Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #41
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I'm emailing Cubes now. I would advise you share your thoughts with him, too. Be pleasant but be honest.

Mark.cuban@dallasmavs.com

Honest question: what do you hope to accomplish by this? Do you really think that there is a move out there to be made that will make the team better and Cubes hasn't done it?

Or are you just going to e-mail to "voice your opinion" (complain) about the offseason moves these past couple of years? If this is the case.... again, what in the world do you think it will accomplish?
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #42
NorwegianMavsFan

NorwegianMavsFan is just really niceNorwegianMavsFan is just really niceNorwegianMavsFan is just really niceNorwegianMavsFan is just really niceNorwegianMavsFan is just really niceNorwegianMavsFan is just really nice

Man, I hate the Jazz commentators. They talk like the Jazz are one of the premier teams in the league. Maybe with the exeption of Tommy Heinsohn, they are the worst homer announcers in basketball. "That`s good nasty" on the Dirk takedown.
NorwegianMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #43
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei View Post
What did your email to him look like? It is great that he responded to you. If it really was him...
Mark,

I have to say that I've been an MFFL for 13 years and I admire what you've done for this team, but Dirk deserves better than this.Do you have any plans to improve the team or is this the new normal after so many years of good fortune?

Signed,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cuban replied:

You think I like to lose?!?!
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #44
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a Clown question bro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvkKd572vCw

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #45
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit, that question hardly deserves much of a response.

Cubes: let me spend hours describing what we are doing to better the team. I'll get someone to print out our blueprint for you.

Or

Cubes: yes, how did you like that championship.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #46
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'd give Roddy the start next game. Collison just can't run a team or get the ball to Dirk with any consistency. I have no clue when it happened, but Roddy suddenly looks like something clicked in his brain. He is also a much better defender than Collison.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #47
NorwegianMavsFan

NorwegianMavsFan is just really niceNorwegianMavsFan is just really niceNorwegianMavsFan is just really niceNorwegianMavsFan is just really niceNorwegianMavsFan is just really niceNorwegianMavsFan is just really nice

And it seems Mike James has come to the rescue. According to mavs moneyball James will sign a 10 day contract.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #48
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

This seems like a weird time to be calling for a Collison benching. He wasn't great last night, but he wasn't bad either. And all in all, he's been pretty good the last two weeks. He's certainly not the reason we're losing games right now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #49
NorwegianMavsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
This seems like a weird time to be calling for a Collison benching. He wasn't great last night, but he wasn't bad either. And all in all, he's been pretty good the last two weeks. He's certainly not the reason we're losing games right now.
I hope they aren't signing James to take over Collison's starting job. Like you said, he hasn't been terrific, but I think he has been solid, and good at knowing when to push and when to slow down. I also think he's been better at attacking in P&R.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #50
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Collison had 2 assists in 30min. That's not good. Esp. with Dirk and Kaman on the floor.

And against MIA he had 3 assists in 40min....

It would be OK, if he could finish his "one man" fast breaks. But he can't. He gets blocked or loses the ball way too often.

Last edited by markus1234; 01-08-2013 at 11:44 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #51
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I don't think the bench is really that bad because he'll still get his minutes. I really don't see Collison as the starting pg this team needs at the end of the day. I don't mind if they keep him here after this season, but I'd like to see him as an energy guy who brings offense off the bench.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #52
NorwegianMavsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I don't think the bench is really that bad because he'll still get his minutes. I really don't see Collison as the starting pg this team needs at the end of the day. I don't mind if they keep him here after this season, but I'd like to see him as an energy guy who brings offense off the bench.
There is some truth to that, but then the question is whether you want Mike James to start, or Roddy or DoJo.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #53
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with taking Roddy and Collison minutes to give to a 37 yr old James. Trust me, there is nothing JAmes is gonna bring that turns this around. Let the young guys make or break it.....their future here.

Also, It doesn't matter if Collison or Roddy starts but IMO, you have to let Roddy finish the game if things are running as well as they were last night.

These MRFRS need to get tough. All of them, period.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #54
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'd give Roddy the start next game. Collison just can't run a team or get the ball to Dirk with any consistency. I have no clue when it happened, but Roddy suddenly looks like something clicked in his brain. He is also a much better defender than Collison.
Darren's already been benched (in a nice way) once, though. I don't think you do it again unless you're ready to keep him there, and as I hopeful as I am based on how Booby's looked of late, I wouldn't personally be ready to hand him the starting job. Increase his minutes some, give him a chance to build on what he's been doing, switch Brand and Kaman in the starting lineup, get back at it.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #55
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Start Collison, give Roddy consistent minutes. It's that simple. Don't bench Collison cause he has 2 bad games in a row (or whatever). Don't put Roddy in a suit because he isn't that great and sometimes is terrible.

Just play them, consistently. The playoffs aren't really on the line at this point, and the Mavs don't have any better options. The fact that they'd go out and sign Mike James is just baffling to me.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #56
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Missed the game but good to hear Roddy played well. Learning how to run a team a bit, eh?
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #57
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Some of you are missing why I said that. I like Collison's play lately, and he is a decent player. He still can't run a team though, and the assists speak for themselves. It just looked to flow better with Roddy in there. The team isn't winning so I'd still try different things.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kaman off the bench as long as Brand keeps up his decent offense lately.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #58
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

If Roddy continues to improve at this rate, I like him as a backup very much. Starter? Questionable.

Roddy has disappointed in some areas, but I think people still overlook the impact he has had during the last lockout season. Among guys that played significant minutes, Roddy ranked Top 3 in all major categories (except rebounding, percentages) among all players with significant minutes on a per minute basis. That's pretty good. He trailed only Kidd in assists, Dirk and Terry in scoring, Haywood and Wright in blocking and led the backcourt in fewest turnovers.

That's probably not too accurate as you would like to get garbage time out of the way and, like this season, often his shooting was nowhere to be found, but on this team at this stage it would be baffling if he wouldn't be a lock off the bench.

Last edited by j0Shi; 01-08-2013 at 02:15 PM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #59
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Roddy plays more under control (lately) and looks more "physical" than Collison. He can also make some threes.

But Roddy is of course not a starter and he still needs to improve to be a decent backup PG. He needs to attack the basket off the dribble and he needs to find the open guy. Yesterday Dirk was wide open (and on fire), but Roddy preferred to brick a contested pullup jumpshot...

1:47 Dirk Nowitzki makes 24-foot three point jumper (Vince Carter assists) 78-70
1:27 78-70 Randy Foye misses 25-foot three point jumper
1:24 78-70 Enes Kanter offensive rebound
1:24 78-72 Enes Kanter makes 2-foot two point shot
1:04 Elton Brand makes 13-foot jumper (Dirk Nowitzki assists) 80-72
0:50 80-74 Derrick Favors makes layup (Gordon Hayward assists)
0:50 Elton Brand shooting foul (Derrick Favors draws the foul) 80-74
0:50 80-74 Alec Burks enters the game for Randy Foye
0:50 80-74 Derrick Favors misses free throw 1 of 1
0:48 Elton Brand defensive rebound 80-74
0:30 Elton Brand misses 13-foot jumper 80-74
0:29 80-74 Derrick Favors defensive rebound
0:13 80-74 Gordon Hayward misses 20-foot jumper
0:12 Elton Brand defensive rebound 80-74
0:01 Rodrigue Beaubois misses 19-foot jumper 80-74 (Dirk wide open in the corner)

Last edited by markus1234; 01-08-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #60
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that was the epitome of why he isn't a starter in this league. To be clear: Way more experienced guys make similar mistakes every game (in yesterdays game Marion took a wild shot in the paint, had two open guys waiting at the perimeter), but Roddy's decision making still leaves much to be desired.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #61
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

DColl and Roddy are very similar players it seems. The big difference is that Roddy has had a couple of glorious years under JKidd to teach him the ropes. DColl may be the better talent but right now the brains favor Roddy. It could be a year or even two before things 'click' with DColl. Especially without a veteran around to influence him.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #62
markus1234
Platinum Member

Collison played with Chris Paul last time i checked. That's a decent teacher if you ask me.

DC and Roddy, both did not learn much since their rookie season...

Last edited by markus1234; 01-08-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #63
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's time to get the ball to Dirk a bit more and just watch everyone else get the hell out of the way.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #64
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
Collison played with Chris Paul last time i checked. That's a decent teacher if you ask me.

DC and Roddy, both did not learn much since their rookie season...
I'm not sure if basketball IQ is a learnable skill. All of those great passers and high IQ point guards (Magic, Nash, Kidd, Paul, etc.) were pretty much the same player at a young age, i mean from a passing standpoint.

Obviously, they got stronger, they improved their shooting, some improved their defense, but the passing was there from early on, the ability to make good decisions from all over the court. Roddy and even DC don't have that, at least not consistently.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #65
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Murphy.... pretty much.....
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #66
markus1234
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
I'm not sure if basketball IQ is a learnable skill. All of those great passers and high IQ point guards (Magic, Nash, Kidd, Paul, etc.) were pretty much the same player at a young age, i mean from a passing standpoint.

Obviously, they got stronger, they improved their shooting, some improved their defense, but the passing was there from early on, the ability to make good decisions from all over the court. Roddy and even DC don't have that, at least not consistently.
Agreed.

One will also not turn 22yo Crowder into 22yo Hayward...

No matter how much time Rick will spend with him during practice.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #67
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post

Basketball IQ is definitely a learnable skill. Why do you think you see veteran teams finishing games while young guys are usually mistake prone at the end of games? Now the vision that a Kidd, Nash, Stockton has that's just God given and you either have it or you don't.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #68
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Darren's already been benched (in a nice way) once, though. I don't think you do it again unless you're ready to keep him there, and as I hopeful as I am based on how Booby's looked of late, I wouldn't personally be ready to hand him the starting job. Increase his minutes some, give him a chance to build on what he's been doing, switch Brand and Kaman in the starting lineup, get back at it.
Demoted--yes. Benched--nope. Benching is what Roddy, Wright, and Dojo have received. I don't think his overall play is worthy of a benching, but he is a backup who was "given" the starting gig.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #69
j0Shi
Diamond Member

On completely other news: I didn't know we were using the SportVU system.

Last edited by j0Shi; 01-08-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #70
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone willing to create the GDT? A few hours away and we are still missing one. I am about 2-9 in my GDTs. Then again, losing may be the most advantageous thing at this point.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mavsfansuicidewatch, obviously not hard enough, utah still sucks