Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-10-2002, 07:52 PM   #1
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- This round's on Kevin Garnett.

The Minnesota Timberwolves will hand out a coupon for a free soda or beer to the first 10,000 fans attending Wednesday's game against the Phoenix Suns, courtesy of their All-Star forward.

Garnett, speaking about his desire to get Target Center crowds screaming and yelling at the start of games, said earlier in the season: "It's got to be a rat house in here. It's got to be crazy. I'm talking about the first 10,000 drinks on me."

So at the first game after the All-Star break, the Timberwolves will take Garnett up on his offer.

At around $5 a drink -- only those 21 and older are, of course, allowed to choose a beer -- the tab will be about $50,000. But that shouldn't be much of a financial burden for Garnett, who's in the fourth season of a six-year, $126 million contract.

The Timberwolves will also reduce $20 seats in the upper bowl to $5 for the Suns game.

Garnett's comment was published in Sports Illustrated in November, after which fans began to pester team officials with questions about whether Garnett was serious, said Timberwolves vice president and chief marketing officer Chris Wright.

"We approached KG and said, 'OK, you said it. Are you willing to do it?"' Wright said. "He said, 'Absolutely."'

The Suns game was picked because former Timberwolves stars Stephon Marbury and Tom Gugliotta play for Phoenix. Marbury, who was traded to New Jersey in 1999 after he decided he didn't want to play in Minnesota anymore, is booed heartily each time he plays at Target Center.

"We tend to plan our promotions pretty far in advance," Wright said. "This one stood out like a sore thumb."

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2002, 09:29 PM   #2
LAC-HocusPocus
Banned

LAC-HocusPocus is on a distinguished road

Don't say that around here, you may get verbally abused for it.
LAC-HocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 06:02 AM   #3
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Of course say this around here! KG is the best player in the league...
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 10:22 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, I think it's pretty cool that Garnett did that. It's about time some of the young NBA guys realize that fans pay their way and that they better appreciate them and do little things like this. I also like that he is showing pride in his team and arena. I've never really liked Garnet before...I think I'll revisit that ideal.

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:40 PM   #5
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

There may discussions around here about who is better, Dirk or Garnett. I take KG right now, but in a couple of year Dirk may surpass him.

Nobody should ever question anything else. From what I have heard he is a great teammate, great guy, and plays hard. These are tough things to be when you are 20-21 and someone drops 150 million into your lap.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 02:09 PM   #6
ma-gaga

ma-gaga is on a distinguished road

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] My 'big' argument is that he has actually gotten better since signing the big money deal. Some players play worse. Some get hurt. Making $22M a year, and no-one is claiming he's overpaid.

Juwan doesn't get that respect. Big Country didn't get that respect. There are dozens of athletes that are overpaid. You don't hear about it for KG, even though he has one of the highest EVER contract.

but i'm biased. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
ma-gaga is offline   Reply With Quote