Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default 1 on 1 to 5 with JET

Five questions with Mavericks guard Jason Terry:

Q: You're off to the best start of your career and I heard recently that you worked out over the summer with George Gervin. How did that come about?

A: He started training me in 2002 and then I went back to him this summer. We played golf and trained three times a day. The thing about it is, once you've been in the league for 10 years, you know how to shoot. But just being with a guy that's a Hall of Famer and him just building you up mentally, I think that does more than all the shooting.

Q: I didn't even know that "The Iceman" tutors players in the offseason. What do you work on with him?

A: He really doesn't. I think he's trained one other guy and that was Stephon Marbury and he had his best scoring year that year Ice trained him. He doesn't really do it, so it's an honor. I give him a lot of credit for my success.

On the court, I think we made 500 jumpers a day, but it's all midrange. No 3-pointers. He shows me how to get where I want to get on the court and be able to rise up and shoot and square my shoulders. He has this thing called "one piece." That's the [method] that he used. So every time I shoot, every time he grabs the rebound, he's over there screaming, "One piece, one piece."

Q: How did you pull off working out all summer with a Spurs legend? I've got to be honest: You're not exactly the most popular guy in San Antonio.

A: Not at all, not at all. But my uncle's from Detroit, where Ice is from. His high school coach -- Coach Meriweather -- he told me, "Ice would love to work with you and all you've got to do is call him." I called him back when I was in Atlanta and he told me: "Young fella, I'm a big fan of your game, I've been watching you. Come down and let's spend some time together."

Q: So these workouts are actually in San Antonio? I'm guessing you get a few dirty looks walking through the airport.

A: Oh, yeah. The facility that we work out at -- Concord Athletic Club -- it's all Spurs fans. As soon as I walk in the door, they're like, "What the heck you doin' up in here?" But I love it. No doubt [Gervin] is the best as far as getting to the spot, pulling up and squaring your shoulders. He's the best."

Q: It's definitely working for you. You're leading the Sixth Man Award race and we're starting to hear people throw your name out for the All-Star team. But one last question: Why didn't you have him teach you how to finger-roll?

A: He told me it's like trying to teach me how to be 6-6. Never gonna happen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...dime-090103-04
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Thats a great article find...
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't another player as lethal coming off the bench in this league. Instant offense.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

The "New" Vinne Johnson!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it great how carlisle has completely optimized jet's talents. He hasn't tried to keep him "shooting-guard/point guard". He's recognized that even if jjb is undersized, keeping jet as shooting guard and clearing him to fire away at anytime is going to be the best use of his talents.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Lol the finger roll
Old 01-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog View Post
Five questions with Mavericks guard Jason Terry:

Q: You're off to the best start of your career and I heard recently that you worked out over the summer with George Gervin. How did that come about?

A: He started training me in 2002 and then I went back to him this summer. We played golf and trained three times a day. The thing about it is, once you've been in the league for 10 years, you know how to shoot. But just being with a guy that's a Hall of Famer and him just building you up mentally, I think that does more than all the shooting.

Q: I didn't even know that "The Iceman" tutors players in the offseason. What do you work on with him?

A: He really doesn't. I think he's trained one other guy and that was Stephon Marbury and he had his best scoring year that year Ice trained him. He doesn't really do it, so it's an honor. I give him a lot of credit for my success.

On the court, I think we made 500 jumpers a day, but it's all midrange. No 3-pointers. He shows me how to get where I want to get on the court and be able to rise up and shoot and square my shoulders. He has this thing called "one piece." That's the [method] that he used. So every time I shoot, every time he grabs the rebound, he's over there screaming, "One piece, one piece."

Q: How did you pull off working out all summer with a Spurs legend? I've got to be honest: You're not exactly the most popular guy in San Antonio.

A: Not at all, not at all. But my uncle's from Detroit, where Ice is from. His high school coach -- Coach Meriweather -- he told me, "Ice would love to work with you and all you've got to do is call him." I called him back when I was in Atlanta and he told me: "Young fella, I'm a big fan of your game, I've been watching you. Come down and let's spend some time together."

Q: So these workouts are actually in San Antonio? I'm guessing you get a few dirty looks walking through the airport.

A: Oh, yeah. The facility that we work out at -- Concord Athletic Club -- it's all Spurs fans. As soon as I walk in the door, they're like, "What the heck you doin' up in here?" But I love it. No doubt [Gervin] is the best as far as getting to the spot, pulling up and squaring your shoulders. He's the best."

Q: It's definitely working for you. You're leading the Sixth Man Award race and we're starting to hear people throw your name out for the All-Star team. But one last question: Why didn't you have him teach you how to finger-roll?

A: He told me it's like trying to teach me how to be 6-6. Never gonna happen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...dime-090103-04
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Isn't it great how carlisle has completely optimized jet's talents. He hasn't tried to keep him "shooting-guard/point guard". He's recognized that even if jjb is undersized, keeping jet as shooting guard and clearing him to fire away at anytime is going to be the best use of his talents.
I think it is a combination of Jet decided to just be Jet, and dont let anything else bother him, also I think what Dirk said to him struck a cord with Jet as well. But, I do agree it is nice that Carlisle has allowed Jet to be the undersized SG that he is, and what a nice undersized SG we have in Jet...Thats my guy in the end. I will continue to be a Jet Homer
Old 01-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Silk Smoov
Banned

I replied to Dude comment, but it attached the original post? Anyone else notice this?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Silk.... you probably accidentally pressed the multi-quote button on the first post. It's a new feature where you can quote many different quotes in a thread and reply to each with a single post. The multi-quote button looks like this: and sits right next to the Quote button. You press that button to flag a post as one you want to quote.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 01-04-2009 at 09:39 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:29 AM   #10
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
Silk.... you probably accidentally pressed the multi-quote button on the first post. It's a new feature where you can quote many different quotes in a thread and reply to each with a single post. The multi-quote button looks like this: and sits right next to the Quote button. You press that button to flag a post as one you want to quote.
Got you. I see it now. How do you edit so that the multi quotes come off?
Old 01-05-2009, 02:33 AM   #11
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

JET is my 2nd favorite maverick ever.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:45 AM   #12
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Same.

He's been nothing but a quality player, and a quality person since he's been here.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #13
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
That is high praise indeed. I can't say the same myself. Harper, Blackman, Nash, etc... would top that. I would put him above Hodge though, although I think it's safe to say Hodge and Howard would get along quite nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov View Post
Got you. I see it now. How do you edit so that the multi quotes come off?
Edit your post above and remove it.... (highlight it all, then press backspace).

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
Same.

He's been nothing but a quality player, and a quality person since he's been here.
Add to that the fact that he makes almost all of the Spurs fans skins crawl..... He's a winner in my book.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #14
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
Edit your post above and remove it.... (highlight it all, then press backspace).
lol

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #15
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

and knowing is half the battle

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

If you want proof that Eugene unnerves Spurs fans..... click me
Old 01-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #17
MainEv3nt

MainEv3nt will become famous soon enoughMainEv3nt will become famous soon enough

good read, jet has been one my fav players for a while.