Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really sure why so many people are under the impression that we have some grand options at the backup 5 position. I had hopes that Mejri and McGee could hold down the fort as backups, but they just aren't that good. McGee is dumb, and Mejri is inexperienced at an NBA level. Yes, they provide some rim protection, but it sometimes doesn't matter how big and athletic you are if you don't have talent and/or smarts.

Playing Lee at the 5 is pretty much a given, and the way things are going, hey, it couldn't hurt to try it. Mavs have so many issues with defense, offense, and rebounding that him not being a rim protector doesn't mean as much since the team is nowhere near contention. He can help with the offense and rebounding though if he isn't too washed up.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #2
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'm not really sure why so many people are under the impression that we have some grand options at the backup 5 position. I had hopes that Mejri and McGee could hold down the fort as backups, but they just aren't that good. McGee is dumb, and Mejri is inexperienced at an NBA level. Yes, they provide some rim protection, but it sometimes doesn't matter how big and athletic you are if you don't have talent and/or smarts.

Playing Lee at the 5 is pretty much a given, and the way things are going, hey, it couldn't hurt to try it. Mavs have so many issues with defense, offense, and rebounding that him not being a rim protector doesn't mean as much since the team is nowhere near contention. He can help with the offense and rebounding though if he isn't too washed up.
If Lee and Zaza are your 5 men get used to losing like RC's "smart" team lost last night. Teams will go to the hoop with impunity and rain threes from inside out. I hope that you enjoy those games. I won't.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
If Lee and Zaza are your 5 men get used to losing like RC's "smart" team lost last night. Teams will go to the hoop with impunity and rain threes from inside out. I hope that you enjoy those games. I won't.
Even a good rim protector can't fix the defense. We had Tyson last season, and he couldn't cover up for everyone else. The talent simply isn't there.

I think Matthews and Harris are the team's best defenders followed by Pachulia's decent man defense aaaaand? Not one elite defender on the team and not even sure we have very good ones either. Mediocre-good at best.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Quote:
Even a good rim protector can't fix the defense. We had Tyson last season, and he couldn't cover up for everyone else. The talent simply isn't there.

I think Matthews and Harris are the team's best defenders followed by Pachulia's decent man defense aaaaand? Not one elite defender on the team and not even sure we have very good ones either. Mediocre-good at best.
Zeebo would probably refer to McGee as an elite defender.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
minkbarn

minkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to all

Please do not get your hopes up with David Lee.

He killed the Celtics chemistry no matter who he played with. The team was immediately and dramatically better as soon as he was benched. He was THE cause of many losses. They were SO much better when he stopped playing. That's when they won.

He just can't get his shot off any more inside. Opposing teams score easily when he is in the game.

The team was instantly improved by a wide margin by playing Jerebko and Zeller over Lee. No D. Empty stats. His shot will be blocked many times leading to opponent fast breaks.

This is not going to end well for the Mavs.

He's done.
minkbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkbarn View Post
Please do not get your hopes up with David Lee.

He killed the Celtics chemistry no matter who he played with. The team was immediately and dramatically better as soon as he was benched. He was THE cause of many losses. They were SO much better when he stopped playing. That's when they won.

He just can't get his shot off any more inside. Opposing teams score easily when he is in the game.

The team was instantly improved by a wide margin by playing Jerebko and Zeller over Lee. No D. Empty stats. His shot will be blocked many times leading to opponent fast breaks.

He's done.
We're Mavs fans. What else are we going to do? This season has been getting worse by the month.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-20-2016 at 04:31 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #7
minkbarn

minkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
We're Mavs fans. What else are we going to do?
The Mavs will be fine. It's a great organization with uniquely competitive ownership.

The franchise is probably entering a transitional period, but they'll find their way. They've carved themselves a good place in the league and in the minds of players.

That's a good place to be for the long haul.
minkbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:22 PM   #8
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Mavs will be fine. It's a great organization with uniquely competitive ownership.
The problem is that Cuban is running out of options for staying competitive.
I think Donnie and Mark are doing well at piecing together a team year after year but that strategy is causing this team to trend downward and will continue until Dirk retires.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #9
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It wasn't going to end well for the Mavs anyway -- I don't see any harm in trading out someone who doesn't play for David Lee... Plus, a little new blood might do wonders for this team (and if it doesn't, well, it's not like we were contending for a ring anyway...)

I see this as a low-risk, low-reward move.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
+1
Lee has good bbiq could spell both ZaZa and Dirk.
Was Donovan the coach at Florida when Lee played there?
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #11
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I see this as Amare all over again but this time with no option for rim protection in the frontcourt rotation.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I see this as Amare all over again but this time with no option for rim protection in the frontcourt rotation.
So?
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #13
DGM
Banned

Quote:
It wasn't going to end well for the Mavs anyway -- I don't see any harm in trading out someone who doesn't play for David Lee... Plus, a little new blood might do wonders for this team (and if it doesn't, well, it's not like we were contending for a ring anyway...)

I see it as high risk/low reward. That $2.1 million could have been used for Joe Johnson (if he is bought out). Mavs need a 2/3 more than a 4/5. If we had a player like Johnson Wes could play his natural position and we could have one smurf on the court at a time.

By the way, I hate that f'ing substitution of Felton for Dirk. This team has been badly managed in 16.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:21 PM   #14
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I see it as high risk/low reward. That $2.1 million could have been used for Joe Johnson (if he is bought out). Mavs need a 2/3 more than a 4/5. If we had a player like Johnson Wes could play his natural position and we could have one smurf on the court at a time.

By the way, I hate that f'ing substitution of Felton for Dirk. This team has been badly managed in 16.
So what's the risk?

Old 02-20-2016, 11:28 PM   #15
DGM
Banned

Quote:
So what's the risk?
The money has been spent on Lee. It's gone
Old 02-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #16
Underdog

Quote:
The money has been spent on Lee. It's gone
Sorry, but there's nothing "high risk" about a $2.1m deal for a half-season rental that doesn't affect next year's cap whatsoever... Like, if you don't have some theory about how he's going to be a locker room cancer that drives Parsons out of Dallas and forces Dirk to retire, then you don't have much of an argument to make here. This is as low-risk a move as you're going to find in the NBA.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-21-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:10 AM   #17
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:

Rumors are that Johnson won't be bought out. You can't hope for something that hasn't happened. You gotta get while the getting is good, and Lee is a reasonably good buyout player. If he was an amazing rim protecting center, then he wouldn't be available. Buyout players usually aren't the cream of the crop.

He might be a bit washed up now, but the guy was the starting PF for the Warriors averaging 18/9 just two seasons ago.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #18
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
If he was an amazing rim protecting center, then he wouldn't be available. Buyout players usually aren't the cream of the crop.
But he will keep a rim protector off the court which will compound a problem we already have. I was pissed when RC was replacing Zaza with Powell and now McGee and Mejri will be 4 and 5 on our center depth chart.