Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #41
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
There’s also been some talk that Norv may what Singletery as his defensive coordinator so Jerry kills two birds with one stone.
Could we get Singletery as a Defensive Cor. without compensation for the 9rs?

Mike as Def Cor, Jason Off. Cor, Norv Head Coach...I'd like that...

could Mike S. run the 3-4?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 01-30-2007 at 12:22 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #42
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

i don't see why they wouldn't just switch back to the 4-3. Ware could play DE pretty well in it, and maybe they could move Marcus Spears outta here.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #43
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Spears wouldn't make a good gap filling tackle beside Furgusen?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 01-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #44
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Could we get Singletery as a Defensive Cor. without compensation for the 9rs?

Mike as Def Cor, Jason Off. Cor, Norv Head Coach...I'd like that...

could Mike S. run the 3-4?
I doubt Nolan would let Singletery go to be our defensive coordinatior. Especially after we hire Norv away.

Mike Nolan is a 3-4 coach but the Niners don't really have the personel. They've kind of gone back and fourth so Singletery does have some experience with the 3-4. I don't think that we have to be married to that defense though.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #45
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Spears wouldn't make a good gap filling tackle beside Furgusen?
i don't know..maybe. he just seems like he doesn't give a rat's ass if he plays well or not.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #46
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I doubt Nolan would let Singletery go to be our defensive coordinatior. Especially after we hire Norv away.

Mike Nolan is a 3-4 coach but the Niners don't really have the personel. They've kind of gone back and fourth so Singletery does have some experience with the 3-4. I don't think that we have to be married to that defense though.
defensive coordinator is still a promotion for him though isnt it? So he should still be able to get out i thought?
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:43 PM   #47
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. He's under contract. Would only be allowed to leave for HC position unless the Niners get compensation.

Hey, Jerry, leave our 7-9 staff alone, Jerk.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #48
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
defensive coordinator is still a promotion for him though isnt it? So he should still be able to get out i thought?
No, they changed the rules. Unless it's for head coach, a team can prevent a coach with a contract from taking a promotion from somewhere else.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #49
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

what kind of compensation are we talking here? If its a few thousand bucks i could see that but if its any kind of draft pick even a 7th rounder i wouldnt hire him...
Old 01-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #50
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

LoL. A few thousand bucks - that wouldn't even be enough to compensate the 49ers for the scouting and interviewing they'd have to do for replacement candidates.

I think a 3rd or 4th would get talks started. The 49ers are still looking for a DC candidate and their OC candidate is a favorite for a HC job. They also just replaced their ST coach this month so I think Nolan and gang is edgy about letting people go.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #51
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
LoL. A few thousand bucks - that wouldn't even be enough to compensate the 49ers for the scouting and interviewing they'd have to do for replacement candidates.

I think a 3rd or 4th would get talks started. The 49ers are still looking for a DC candidate and their OC candidate is a favorite for a HC job. They also just replaced their ST coach this month so I think Nolan and gang is edgy about letting people go.
good info, thanks rabbit...you are usually so useless.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:53 PM   #52
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Quote:
good info, thanks rabbit...you are usually so useless.
I try my hardest to be useless but nobody's perfect.

Last edited by rabbitproof; 01-30-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #53
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:

a 3rd round pick for a linebackers coach? Theres no way in hell.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:58 PM   #54
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
a 3rd round pick for a linebackers coach? Theres no way in hell.
but for a Defensive Coordinator?

Old 01-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #55
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
but for a Defensive Coordinator?
hes not their defensive coordinator and no on that too. Hell a second got javon walker last year who is a top 8-10 receiver in the nfl.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #56
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Would be a DC coach but I'm just ballparking it. Negotiations may take it down a round but the Cowboys will have to make the 49ers an offer they can't refuse because Mike and Mike are pretty tight and like I said, Nolan does not want to lose any more people. 49ers also fired the defensive line coach this offseason so that would be almost a complete turnover of his defensive lieutenants if Singletary goes.

Besides, Singletary has interviewed for atleast 2 HC positions in the last calender year or so.. 3 counting Dallas... I'm not so sure he wants to leave to begin with. He seems to be held in high-regard around the league and is getting opportunities now. Should be a matter of time before he goes big-time if the 49ers keep improving.

EDIT: I'd do it for a 5th (explain why at the bottom) but I'd recommend moving on personally. While I think Singletary is a helluva defensive coach, he reminds me of a Jack Del Rio and has that star name young players' coach feel to him - also a la Avery Johnson or Jason Garrett. He's interviewed for the open 49ers DC position himself and rumors are Nolan is holding off on him because he truly believes Singletary is HC-bound in one-two years and doesn't want to deal with more transition.

Last edited by rabbitproof; 01-30-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:05 PM   #57
Five-ofan
Guru

since the pick would be "compensation" it would need to be based on what THEY are losing, not what the cowboys are gaining. Hes not their defensive coordinator so im sorry but you dont compensate them like hes a DC. Honestly i wouldnt have a problem with him being here but its not like its a make or break thing if he is here or isnt.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #58
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about you guys, but I want him as head coach! Let someone else take care of the X's and O's.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:16 PM   #59
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Don't know about you guys, but I want him as head coach! Let someone else take care of the X's and O's.
I don't have a good enough feel for the situation...but I DO love the quality of man he is.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #60
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Actually, It's on whatever the 49ers are willing to let him go for.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #61
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

5.0 is right, you don't give up a pick for a linebackers coach. We're not talking about Dick Lebeau or Jimmy Johnson. Singletery has never even coordinated a defense. I'd love to have him here but Jerry's not that crazy.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #62
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Actually, It's on whatever the 49ers are willing to let him go for.
and if they wont let him go for anything less than a draft pick than the cowboys dont hire him. Its as simple as that.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #63
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Sure.

No sweat off the 49ers' back. It's not like they're trying to unload him. Both teams go their happy ways.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #64
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The Niners aren't going to make any friends, with Singletary or any other coaches around the league, if they prevent Singletary from getting what would clearly be a promotion.

If he's not doing any coordinating there, but would be here, that's a sizeable promotion. Doubt they would do much to block it if Jerry wanted Singletary as DC. After all, for whatever reason they don't want him as their own DC.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:16 PM   #65
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Nobody knows what will happen but I would bet against it. Mike and Mike go back to Baltimore and was one of the first assistants Nolan brought on when hired.

Singletary is also assistant head coach in his title and has addressed the entire team before games and different units during games for what it's worth. So it's not like he is 'just' a linebacker coach.

If Singletary wanted it, Nolan would let him go, albeit still with some form of compensation (the rule was put in for a reason, what, I don't know, but teams will use it). However, like my other post said, he's in a really good spot now and on the fast-track to becoming a head coach, so I'm not sure he would fight tooth and nail to get out of his position right now.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:09 AM   #66
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Singletary out in SF? The 49ers have hired a new defensive coordinator.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2750684
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:16 AM   #67
chumdawg
Guru

Might go a long way toward tipping the scales against Phillips (though I think that's a foregone conclusion, anyway).
Old 02-02-2007, 03:20 AM   #68
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Singletary ain't going nowhere. He keeps his Assistant HC title and keeps getting interviews for the HC position.

I'd bet against either Niner candidate joining the Dallas staff.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:22 AM   #69
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Singletary ain't going nowhere. He keeps his Assistant HC title and keeps getting interviews for the HC position.

I'd bet against either Niner candidate joining the Dallas staff.
two things, one you realize that assistant head coach doesnt mean jack right? and 2 you realize hes not gonna go from linebackers coach to head coach most likely. there is an in between step.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:05 AM   #70
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Quote:
two things, one you realize that assistant head coach doesnt mean jack right? and 2 you realize hes not gonna go from linebackers coach to head coach most likely. there is an in between step.

depends on what jack means... jack as in nothing? wrong! singletary is given more responsibility then your average position coach. in general, it does mean something otherwise it would not be there. and two, while generally true, it is not a rule.

edit: ahhh, i see where you're going with this. look, you can wish and hope but don't put any bets on singletary leaving for a dc position with the boys.

Last edited by rabbitproof; 02-02-2007 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #71
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Mort just reported on Sportscenter that Wade Phillips is the new front runner, for whatever that's worth.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:07 PM   #72
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

All I have to say is thank God the article in the original post ended up being incorrect. I screamed against Norv being hired, and it's nice to be right for once.

Not saying Wade is elite or anything. Garrett clearly has a lot to do with our success so far, but Norv Turner is simply a terrible head coach, and this year is going to remove all the "it was Washington and Oakland" excuses.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #73
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

do we have the coach of the year
and mvp

?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:29 AM   #74
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

we shall see.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote