Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Cowboy's coaching search thread

Turner becomes leading candidate

By MAC ENGEL
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

IRVING -- Norv Turner is coming to interview for the Cowboys' head coaching job Sunday and appears to be the leading candidate to replace Bill Parcells.

The San Francisco 49ers reportedly have made a substantial offer to keep Turner, the team's offensive coordinator, from even interviewing with the Cowboys. But Turner, who is in Mobile, Ala., as a coach in the Senior Bowl today, will still interview with the Cowboys and has emerged as the favorite to coach the team, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation.

Turner has a history with Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones and has been a head coach twice previously in the NFL, with Washington (1994-2000) and Oakland (2004-05).

He was the offensive coordinator for the Cowboys in their Super Bowl-winning seasons of 1992 and 1993 and groomed Troy Aikman. He also coached Jason Garrett as one of the backup quarterbacks in 1993, and Garrett on Thursday was named to the Cowboys' staff, presumably as the offensive coordinator.

Turner was offensive coordinator of the San Diego Chargers in 2001 and the Miami Dolphins in 2002-03.

New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs, who was on the Cowboys' staff for four seasons before this one, will interview with Jones today at Valley Ranch.

He follows another defensive coordinator, Wade Phillips of the San Diego Chargers, who spent most of Friday at Cowboys' headquarters.

Sporting his Sunday best -- in this case a blue suit and tie -- Phillips arrived at Valley Ranch at 8:30 a.m. and left around 3:20 p.m. He met with Jerry Jones, president Stephen Jones, former coach Bill Parcells and Garrett about the vacant position.

"I think [Jerry Jones] knows what I'm about," Phillips said in a six-minute session with the media.

"I don't think [the coaching decision] will be a long, drawn-out process," Phillips said. "That's what I've been told."

Phillips said of his conversation with Parcells, "He said he'd help any way he could and he will, personnel-wise or anything. We did talk a little bit about some of the personnel they had here, and he thought who could play and how well. Which is helpful, and if I were to be here, that would be something I would tap into him and see a lot more in-depth about the players that are here."

Phillips, 60, spent the past three seasons as the defensive coordinator in San Diego. He's been an NFL head coach twice. Both times he was fired.

He coached the Denver Broncos to a 9-7 record in 1993 and was 7-9 in '94, then was replaced by Mike Shanahan. Phillips compiled a 29-19 record with the Buffalo Bills from 1998 through 2000.

Despite his less-than-ceremonious departures from both jobs, Phillips remains highly regarded as an astute defensive coach who runs the 3-4. It's those last two numbers that intrigue Jones.

Under Parcells, the Cowboys drafted and signed players to fit that scheme. One player, linebacker DeMarcus Ware, was selected one pick ahead of Shawne Merriman, who flourished under Phillips in San Diego. Merriman led the NFL with 17 sacks this season.

"I wished we could have had both of them," Phillips said. "[Ware] is a really good, young player. I think he's going to develop into a great player."

The Chargers' defense ranked seventh in the NFL in fewest points allowed this season.

Even though the Cowboys have hired Garrett to be the offensive coordinator, at least, and are ostensibly grooming him to be a head coach, Phillips expressed no concerns.

"In this day and time, to get good coaches sometimes you have to put the cart before the horse," Phillips said. "In this situation, if you have good coaches, a lot of times you want to keep them."

Phillips said he believes Garrett is a "rising star." He just doesn't know him well.

What he does know is that this Cowboys team has the potential to be good.

"Bill Parcells was here and put together a solid team. That's pretty important already," Phillips said. "They were in the playoffs. That's a good start for any head coach coming in."

IN THE KNOW

Updating the Cowboys' search

Who's hot

Norv Turner, 49ers offensive coordinator

Wade Phillips, Chargers defensive coordinator

Gary Gibbs, Saints defensive coordinator

Wild card

Jason Garrett, Cowboys offensive coordinator
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be happy with Phillips. I'll be thoroughly upset with Turner or Gibbs.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I just can't get my head around the idea of a retread coach coaching the Cowboys. If Jerry doesn't want to hire Jason Garrett then wait for Rivera or interview one of Buddy Ryan's kids.

But if it comes down to Phillips and Turner, give me Phillips too. At least he's won in the league.

BTW, here’s an excerpt from a 2004 Bill Simmons article. I thought it was funny at the time...now it's not so amusing.

-----------------------------

HOUSTON -- In honor of Norv Turner getting hired by the Raiders today, I'm running an excerpt from a Vegas column that appeared on my old website (posted on May 7, 2001). In the column, I'm describing a Sunday breakfast at Mandalay Bay with three of my buddies -- including our friend Hopper, who played blackjack until the wee hours with Turner, who had been recently fired in Washington. It's one of my favorite stories ... and it's absolutely, 100-percent true.

Late Sunday morning ...

We're eating breakfast (Bish, Hopper, Mike and myself) as Hopper recounts his blackjack experience with Norv Turner -- or as he likes to call it, "My Brush With Non-Greatness":

"Norv was up about two grand," Hopper explains. "Suddenly he scaled down his bets from $100 to $25 and started playing conservatively, like he had taken a pill that turned him into a giant wuss. I couldn't believe it. He stayed on '16' against a (dealer's) face card three times in a 10-minute span. All three times, he screwed me, and I ended up with his crappy card. All three times, the dealer ended up crushing us. And Norv's just sitting there with this dumb smile on his face, counting his hundred-dollar chips. Meanwhile, I'm losing a hundred a hand.

"So after the third time it happened, I leaned back, looked at the ceiling and muttered, 'The coach ... is ... KILLING me ...' Just like that. The coach ... is ... KILLING me. Up until that point, he didn't know that I knew who he was. He stayed for two more hands and bolted. I drove him away."

The mental image of a failed football coach mangling a blackjack table and driving Hopper insane was just too good ... for the next 15 minutes, we couldn't stop talking about it. How could a man get hired to coach an NFL team when he can't even play blackjack? We were flabbergasted by this. For instance, would someone like Mike Shanahan ever stay on "16" when the dealer had a "10" showing? I mean, EVER? Of course not.

"Norv seemed like a nice enough guy," Hopper said, "but there wasn't anything 'coach-like' about him. Can you imagine someone like Parcells just sitting there and taking it while I bitched about him at a blackjack table, right in his face?"

"How many teams has Norv coached?" Mike asked.

"He was an assistant in Dallas and the head coach in Washington," I answered. "In both places, he lost respect of the players pretty quickly."

"I can see why," Hopper sneered.

We started talking about something else. About 10 minutes later, Hopper started shaking his head again. He couldn't stop thinking about Norv.

"If I owned an NFL team," Hopper said, "before I hired a coach, I'd take him to Vegas for a weekend and play blackjack with him. That would tell me everything I needed to know about the guy. Everything."
Old 01-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

norm chow. Thats all i have to say. Norm chow. As for the sports guy, i like reading him and he is funny but he has no clue about football. He is honestly one of the worst football analyst ive ever read and its because of the same reason he thinks he knows football. Hes played too much madden. Dont get me wrong i play madden too and im pretty darn good when I do BUT madden has almost nothing to do with real football.

Edit-as for turner, he knows offense. Theres no question about that. Just look at the raiders with him last year and without him this year and 49ers without him last year and with him this year. I just dont think hes a good head coach though. Would love to have seen him come back as OC though...

Last edited by Five-ofan; 01-27-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

What a crappy year to be having to hire a head coach.

Ugh.

I'd rather not let Turner back in Texas even as a visitor. Give me Phillips with the choices but certainly there has to be better pickings out there. I wouldn't balk at Chow.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I always thought Turner left Dallas on pretty good terms.

Lost the respect of the players?

Any amplification on this assertion?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I never heard anything about that either. Norv and Troy are still good frineds. In fact, if Norv is the favorite it's probably in large part due to Troy's influence.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

In listening to the Aikman show today on the radio... it sounded like Aikman was all but endorsing Garrett.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Whether Turner, Phillips, or Garrett --- who ends up the DC?

I am guessing that means that Ryan, Rivera, and Singletary are off limits (any of the three I would like as the DC).

I wouldn't mind Garrett as HC, Turner as OC, and Phillips as DC --- (not that it will or can happen). If Garrett or Turner get it, I am worried about the DC though.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
In listening to the Aikman show today on the radio... it sounded like Aikman was all but endorsing Garrett.
Interesting. I thought Troy would indorse Norv since this could be his last shot at a head coaching job. If Garrett doesn't get the job he'll likely get another shot somewhere down the road.

Quote:
Whether Turner, Phillips, or Garrett --- who ends up the DC?

I am guessing that means that Ryan, Rivera, and Singletary are off limits (any of the three I would like as the DC).
My guess would be Todd Bowles. There was some talk that even if Bill stayed he was going to let Zimmer walk and promote Bowles to defensive coordinator.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Todd Bowles? I don't know enough about him to know if he is good or not, but I have a hard time saying that any coach on the defensive side of the ball should be promoted after the expectations they had, but didn't accomplish.

Unless Bill/Zim were the problem, then how do you promote Bowles?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping for garret. Tired of guys who couldn't get it done. Turner especially not getting it done at Washington in 7 years doesn't do much for me.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #13
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I really hope it's not Turner, he did a great job with our SF offense this year. I want him back as the O-cordinator.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't hold not getting it done in Washington against anyone...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #15
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I don't hold not getting it done in Washington against anyone...
or Oakland for that matter....

If the rumors about him being the frontrunner are true, and we hire him to groom Garrett.... who is the DC? Wade Phillips?
Old 01-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #16
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

I am pulling for Garrett and hope he can do for the Cowboys what Avery has done for the Mavs.

Having a young, energetic coach who played a key position fairly recently may be a big plus.

I can see Garrett groom Tony Romo.

Is there anyway that we could have a betting section with vchips on who the next coach will be? I have a hunch it will be Garrett.
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #17
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same hunch, Big Shot. I think they've decided Red is their guy unless they get wowed by one of the other three.

Of course, part of me also wonders if they might have something else up their sleeve. An out of the blue guy like Wade Wilson or something. But, I'm thinking Garrett to coach and Bowles to head the defense.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:35 PM   #18
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

man i'm thinking the cowboys are gonna go with norv turner, only for the relationship him and jerry have. they're gonna groom garrett and bring him in as HC in two years unless turner wins a superbowl
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:40 AM   #19
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
or Oakland for that matter....

If the rumors about him being the frontrunner are true, and we hire him to groom Garrett.... who is the DC? Wade Phillips?
There's no way SD gave us permission to talk to Phillips about any position but head coach.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 01-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #20
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

The Peter Principle comes into play with Norv.

Dude can sure can NOT win with a franchise. Snyder, Davis, Jones.... he'll have roped and doped them all.

I'm a 49er fan and I hope he stays in SF but if he goes to Dallas, it would be the best place for him to be a HC (from a 49ers fan's POV). *evil snicker*

But I hope he stays for Alex's benefit.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

woultn't mind Phillips for two years while grooming JG for the role...

doubt WP would be hot for that.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #22
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

from listening to BaD radio today, you'd think they already hired Turner
Old 01-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #23
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
from listening to BaD radio today, you'd think they already hired Turner
Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus.

I hope they're wrong, because right now I feel like it's 2002 all over again....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #24
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Hall of Famer Singletary to interview for Dallas job

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Although Norv Turner likely remains the front-runner for the Dallas Cowboys' vancant head coaching position, Hall of Famer Mike Singletary will also interview for the job, ESPN's Ed Werder and Chris Mortensen reported on Monday.

A former Chicago Bears great, Singletary currently is the San Francisco 49ers' assistant head coach and linebackers coach.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is sensitive to complying with the Rooney Rule requiring teams to consider minority candidates. Jones has already interviewed secondary coach Todd Bowles, an African-American defensive assistant from Bill Parcells' staff. But he might delay announcing a hire if the league believes others should be included in the process because of Dallas' visibilty and prominence.

Werder reported on Sunday that Turner, the offensive coordinator with the San Francisco 49ers, impressed Jones, Parcells and vice president Stephen Jones. Turner was the Cowboys' offensive coordinator from 1991-93.

He was not offered the position, but talks were expected to continue.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:44 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

I wish. Singletary is awesome.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #26
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Singletary isn't ready to run a defense, according to the 49ers. Certainly don't want him as the head coach.

Phillips as head coach, Singletary as DC, Garrett as OC...I could handle that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-29-2007, 10:07 PM   #27
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I read this as Jerry trying to make sure he's compliant with the Roony rule before hiring Norv.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #28
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I read this as Jerry trying to make sure he's compliant with the Roony rule before hiring Norv.
Oh, I do too.

Just wishful thinking on my part.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #29
Drbio
Banned

Bringing in a minority candidate just to have one interview is offensive if that person is not viewed as a legitimate candidate.

Does anyone else find that rule offensive?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:50 PM   #30
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

i agree doc, it totally defeats the purpose of the rule. Rather than giving a candidate a fair shot, they bring him in as a lame duck. Rule sucks . I'd love to see Singletary on the cowboys in some capacity, preferrably as DC
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #31
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomThaMavsFan
i agree doc, it totally defeats the purpose of the rule. Rather than giving a candidate a fair shot, they bring him in as a lame duck. Rule sucks . I'd love to see Singletary on the cowboys in some capacity, preferrably as DC
but then you have Lovie Smith saying its a good thing...and that he wouldn't be where he was today...blah, blah...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:32 AM   #32
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
he already did that with Todd Bowels. so i don't think it's that.

Last edited by mkat; 01-30-2007 at 12:33 AM.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:54 AM   #33
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Get ready for Turner, Campo and three straight 5-11 seasons. And crappy draft picks by Jerry. And Romo's promising career being flushed down the toilet.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:09 AM   #34
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
he already did that with Todd Bowels. so i don't think it's that.
The rule says that you have to interview a "qualified" minority candidate and even sends a list to teams at the end of the season. I've heard some speculation that they might question Bowles' courtesy interview. By bringing in Singletery, they make sure their bases are covered.

There’s also been some talk that Norv may what Singletery as his defensive coordinator so Jerry kills two birds with one stone.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:56 AM   #35
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

The minority rule is idiotic. Talk about marginalizing minorities.

I can't help but notice that the percentage of black tailbacks in the NFL largely outweighs the percentage of black folks in the United States population. Let's propose a new rule, requiring "qualified" players of all races to be tried out for every position in training camp.

'tarded.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:06 AM   #36
dirno2000
Diamond Member

The problem with that example is that if you're a good young tailback then the system is in place to at least get you a look. Traditionally that hasn't been the case with minority coaches.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:50 AM   #37
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Can't believe so many are high on Garrett. He hasn't even coached a game in his life and we want him to all of a sudden be the coach of the Cowboys? Head coach at that?

Earlier I was against Turner being our head coach. I think he's a pushover. If a player has a problem with Turner he will turn to Jerry just like the players use to do when Chan Gailey and Dave Campo were here. I'll give Parcells credit for one thing. Players knew their place. No one ever tested him and when they did they were cut(Derek Ross, Antonio Bryant, Troy Hambrick just to name a few).

Quote:
The minority rule is idiotic. Talk about marginalizing minorities.

I can't help but notice that the percentage of black tailbacks in the NFL largely outweighs the percentage of black folks in the United States population. Let's propose a new rule, requiring "qualified" players of all races to be tried out for every position in training camp.

'tarded.
Its far from idiotic IMO. So many minority coaches just like quarterbacks in earlier years were looked over because of the color of their skin. Now i'm not sure if this rule will all of a sudden make the league hire more minority coaches but atleast they are looked at even if it is sparingly.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #38
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
The problem with that example is that if you're a good young tailback then the system is in place to at least get you a look. Traditionally that hasn't been the case with minority coaches.
This is true, but do minority coaches feel that they are getting a fair shake in the interview process or are they jsut there as the mandatory interview. It seems to me that every time a white coach is hired they are perceived as a going-through-the-motions interview and that is patently unfair.

Guys like Lovie Smith et al deserve much more as they have proven themselves to be the best candidate.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #39
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest

Its far from idiotic IMO. So many minority coaches just like quarterbacks in earlier years were looked over because of the color of their skin. Now i'm not sure if this rule will all of a sudden make the league hire more minority coaches but atleast they are looked at even if it is sparingly.
I have thought about this point a lot as well. If progress is indeed being made then the Rooney Rule probably has a place for a limited time until the process catches up with reality. But the negatives far outwiegh the positives imho. I too think it marginalizes minority candidates.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #40
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The way understand it, a big reason for the Rooney Rule was to get black coaches interviews, not necessarily jobs (immediately, anyway). The idea was that the coaching cadre was a closed circle, and not only were black coaches not being hired, but they weren't even being considered.

So the Rooney Rule did two things: A) it made it not an unusual thing that black coaches were considered for job openings, and B) it gave potential black head coaches experience in the actual interview/hiring process itself, for when their time did come.

Once can only wonder if the color of the coaching landscape these days would be the same even without the Rooney Rule...but it certainly doesn't seem to have hurt.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote