Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #41
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The ridiculously hot and cold nature of Mayo is starting to seriously drag this team down. He's a pretty good player that simply can't carry a team. If the Mavs were going to give up on rebounding and defense, then they needed to be elite in the scoring department. It starts with Mayo and Dirk...

Crappy loss because a few players had really good games. VC, Brand, and Mr. Roddy Beaubois all had a solid game. Roddy looks much more focused and composed. Brand is finally making his shots. VC does pretty much everything he can for this team across the board and yet...not enough. Sigh...

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #42
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Would have switched Carter tbh though. We don't need his playmaking ability with Mayo/Dirk/Collison all on the floor and he's hitting nothing in crunch time so far.
Nah, Carter played well enolugh to be on the floor, so Marion should have been on the bench in favour of Brand.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #43
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Had Dirk made the free throw the game would have been won.

But boy oh boy does Collison and Mayo make a lot of dumb mistakes down the stretch in tight games or overtimes.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #44
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Then pull Marion, I don't care. Main thing is, Brand should have been on the floor.
But,but,but...no matter that my last statement makes no sense, listen to me now.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #45
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaljasonandjimmy View Post
your right i have no stake, no investment in the team, with that said suck a dick and die you horrible fan. go watch the mavs lose to the bobcats and enjoy you big investor you. im not a jew-billionaire. so fuck you im done
Haha...that's is funny as hell. Someone got their witty, bitty fweewings hurt. I think mommy has some milk for you, better get up there and get your suckle.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #46
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
So what are you bitching about. You have no stake here, no investment in the team other than parasite entertainment. Obviously cubes shouldn't give a rats ass what you, non paying customer thinks.
must spread rep..

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #47
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
But,but,but...no matter that my last statement makes no sense, listen to me now.
Yeah, I missed that Carter actually had a decent game. With yesterday still shooting only 28.5% in crucial situations. I clearly prefer Brand over him especially since Dirk/Mayo should get all the touches they can handle late in the game.

You can switch Carter/Marion basically depending on whether you need more offense or defense.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #48
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

I'd rather switch Carter/Mayo/Dahantay in crunch time.

Dirk, Marion, Brand should be on the floor no matter what.

imo.

Last edited by markus1234; 01-06-2013 at 12:19 PM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #49
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, I missed that Carter actually had a decent game. With yesterday still shooting only 28.5% in crucial situations. I clearly prefer Brand over him especially since Dirk/Mayo should get all the touches they can handle late in the game.

You can switch Carter/Marion basically depending on whether you need more offense or defense.
I think that there just aren't that many good options. Mayo is too inconsistent and still appears to not really know what he wants to do out there. I mean jet/dirk KNEW what they were going to do every time. Mayo/Dirk do not. Mayo also doesn't really seem to know himself actually.

Collison....a shorter devin harris it appears to me. Cannot shoot and shies away from wide open 3's, that's a killer in a point guard imo.

So it's shawn who they desperately need on the floor defensively or vince who they desperately need on the floor right now offensively. If dirk gets to where he can just take over in the fourth you might get away without carter... BUTTTTT there isn't anyone else besides mayo that makes them pay outside when dirk is doubled. You can't lob it to brand, shawn can't shoot and collison can't shoot.

It's a real mess to me. So you put your best 5 on the court and see if they can get it done. Last night they couldn't get it done because dirk/mayo couldn't carry their load. In the future dirk will for sure, I'm not sure about mayo. I doubt it actually, hes' just too streaky.

The mavs are desperate for defensive guys who can hit wide open shots. Brand may have to be on the floor at the end but if he is and vince is not, points are going to be REALLY hard to come by.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #50
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, not to defend someone that is currently serving a temp ban, but can we please stop acting like fans that don't go to the games aren't important? TV contracts are more important to a team's bottom line than attendance. So acting like only those in attendance matter is absurd and elitest.

I agree with Joshi that Brand should have been on the floor in OT, but I do wonder if the heavy minute load had something to do with it.

Now that Dirk's back, Kaman's role should quickly be reduced to backup C as far as I'm concerned. And he should be playing next to Dirk very, very little.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #51
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

The silver lining of the team being terrible is that it's weeding out the terrible fans.

Dirk's getting back to form.. Schedule will get easier. Getting to .500 is the first, achievable step.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #52
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Now that Dirk's back, Kaman's role should quickly be reduced to backup C as far as I'm concerned. And he should be playing next to Dirk very, very little.
I also rather like the idea of Chris getting a bigger chunk of his minutes with the more defensively capable backup backcourt duo of Booby and Dahntay, which will happen naturally if he's coming off the bench.

And while we're at it, I'm just glancing at the most current 82games update, and apparently the DC/Mayo/Marion/Dirk/Brand lineup has only played 2 minutes together, and that is, in fact, the only Mayo/Marion/Dirk/Brand foursome to even show up in the list of the 20 heaviest usage lineups featuring Dirk. I know it's early in his comeback, but it seems to me if Dallas is going to make a push they're going to have to continue getting something positive out of Elton, and they're going to need to find ways of getting that unit, and the Dahntay/VC/Dirk/Elton foursome (+9 in 9 minutes with Booby at point), out on the court together more.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #53
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I also rather like the idea of Chris getting a bigger chunk of his minutes with the more defensively capable backup backcourt duo of Booby and Dahntay, which will happen naturally if he's coming off the bench.

And while we're at it, I'm just glancing at the most current 82games update, and apparently the DC/Mayo/Marion/Dirk/Brand lineup has only played 2 minutes together, and that is, in fact, the only Mayo/Marion/Dirk/Brand foursome to even show up in the list of the 20 heaviest usage lineups featuring Dirk. I know it's early in his comeback, but it seems to me if Dallas is going to make a push they're going to have to continue getting something positive out of Elton, and they're going to need to find ways of getting that unit, and the Dahntay/VC/Dirk/Elton foursome (+9 in 9 minutes with Booby at point), out on the court together more.
Agree with all of this, in particular the bit about Brand. He's been the biggest disappointment to me thusfar, and if this team wants to accomplish anything at all, he has to improve his offense to the point that he can become the team's primary center and close games.

There's absolutely no reason that a Collison/Mayo/Marion/Dirk/Brand lineup shouldn't provide plenty of offense and acceptable defense if Elton is contributing offensively in line with previous seasons.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #54
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
First of all, not to defend someone that is currently serving a temp ban, but can we please stop acting like fans that don't go to the games aren't important? TV contracts are more important to a team's bottom line than attendance. So acting like only those in attendance matter is absurd and elitest.
Sure, but what about those pirating the games?

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #55
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Sure, but what about those pirating the games?
Obviously someone pirating a game isn't delivering a ton of value to the team. Like I said, I'm not really defending this particular poster; this isn't the first time Dude has espoused the idea that if you don't attend the games, your opinion is less relevant.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 01-06-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #56
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Obviously someone pirating a game isn't delivering a ton of value to the team. Like I said, I'm not really defending this particular poster; this isn't the first time Dude has espoused the idea that if you don't attend the games, your opinion is less relevant.
Yea...I plead guilty. It gets my hackles up when this type of yahoo comes on ranting and raving about how they are DONE and no longer going to support the team. Or when they rag on folks in the stands for not making enough noise for them, while they sit every game on their barca-lounger.

It reminds me of sportscasters who get their tickets for free, never cheer and criticize the fans for not being rowdy enough for their tastes.

But it's not true, many non-ticket buying fans bleed blue.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #57
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

That was after the Heat games the second one where RC ended it with Collison/Mayo/Carter/Marion/Dirk.

So, no shotblocking, would have helped in both games!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #58
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

The "I'm done" posters are always my fave.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #59
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
That was after the Heat games the second one where RC ended it with Collison/Mayo/Carter/Marion/Dirk.

So, no shotblocking, would have helped in both games!
The problem is, where is it going to come from? Kaman can block a shot or two, but he's otherwise horrendous defensively. So why would you play Kaman at center when he gives you roughly the same defense (if not worse) than Dirk, and less defensive rebounding?

It has to come from Brand, but he has to prove he can contribute consistently before that's going to happen.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #60
adonis
Golden Member

adonis is infamous around these parts

Get it goin, boys!
adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #61
Kante
Diamond Member

Quote:
The problem is, where is it going to come from? Kaman can block a shot or two, but he's otherwise horrendous defensively. So why would you play Kaman at center when he gives you roughly the same defense (if not worse) than Dirk, and less defensive rebounding?

It has to come from Brand, but he has to prove he can contribute consistently before that's going to happen.
I think Kaman tried hard the last few games but try does not always mean "good D". Brand on the other hand is better, yesterday he had a great game, on both ends. So that would have been be my choice yesterday. The C's have to concentrate on Defense late in games, the Mavs have other guys that can take care of the offense. There is no problem trying Kaman or Brand in late games and see who sticks. But to take Brand out after THAT kind of game he had, phew...

There is Wright who would be the best option i say, but...

Last edited by Kante; 01-06-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #62
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
I think Kaman tried hard the last few games but try does not always mean "good D". Brand on the other hand is better, yesterday he had a great game, on both ends. So that would have been be my choice yesterday. The C's have to concentrate on Defense late in games, the Mavs have other guys that can take care of the offense. There is no problem trying Kaman or Brand in late games and see who sticks. But to take Brand out after THAT kind of game he had, phew...

There is Wright who would be the best option i say, but...
I don't think there's any reason to try Kaman and see if it sticks. He's just not capable of playing quality team defense.

I agree that it was confusing the other night when Brand was pulled for OT. As I've said already, the only explanation I can come up with is that Carlisle was concerned about him being effective given the very high (for him) minutes load.

Hopefully Brand will continue to execute offensively and it will just become a foregone conclusion that he's the main center, and should be on the floor during crunch time.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #63
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not inclined to criticize RC at all for his lineup choice in the OT against Miami. They rolled with a Wade/Allen/Battier/LeBron/Bosh lineup for most of that overtime period, and that is just a tough lineup to match up with. The failure to play Brand against NO is more debatable, though I'd still call it defensible since Elton had played 28 minutes in regulation, and Dallas had good chances to win that game in OT that they didn't capitalize on.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #64
dude1394
Guru

He also played Brand the entire 4th quarter when the Hornets made their 11-2 run. So whatever defensive gripes we have about brand playing/not playing... He played the entire 4th and we played our worse defense of the game.

So the jury is definitely out.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #65
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agree with all of this, in particular the bit about Brand. He's been the biggest disappointment to me thusfar, and if this team wants to accomplish anything at all, he has to improve his offense to the point that he can become the team's primary center and close games.

There's absolutely no reason that a Collison/Mayo/Marion/Dirk/Brand lineup shouldn't provide plenty of offense and acceptable defense if Elton is contributing offensively in line with previous seasons.
It's pretty simple unfortunately. Collison and MAyo are most consistent at making sub par decisions that kills you in crunch time. They can not get Dirk the ball, Collison tries off the PnR and just seems too shy to pull the trigger on a pass. He doesn't understand the angle to get it to Dirk. He forced one to him and it was a terrible turnover down the stretch that led to fast break points.

In theory those guys are speedy and capable of getting almost anywhere they want on the floor, but that's not enough.

Marion can't shoot, can't space the floor, can't create.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet=seriousbusiness, mavsfansuicidewatch