Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default a little more Houston in New York

RealGM Staff Report -
New York Knickerbockers President of Basketball Operations and Head Coach Isiah Thomas announced on Wednesday that guard Allan Houston has been re-signed as a free agent after a two-season absence from the court.

"After much thought and prayer, I have decided to return to the NBA as a member of the New York Knicks . I have worked extremely hard in the last year and a half to accomplish my dream of playing in the NBA again," Houston said.

“After my wife and I were blessed with the birth of our fourth child last week, I realized that New York is where I am supposed to be, and the Knick uniform is the one I want to wear. I have seen the Garden in some of its best moments, and I truly believe that this team is on the verge of experiencing that again. This team is hungry and energetic. I hope to contribute in the weeks and months ahead.

“Thank you to all of the Knick fans and those that have supported me. I will always be a Knick, and I am committed to helping this team compete for a championship.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Um, don't the Knicks already have 15 players under contract?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Now bring back Oakley.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
RealGM Staff Report -
“After my wife and I were blessed with the birth of our fourth child last week, I realized that New York is where I am supposed to be, and the Knick uniform is the one I want to wear. I
Somebody is begging out of diaper duty.

4 kids, one of them a newborn.....any wonder he wants out of the house?
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting subtext. Thomas should watch his back.

Knicks sign former star Allan Houston

STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

Wednesday, October 10th 2007, 5:09 PM

Allan Houston is rejoining the Knicks, two years after knee pain forced him to walk away.

The Knicks re-signed their former star guard Wednesday and expect him to begin his attempt to make the team at practice Friday.

Houston, who was forced to retire due to chronic knee pain before the 2005-06 season, will have to fight his way onto the roster. The Knicks currently have 15 players with guaranteed contracts, not including second-round pick Demetris Nichols.

Houston doesn't have much time to prove he belongs on the roster considering that training camp began last Tuesday. There is a possibility that Houston may have been promised a position in the organization should he not make the club. Thomas, however, said he is not aware if such conversations have taken place.

Houston has maintained a close relationship with Garden chairman James Dolan and Garden president Steve Mills and there is a chance that he would have negotiated his deal with Dolan and Mills.

Once one of the NBA's best outside shooters, Houston retired two years ago this month after chronic knee pain limited him to 70 games over the previous two seasons. Now at age 36, he's trying to make it back with the team he led to an improbable berth in the 1999 NBA finals.

"After much thought and prayer, I have decided to return to the NBA as a member of the New York Knicks," Houston said in a statement. "I have worked extremely hard in the last year and a half to accomplish my dream of playing in the NBA again."
Old 10-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Allan Houston is nothing without Spree

bring spree back

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

...and Heisman Winner Charlie Ward.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #8
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Trade for Camby

Contact Me
Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Got to love the 'gettin the band back together' approach.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Heck... might as well sign Ewing to the vet's minimum.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 PM   #11
alby
Guru

Nothing without John Starks

Contact Me
Old 10-12-2007, 02:29 AM   #12
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

bring back derek harper and anthony mason please!
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:53 AM   #13
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Jeff Van Gundy isn't doing too much these days.

Maybe we should get Reggie Miller as a contingency plan. You know. For when we have to face the Knicks in the finals.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:56 AM   #14
alby
Guru

all they need is charles smith

Contact Me
Old 10-20-2007, 07:39 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Houston was cut today. I guess he no longer has game.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #16
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Houston was cut today. I guess he no longer has game.
i thought he just backed out. saying he didnt want to cripple the progress of the organization.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:07 AM   #17
alby
Guru

Why doesn't he sign with Boston?

Contact Me
Old 10-21-2007, 03:52 AM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

sounds like a little from column A and a little from Column B-- Knicks waive him for being out of shape and he wanted the best for the team.

Knicks Cut Houston
October 20, 2007 - 12:18 pm
New York Post -
The comeback of Allan Houston lasted one week and one game. The Knicks announced today that they will waive the former All-Star shooting guard.

In a press release handed out at the Knicks' open practice at Hofstra University yesterday, Houston said he decided to end his comeback, feeling it was unfair to the team because he needed more time to get into game shape than they Knicks had to give.

"I think it is better for the team to move on without me," Houston said in the release

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 10-21-2007 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #19
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

I don't think Houston was "out of shape"--I read in an Isola column that he was in fact in excellent condition, though I know that doesn't mean he's in "game shape".

I think there's more playing out here than is being said explicitly. Thomas, for whatever reasons, wanted no part of Houston--didn't want to spend any time looking at him in training camp, didn't want to give him any kind of game time, didn't want a non-Isiah guy in the locker room, and he made it clear from the beginning, and at every turn.

Thomas ONLY allowed Houston anywhere near the Knicks because of Houston's odd relationship with Dolan. Dolan and Thomas reportedly have not been in communication to anywhere near the same degree as in the past. Thomas clearly, CLEARLY viewed Houston as a Dolan-plant, and as something of a threat.

Houston knows his chances are a longshot, but what do you wanna bet he has a position within the Knicks organization within 2 years? Perhaps much, much sooner.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #20
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Um, don't the Knicks already have 15 players under contract?

This might have had something to do with it too... (though I agree that Houston probably has a future within the organization...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #21
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Default He'll be back.

Late-Season Return Possible for Houston

Article Tools Sponsored By
By NATHANIEL VINTON
Published: October 22, 2007

GREENBURGH, N.Y., Oct. 21 — A week after starting his improbable comeback, and one day after officially aborting it, Allan Houston visited the Knicks’ training facility Sunday to explain his departure from the team.

“When I went into camp, the intensity was kind of a shock to my body,” said Houston, a 36-year-old guard who retired in 2005 with chronic knee pain. “I didn’t have time to really recover from that.”

Houston told reporters he would not rule out a late-season return to basketball (or even a coaching position), but he emphasized he was letting the future shape itself.

“I may get to a point in a month where I have so many things going on with my foundation, my Web site,” said Houston, referring to allanhouston.com. “Right now, I know that my body feels great, I’m healthy and I’m going to stay in shape.”

Knicks Coach Isiah Thomas was asked if he thought Houston could be a useful addition to a team later this season.

“Anytime you can shoot the ball like he can shoot it, he’s an asset,” Thomas said.

The Knicks must winnow their roster to 15 by Oct. 29. They begin the regular season Nov. 2 in Cleveland. When asked if he thought the team was a playoff contender, Houston expressed confidence in the strategy and philosophy of Thomas, who is entering his second year as coach.

“Last year, they kind of had the excuse that, O.K., everything was kind of new, it was transition,” Houston said. “This year, they’re going to have to take what Isiah’s telling them and execute it.

“It’s not like they don’t have a good strategy. They have an identity, I think, now, and they have the good-enough players.”