Old 04-27-2004, 08:34 PM   #41
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Last night was Disgusting!

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Quote:
The Mavs offense went away with Finley.
Do you mean went away from Finley? Or Finley's shooting caused the Mavs offense to head south?
Both. It hurts the offense incredibly when Fin is off. It hurts even more when Nellie gives his shots away to rookies. I don't care how bad he was shooting, it was rediculous for Nellie to basically make him the 4th option. I would much rather see Fin posting up than Marquis even though Mrquis has become a good player. Its funny how Nellie just can't handle too many offensive players. Early in the season it was Walker who Nellie let go wild. The Big 3 start sepping up and then Marqhuis gets hot and nellie lets him run wild. It amazes me that everyone but Nellie understands that the Mavs can't win without the Big 3.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:52 PM   #42
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Last night was Disgusting!

Well to be honest I thought that the mavs played a pretty inspired game. They just didn't hit their ft's and were incredibly unlucky around the basket. Both fin and dirk took it to the hoop over and over again, got to the line and if they hit their normal (marquis as well) ft's we win that by 10 or more probably.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:56 PM   #43
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really buy the monday-morning quarterbacking on this one. Again the mavs got to the hoop, couldn't finish and couldn't make fts. Also got-outrebounded because josh/'quis got some bs calls to take them out.

One thing that I can't remember however is how many (if any) open outside looks dirk got. He seemed to never get a good look (however he looked terrrible when he did).
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-27-2004, 09:03 PM   #44
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

The bottom line is the best free throw shooting team shot 56% from the free throw line. That's where they lost the game. Even with everyone's bad shooting performance they still had a chance to win and they blew it at the free throw line. To miss 15 free throws or however many it was and lose by two points it's down right disgraceful. Last night I questioned coaching, I questioned shot selection, I questioned hustle but what it boils down to is these men couldn't convert the simplest of tasks which is free throw shooting. That is what's disgusting!!!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:19 PM   #45
dude1394
Guru

I've always heard that missing ft's was contagious. I had never seen it until last night. It's a sure killer.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:31 PM   #46
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
I've always heard that missing ft's was contagious. I had never seen it until last night. It's a sure killer.

It started to get real weird when JAMISON got FOULED shooting A THREE POINTER!

Of all players to shoot a 3 this year and Jamison gets fouled....misses 2 of 3 and the rest is history.

Then when Finley misses 2 out of his next 4 freebies you know you're in the twilight zone.....and when Dirk misses more than 1 free throw in a game you know you're beyond it....
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:07 AM   #47
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
I don't really buy the monday-morning quarterbacking on this one. Again the mavs got to the hoop, couldn't finish and couldn't make fts. Also got-outrebounded because josh/'quis got some bs calls to take them out.

One thing that I can't remember however is how many (if any) open outside looks dirk got. He seemed to never get a good look (however he looked terrrible when he did).

I agree. You can't score when you can't hit shots. Dirk didn't get many open shots at all but he did miss the ones he had though. Fin missed more than usual too but I can't complain because they both took it to the hoop and couldn't even get layups to go in.

However, I still think Nelson took a big step away from fin and that wasn't smart. It also seemed like Nellie has really stopped coaching this postseason. I know a coach can't make shots for players but there are certain plays usually get Fin and Dirk going at some point. The curl cut into the lane normally works for both of them I can only think of a few occasions when I saw that. I also haven't seen many adjustments to the Kings defensive gameplan. Portland figured out the pick n roll last year in Game 2 and Nellie quickly adjusted by setting the screen twice from different angles. In the Kings series last year the person guarded by Christie mostly since he double on the pick n roll flashed to the freethrow line for an easy shot there. I really haven't seen that type of adjustment this year. Nellie definitely isn't calling plays as much as in the past and I don't know if it is strategic or if he has quit already.