Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-27-2004, 11:19 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nash focused on game, but contract issue is always present

Nash focused on game, but contract issue is always present

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

A good point guard doesn't just see the play in front of him. He has a feel for what's going on around him.

So Steve Nash can focus on Thursday's playoff game all he wants. That doesn't mean he ignores the possibility that it could be the last time he takes the court in a Mavericks uniform with Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley.

"It's always sort of there, that uncertainty," said Nash, who will become a free agent at the end of the season. "It's something I can't really control right now. I'm just trying to figure out our team and figure out how we can improve. But yeah, it's there.

"That's the most articulate way I can say it."

It's hard to articulate with any certainty what will happen if Dallas is bounced out in the first round.

We do know the experiment didn't work. It doesn't matter how many offensive players you add to a good offense. That doesn't guarantee you'll become a better team.

We do know owner Mark Cuban and coach Don Nelson are two strong-willed individuals who aren't afraid to lock horns. That can be a volatile mix in the best of times.

And we do know Nash will opt out of his contract. Forget how he stacks up with the league's other elite point guards. If Nash returned next season at his scheduled salary of $6 million, he would rank behind Tariq Abdul-Wahad on the Mavericks' payroll.

All that was in play before the series with Sacramento. Now that the Mavericks find themselves down 3-1, these issues are likely to be broached sooner rather than later.

Coaches and personnel directors around the league believe the Mavericks will take a step back if Nash doesn't return to run Nelson's offense. Remember how long it took Nash to catch on to what Nelson wanted done.

But what if Nelson isn't back? What if Cuban decides to make a coaching change? Nash can adapt to any style, but he may no longer be the central piece to the team's success. Even though Nash wants to return, a coaching change would introduce a new dynamic into the negotiations.

You also have to wonder where Cuban stands. He signed Nowitzki to an extension. He signed Finley to an extension. Yet to this stage, he's been unwilling to commit long-term money to a 30-year-old point guard, no matter how much he's meant to the franchise.

That's what lies ahead for Nash. But right now, the Mavericks point guard has his hands full with the present.

Nash had a chance to send Monday night's game into overtime. But his off-balance, 17-foot shot with three-tenths of a second left wasn't close.

"I would have liked to have gotten the ball to Dirk on the mismatch, but with the clock winding down I didn't know if there was time," Nash said. "If I passed it to him, they could have double-teamed him then he wouldn't have had time to make a pass. Then our spacing broke down. There wasn't much room to maneuver.

"I had a tough shot."

He's had a tough series.

Nash has averaged 11 points and shot 35.3 percent from the field in the four games. Those are his worst postseason numbers since he was a bit player for Phoenix his first two years in the league.

Sacramento has made stopping the two-man game between Nash and Nowitzki its defensive priority. The Kings put defensive ace Doug Christie on Nash in key stretches. The team traps him constantly to get the ball out of his hands. They flood the pick-and-roll with three defenders, forcing Nash or Nowitzki to swing the ball to whoever is open on the weak side.

"Sometimes I feel out of the game," Nash said. "I feel like I haven't had as much impact on it as I normally do or would like to."

The perception is that Sacramento's Mike Bibby has outplayed Nash in this series. He's averaging nearly twice as many points (20.5) and has come up big late in games.

But the Mavericks haven't focused on slowing Bibby. Dallas has turned its defensive attention to Chris Webber and Peja Stojakovic.

Now the Mavericks must turn their attention to the improbable task of winning three straight games, two at Arco Arena.

"We don't feel like we're on top of the world by any stretch," Nash said. "We have a lot to overcome.

"But you know, hopefully we can prove to ourselves that we are still alive."

The thing is, even if the Mavericks stay alive for another game or two, that doesn't make the future any more certain.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:40 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Nash focused on game, but contract issue is always present

Quote:
You also have to wonder where Cuban stands. He signed Nowitzki to an extension. He signed Finley to an extension. Yet to this stage, he's been unwilling to commit long-term money to a 30-year-old point guard, no matter how much he's meant to the franchise.
Honest to god, I should become a reporter. You can just make up any old thing and get paid for it. I guess this joke of a journalist doesn't realize that this is the first offseason that Nash will even be eligible for a big raise.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:44 AM   #3
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default RE:Nash focused on game, but contract issue is always present

Quote:

"Sometimes I feel out of the game," Nash said. "I feel like I haven't had as much impact on it as I normally do or would like to."
Nash is the pg and he should handle the ball 70% of the time. This point forward experiment and giving other people the playmaking responsibility has hurt Nash. Nash is a very pg. I don't see why the Nelson's are screwing around with that formula. Give Nash the ball and let him create.

Old 04-28-2004, 01:10 AM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nash is the pg and he should handle the ball 70% of the time. This point forward experiment and giving other people the playmaking responsibility has hurt Nash. Nash is a very pg. I don't see why the Nelson's are screwing around with that formula. Give Nash the ball and let him create.
For the most part, the point forward it a thing of the past. Nash is sucking on his own. Mark Stein seems to think that Utah may be willing to Max him out in money and years. If they do, I think Cuban will try to facilitate a sign and trade.

Old 04-28-2004, 01:15 AM   #5
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

The problem is that Steve Nash is the only guy on this team who can create. Why do you think Sacramento is making him the priority?

Last season, Nick could help in that regard and create something when the offense broke down. Who do you want doing that this year? Walker? We've already been there. No, this is where the Mavs miss Nick the most. We miss his creativity.

Our best hope is an undrafted rookie. That's a lot to ask...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:19 AM   #6
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I personally think our best hope is to post up Dirk more.

Dirno, do you have a link to wherever Stein said he thought Utah would try to max out Steve? I find that kind of surprising.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:29 AM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

No link, he was on ESPN radio today with Coop. It was all speculation on his part. I found it suprising too since Arroyo had an ok good year for them.

Cuban is on record saying that if he had to, he would do a sign and trade with Nash.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:45 AM   #8
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The point still lies do you pay big money to a 30 year old point guard.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:06 AM   #9
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
The point still lies do you pay big money to a 30 year old point guard.
That isn't the question to me, because it is Marks money. The question is how long do you pay big money. He can max him out for all I care, and max out TAW to sit on the IR as long as they keep winning. They will be over the cap till Fin, Dirk, AJ's, Bradley, and Nahera contracts expire anyway.

My question is "Can Mark max Nash out, but only in years till the contracts of Dirk, Fin, and AJ expire (2007 I think)? That would make Nash 33-35.

Then they will be out of cap "hell" all in one year, and can decide who they need to keep, and who needs to go.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote