Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gotta Love Sheed

Stern had been briefed about some comments Wallace made after the Pistons' final exhibition Wednesday. Wallace was asked about the Pistons' playoff collapse last season and his ejection from Game 6.

"I still don't think they (Cavaliers) beat us, we beat ourselves," Wallace said. "And I think we also fell victim to that personal NBA thing where they are trying to make it a world game and get (television) ratings. They wanted to put their darling in there (the NBA Finals) and they did, and look what ended up happening."

The league's darling, according to Wallace, was LeBron James, and what ended up happening were the worst ratings in the modern history of the NBA Finals.

"This game ain't basketball anymore, it's entertainment," Wallace said. "It's starting to get like the WWF. There ain't no real wrestling anymore either. It's all fake."

Wallace has lodged the same basic complaint in varying but always colorful ways the past few years. Stern has heard him and, although he has yet to fine him for the comments, he doesn't appreciate them.

"We have a great game and it provides a lot of people -- Rasheed and myself included -- a very good living," Stern said. "I think we all need to learn to be respectful of all that this game has brought and know that there are a lot of people who have worked extremely hard to bring us all to this place. I think Rasheed needs to think about that before he starts questioning things and making those kinds of statements."

Stern, though, didn't belabor the point.

----------------------------------

This was taken from the Detroit News - www.detnews.com.

Stern has even stopped denying it. LOL

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Stern has decided that his policy of muzzling players is outdated, and he's going to let them open up and dialogue with the public.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
skylive321

skylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really nice

spot-head...
skylive321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylive321
spot-head...
Personally I love Sheed and he is one of my favorite players...and he is right

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i hate stern, but in this instance his response was justified and respectful.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

sheed speaks the truth

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
sheed speaks the truth
Same thing i like about Cuban...soo may people feel the same but dont have enough guts to say it and Sheed and Cuban...are not afraid..very few people tht will do tht and Sheed is not a bad player either

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
Old 10-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

yeah. Stern knows what it's all about: raking in the dollahs, baby. raking in the dollahs. And Sheed oughta know better than to put the dollahs in jeopardy. Don't question the hand the feeds you, so says Stern.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

He is right, if the nba has anything to do with it, it would be a Kobe/Lebron nba finals every year. If not Lebron then the nba want's Miami and the Suns final every year because it will sell. The fans will watch. We all knew the Cavs was going to be destroyed by the Spurs and they was. What Rasheed is not saying is the Cavs have one man on it's team that can beat the Pistons. I agree it looks impossible for one man to beat one of the best defenses in the nba but someway Lebron beats Detroit all by himself and just like Wade beat our 15 guys.

The Cavs are no better and maybe worse, while some teams in the east have gotten better. I find it odd that Detroit did not get Posey or one player that can guard Lebron because what if they meet the Cavs again? The series with the Pistons/Spurs would have been much better but imo Lebron destroyed the Pistons fair and square. I feel alot of other stuff he said is true.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
yeah. Stern knows what it's all about: raking in the dollahs, baby. raking in the dollahs. And Sheed oughta know better than to put the dollahs in jeopardy. Don't question the hand the feeds you, so says Stern.
I find this more than a little ironic. I don't watch wrestling, but from what I understand it depends a lot on contrived drama. One way to look at Rasheed's quotes and Cuban's actions is that they indeed create drama. Maybe Rasheed and Cuban are just one step ahead of all of us!

After all, I think we do remember Cuban talking about how Kobe's rape case was good for the NBA.

Food for thought, if nothing else. As you say, "raking in the dollahs."
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:24 PM   #11
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand the irony. We all know that Cuban knows the dollah game. It's all he knows, and he seems to pick up very well whatever knowledge he needs in order to move ahead in that game. As owner/promoter of the Mavs, he knows that the louder he is, the more money he gets. He also knows that the more wins his team gets, the more money he gets. Where he seems to depart from Stern, I think, is that Cuban also has an eye for the integrity of the game - a better product means more fans, as he's talked about. I think Stern would rather have an appearance of integrity than integrity. For his part, Sheed just wants to pop someone.

I just think that it's very funny (and for me, telling) that instead of defending the integrity of the game, or his approach to the game, Stern just points out how much money Sheed is making, basically saying, "keep your place."
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #12
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't have mattered if Detroit made the finals.. the Spurs don't lose in odd years.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:02 AM   #13
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

If Lebron would have gotten the foul calls in the SA series that he got in the Det. series.....it would have been a whole lot closer.

Every time LBJ took the ball to the rack in the Det series, it was a foul. He had to get mugged to get that call in the finals. He was treated massively different in one series to the other.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #14
skylive321

skylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really nice

stop making spot-head look like a messiah.
skylive321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #15
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
I don't understand the irony. We all know that Cuban knows the dollah game. It's all he knows, and he seems to pick up very well whatever knowledge he needs in order to move ahead in that game. As owner/promoter of the Mavs, he knows that the louder he is, the more money he gets. He also knows that the more wins his team gets, the more money he gets. Where he seems to depart from Stern, I think, is that Cuban also has an eye for the integrity of the game - a better product means more fans, as he's talked about. I think Stern would rather have an appearance of integrity than integrity. For his part, Sheed just wants to pop someone.

I just think that it's very funny (and for me, telling) that instead of defending the integrity of the game, or his approach to the game, Stern just points out how much money Sheed is making, basically saying, "keep your place."
Spot-on. That the game is more about entertainment has become the 'unspoken' truth.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #16
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how much of some franchises even value winning it all vs. entertaining.

The Suns and Warriors come to mind, not just for the obvious dollar-saving in KT and JRich, with their style of play. They are so much easier to sell to the mainstream than San Antonio or Detroit. The play ensures some level of regular season success but the style is not conducive to the postseason and these cats aren't winning hardware in the summertime.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 10-28-2007 at 02:28 PM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:36 PM   #17
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
Same thing i like about Cuban...soo may people feel the same but dont have enough guts to say it and Sheed and Cuban...are not afraid..very few people tht will do tht and Sheed is not a bad player either
How much do you think Cuban would get fined for the same comments?
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #18
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
How much do you think Cuban would get fined for the same comments?
I know and thts why he has been quite the last 2 years or soo...but i am sure he still gets his out there at least with some of those Ts

........GO MAVS
Old 10-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #19
Bathouse Bear

Bathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these parts

I will always be a rasheed fan after he blasted the refs during the 2006 Finals and called it for the farce that it was.

props to tracy mcgrady for also calling Dwayne Wade's preferential treatment complete crap.
Bathouse Bear is offline   Reply With Quote