Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #81
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

they don't travel to atlanta, to tampa, to miami, or to carolina. not one game within an eight hour drive of me. very disappointed.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #82
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
An Unfiltered Letter from Dallas Stars President Jim Lites

July 12, 2007

Dear Stars fan,

There have been a lot of things written and said over the last two weeks, many of which have painted a negative perception of the Dallas Stars as a hockey club and where we are headed in the future. We've been called everything from 'stupid' to 'asleep at the wheel' to 'out of touch,' simply because we did not make a big splash in the free agent market.

I'm here to tell you that these beliefs, columns, opinions and statements couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, it's downright unfair. Contrary to what some have written or said, we haven't gone stupid overnight and we do have a plan in place.

The Dallas Stars have been the second-most successful team in the entire NHL over the last 11 years. We're proud of that mark, and you should be too, for your support has been a big factor in our success. Do we wish we had more hardware? Absolutely, but the consistent success we've achieved over the years cannot be ignored.

We were one of the best teams in the league again last season. The Stars won 50 games and earned 107 points, finishing just three points behind Pacific Division and Stanley Cup champ Anaheim (who we beat four times). And we did this while having the fifth-most man-games lost due to injury, most of which were our best players (Modano and Morrow). And we played our best hockey against the best teams (going 23-15-4 vs. all other playoff teams).

That's the good news. But obviously a first round loss in the playoffs was disappointing for all of us, and that is what people remember and center their attention on. That's understandable. We all want to win in the playoffs.

But in the new NHL, there are no longer “upsets” in the first round. All eight playoff teams in the West could have easily won the conference. The “new NHL” includes first round match-ups that are much closer than in the old system. The playing field is more level than ever before.

Some believe that we should make wholesale changes to this club because we have struggled in the playoffs of late. We disagree. It would be irresponsible of us to trade some of our core players because we believe that won't make us better. At the end of the day we would punish the fans and ourselves.

Would we like to add scoring? Yes. But we have to operate under the salary cap and do the best we can with the chips we have to play with at the table. We want to give ourselves the best chance for success, both short and long term. What we can't do is take unreasonable risks on contracts, which was something we could do under the old system. We can't take an extra center on a long-term deal and see if we can make him change positions and make him fit into our system. We tried that with Pierre Turgeon and it didn't work. That was OK when it was just money. We can't take that risk now with the salary cap.

These might sound like excuses to some but it is the reality of the business model we are in.

Doug Armstrong has done an excellent job in firming up our roster. He was able to sign Brenden Morrow and Jere Lehtinen to extensions one year ago at money and term that are fair and make sense. Then Doug traded for Mattias Norstrom at the trade deadline. These moves basically spent a lot of the possible money that would have been available for this year's crop of free agents. Any team that would have added these three players to their roster on July 1 would have been very happy.

That said, we were very much interested in adding a player to bolster our scoring (and still are). In essence, we have about a $4 million slot available to try and sign someone and we held discussions with several key free agents on July 1. In the end, all of our targets ended up getting more money and/or more term than we were comfortable with.

Many of the contracts that were signed by free agents in the first 24 hours of free agency were for what we like to call “stupid money.” In our opinion, several teams drastically overpaid to sign these free agents and they are now tied to contracts for many years that they may regret in the future because of the way it will hinder their roster movement.

We refuse to mortgage our future simply to sign a free agent in July and appease the media. We're not going to sign a player to win a PR battle; we'll sign free agents to contracts that will help us win hockey games. We're going to do whatever it takes to get better but you have to make good smart decisions, because mistakes in this system can kill you.

There are still options available to add players to our roster. One possibility is making a trade to add that scorer. But the bottom line is that we will not make a move unless we feel it is the right one. And we don't need to make that move in July.

Some have asked me what kind of a team we're going to have this season. I think it's going to be a good one. Take last year's 50-win team and put it up against our roster right now. The main differences are Mattias Norstrom replacing Darryl Sydor, Joel Lundqvist replacing Eric Lindros, and Todd Fedoruk replacing Matthew Barnaby. Then look around our division and our conference and ask yourself has anyone gotten better? None of the playoff teams have. And our roster that you see today is probably not the final roster you will see on opening night. We will continue to look for a way to add scoring punch to this lineup.

There are three main things that a team needs to have to be successful in the NHL -- a quality goaltender, a productive offensive defenseman, and talented center-ice men. We feel we are in very good shape in all three of these areas for 2007-08.

Marty Turco is one of the best goaltenders in the league and is under contract for the next three years. We also feel very good about Mike Smith in his role as Marty's back-up. We just extended Sergei Zubov's contract through 2009. We expect him to again anchor our blue-liners and be an important player for us. And we think we're in good shape at the center position with Mike Modano, Mike Ribeiro and Jeff Halpern. We're talented and can compete.

Every decision we make is done to win hockey games. We've always spent to the cap and always will, thanks to a great owner in Tom Hicks. Money is not an issue. The Dallas Stars are about winning. We've won in the past, we're going to win this season, and we're going to win in the future.

As always, I want to hear from you. Please send me any feedback to StarsPresident@DallasStars.com or call me at 214-387-5502.

Thank you for your support of the Dallas Stars. Have a great summer!

2 things:

1. Bite me, you have not improved your offense yet. Until you do, you should expect the mediocrity (or worse) that we came to expect last season.

2. I think it's funny that we (the fans) really have them riled up good.

Seriously....look at last season. You can't seriously sit there and say you think you can get the same results again. Yeah december and january were really rough, but look at the beinning of the season. What were they? like 9-1 to start off or something?

If they didn't have that awesome start last season, they would not have made the playoffs.

Find the offense, Jim. Find it or find 10th place in the conference next year.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #83
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

p.s.

3 of the top 4 teams in the Conference Finals were top 5 in goal scoring.

HINT HINT
Old 07-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #84
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

I believe the ducks have gotten better didn't they sign bertuzzi. This is just a weak attempt at looking like they care about winning. All tom hicks cares about is money and he can make it win or lose. Why don't they try having a sliding price scale based on success in the playoffs such as when we don't do well the ticket prices are cheaper and if we are a kick ass stanley cup winning team they could rape us like they do now. That seems fair enough and I am guessing that would keep them hungry to win and make the right moves. fucking bitches.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #85
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

DALLAS STARS SIGN MIKE RIBEIRO AND JOEL LUNDQVIST TO NEW CONTRACTS
Ribeiro Receives One-Year Contract, While Lundqvist Inked For Two Seasons

FRISCO, Tex. – Dallas Stars General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today that the club has signed center Mike Ribeiro to a one-year contract worth $2,800,000 for the 2007-08 season, and center Joel Lundqvist to a two-year, $1,450,000 contract ($700,000 this season and $750,000 for 2008-09).

“We are very pleased to have reached agreements on new contracts with Mike Ribeiro and Joel Lundqvist,” said Armstrong. “Mike brought a great deal of playmaking and offensive ability in his first year with our club and we look forward to his continued contributions. Joel’s rookie season was a positive one and we envision his role increasing as he gains more experience in the NHL.”

Ribeiro, 27, led the Stars in scoring in his first season with the club, notching 59 points (18 goals, 41 assists) in 81 games, and added three assists and four penalty minutes in Dallas’ seven playoff games during the 2007 postseason. His 41 assists in the regular season ranked third on the Stars, while his 18 goals were good for fourth on the team. He collected 15 multiple-point games in 2006-07 (second only to Sergei Zubov’s 16) and skated in his 300th career NHL game on Nov. 30 at Washington.

The 6-0, 178-pound center was acquired by the Stars from his hometown Montreal Canadiens with a 2008 sixth-round draft pick in exchange for Janne Niinimaa and a 2007 fifth-round draft pick on Sept. 30, 2006. After missing Dallas’ season-opener at Colorado, Ribeiro played in 81 consecutive games for the club, topped only by the 82 games played by Niklas Hagman and Stu Barnes.

In 357 career NHL games, the Montreal native has posted 68 goals and 144 assists for 212 points with 114 penalty minutes. He has skated in 24 career Stanley Cup playoff games, posting two goals and six assists for eight points with 22 penalty minutes. Ribeiro’s best offensive season came in 2003-04, when he led the Canadiens in points (65) and assists (45) and was third in goals (20). Ribeiro was originally drafted by Montreal in the second round (No. 45 overall) of the 1998 Entry Draft.

Lundqvist, 25, skated in 36 games as a rookie for Dallas last season, recording three goals and three assists for six points with 14 penalty minutes. He tied for the team lead with two goals in Dallas’ seven playoff games vs. Vancouver. The 6-1, 194-pound center led the club in faceoff percentage (62.6%) and scored his first NHL goal on Jan. 17 vs. Calgary.

The native of Are, Sweden, also appeared in 40 games for the AHL Iowa Stars in 2006-07, posting 38 points (16 goals, 22 assists) and 30 penalty minutes. Despite playing in less than half of Iowa’s games, he placed tied for third in points and tied for fourth in goals. His six goals and 10 points in nine Calder Cup Playoff games led the Iowa Stars, as the club advanced into the second round of the AHL postseason.

Originally drafted by Dallas in the third round (No. 68 overall) of the 2000 Entry Draft, Lundqvist has represented Sweden at the 2006 World Championships, the 2002 World Juniors and the 2000 World Under-18 Championships. Lundqvist played against his twin brother and New York Rangers goaltender, Henrik, on Dec. 14, becoming just the third set of twins to play against each other in NHL history.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #86
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Ribeiro for one year only? sh%%T!

That dude is trying to get a big pay day next year. Jerk. I guess we'll be watching him go elsewhere. I love that guy thought, he was a genius last year.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #87
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I'm happy they got him to wait for the big deal. I'm a huge Ribs believer, but it's nice to make sure he can repeat. If he does, I'll happily pay the man to play here through the prime of his career. He's only 27! I still can't believe that. He's the same age as Mietts!

Good to get these two done. Now let me tell you what I wish they'd stop doing...stop spinning, Mr Lites. There's nothing you can say that will make us feel better. What's done is done, you chose not to get in on the frenzy. I don't like it, but it was a decision you made. You said you'll spend the money sooner or later, fine. I will hold you to that. But please, stop talking. B/c really, all it does is make me angrier.

EDIT: Do yourselves a favor & go check out the new Ribs highlight reel up at http://www.dallasstars.com. Exxxxxcellent. Love watching his moves.

Last edited by ames7; 07-12-2007 at 05:23 PM.
ames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #88
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
EDIT: Do yourselves a favor & go check out the new Ribs highlight reel up at http://www.dallasstars.com. Exxxxxcellent. Love watching his moves.
Nice.

I hope they give a few more minutes here or there to him. He and Brendan seemed to play well together. Might want to try to fit Eriksson with them this season. Or god forbid they let Junior Lessard play with the big club.

I hope they keep that Barnes/Lundqvist/Halpern line together, but I have a feeling they're hoping that Joel can turn into a little more of a top 6 guy. I'm not holding my breath.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #89
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Now let me tell you what I wish they'd stop doing...stop spinning, Mr Lites. There's nothing you can say that will make us feel better. What's done is done, you chose not to get in on the frenzy. I don't like it, but it was a decision you made. You said you'll spend the money sooner or later, fine. I will hold you to that. But please, stop talking. B/c really, all it does is make me angrier.
I understand how you feel, but I'm just happy that he isn't screaming or kicking the proverbial dog.

I guess his kind of ire is part of a hockey person's makeup.

Last edited by Smiles; 07-13-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:25 AM   #90
ilMavvento

ilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
p.s.

3 of the top 4 teams in the Conference Finals were top 5 in goal scoring.

HINT HINT
That's only true for the playoffs themselves, which is kind of self-evident in a Madden way.

As for the regular season:
#1 Sabres, #2 Senators, #9 Ducks, #10 Wings

And the farm system isn't "dry". If you want dry, go back to the Gainey era.

Lites shouldn't have said anything. If people are going to bitch, let them. This just makes it look like they don't have the guts to stick to their plan.
ilMavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:50 AM   #91
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilMavvento
That's only true for the playoffs themselves, which is kind of self-evident in a Madden way.

As for the regular season:
#1 Sabres, #2 Senators, #9 Ducks, #10 Wings

And the farm system isn't "dry". If you want dry, go back to the Gainey era.

Lites shouldn't have said anything. If people are going to bitch, let them. This just makes it look like they don't have the guts to stick to their plan.
Alright, top 10 then. The point remains perfectly valid.

I pump literally thousands of dollards into this franchise a year, and I know what's going on. And yes, the farm system is dry. This Grossman kid might be something, but other than that, none of the wingers in development can put the puck in the net.

They have not produced anything of value since morrow. Miettinen: bust, Jokkinen: bust, Eriksson: bust, Lessard: bust. Chris Conner: yeah we'll see, but probably bust.

Meanwhile, the damned red wings have SIXTH ROUND PICKs lik Zetterberg just murdering people out there. We traded our picks for guys like Nagy, who we promptly let go.

That letter from Lites was mostly a letter saying "I'm sorry we don't have picks or GOOD young prospects to deal for someone who can score on the wing," but of course he would never say that. That's the main problem though. And that can only be put on the scouts and the GM.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #92
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

right on once again laco. Man I agree with everything you say about this franchise. We should get together and watch a game sometime. But even though I can't stand the direction this franchise is going. I still will remain loyal as hell to them because they are my team. I don't spend nearly as much as you do on them(I am lucky my girlfriends boss is the head team physician and we get great seats several times a year) but I go to games when I can afford to. It makes me sick the way the ownership plays the fans and spews bullshit about the ability of this team to contend. Truth be told we have made one bad move after another since we were beaten by new jersey the year after we won the cup. It has went down hill since then and now I feel like it is really going to snow ball. I think tippett will end up taking the fall but with the shit he has been given to work with, its not his fault. Damn management sucks.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:14 PM   #93
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I think Lites and Army should take the fall. Too bad too, Army's a real nice guy, but he just hasn't made the right moves for the long run. And I know that's a tough standard, because really, who has? Teams win the cup or make the Finals and then don't even make the playoffs the next year. It's such a crap shoot.

We've been lucky that they have been so succesful, but we'll come up on hard times here in a couple of years.

Mo and Sergei have been great "deoderants" for the stuff that stinks around here, but they won't be around much longer.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:51 AM   #94
ilMavvento

ilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I pump literally thousands of dollards into this franchise a year, and I know what's going on. And yes, the farm system is dry. This Grossman kid might be something, but other than that, none of the wingers in development can put the puck in the net.

They have not produced anything of value since morrow. Miettinen: bust, Jokkinen: bust, Eriksson: bust, Lessard: bust. Chris Conner: yeah we'll see, but probably bust.

Meanwhile, the damned red wings have SIXTH ROUND PICKs lik Zetterberg just murdering people out there. We traded our picks for guys like Nagy, who we promptly let go.
Grossman, Fistric, Vishnevskiy, and Niskanen on D are all making serious strides to the NHL. Grossman should be full time, Fistric will likely get some call-ups, and if the D wasn't already so solid Niskanen would be seriously challenging for a spot already. As for forwards, Neal just finished tearing up juniors and is looking like a serious goal-scoring force. Lindgren is a year away and is the next Finnish playmaker. Pushkarev will likely get a shot at some point this year and is extremely skilled with the puck. Polak, Sertich, Conner, and Lessard are all quality players that can fill in when called upon. Centers in the lower levels are often moved to wing if a spot is available like Jokinen did in his first year.

Miettinen and Jokinen are busts? What kind of crazy criteria do you have for 7th and 6th round picks? Zetterberg is the enormous exception to the rule. Look through Detroit's drafting history. It's not that great. If they were some drafting powerhouse do you think their team would still be the oldest in the league?

I would also consider Daley "something of value".

The histrionics come across as incredibly jaded. Over the past 10 years the Stars have a record of 465-233-90-32 and a Cup. How many other teams can say that?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #95
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

They haven't been holding onto to Miettinen because he's developed his checking and defensive game (which he has), they've been holding onto him because they were hoping he'd be a 30 goal guy.

Early last season he was taking more shots than anyone. Lots and lots of shots. It didn't get him anything at all, and he faded. I don't know that his PIMs went up, but it sure felt like he was always taking one at a bad time.

Jokkinen, ok, he produces. He needs to shoot the damned puck more. He always defers to whoever he's with, which might be a product of playing so much with Mo and Lehts, but he showed flashes of having some good stuff while playing center with Hagman late last season. I wouldn't mind seeing that Fin line back together next year with those 3.

Both are "of value" for the price we've been paying. But neither turned into the pure goal scoring guy that they thought. And the playoff performances speak for themselves.

You're right about Daley. I love that guy. I like his offensive upside. I think he might take more chances this year, but not if they play him with Zubov.

I look forward to seeing Fistric this year a little. I have no idea about that guy.

Grossman made phenomenal progress last year. I remember the first time he played in a game last year...he was all over the place and took a bad penalty I think. Later in the season,he looked confident and less like a liability.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #96
ilMavvento

Well Miettinen is never going to be a 30 goal scorer. I'm not sure where you get the idea that the Stars thought he would be. They wanted him to take on the now infamous "expanded offensive role", but I don't think that equates to leading the team in scoring. If he ever scores 20 I would consider that a success. Your observation that he started off the year strong is right on. When he's on his game and playing with confidence he brings a puck possession offensive style to the table that no one else on the team quite has. He'll skate it off the boards and try to beat his man toward the net. When his confidence dwindles he starts missing the net by 10 feet and turning the puck over in the neutral zone. It's easy to forget some of the good moments in the playoffs like when he bulled his way to the net dragging Vancouver players with him and scored in Game 1.

Fistric is a another big guy like Grossman, but one who uses his size much more violently. He's also a capable skater and puck-mover with leadership qualities. His progress got delayed by 2 freak jaw injuries in juniors.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #97
wesbrynt

miettinen sucks and always will. I feel that the fins are easily over powered off of pucks and can be beaten with a physical style of hockey. With the exception of hagman who if his natural ability were one half of his effort would score 50 goals a year. I also agree with laco on miettinen always taking the bad penalty.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #98
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

http://stars.beloblog.com
Quote:
Columnist Kevin Sherrington took a Stars question in today's chat.

starsfan08: What do you make of Jim Lites' recent letter to Stars season-ticket holders? It seems like the organization is in apology mode an awful lot these days.

Kevin Sherrington: Just talking about that at lunch yesterday. Never seen a club issuing so many statements in such a short period. The Stars clearly don't think their message is getting out. Hard to sell this team and this concept, if you ask me. The rest of the media agree.
Hmmm.....

Oh and on Hagman..... I love that guy.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 07-17-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #99
ilMavvento

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbrynt
miettinen sucks and always will. I feel that the fins are easily over powered off of pucks and can be beaten with a physical style of hockey. With the exception of hagman who if his natural ability were one half of his effort would score 50 goals a year. I also agree with laco on miettinen always taking the bad penalty.
Miettinen plays a physical style of hockey. 3rd on the team in hits. At the same time he had all of 38 PIMs last year. Forwards like Lindros and Halpern were much more likely to take minor penalties.

And Lehtinen certainly isn't over-powered off pucks.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #100
Smiles
Diamond Member

DALLAS STARS TO HOLD DEVELOPMENT CAMP IN FRISCO FROM JULY 23-28
Skills Competition Featuring More Than 30 of Club’s Top Prospects To Take Place Sat., July 28
Dallas Native and 2007 Stars Draft Pick Austin Smith To Participate

FRISCO, Tex. – Dallas Stars General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today that the club will host a development camp for more than 30 of its top prospects beginning on Monday, July 23 at the Dr Pepper StarCenter in Frisco. The daily schedule includes on-ice and off-ice workouts, and the schedule for each day is listed below. All practice sessions are open to the public.

An entertaining skills competition will conclude the development camp at 10:45 a.m. on Saturday, July 28 at the Dr Pepper StarCenter in Frisco. The free event is open to the public and rosters will be distributed to everyone in attendance.

Media are encouraged to cover the camp and conduct interviews with the prospects. Players will be available after each morning’s on-ice workout. Please contact the Stars’ Communications department if you plan on coming to Frisco.

Among the notable players scheduled to attend the camp are: Dallas native Austin Smith, a Stars’ 2007 draft selection; first-round draft picks Ivan Vishnevskiy (2006), Matt Niskanen (2005) and Mark Fistric (2004); Matt Nickerson, former member of the NAHL Texas Tornado; North Texas natives Ben Van Lare and Adam Kraus; and Marty Sertich, the 2005 winner of the Hobey Baker Award, the ‘Heisman Trophy of college hockey.’

The 2007 development camp schedule (**) is as follows:

Monday, July 23
9:30 – 11:00 a.m. On-Ice Workout
11:15 – Noon Off-Ice Workout
12:00 – 12:30 p.m. Media Availability
2:00 – 3:30 p.m. On-Ice Workout

Tuesday, July 24

Wednesday, July 25

Thursday, July 26

Friday, July 27
2:00 – 3:30 p.m. On-Ice Workout

Saturday, July 28
10:45 a.m. – Noon Free Skills Competition
** Schedule is subject to change. Please contact the Stars Communications department to verify times.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:42 PM   #101
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I may check out that free skills competition. I don't live far from the DPSS in Frisco now.

Mostly, I'll just be curious about the ice conditions in late July.

I can't wait for camp to start. I have more vacation days this year than I really need, and I'm seriously considering trying to figure out what day Bob and Dan will be at Stars camp, and take a day off and go enjoy hockey funness in September.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #102
Smiles
Diamond Member

I'm not sure the ice is any worse off in July than it is at other times of the year (except during an ice storm maybe). As long as they continue to keep the building temp fit for hanging meat....

Could you email Bob & Dan to find out when they're @ camp? Let me know when/if you're going to be there.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #103
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

When we get closer to the end of august, I will e-mail Bob.

He and I have corresponded before about hockey, so I should probably be able to weasel it out of him.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:13 PM   #104
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
For those fans in the area, Stars president Jim Lites is the guest on Southwest Kia Sportstalk tonight at 6:30 p.m. on KFWD-TV (Ch. 52).
I assume he's going to kill puppies live on the air, or anounce the release of our most skilled players and a re-doubled effort to commit to a "defensive game" ?

Not really, I just wanted to bump this over the eye-sore that is the cowboys off-season thread....
Old 07-26-2007, 04:49 PM   #105
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

In more Stars "non-news"

They changed their web site completely : www.dallasstars.com

Also, the annual "Ice-Breaker" event will be at the Galleria again this year on the 8th of September. It's pretty cool, and it's only the kind of thing the hockey team can do(because if hte mavs or cowboys did this, the place would get too crazy). They split the players into 2's and 3's in various booths all over the mall, and you wait in line and you can get an autograph or trouble them for a photo, or whatever takes about 15 seconds.

Last year I was really surprised at the turnout. The lines were insane. I met Morrow and Stuuuuu and Zubie last year. I don't know if we'll go again this year. I already got my jersey signed by Brenden, and it's kind of a beating. But i bet by september I cave to hockey excitement and go.

Oh you can meet Ralph and Razor as well, and they'll have absolutely no line, but Ralph will big time you anways because he's kind of a jerk.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:04 PM   #106
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Miettinen getting a raise?

BOOOO! I say. Booo.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.3b48199.html
Quote:
Antti Miettinen is getting a raise this year.

How much of a raise is what concerns the Stars.

Miettinen, 27, filed for arbitration and is scheduled to have his hearing today in Toronto.

The decision to file could mean a huge bonus for Miettinen, who made the league-minimum $450,000 last season and had a qualifying offer of $495,000 this season. Already, 24-year-old Washington forward Brooks Laich has earned a $725,000 arbitration award, and he had just eight goals and 10 assists last season.

Miettinen had a bad season in many regards. He was given two more minutes of ice time a game (from 12:06 to 14:20) and also was given more chances to play on the top two lines and on the power play. Yet, he saw his production drop from the previous season.

In 2006-07, Miettinen had 11 goals and 14 assists in 74 games and was a minus-5. In 2005-06, Miettinen had 11 goals and 20 assists in 79 games and was even.

Still, there is a chance Miettinen could get a raise above $1 million because of where he slots next to players such as Laich. His representatives are expected to make arguments that Miettinen should be considered a top-level forward who is among the Stars' team leaders in hits. The Stars will argue that he is a hard-working player who has not yet seen results and was a healthy scratch for the final three games of the playoffs.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:17 PM   #107
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Still no news on how much of an undeserved raise Mietts will get. Andrews is saying it'll probably come down Monday.

Hope some of y'all got to go see some of development camp. Been reading the reports on the various Stars boards, very exciting to hear about guys like Neal, Fistric, Vishnevskiy & Niskanen, who all sound like they had good showings. The Stars don't have the best drafting/development reputation, but it seems like they have a nice crop of kids that will be making it up through Iowa in the next two years or so. I pretty much can't wait to see some of these guys play.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #108
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yet another reason why the Razor boy is the man:

Quote:
Antti-Up
I like Antti Miettinen as a player. Hes a good foot-soldier, complementary type winger, and is very responsible defensively, but if he gets a million or more in arbitration after falling to the occasion offensively last season I may champion the call for another lockout.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:44 PM   #109
ames7
Diamond Member

Mietts' arbitration ruling finally came down today...1yr/$885,000...an outcome that can only be described as not a complete disaster. He doubled his salary, which he didn't earn, but at least the arbitrator didn't do anything completely ridiculous. I don't hate Miettinen as a player. I just think he is what he is, we got a couple of him & there's a couple more where he came from. We got him for another year, if the situation's the same next time, I hope we walk away.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:30 PM   #110
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Mietts' arbitration ruling finally came down today...1yr/$885,000...an outcome that can only be described as not a complete disaster. He doubled his salary, which he didn't earn, but at least the arbitrator didn't do anything completely ridiculous. I don't hate Miettinen as a player. I just think he is what he is, we got a couple of him & there's a couple more where he came from. We got him for another year, if the situation's the same next time, I hope we walk away.
I could not have said it better myself.

I'd try him with Ribeiro and Morrow next year....even if he isn't a right wing.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #111
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Good news everyone! (or at least you 4 Stars and Mavs fans)

There are 32 (plus or minus) nights when the Stars and Mavs play on the same night.

That leaves 50 games for each without the other. That's 132 nights with at least one of them on TV.

Good lord, I hate summer time with SO much passion.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #112
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Good news everyone! (or at least you 4 Stars and Mavs fans)

There are 32 (plus or minus) nights when the Stars and Mavs play on the same night.

That leaves 50 games for each without the other. That's 132 nights with at least one of them on TV.

Good lord, I hate summer time with SO much passion.
Dont worry... The best sport of all will be here soon!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:05 AM   #113
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Happy bday, Marty Turco.

I didn't realize Turco was taken in the 5th round. Almost makes me want to take back some things I've said about the Stars drafting ability. Almost.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #114
ames7
Diamond Member

I kinda don't think their drafting ability is really that bad. They've got a bunch of prospects I'm actually really excited about. The problem is they don't have that homerun franchise player prospect to take Modano's place in a few years. (And are unlikely to get one any time soon since they've dealt away all their first rounders.) But still, it's not like they're the (baseball) Rangers, where there's very little up & coming talent. From following guys like Neal & Niskanen & Fistric, I'm pretty convinced they'll be impact players with Dallas before too long. I really like their approach this year, going after skill guys as opposed to the long-time Stars draft pick mold of "gritty two-way player." Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I think their drafting is trending up.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #115
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I just ordered my half season!
Old 08-14-2007, 10:59 AM   #116
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just ordered my half season!
do you feel taken advantage of yet?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #117
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Naa...you don't start to feel really used until mid january when the New York Islanders are up 3-0 in the 2nd and the lady behind you spilled her wine on your jersey.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:09 AM   #118
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Angry

Quote:
Naa...you don't start to feel really used until mid january when the New York Islanders are up 3-0 in the 2nd and the lady behind you spilled her wine on your jersey.
a sad day indeed.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 08-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #119
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Now on to the arduous task of convincing my wife that we also need a bunch of mavs game tickets....
Old 08-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #120
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Now on to the arduous task of convincing my wife that we also need a bunch of mavs game tickets....
just do that thing to her that she likes so much....

...you know, the one where you take out your wallet and give her the credit card and say "have fun!"......yeah.....that'll work