Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-03-2006, 11:18 PM   #161
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Me too, wanted the wife to see it and she won't abide cursing. I just about cannot stand anything with commercials anymore.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #162
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Watched Lord of War last night...solid.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #163
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I never got to finish lord of war ocelot. I got to the point where the brother was out of re-hab and finances were going awry. Did it pick up form there?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #164
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Season 1 of Scrubs.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #165
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I never got to finish lord of war ocelot. I got to the point where the brother was out of re-hab and finances were going awry. Did it pick up form there?
Very much so.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #166
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
My wedding video was in my dvd player this weekend (had family in town). Anyone else seen it? it's a masterpiece.
Is she hot?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:19 PM   #167
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
Last night I watched Crash.

I wish I could like this movie more. The acting is fantastic. Don Cheadle is always reliable. Terence Howard is one of the most under-rated actors working today, and delivers a great performance. Even Matt Dillon, who I hate, was great.

Too bad the direction and story was pretty awful. Hey, guess what gang? Racism is bad!! I'm going to beat you over the head with this fact for 2 hours! There is very little subtlety in this film, and for the most part, no characters, only characatures. This movie was nominated for Best Picture, and that's unfortunate, because it's not that good.
I loved Crash..one of the best movies of the year.

And for whoever didn't like Dances With Wolves, you need to get your head checked.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:27 PM   #168
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

eh, she's alright. she's no keira knightley.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:03 AM   #169
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Magagascar....pretty decent kids flick

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #170
NXperience

NXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to all

Simpsons Season 6 - still after watching it numerous times just great
NXperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #171
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

was just recently watching lost season 1....wow...pure greatness.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 02-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #172
sike
The Preacha

was also watching my "the tick" dvds...

does anyone remember this cartoon? SPOOOOON!

Old 02-07-2006, 12:27 AM   #173
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Just rented Flightplan. It was good for what it was, but they should've casted somebody else instead of Jodie Foster. And that was a lousy bad guy in this movie.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:10 AM   #174
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Just wanted to let everyone know that DeepDiscountDVD.com is currently having a sale on their Criterion Collection dics.

This is both wonderful and horrible.

I love Criterion, but even on sale, they are still pretty expensive. So, goodbye to some money for me for a while.
The first one of these, Kurosawa's "Ikiru" just got here today (it was actually shipped separately, after the other six).

Sadly, sickness and school work has gotten in the way of my film watching, but hopefully I'll be watching some classics and putting up reviews.

The other six should get here soon, including:

A Band of Outsiders
Naked
The Killers
Night and the City
Ran
Seven Samurai

Man, I can't wait!

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #175
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
The first one of these, Kurosawa's "Ikiru" just got here today (it was actually shipped separately, after the other six).

Sadly, sickness and school work has gotten in the way of my film watching, but hopefully I'll be watching some classics and putting up reviews.

The other six should get here soon, including:

A Band of Outsiders
Naked
The Killers
Night and the City
Ran
Seven Samurai

Man, I can't wait!
I usually rent all of the criterion's from the library.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:22 AM   #176
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

"Licencse and registration, chicken fu**er!! Bacaw!!!!"

Old 02-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #177
sike
The Preacha

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXperience
Simpsons Season 6 - still after watching it numerous times just great
ahhh yes....the pure sweet clean genius of season 6!

Old 02-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #178
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Night and the City

You haven't seen desperation until you've seen Richard Widmark's portrayal of Harry Fabian in this film. Noir at its finest. Check it out.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:25 AM   #179
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005)

A quirky film from first time director Miranda July, Me and You and Everyone We Know takes subject matter that could seem somewhat disturbing and makes it seem innocent. The film follows the lives of Richard Swersey, a single father of two, and Christine Jesperson, cab driver and struggling artist, and how they entertwine. It's generally well-acted, though not amazingly so. It has a fun score, some beautiful shots, and some poignant scenes (love the goldfish sequence.)

This film won't be for everyone, and sometimes strays a bit too far into "arty" territory, but it is a fun piece of cinema.

Old 02-13-2006, 01:10 AM   #180
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

the spanish apartment. (good.)
sideways. (good.)
swingers. (classic.)

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #181
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Friends told me to watch it but didnt tell me what it was like, saw it had Jim Carrey so figured it would be funny but it wasnt his normal role. Very very good movie though. Very well written and acted.

Monty Python and the quest for the holy grail.

We started talking about funny movies and a friend of mine had never seen it so we had to watch it. Utter greatness. Without question one of the funniest movies i have ever seen.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #182
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
And for whoever didn't like Dances With Wolves, you need to get your head checked.
I'm glad I am not the only one who hated Dances with Wolves. The indian scenes were extremly boring and the movie changed directions at least 3 times.

Did anyone see The Pianist? VERY moving movie about a Polish Jew and his fight for survival during the Nazi occupation.

BTW, I have added The City of God to my Netflix queue. I hope it is good!
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:19 PM   #183
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Dances with wolves is a classic. Utterly great movie. Costner is a little bit of a whip now but it was a great movie.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #184
sike
The Preacha

Costner has always been a whip....dispite some good flicks (bull durham, field of dreams,etc)

Old 02-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #185
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Costner.... I saw Rumor has it this weekend.

Cool idea for a film. Jennifer Aniston does a good job. The one that made the movie uncomfortable was Costner. So much so that I wanted to walk out. It wasn't his fault totally, mostly the scripts... but that movie at moments gave me the heebie jeebies.

I'll keep this post on topic by saying that when it comes out on DVD I would not suggest renting it... unless you like to get creeped out.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #186
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

Sweet Smell of Success (1957)

Taut, witty noir about how attempting to ruin other people's lives leads to one's own downfall. Tony Curtis plays a press agent who toadies up to a gossip columnist (Burt Lancaster) looking to prevent his younger sister from marrying a jazz guitarist. It also has David White (Larry Tate from "Bewitched") in a small, sleazy role.

Nice black and white cinematography captures the hip yet gritty Manhattan scenes of jazz halls and newspaper rooms.

Two thumbs (and a toe) up
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:15 PM   #187
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Awesome, awesome movie, Mercury.

Recently, I've watched Sideways, Blade Runner, and bits of both 8 1/2 and 25th Hour.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:31 PM   #188
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Costner has always been a whip....dispite some good flicks (bull durham, field of dreams,etc)
Costner's genius... Sike, you're proving yourself to have some awfully bad taste.

If you get a chance, check out the recent movie he was in with Joan Allen... It was a great movie.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:32 PM   #189
Murphy3
Guru

I'll say it again...also check out A Perfect World... It's one of the best unheard of movies in the 90's...
Old 02-21-2006, 11:12 AM   #190
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Costner's genius... Sike, you're proving yourself to have some awfully bad taste.

If you get a chance, check out the recent movie he was in with Joan Allen... It was a great movie.
its called the up side of anger...and I own it. Yup, a pretty decent chick flick...

Quote:
"Costner's genius"
this made me smile.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #191
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I just bought Domino. Nothing spectacular, but pretty good.

Mickey Rourke, by the way, is the man.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 02-22-2006, 12:33 PM   #192
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of sounding gay here..... my wife and I watched Elizabethtown this past weekend.

Not too bad. Yes... it followed a predictable pattern, but we enjoyed it. I wish they would have explained why the (**cough** Nike **cough**) Shoe failed. Although, they didn't try to hide the fact it was Nike too much with the Oregon/Phil references.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:41 PM   #193
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I watched Garden State........ not bad, not bad at all.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #194
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

From the Earth to the Moon box set...

Good stuff.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:04 PM   #195
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

my husband (the best in the world!) bought me Rent yesterday. he knew I was counting the days down until it came out. he didn't get home until almost 10:00 last night so I didn't get to watch it, but I'm about to fire up the dvd player! I LOVE that movie!!!

also, all I hear about at school is how great Grey's Anatomy is. I went to Blockbuster to check out season one but they were out! I'll be going back soon and am hoping it is in when I go. any of you watch it? I just can't believe the number of students and faculty that rave about it!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:19 PM   #196
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Grey's Anatomy is one of the wife's favorites. It's easy to get hooked into it. I want Dr. Yang to die sometimes. She is really annoying.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:50 PM   #197
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp
...also, all I hear about at school is how great Grey's Anatomy is. I went to Blockbuster to check out season one but they were out! I'll be going back soon and am hoping it is in when I go. any of you watch it? I just can't believe the number of students and faculty that rave about it!
Like u2, I'm blaming the wife...

I usually avoid hospital shows like the plague. (doogie howser and scrubs aren't exactly in the same category...) Maybe it's the music and the meaningless sex - I dunno, but Grey's Anatomy is pretty good.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:42 PM   #198
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Just finished up "Naked."

I like to consider myself a bit of a movie buff. I certainly haven't seen everything I want to see, and it's possible that I never will.

But, I'd be hard-pressed to name 5 better performances than David Thewlis' portrayal of Johnny in this film. On the surface, he's so completely unlikeable, and yet, there's so much more to him. He's obviously extremely charming, but his intelligence is the most amazing thing on dsiplay here.

This is a pretty disturbing movie, lots of rough sex scenes, but it is definitely worth a watch if you want to see great acting.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:00 AM   #199
Five-ofan
Guru

Anyone seen when a stranger calls? I like scream and urban legends and it looks kinda similar. Not gonna be a great cinematic work obviously but is it remotely entertaining?
Old 02-24-2006, 03:59 PM   #200
Nash13
Diamond Member

Just rented 3 movies last night:

Thumbsucker- probably the best independent film i've seen (i haven't seen that many)

Havoc- Anne Hathaway is hot, hot, hot. But this movie is a little disturbing, and that says a lot coming from me. There was a rape scene in it that seemed too realistic.

Lord of War- haven't watched it yet.

~The Salesman

Tags
annoying thread title, cadfail goes to work, flash fluff warning, got a bit fluffy in here, inception geeks..., stupidgookisstupid, what the fluff?