a 20% chance that shot goes in (and I'd argue it's a bit higher with Carter), that's a shot you take every single time, given the time on the clock.
This.

Quote:

This is a false choice. You're not choosing between "a score" versus "an extra possession." Thig has explained this, though.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #56
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
This.

This is a false choice. You're not choosing between "a score" versus "an extra possession." Thig has explained this, though.
I agree, but this is a case where he needed to be reigned in and there was a quick way to get an efficient look out of the "set". I explained it earlier.

I also looked back at the play in the second where he drove from the elbow extended and had two defenders on him. He did his job and sucked in the extra defender and had Dirk all alone (hands out and ready to shoot) for a 3 and he kept driving to the rim.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #57
dude1394
Guru

I read what he says but I still don't see it. I do not see what the point of a rushed shot is. It seems like a wasted opportunity.

I know I cannot guarantee a made basket, but are you really saying that 20% versus 50% is better if you then get another shot without a lot of time on the clock. I don't know, it just seems like you are eating two rushed possessions.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #58
Kante
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I also looked back at the play in the second where he drove from the elbow extended and had two defenders on him. He did his job and sucked in the extra defender and had Dirk all alone (hands out and ready to shoot) for a 3 and he kept driving to the rim.
Yup, i thought he should have passed it, but atleast he made the shot, so it's "ok".
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #59
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I would like the Mavs to sign a 3-point specialist (a la Horry, Bowen, Peja...) someone who sits in the corner ready for any dish-out pass that comes his way and knocking them done with deadly precision. Any good team needs one. Those threes by Battier made the difference (and he's not even a 3-point specialist).

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #60
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
I would like the Mavs to sign a 3-point specialist (a la Horry, Bowen, Peja...) someone who sits in the corner ready for any dish-out pass that comes his way and knocking them done with deadly precision. Any good team needs one. Those threes by Battier made the difference (and he's not even a 3-point specialist).
Yea it's really too bad that Shawn hasn't worked harder on that, he would be deadly except that he shoots it from his waist.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #61
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
BTW.

His assist numbers are so overrated. If you play with so many great players, 10 assists is really nothing special.
Not at all. Sure, kicking to an open Ray Allen rather than an open Shawn Marion makes it easier on him, but James is one of the best passers in the league for a player of his size. He's smart enough to know when and where to kick it, and physically...well, the guy can do pretty much whatever he wants on the court. Chest pass, bounce pass, whatever you want...he's gonna lay it on the money.

So yeah, talent around him helps, but he's a great passer regardless (even better playmaker, there is definitely a distinction between the two) as evidenced by averaging 8 assists one year for Cleveland.

Last edited by tcat075; 01-04-2013 at 12:23 AM.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #62
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Good tags. Good tags.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flaccid, mavsfansuicidewatch, obviously not hard enough, saying fags is for fags, shark tank, tank time, tanking is for fags